A real estate broker’s license lets the holder establish a real estate firm or manage a team of agents. However, professionals must first complete real estate broker courses to qualify for the exam and attend more to maintain their broker’s license. We evaluated a dozen real estate broker course providers to determine the top six based on price, available coursework, and support.
All of our picks feature online real estate broker courses as this option gives professionals the flexibility to complete coursework at their own pace and minimizes time away from clients in the field. However, while most states will accept online continuing education, not all states allow you to complete the initial prelicensing coursework online. Therefore, you should always first check your state’s requirements before enrolling in any real estate broker course.
Best Providers of Real Estate Broker Courses
(Best overall) Students who want the largest variety of course format options
Brokers looking for a large variety of continuing education courses for license renewal
Aspiring brokers looking for a course provider with extremely high customer satisfaction
Agents who want an individualized study guide to prepare for the broker exam
Agents looking for the most affordable broker course options
Brokers who want to become more marketable with professional certifications
How We Evaluated the Best Real Estate Broker Courses
Real estate brokers are required to complete a number of courses prior to applying to take the broker’s licensing exam, but the specific number varies by state. In addition, brokers are then expected to complete ongoing courses to meet continuing education (CE) requirements, all while serving the needs of their real estate clients. Therefore, to determine the best real estate courses, we evaluated providers based on multiple use cases.
These criteria we used to evaluate the best real estate broker classes consisted of the following:
- Number of states served for broker prelicensing or continuing education
- Variety of courses offered and length of access to materials
- Access to instructors and supported online course formats
- Customer satisfaction
- Customer support
Given these criteria, Kaplan offers the best class options if you want to become a real estate broker. Its courses offer the most variety in terms of topics, class formats, and prices. Also, and most importantly, whether you take Kaplan’s courses on-demand, via a live webinar, in-person, or through home study, you will be given the most thorough and detailed education of the providers on our list.
Kaplan: Best Overall for Real Estate Broker Courses
What it is: Kaplan is an online real estate school with the largest variety of course formats, including live, on-demand, in-person, and home study course options.
What makes it great for real estate brokers: Kaplan offers varying real estate broker classes in 22 states and allows students to choose which method of learning is easiest for them. This makes Kaplan best for aspiring real estate brokers looking for the ability to choose course format and topic.
Pros of Kaplan
Cons of Kaplan
Supports multiple learning styles
Courses can be more expensive than other schools on the list
Offers broker prelicensing classes in 13 states
Only 6 months of course access
Course information updated regularly
- Prices range from: $79 for exam prep in Oregon to $448 for prelicensing in California
- Prelicensing in Texas: Ranges from $105 to $889
- Prelicensing in New York: $349
- Prelicensing in California: Ranges from $93 to $448
- Prelicensing in Florida: Ranges from $345 to $395
- Courses offered on demand, in a live webinar, live classes with instructors, or home study
- Some states offer broker prelicensing courses, exam prep, and continuing education courses
- Broker CE classes are available individually and in packages
- Option to order physical textbooks with the home study option
- Some states offer in-person courses
- In-depth professional development course available
- Includes interactive webinars
- 24-hour tech support
What Students Say About Kaplan
Kaplan boasts hundreds of glowing, 5-star reviews. Almost all previous students who reviewed the platform on Trustpilot and Indeed note that Kaplan’s course content is extremely in-depth and thoroughly prepares them for a career as a broker. A few unhappy reviews stated that going through the courses took too much time. For more details, read our Kaplan reviews page.
The CE Shop: Best for Continuing Education (CE) Course Variety
What it is: The CE Shop is an online school that offers a large variety of high-quality real estate broker continuing education courses in 30 states.
What makes it great for real estate brokers: The CE Shop features mobile-friendly courses covering a wide range of continuing education topics not offered by other education providers, such as the environmental movement’s impact on real estate and an in-depth dive into real estate technology, tools, and trends. This makes it a great choice for real estate professionals who want to use their CE requirements to learn more about a variety of future-facing real estate topics.
