CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®
- 2 AAdvantage® miles on telecommunications, car rental, gas station purchases
- 2 AAdvantage® mile on eligible American Airlines purchases
- 1 AAdvantage® mile on other purchases
- First checked bag free
- Terms Apply
|INTRO APR||REGULAR APR||ANNUAL FEE||CREDIT NEEDED|
|N/A||17.74% - 25.74% Variable||$0 for the first year, then $99||Good - Excellent|
The CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® is a must-have card for frequent American Airlines flyers. It offers free checked bags and priority boarding, something most other credit cards don’t offer. The card includes a 60,000-mile introductory offer and two times the miles on American Airlines purchases. The ongoing APR is as low as 17.99%.
The best business credit cards for travel pay up to five times the points or miles on at least one bonus category, offer introductory rewards worth at least $500 and provide benefits like airport lounge access, expedited airport security screening, free checked bags, and annual travel credits. The Citi AAdvantage Card offers an excellent sign-up bonus and solid benefits. We give it four out of five stars.
How We Evaluated the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®
The CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® offers frequent American Airlines customers solid benefits that could save them money like with free checked bags. It also offers an introductory bonus that could be worth more than $700 in travel. However, the rewards aren’t as good as some of the best small business credit cards offer like the American Express Business Platinum Card® card, which pays five times the points on flights.
We considered the following criteria when grading this card based on what owners might need and want in a small business credit card that offers travel rewards:
- Ongoing rewards: The miles you’ll earn by using the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®; this card earns its top rewards on American Airlines flights, car rentals, and gasoline purchases
- Introductory rewards: The miles you’ll earn by reaching minimum spending requirements over the first few months of card ownership; the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® offers an excellent sign-up bonus
- Additional benefits: Whether the card comes with free perks that may increase its value; the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® offers valuable perks like free checked bags and priority boarding
- Annual fee: How much you’ll pay each year to own the card; the CitiBusiness card charges $99 annually, waived the first year
- Introductory APR: Whether the card offers a period of no-interest financing on purchases or balance transfers; the CitiBusiness card offers no introductory 0% financing
- Ongoing APR: How much it will cost to finance purchases on the card; this card charges an ongoing APR of 17.99% to 25.99%, which is slightly higher than average
We weigh introductory rewards, ongoing rewards and additional benefits heaviest when grading business travel rewards credit cards. The CitiBusiness/AAdvantage credit card offers top introductory rewards and excellent benefits, like a $99 companion pass. But its two times the miles on American Airlines flight purchases isn’t quite as good as other cards offer like the Chase Ink Business Preferred℠ (3 miles per $1).
How We Evaluate Travel Rewards Business Credit Cards
When grading travel rewards business credit cards like the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®, we weight ongoing rewards, introductory rewards, and additional features heaviest. We also consider the card’s annual fee and its introductory and ongoing APRs. The only piece that is missing from this card is an introductory APR period.
We graded the CitiBusiness/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard using the following methodology:
Based on our five-star rating system where 20 points equals one star, the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® would need to improve it’s ongoing rewards and offer a 0% APR period to earn the next half star. In cases where cards receive perfect scores in most categories, we may award bonus points to boost the card’s rating.
Despite the strong introductory rewards, this grade is appropriate because the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® lacks a 0% APR period and can improve its ongoing rewards. Other travel rewards business credit cards offer more substantial rewards, such as the American Express Business Platinum Card® (5x points on travel-related purchases).
Who the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® Is Right For
The CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® is best for business owners who frequently or exclusively use American Airlines for their business travel. Perks like free checked luggage, preferred boarding and a $99 companion pass after you spend $30,000 in an account year make this card valuable for AA loyalists, even if the travel rewards are slightly lower than on other cards.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® Costs
This CitiBusiness card comes with no introductory 0% APR on purchases or balance transfers, which is not unusual for a business travel rewards credit card. CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® rates are about average for this type of card but are about four percentage points higher than what Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards Mastercard® charges.
Financing costs and fees on the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® include:
- Introductory APR: None
- Ongoing APR: 17.99% to 25.99%, which will adjust with the prime rate
- Annual fee: $99, waived the first year
- Balance transfer fee: Transfers are not allowed
- Foreign transaction fee: None
- Cash advance fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Late payment fee: Up to $37
- Returned payment fee: Up to $37
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% and may be applied indefinitely if you make a late payment or make a payment that is returned.
The $99 annual fee ― waived the first year ― is nearly identical to the annual fee assessed on the Capital One Spark Miles ― $95, waived the first year ― and the United℠ Explorer Business Card ― $95, waived the first year. It’s significantly less than you’ll pay with the American Express Business Platinum Card® ― at $450 ― or the American Express® Business Gold Card ― at $295. Search for a cash back business credit card if you want rewards without an annual fee.
How to Avoid Paying Interest on the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®
Your payment due date is at least 23 days after the close of the business cycle (when you receive your bill). Pay your balance in full by the due date to avoid interest charges. If you are charged interest, you’ll pay no less than 50 cents.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® Rewards
The CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® offers its best rewards for spending on American Airlines flights, car rentals, gas stations, and telecommunications, cable, and satellite provider purchases. It also offers introductory rewards that could be worth at least $600 when used to book travel. If you’re just getting started, although this card may not be right for you. Consider some of the best business credit cards for startups.
