This article is part of a larger series on Payroll Services.
What We Recommend Clergy Financial Resources For
Clergy Financial Resources has over 40 years of clergy payroll and tax experience. Rated as one of our best church payroll software, it can run an unlimited number of payrolls monthly, handle quarterly and year-end tax filings, and electronically pay both federal and state taxes. Payments to clergy and non-clergy employees are made either through direct deposits or paychecks. The software also runs real-time online reporting and provides its church support feature at no extra charge, with two points of contact—a payroll expert and a clergy tax law adviser.
In short, Clergy Financial Resources is best for:
- Large churches in need of an all-in-one platform for payroll and HR: Clergy Financial Resources can take care of your church payroll processing and tax filings and monitor the attendance and expenses (including mileage) of all your non-clergy employees and ministers. Its platform allows you to manage employee records and update them anytime, and its support team—which is available via phone, email, and chat—provides answers to any payroll questions.
- Religious organizations that need help on tax preparation or resolution: Clergy Financial Resources has a team of professionals that can help you with clergy compensation, reimbursement plans, tax planning, estimated tax payments or optional withholdings, and solving tax problems like IRS audits (correspondence, field, or office audits).
When Clergy Financial Resources Would Not Be a Good Fit
- Small churches with very limited staff and resources: Priced at $61 a month for up to two church employees on a monthly payroll schedule, Clergy Financial Resources may not be budget-friendly for small churches. Although it does offer stand-alone payroll and tax services (like Pro Advisor support, tax resolution services, and church support-on-demand), it’s not the most affordable option for budget-conscious organizations that need immediate help for a limited time. We recommend MinistryWorks as it has reasonably priced options with monthly fees that decrease as your employees increase.
- Non-church organizations such as for-profit businesses: Clergy Financial Resources is specifically designed for churches. If you need help with non-clergy payroll, read our best payroll software guide.
Looking for something different? Read our guide to the best online payroll services for small businesses to find a service or software that’s right for you.
Clergy Financial Resources Overview
|Automated payroll processing and tax filing||Expensive for small churches|
|Live phone support||Benefits management (health, dental, and retirement plans) unavailable|
|Dedicated payroll and tax experts||Few third-party integrations|
Clergy Financial Resources Pricing
For its Full Church Payroll plan, Clergy Financial Resources’ pricing starts at $61 per month for up to two employees on a monthly payroll schedule. It comes with unlimited pay runs, free direct deposits, electronic tax payments, quarterly and year-end tax filings, and access to church support services. It even offers a 12-month pricing guarantee. Note, however, that new users have to pay a $150 setup fee.
Clergy Financial Resources also supports other pay processing schedules such as weekly and biweekly. However, the monthly fees may change depending on the payroll frequency. Contact the provider to discuss your requirements and request a quote.
Aside from its Full Church Payroll option, Clergy Financial Resources offers add-on services that include benefits options and support plans for individuals and church groups.
Church Benefits Plans
- Health Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA): $345
- Health Reimbursement Arrangement (One Person and QSEHRA): $395
- Individual Coverage HRA (ICHRA): $395
- Dependent Care FSA Plan or Employer Paid (Section 129): $295
- Section 125 Premium Only Plan (POP): $345
- Section 127 Education Assistance Plan and Student Loan Relief Plan: $345
Individual Support Plans
- Pro Advisor Support: $75 for a 30-minute session
- Estimated Payment Support: $255; helps calculate payments/optional withholdings due to changes in clergy compensation
- Clergy Support On-demand: $355 per year; includes unlimited phone and electronic support from a dedicated team of tax and payroll professionals
- Clergy Tax Preparation: Custom-priced
Church Support Plans
- Pro Advisor Support: $75 for a 30-minute session
- Premium Church Support: $1,200 per year: includes unlimited phone and electronic support from a dedicated team of tax and payroll professionals
- HR Support Center: $120 per year; provides 24/7 access to online resources on how to manage day-to-day HR functions
- HR Support On-demand: $600 per year; includes unlimited phone and electronic support from a dedicated team of HR professionals
- HR Support On-demand with Employee Handbook: $720 per year; includes additional access to a handbook wizard
- Organization Support: $2,400 (includes first member) plus $500 for each additional member; this is a combination of the Clergy Support and Payroll Support On-demand plans
Clergy Financial Resources Features
Clergy Financial Resources exclusively processes payroll, files taxes, and helps manage employees for churches. It offers a personalized touch to its users, as its payroll specialists resolve issues immediately via live phone, email, and chat. Together with its experienced tax law experts, church organizations are assured they can rely on Clergy Financial Resources to take care of their administrative processes and refocus their attention to grow their ministry.