Pros of The CE Shop
Cons of The CE Shop
24/7 customer support
Lacks video or live classes
Highest course topic variety for continuing education
Only offers broker prelicensing courses for 9 states
Allows you to access materials for up to 12 months
The CE Shop Pricing
- Prelicensing in Texas: $731
- Prelicensing in New York: $195 to $505
- Prelicensing in California: $105 for individual, 30-hour courses
- Trial period: Five-day free trial
- Money-back guarantee: 30 days
The CE Shop Features
- Exam prep courses include unlimited practice exams
- All courses are online
- Includes a built-in math guide
- Course access for 12 months
- Customer support available 24/7 through phone, email, and live chat
- Industry-leading pass rates in New York and Texas
What Students Say About The CE Shop
There are thousands of reviews for The CE Shop on Trustpilot, and they are largely 5-star reviews. Many students say that The CE Shop courses make difficult, confusing, or boring information simple and easy to understand by breaking it down into small sections. You can read more about what other students are saying by visiting The CE Shop’s reviews page.
McKissock Learning: Best for Customer Satisfaction
What it is: McKissock Learning is an online real estate school with the highest rate of customer satisfaction. It is partnered with Real Estate Express, so there are prelicensing, exam prep, and CE real estate broker classes available in 30 states between the two schools.
What makes it great for real estate brokers: McKissock offers multiple streamlined ways to get support for tech issues, questions, or instructor help. McKissock also boasts more customer reviews than any other real estate school and still maintains excellent ratings on multiple review platforms. For this reason, McKissock is best for aspiring brokers who are seeking the highest level of customer support.
Pros of McKissock
Cons of McKissock
Exam prep courses include a pass guarantee
Websites can be confusing to navigate
Classes include one-on-one instructor support
Only offers broker prelicensing in 6 states
High customer satisfaction rates
Customer support is not available 24/7
McKissock Learning Pricing
- Prelicensing in Texas: $888
- Prelicensing in New York: $249
- Prelicensing in California: $319 to $399
- Prelicensing in Florida: $199 to $398
- Exam prep add-on course: $99
McKissock Learning Features
- Broker courses and packages are available in California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Missouri, and New York
- All classes are online
- Courses include two e-books and discussion board
- Course access for 12 months
- Exam prep course includes practice tests and flashcards
- Monthly CE Plus Membership includes access to all CE courses in your state, product discounts, job aids, a webinar library, and education specialists
- Non-credit professional development webinars for a fee
What Students Say About McKissock Learning
McKissock displays hundreds of reviews on their website, and they also have a high rating of 4.5 on Indeed. Students say that the courses are extremely well organized, easy to use, and helpful. A small handful of users expressed minor issues, like the lack of video. You can learn more about McKissock’s offerings by visiting our McKissock Learning reviews page.
Mbition – Learn Real Estate: Best Personalized Exam Preparation
What it is: Mbition – Learn Real Estate is a school offering online real estate broker classes in 12 states. Mbition is the best choice for real estate professionals who want in-depth training to prepare for the broker exam.
What makes it great for aspiring real estate brokers: Mbition – Learn Real Estate’s Prep xL is a unique add-on program. It is designed to assess your existing knowledge of topics on the real estate broker exam so you can focus on the areas you don’t know as well. This customization saves time and makes Mbition the best choice for real estate professionals looking for a tailored curriculum to better help them prepare for the broker exam.
Pros of Mbition – Learn Real Estate
Cons of Mbition – Learn Real Estate
Prep xL courses offer a pass guarantee
Course access only 6 months
Affordable exam prep courses
Only offers courses in 8 states
Only school to offer classes specifically for reciprocity
Mbition – Learn Real Estate Pricing
- Prep xL: Ranges from $49 to 129, depending on state
- Exam prep in Texas: $79 to $129
- Prelicensing in New York: $249
- Prelicensing in California: $299
- Prelicensing in Florida: $300
Discounts are also frequently available.