You will earn 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after you spend $3,000 within the first three months after account opening. Those points could be worth $600 or more when used to book travel. That’s a slightly lower return than you’ll get from another travel rewards credit card, the Chase Ink Business Preferred℠, which pays 80,000 points worth up to $1,000 in travel rewards.
You will earn the following ongoing rewards when using your card:
- Eligible American Airlines purchases: Two AAdvantage miles for every $1 spent
- Purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable, and satellite providers; car rental merchants; and gas stations: Two AAdvantage miles
- All purchases: One AAdvantage mile for every $1 spent
Other business travel credit cards offer higher returns on flight purchases, including the American Express Business Platinum Card® ― five times the miles ― and the Chase Ink Business Preferred℠ ― three times the miles. Few business credit cards offer rewards on cable and satellite service, so the CitiBusiness/AAdvantage credit card is a good choice for telecommunications payments.
The CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® won’t reward bonus points for the following purchases:
- Car rental purchases from merchants that rent motorhomes or other recreational vehicles and purchases made through travel agencies, tour operators and online third party travel sites are not eligible for two times the miles
- Gas station purchases made at warehouse clubs that do not code gas station purchases under a gas station code, discount stores, department stores, and convenience stores are not eligible for two times the miles
- Earn no rewards on returned goods and services, cash advances, transferred balances, credits, fees, and finance charges
How You Can Redeem Your Rewards
There are four primary ways to redeem your miles:
- Flight awards: Books flights for as little as 7,500 miles each way plus applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees; there are no blackout dates, but award seats may not always be available
- Flight awards on other airlines: Use your miles to redeem for travel through one of about two dozen foreign airline partners, including British Airways and Cathay Pacific
- Upgrades: Use your miles to upgrade to first class or business class on American and partner flights; upgrades cost as few as 5,000 miles
- Hotels, rental cars, vacation packages: Pay for your reservation through the American Airlines AAdvantage miles website with as few as 1,000 miles. You can also use miles to purchase a membership to the Admirals Club, American’s members-only airport lounges
Before you decide how to redeem your rewards, first learn how to maximize rewards.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® Additional Features
Citi and American Airlines offer several free or reduced-fee travel perks and complementary insurance as part of this card’s benefits packages, including free checked bags and car rental insurance. Only credit cards offered by specific airlines come with free checked baggage benefits.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® First Checked Bag Free
Check one bag for free for you and up to four companions traveling with you to domestic itineraries if they are listed on the same reservation. The benefit does not apply to overweight or oversized bags. Checked bag fees typically start at $30, so this benefit could be worth up to $150 per flight. Business travel credit cards not affiliated with a particular airline like the American Express Business Platinum Card® don’t offer this benefit.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® Preferred Boarding
You and up to four traveling companions will be able to board once priority boarding is complete but before the rest of economy boards. Your boarding pass will show Group 5. This benefit is similar to what the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express offers. Travel rewards credit cards not affiliated with an airline like the American Express® Business Gold Card do not offer boarding benefits.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® American Airlines Companion Certificate
Earn one $99 domestic economy fare plus $21.60 to $43.40 in government taxes and fees after you make at least $30,000 in eligible purchases each 12-month period prior to your card anniversary date. The companion certificate is valid on a round-trip flight within the lower 48 states in which the primary cardholder purchases a main cabin fare ticket. The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card offers a similar perk.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® Savings on In-flight Purchases
Receive a 25% discount on in-flight food, beverage and Wi-Fi purchases you make with your CitiBusiness credit card. The Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express offers a 20% discount on food and beverage purchases.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® Worldwide Car Rental Insurance
When you rent a car using your CitiBusiness card, you’re covered in case of accident or theft on all rentals made worldwide. Coverage is primary, which means you won’t need to use your personal auto insurance or accept insurance offered by the rental agency. Coverage is capped at $50,000.
The following coverage is included when using your CitiBusiness card:
- Physical damage and theft of the vehicle up to $50,000
- Reasonable loss of use charges imposed by the vehicle rental company for the period of time the rental vehicle is out of service
- Towing charges to the nearest collision repair facility
- Theft or damage to personal effects
Trucks, sport-utility vehicles, vans, recreational vehicles, antique vehicles and any vehicle with fewer than four wheels will not be covered by this insurance. Credit cards that offer rental car insurance generally include exclusions similar to these.
Other business travel rewards credit cards may offer higher coverage limits, but more restrictions on coverage. The American Express Business Platinum Card®, for example, caps coverage at $75,000 but also doesn’t cover rentals made in certain countries, including Australia, Italy, and New Zealand.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® Purchase Protection
Citi may repair or reimburse for items purchased with your CitiBusiness card that are damaged or stolen within 90 days of purchase. Coverage is limited to $10,000 per item, up to $50,000 per year per account. Lost items and items “left in public sight” are not covered.
