Clergy Financial Resources offers personalized church payroll, tax, HR, and consulting services for churches and related ministries. Its professional payroll and tax experts handle clergy tax preparation, clergy tax laws, and clergy compensation. It is best for churches and ministries in search of an all-in-one payroll, tax, and HR platform that helps with tax and labor laws compliance.
What We Recommend Clergy Financial Resources For
Clergy Financial Resources has 40 years of clergy payroll and tax experience and can run an unlimited number of payrolls monthly at no additional charge. It pays both federal and state taxes electronically and allows you to pay your employees using direct deposit or check. The software also runs real-time online reporting and provides its church support feature at no extra charge, with two points of contact—payroll expert and clergy tax law adviser.
In short, Clergy Financial Resources is best for:
- Large churches in need of an all-in-one platform for payroll and HR: Financial Resources can take care of your clergy payroll processing and tax filing and monitor the time and expenses (including mileage) of all your non-clergy employees and ministers. Its platform allows you to manage employee records and update them anytime, and its live support—which is available via phone, email, and chat—provides answers to any payroll questions.
- Religious organizations that need help on tax preparation or resolution: Clergy Financial Resources has a team of professionals that can help you with clergy compensation, reimbursement plans, tax planning, estimated tax payments or optional withholdings, and solving tax problems like IRS audits (correspondence, field, or office audits).
When Clergy Financial Resources Would Not Be a Good Fit
- Small churches with very limited staff and resources: Clergy Financial Resources may not be budget-friendly for small churches at $55 a month for two church employees. Although it does offer stand-alone payroll and tax services (Pro Adviser support, estimated payment support, and church support-on-demand) if you need immediate help for a limited time, it’s not the most affordable option for budget-conscious organizations. Check out our guide on the top church payroll software for more options.
- Non-church organizations like for-profit businesses: Clergy Financial Resources is specifically designed for churches. If you need help with payroll, check out our payroll software guide.
Looking for something different? Read our guide to the best payroll services for small businesses to find a service or software that’s right for you.
Clergy Financial Resources Overview
|Automated payroll processing and tax filing||Pricing is expensive for small churches|
|Live phone support||Benefits management (health, dental, and retirement plans) is not available|
|Dedicated payroll and tax experts||Few third-party integrations|
Clergy Financial Resources Pricing and Features
Clergy Financial Resources’ pricing is $55 per month for two employees (or $660 annually). It provided us with a quote of $224 monthly for 10 employees paid weekly and $125 monthly for 10 employees paid biweekly. You also have to pay a setup fee of $150.
Keep in mind that the figures above pertain to our customized quote, and costs can vary depending on your needs and the time you sign up. You’ll need to request a quote to get a final cost specific to your requirements.
Aside from its Full Church Payroll service plan, you can sign up for Clergy Financial Resources’ add-on services that are divided into two:
Individual Support Plans Pricing
Group Support Plans Pricing
Pro Adviser Support - $45 per question
Pro Adviser Support - $45 per question
Estimated Payment Support - $255
HR Support Center - $120 per year
Clergy Support-on-Demand - $355 per year
HR Support-on-Demand - $600 per year*
Clergy Tax Preparation - Customized pricing
Build your Employee Handbook - $720 per year*
Payroll Support-on-Demand - $600 per year*
Church Support - $600 per year
Organization Support - Base Price (includes 1st member) - $2,400 + $500 for each additional member
*You can purchase a second plan at 50% off
- Tax preparation services
- W-2, W-2c, and 1099 filing services for clergy and non-clergy employees
- Audit services
Clergy Financial Resources exclusively processes payroll, files taxes, and helps manage employees for churches. It offers a personalized touch to its users, as its payroll specialists resolve issues immediately via live phone, email, and chat. Together with its experienced tax law experts, church organizations are assured that they can rely on Clergy Financial Resources to take care of their administrative processes and refocus their attention to grow their ministry.