Mbition – Learn Real Estate Features
- Over 1,600 practice questions
- Variety of real estate textbooks available
- Instructors available through phone or email
- Course access for six months
- Interactive study aids
- Mobile-friendly courses
- Customer support available by phone or email during business hours
What Students Say About Mbition – Learn Real Estate
Reviews of Mbition are largely positive. Previous students said that customer service was quick and helpful, and that the courses were extremely thorough and prepared them well for the exam and a career as a broker. You can read more about how this school can help you further your broker career by visiting our Mbition – Learn Real Estate reviews page.
360training: Most Affordable Courses
What it is: 360training is an online training platform offering courses for real estate prelicensure, continuing education, and ongoing professional development.
What makes it great for aspiring real estate brokers: 360training provides straightforward prelicensing, exam prep, and CE courses for real estate brokers at a fraction of the price of other schools. This makes 360training the best choice for aspiring brokers who want the most affordable classes that will teach the basics before the exam.
Pros of 360training
Cons of 360training
National broker’s exam prep course
Lacks video and live trainings
Additional real estate math course for career growth
Customer support only available during business hours
Only offers prelicensing in Texas and Washington
- Broker exam prep courses: $30 in Montana; $79 in four other states
- Prelicensing in Texas: $634
- Prelicensing in Washington: $125 to $164
- National broker exam prep course is designed to assess your previous knowledge before taking your state-specific exam
- All courses are online
- Courses in environmental health, safety, and food and beverage can be niche specialties for brokers
- Create a ticket to get instructor support
- Course access for 12 months
What Students Say About 360training
360training has some strong reviews and loyal customers who have said its courses are well-organized and easy to use. Other users have suggested that its courses are not as in-depth as others and offer more of a basic overview of the subjects. You can learn more about this school’s courses and offerings for broker education by visiting our 360training reviews page.
Center for Realtor Development: Best for Professional Designations & Certifications
What it is: The Center for Realtor Development (CRD) is an organization that specializes in specific real estate niches, certifications, and designations.
What makes it great for aspiring real estate brokers: While the Center of Realtor Development (CRD) does not offer the coursework required to gain your broker’s license, it does offer programs designed around certifications such the Military Relocation Professional (MRP) Certification or the Real Estate Negotiation Expert (RENE) Certification. This makes it a great option for licensed brokers who are looking for a way to make their firm stand out from the competition.
Pros of Center for Realtor Development
Cons of Center for Realtor Development
Extensive course topic choices
Does not offer prelicensing or exam prep
New resources are continually developed
Only offers a few CE courses
Designations and certifications
The Center for Realtor Development Pricing
- Annual National Association of Realtors (NAR) membership: $150
- Course pricing: Varies, ranging from $30 to $735
CRD is offering a 30% discount on all courses through August 31, 2020. Additionally, there is a 50% discount on the At Home With Diversity Course until June 30, 2020.
The Center for Realtor Development Features
- Variety of professional development topics like diversity, short sales, negotiation, and green housing
- CRD continually develops classes and events to support realtors
- Professional development courses are available in different formats
- Courses can include discussion boards, checklists, forms, videos, and lessons from experts
- Course access for 12 months
- Customer support is available through live chat, phone, or email seven days a week
What Students Say About The Center for Realtor Development
Realtors around the country have recommended the CRD as a school that is continually helping them grow. It is always keeping up with the changing real estate market and creating courses and tools to support realtors and its business. You can learn more about the Center’s other offerings by visiting The Center for Realtor Development reviews page.
Example Broker Licensing Requirements by State
While broker requirements vary from state to state, most states require a combination of experience and education before securing a broker’s license. To help students find the best course options, we reviewed course providers based on the most important criteria.
With these criteria in mind, our pick for best overall real estate broker class provider is Kaplan because of the quality of its courses and the number of course choices. Also, you can choose to take courses in a variety of formats, including webinars, on-demand videos, and home study textbooks. Learn more about the diverse and highly rated offerings of Kaplan.