Purchase protection does not cover the following conditions:
- Losses due to normal wear and tear, misuse, gradual deterioration, and/or abuse
- Losses resulting from any dishonest, fraudulent, or criminal act committed or arranged by you
- Used or antique items or collectibles of any kind
- Motorized vehicles, including cars, boats, aircraft, and motorcycles
- Land and any buildings
- Tickets, including airlines, sporting events, concerts, or lottery
- Direct or indirect loss resulting from floods, hurricanes, lightning, and earthquakes
Business travel rewards credit cards that offer this coverage typically limit coverage to either 90 or 120 days after purchase. The CitiBusiness/AAdvantage credit card offers shorter coverage than the Chase Ink Business Preferred℠ but the same length of coverage as the Capital One® Spark® Miles card. Exclusions here are common across small business credit cards.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® Extended Warranty Protection
Citi will double the manufacturer’s warranty up to an additional 12 months from the expiration of warranties of 60 months or less. An item with a six-month warranty would be backed for an additional six months, for example. The issuer will replace the item or reimburse you up to the amount charged on your Citi card up to $10,000.
The following purchases are not covered by extended warranty protection:
- Used or antique items or collectibles of any kind that do not come with a manufacturer warranty
- Floor models that do not come with an original manufacturer warranty
- Motorized vehicles, including cars, personal watercraft and boats, aircraft, and motorcycles
- Land and any buildings
- Professional services
- All types of media with stored data or music, including computer software, DVDs, albums, video cassettes, CDs, film and audio cassettes
The extended warranty protection is weaker than some other travel rewards business credit cards offer, including the American Express® Business Gold card, which offers one additional year of warranty service on purchases with warranties of five years or less.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® Travel Accident Insurance
Citi will provide up to $1 million of coverage if you die or lose a limb, sight, speech or hearing in a plane, train, ferry or cruise ship accident paid for with your business Citi AAdvantage Card. Citi will pay out the maximum coverage only in the event of death. Injuries are eligible for $250,000 to $500,000 in coverage.
The following conditions are not covered by worldwide travel accident insurance:
- Losses as a result of a riot or act of war
- Injuries or death that occur while traveling in a taxi, car service, rental car, or rideshare service
- Injuries or death that occur while boarding or exiting a plane, train, ferry or cruise ship “while engaging in extreme activities” (the issuer doesn’t define “extreme activities”).
Citi offers double the loss-of-life benefit that comes with Chase Ink Business Preferred℠. However, that card also offers a 24-hour death benefit if you or a covered traveler die any time during the duration of a trip of 30 days or less in which you booked airfare for your travel using your card. That coverage is limited to $100,000.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® Travel and Emergency Assistance
Mastercard will provide travel, emergency, medical and legal assistance 24 hours a day to the cardholder, cardholder’s spouse, or dependent child under the age of 19 ― up to 25 years of age in the case of a dependent full-time college student. Like with most small business credit cards, this is mostly a concierge service. In most cases, the cardholder is responsible for the cost of any assistance.
This card covers the following assistance:
- Repatriation of remains
- Cash advances of up to $5,000
- Lost documents, ticket replacement, and return trip assistance
- Legal referrals and advance fees of up to $1,000 on legal assistance and advances on bail bonds
- Help with hospital admission
- Medical transportation and evacuation
- Prescription transfer and shipping
This is fairly standard help for credit cards that offer travel and emergency assistance. Premium business travel rewards credit cards, like the American Express Business Platinum Card®, may offer a higher level of service. Use the card’s Premium Global Assist Hotline when you fall ill, and the issuer may provide a medical evacuation at no cost to the card member or covered family member.
AddingCitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® Employee Credit Cards
You can request employee credit cards at the time of application. All employee cards earn rewards for the main cardholder’s account and come with no annual fee. Nearly all issuers, excluding American Express, offer employee cards free of charge even if the primary card comes with an annual fee.
What the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® Is Missing
The Citi AAdvantage Card is missing some perks that other travel rewards business credit cards offer. The American Express Business Platinum Card®, for example, offers free access to more than 1,000 airport lounges worldwide and a $200 annual statement credit toward air travel expenses. The rewards on air travel are also lower than cards like the Chase Ink Business Preferred℠ offer ― three times the points per $1 spent.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® Reviews
We scoured the web for CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® reviews, which are generally positive. Users love the large introductory reward and the first-year-free annual fee. For travel rewards enthusiasts, the card’s two times the miles per $1 spent on American Airlines’ flights is seen as a slight negative.
How to Apply for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®
You can apply online for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® online. Fill out a basic application containing both business and personal information, and you could be approved instantly. Once you’re approved, you’ll receive your card in the mail within seven to 10 days. Check your application status on Citi’s website. Before you apply, learn how to get a credit card.
How to Log in to Your CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® Account
Login to your CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® account on Citi’s website by providing your user ID and password. You can also contact customer service for Citi small business credit cards at 866-422-3091.
Alternatives to the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®
Some travel rewards business credit cards may offer higher rewards on airfare — and opportunities to earn rewards on more than just American Airlines’ flights. If you’re not a loyalist to this air carrier, you may want to consider a travel card that offers higher rewards or better perks.