Here are some of Clergy Financial Resources’ top features and services:
- Payroll service designed for churches
- Fixed monthly cost to fit the church budget
- Unlimited number of payrolls each month
- No extra cost for W2 forms
- No extra cost for federal/state quarterly reports
- 12-month pricing guarantee
- Free direct deposit
- Church support included
- Tax law experts
- Real-time online reporting
- Single point support contact available
- Deductions and quarterly tax payments
Let’s dive deeper into Clergy Financial Resources’s features and services:
Clergy Financial Resources allows you to run unlimited payroll monthly and pay both clergy and non-clergy through direct deposit. After processing payroll, you can generate payroll reports in real time.
Payroll Tax Management
The software electronically calculates, withholds, and deposits your local, state, and federal payroll taxes. Also, it can handle your quarterly and year-end tax filing and prepare your W-2 and 1099 on your behalf. Clergy Financial Resources has tax law experts that will also guide you during tax preparations, or help resolve any tax issues (misclassification of a nonexempt employee, withholding FICA and Medicare taxes on ministers) with the IRS or any state taxing authority.
Clergy Financial Resources has an online time clock service for your employees. Supervisors can customize user settings on a per-employee basis and even add their electronic signature for time-off approvals. Aside from employee billable hours, you can monitor accruals and balances. It is fully integrated with Timesheets.com’s time-off tracking system, where you will be able to set up each user’s accrual type and allocate accruals by hours worked or preset schedule.
Clergy Financial also has a leave management system that allows you to monitor paid time off (PTO) balances, view real-time inf ormation, and run time-off reports.
The software has an expense tracking system that enables you to monitor your employees’ expenses and mileage using a mobile website. You can even upload receipts to support your expense entries to help with accounting and real-time reporting processes. Expenses can be matched to specific customers, jobs, and expense types to account entries easily.
To manage your employees, Clergy Financial Resources, together with Timesheets.com, can help you oversee your employees’ performance with its suite of standardized HR documents. Also, you will be able to keep, update, and save employee records for audit purposes.
Clergy Financial Resources provides experts that are knowledgeable about the current issues and changes in clergy tax laws, compliance, and client management exclusively for ministers that are serving churches and nonprofit organizations. Specifically, they can help you with clergy compensation, reimbursement plans, and tax planning and provide estimated payments or optional withholdings.
Clergy Financial Resources Ease of Use
- User-friendly with an intuitive dashboard
- Accessible online or on mobile
- With time tracking and expense management features
- Responsive payroll and tax specialists
- Downloadable real-time reports
- Live phone support
Clergy Financial Resources is very easy to set up and navigate. Even though its payroll system was designed exclusively for churches, its technology allows you to process payroll anywhere while still maintaining control of your data. It also allows you to speak directly with tax experts to make your life easier, especially if you have tax or labor issues, and it provides a dedicated payroll expert who will work with you anytime you need their assistance.
Top Clergy Financial Resources Alternatives
Best for: Small churches needing basic payroll, tax, and HR tools
Best for: QuickBooks accounting church users
Best for: Small ministries with hourly workers
Base monthly fee from: $19 to $149
Base monthly fee from: $45
Base monthly fee from: $29 per employee
Per-employee monthly fee from: $6 to $12
Per-employee monthly fee from: $4
Per-employee monthly fee from: $5
If you need help evaluating which software is right for you, check out our guide on choosing the best payroll software.
What Users Think About Clergy Financial Resources
Most Clergy Financial Resources users left positive reviews. Many of them expressed they approve of how responsive their payroll specialists are. Some noticed its intuitive and easy-to-use interface, while others mentioned that it has a straightforward set of payroll and tax filing tools.
When reading through user reviews, I noticed some of these trends:
Users Don’t Like
Software is easy to use
Pricing is a bit steep
Robust payroll and tax filing features
Limited third-party integrations
Responsive dedicated specialists
Clergy Financial Resources is an all-in-one payroll, tax, and HR software exclusively for religious organizations and churches of any size. For decades, it has helped its customers manage changing church tax and labor laws. As a result, it’s authoritative in this industry, helping many churches resolve tax problems and improve their payroll and tax system.