GreenGeeks is becoming known for providing environment-friendly web hosting services. In fact, it puts back three times the amount of your website’s power usage into the grid as renewable energy. Apart from its green initiatives, it also provides web hosting and building essentials, as well as premium features in its core plans like a free CDN and site migration. It is recommended for beginners on a budget who want to bring their site publication up to speed.
Who GreenGeeks Is Best For
Apart from its 300% renewable energy match, its all-inclusive plans and affordable rates make GreenGeeks an impressive choice for those starting out. Whether there’s a need for a shared, WordPress, reseller, or VPS hosting, this provider has packaged affordable plans for you. GreenGeeks is perfect for those with limited budgets wanting to start building their scalable websites.
GreenGeeks is best for:
- Businesses that are environment-conscious: GreenGeeks prides themselves in being the number one green hosting provider as they match the user’s energy usage by 300%. Through this provider, users may now host their sites without guilt and fear of added carbon footprint.
- Anyone on a tight budget wanting to quickly build a site: GreenGeeks offers cheap web hosting plans starting at $2.95 per month that come with all you need to quickly set up a site. These features include a drag-and-drop website builder, SSD storage, SSL certificate, and domain registration.
- Bloggers: All GreenGeeks shared hosting plans include Managed WordPress. It also supports Drupal and Joomla content management systems (CMS).
- Developers: GreenGeeks has developer-friendly tools like MySQL databases, FTP accounts, and Perl and Python support.
- Web designers, SEO firms, and WordPress developers who offer site management services to clients: GreenGeeks also offers affordable reseller hosting services, allowing you to host each website under its own account. It also provides a control panel that enables you to easily manage all accounts in one dashboard.
Who GreenGeeks Isn’t Good For
While GreenGeeks offer valuable packages for different business needs, that doesn’t mean it’s the best web hosting provider for everyone and every website. Other companies provide additional services, such as cloud hosting, unlimited storage, or faster performance. It all boils down to what your needs and priorities are.
GreenGeeks is not recommended for:
- Those with content-heavy sites (e.g., photography): If budget is a main concern, but you need unlimited storage and bandwidth, consider DreamHost as an alternative. It comes with the cheapest month-to-month and renewal fees, as well as unlimited storage and bandwidth. It also offers cloud hosting plans, which GreenGeeks lacks.
- Web design beginners building an online store: If ease of use is your main priority, then use a site builder such as Wix. And for more advanced ecommerce features without any code, choose Shopify.
- Businesses that prioritize speed: If speed is your main concern, then A2 Hosting is worth checking out. While GreenGeeks boasts its eco-friendly services, A2 Hosting claims to have 20 times faster hosting, helping attain improved SEO rankings, conversion rates, and bounce rates. This claim is backed by more speed and security features packed with its plans.
GreenGeeks isn’t as widely used as its alternatives, like DreamHost, but it may have plans that perfectly match what you’re looking for. See other web hosting companies to ensure you are purchasing the right one for you and your current business needs.
GreenGeeks’ has the cheapest introductory fees for long-term base plans that come with at least 50GB of storage. Its shared hosting services are packaged in three tiers that start at $2.49 per month on a three-year contract. There are cheaper alternatives in the market like IONOS, but GreenGeeks provides more inclusions. There are no huge price jumps between its plans either, given the upgrades.
GreenGeeks Shared Hosting Plans
Growing websites with more resource and performance needs
Websites with high traffic or online stores
Price Upon Renewal
Contact Lengths Available
1, 12, 24, and 36 months
1, 12, 24, and 36 months
1, 12, 24, and 36 months
No. of Sites
No. of Business Email Accounts
One-click WordPress Installation
Drag-and-Drop Website Builder
Free Dedicated IP
*Prices are paid in full at the beginning of the billing cycle and are renewed automatically. Introductory prices shown are applicable on three-year contracts and are available only for new customers on their initial term. Regular fees apply thereafter.
**A free domain registration is available for one- to three-year contracts only.
For more information, select a plan from the drop-down menu below:
Lite costs $2.49 to $10.95 per month for the initial term, depending on the length of the contract. Its inclusions are best for users who are just beginning to create their online presence. Small business owners may also benefit from its free business email accounts to add more credibility and professionalism.
When compared with its competitors that offer similar inclusions, Bluehost’s long-term base plans with 50GB of storage cost $8.99 per month, while DreamHost charges extra for professional business emails.
