Wave is a free online accounting, bookkeeping, and invoicing software. For additional fees, you can also accept online payments and run payroll for your employees.
We compiled reviews from our own website plus user reviews from around the web to determine what Wave customers think about the company. We also compared the most popular pricing options for small business owners.
Wave Customer Reviews
Ease of Use: Good
Customer Service: Good
Summary of User Reviews
We scoured hundreds of reviews and found that Wave has generally positive ratings. Here’s what we found:
What Wave does well:
From the reviews we read, clients were happy with the fact that Wave is a fully featured accounting software that they can use for free. Small businesses can send invoices, scan receipts and use the accounting software at no cost.
What Wave does not do well:
The biggest complaint users had with Wave was unprofessional and slow customer service. If you want anything besides slow email support you have to pay $19 per month just to get phone and chat support.
Most Helpful Positive User Review
“I love this product. Being a small cleaning business, much of my accounting and administrative work is done by my fiancee, while I’m out in the field. I could tell she was frustrated with the other software we were using. She found Wave and nearly cried, she was that happy.
A couple points about Wave she loves:
- It’s web-based, meaning we can access our account anywhere, not just our office.
- Every aspect a small business needs is free. Small businesses don’t need all the bells and whistles of software that will run you hundreds of dollars a year.
- Creating an invoice is incredibly fast and easy, and most of the work is done by the computer. You don’t need to be an accountant to work your way around Wave.
- The charts/graphs and reports that you can generate through Wave are fascinating to analyze. We know exactly how much to take out in taxes, and we know the status of every single open invoice.
- We don’t need other programs to generate estimates or contact lists. Wave is so much more than just an accounting application. It packs a mean punch and definitely delivers. I don’t anticipate us switching to another program any time soon.”
— Bryan Korsakoff
Most Helpful Negative User Review
“One sad truth about this company that you’ll notice right away is that their servers or hosting is worse than my blog was in 1980. It is slow, freezes and crashes all the time. Way too annoying to work with on a daily basis for a professional company. Bottom line: the system is unreliable.
Moving along to the stuff that matters even more.
Customer service, honesty and professionalism. Uum, try again. You will not find any of that in this company. It seems like it being ran by a family in their mid 50’s and higher. They clearly have no clue what it means to run a professional service.”
— Nate Mandel
Other Wave User Reviews From Around the Web
Here are a few other resources for finding helpful Wave customer reviews. We rated the review sites on a scale from poor to excellent based on how trustworthy and useful the reviews seemed.
|User Review Website||Average Rating*||Number of Reviews||Quality of Reviews|
|G2Crowd||4.5 out of 5||38 reviews||Good|
|Trust Radius||7.8 out of 10 (accounting)|
7 out of 10 (payroll)
|Better Business Bureau||0 out of 5||18 complaints||Fair|
*Average rating as of date article was written: Jan. 11, 2017
How We Determined Quality of User Review Websites
- G2 Crowd has excellent quality reviews from verified users, and asks specific questions that most respondents gave well thought out answers to.
- TrustRadius has a lot of reviews from customers and divides the reviews according to different products from the companies. However, vendors can invite customers to review their products in the site and reviewers must state if they receive any incentive for reviewing the company’s products. Reviews with incentives tend to lower the credibility of the review even when it is clearly disclosed that reviewers were given an incentive by the company to review.
- Better Business Bureau doesn’t have any reviews on its website; however, it warrants addition to this list as the company has received 18 complaints on the website, which is worth reading for potential clients.
|Credit Card Processing||2.9% + 30¢ per transaction|
|Payroll||$15 base fee plus $4 per employee|
|Plus Package (enables Chat Support)||$9 per month|
|Advanced Package (enables Phone and Live Chat Support)||$19 per month|
Wave offers invoicing, accounting and receipt scanning products for free. Aside from that, they have additional features that you can take advantage of. The payroll fee of $4 per employee only applies for the first 10 employees; you can take advantage of a discount for every employee after the first 10. Companies in New York, Texas, Florida and California need to pay an additional $10 per month for payroll tax services.
Best Pricing Option for Small Business Owners
The free features are enough for start-up businesses and self-employed service providers. The additional payroll service might prove to be impractical, unless your business has a lot of employees. Most new companies found no need to stray away from the basic, free features and fortunately, Wave doesn’t pressure or obligate you to try their Plus and Advanced packages.
Compare Wave Apps Competitors
Not sure if Wave is the right fit for you? Read our accounting software comparison guide or check out one of these three Wave competitors.