Here are some of Clergy Financial Resources’ top features and services:
Clergy Financial Resources allows you to run unlimited payroll monthly and pay both clergy and non-clergy through direct deposit. After processing payroll, you can generate payroll reports in real time.
Payroll Tax Management
The software electronically calculates, withholds, and deposits your local, state, and federal payroll taxes. It can handle quarterly and year-end tax filings and prepare W-2 and 1099 tax forms on your behalf. Clergy Financial Resources has tax law experts that will also guide you during tax preparations or help resolve any tax issues (e.g., misclassification of a nonexempt employee and withholding FICA and Medicare taxes on ministers) with the IRS or any state taxing authority.
Clergy Financial Resources has an online time clock solution for your employees. Supervisors can customize user settings on a per-employee basis and even add their electronic signature for paid time off (PTO) approvals. Aside from calculating employee billable hours, it monitors PTO accruals and balances and generates time off reports. It is fully integrated with Timesheets.com’s time-off tracking system, where you will be able to set up each user’s accrual type and allocate accruals by hours worked or preset schedule.
The software has an expense tracking system that enables you to monitor your employees’ expenses and mileage. It has a mobile responsive platform that allows you to access its features on smartphones and tablets without downloading an app—provided there’s an available internet connection. You can even upload receipts to support your expense entries to help with accounting and real-time reporting processes. Expenses can be matched to specific customers, jobs, and expense types to account entries easily.
HR Document Management
Clergy Financial Resources, through Timesheets.com, can help you manage employee and HR records with its suite of standardized HR documents. Also, you can update and save employee files online for audit purposes.
Clergy Financial Resources provides access to experts who are knowledgeable about the current issues and changes in clergy tax laws, payroll, HR, and compliance. Specifically, they can help you with clergy compensation, reimbursement plans, and tax planning.
Clergy Financial Resources Ease of Use
- User-friendly with an intuitive dashboard
- Accessible online or on mobile
- With time tracking and expense management features
- Responsive payroll and tax specialists
- Downloadable real-time reports
- Live phone support
Clergy Financial Resources is very easy to set up and navigate. Even though its payroll system was designed exclusively for churches, its mobile responsive platform enables you to process payroll anywhere and from mobile devices while still maintaining control of your data. It also allows you to speak directly with tax experts to make your life easier, especially if you have tax or labor issues, and provides dedicated support reps who will work with you anytime.
What Users Think About Clergy Financial Resources
Users Don’t Like
Software is easy to use
Significant pricing increases
Robust payroll and tax filing features
Occasional product billing errors
Responsive dedicated specialists
There are no Clergy Financial reviews on popular third-party review sites like G2 and Capterra as of this writing. The user feedback I found is from client testimonials posted on its website, generally positive reviews about its responsive dedicated specialists, intuitive interface, and easy-to-use church payroll tools.
On the other hand, there are only a handful of negative Clergy Financial reviews on its website. One reviewer dislikes how its prices have significantly increased over the years. Another user complained about having been double-billed for its tax organizer solution, although the incident was quickly resolved, according to the reviewer.
Top Clergy Financial Resources Alternatives
Best for: Small churches needing basic payroll, tax, and HR tools
Best for: QuickBooks accounting church users
Best for: Ministries that need a dedicated payroll specialist at a more affordable rate
Base monthly fee from: $39
Base monthly fee from: $45
Base monthly fee from: $17.08 per employee
Per-employee monthly fee from: $6
Per-employee fee from: $4
Per-employee fee from: N/A
If you need help evaluating which software is right for you, check out our guide on choosing the best payroll software.
Clergy Financial Resources is an all-in-one payroll, tax, and HR software exclusively for religious organizations and churches of any size. For decades, it has helped its customers manage changing church tax and labor laws. As a result, it’s authoritative in this industry, helping many churches resolve tax problems and improve their payroll and tax systems.