If you are looking into setting up more than one site, then the Pro plan is perfect for you. Introductory prices range from $4.95 to $15.95 per month, depending on the selected billing cycle. Apart from the capability to host an unlimited number of websites, it also allows multi-user access. This option is also recommended for those who want their teams to work on their websites. On-demand backups, enhanced performance, and unlimited email accounts are also included in this plan.
Business owners running busy websites or online stores may consider this plan. Its monthly fees cost $8.95 to $25.95 for the first term. It can handle high traffic and works well with WooCommerce, Magento, OpenCart, and PrestaShop. Users subscribed to the Premium plan receive access to all of GreenGeeks’ features, as well as a free dedicated internet protocol (IP) address, AlphaSSL, and object caching feature.
GreenGeeks Features & Key Insights
GreenGeeks has green web hosting packages available for various needs. Whether you are just looking into establishing an online presence or setting up an ecommerce site, then this provider has something for you.
Let’s go over some of the essential inclusions its plans come with:
Storage & Bandwidth
GreenGeeks offers 50GB up to an unlimited amount of storage. It utilizes solid-state drive (SSD) technology for maximum redundancy and faster performance. Additionally, all shared hosting plans come with unmetered data transfer, optimized LiteSpeed and MariaDB database servers, and LSCache Support for high-speed page loads for your visitors.
Though GreenGeeks’ core plan is cheap with its monthly rate of $2.49 (for a three-year contract), those who prefer to have an unlimited SSD storage—along with the same essential features like SSL—may choose DreamHost’s base plan for $2.59 per month (on a three-year contract) instead.
GreenGeeks has data centers in Phoenix, Chicago, Montreal, Toronto, and Amsterdam—ensuring clients based in the U.S. and Europe a fast and reliable performance. It boasts its 99.9% uptime guarantee for its shared, reseller, VPS, and WordPress hosting services. A free Cloudflare CDN integration—which helps in speeding up and protecting your website—is also available for all shared hosting services users.
GreenGeeks also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for those who aren’t satisfied with its performance at the start of the service. Refunds do not apply on renewals.
Note that GreenGeeks has fewer data server locations compared to other web hosting companies. For example, GoDaddy has more data servers in North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific. However, this isn’t a problem due to its free CDN integration.
Features & Inclusions
GreenGeeks’ base shared hosting package features tools you need in getting started on your website setup and publication. Its cheapest tier comes with:
- Free domain for one year and SSL certificate (with an annual contract)
- One-click WordPress installation
- Unlimited databases
- Nightly backups
- Weebly or SitePad drag-and-drop website builder
Learn how to build a small business website using Weebly through our five-step guide.
Premium features available in higher tiers include unlimited websites, multi-user access, a WordPress repair tool, a free dedicated IP and AlphaSSL, and object caching.
GreenGeeks has great core features for its price compared to its competitors. For instance, free backups are available on higher A2 Hosting tiers, while business emails come at an additional cost with DreamHost. Additionally, site migrations—free with any GreenGeeks plan—cost $149 with Bluehost.
GreenGeeks offers impressive 24/7 technical support through live chat, telephone, and email tickets. It also provides a knowledge base of helpful guides for users who want to search for available answers before contacting a customer service representative.
Most of its alternatives deliver 24/7 customer service and a knowledge base page but typically offer only two types of support channels. For instance, DreamHost has 24/7 chat and email support, while GoDaddy has 24/7 chat and phone support.
What Users Think of GreenGeeks
GreenGeeks doesn’t have many user reviews online compared to its competitors like GoDaddy and DreamHost, which collected thousands. However, most of the recent GreenGeeks reviews match our assessment—noting that it’s one of the best web hosting providers, not just because of its commitment to the environment, but also due to the value it offers. At the time of writing, it earned the following ratings from popular and credible user review websites:
- G2: 4.3 out of 5 stars based on 12 reviews
- Trustpilot: 4.0 out of 5 stars based on 407 reviews
- HostAdvice: 7.9 out of 10 stars based on 163 reviews
Common trends on what users like about GreenGeeks include its green usage, outstanding customer and after-sales support, reliable and secure service, great uptime, and fair pricing. On the other hand, some customers reported issues with account cancellations and the billing team.
GreenGeeks is among the best web hosting companies to consider—with its balance of cheap prices and outstanding inclusions. Other companies may offer more advanced features, but GreenGeeks is still a decent choice for those who do not want to get overwhelmed with tools that they don’t need at the moment.
If you are on a budget and plan to host and build a website quickly, then GreenGeeks is a good option for you. However, if you are unsure about GreenGeeks, you might want to check out DreamHost, which offers affordable month-to-month plans and high-quality hosting.