This article is part of a larger series on Accounting Software.
What We Recommend Jetpack Workflow For
We selected Jetpack Workflow as one of our choices for best accounting practice management software, particularly for small accounting firms looking for an affordable yet solid project management solution. It allows you to set up recurring tasks, making it ideal for firms managing year-long projects with monthly or weekly recurring tasks and deliverables, such as project reports, team meetings, status reports, and project reports.
Jetpack Workflow Is Especially Good For
- Firms seeking strong project management features: Jetpack Workflow helps you improve your project performance with useful project management features like project planning and scheduling, project tracking, document management, reporting, and communication system.
- Firms using QuickBooks Online: Jetpack Workflow integrates with QuickBooks Online for billing and payroll while offering more project management features than QuickBooks Online alone.
- Small firms seeking an affordable practice management solution: The monthly fee for Jetpack Workflow starts at $45 per user per month, making it an attractive option for smaller firms with a limited number of users.
- Accounting firms who want to digitize their existing paper records: If you struggle with storing paper documents in filing cabinets, you can use Jetpack Workflow to create an electronic archive where you can store files and documents safely and conveniently that any permitted user can access and edit.
Jetpack Workflow Is Not a Good Fit For
- Firms seeking customer relationship management (CRM) features: If you’re looking for accounting practice management software that excels with CRM, check out TaxWorkFlow, which offers special features, such as the ability to create email marketing campaigns.
- Firms seeking the ability to invoice clients: For a software package that has built-in time tracking and billing, check out OfficeTools WorkSpace. We selected it as the best overall accounting practice management software.
- Firms with clients using Xero: If any of your clients are using Xero, the best option is Xero Practice Manager, which provides a portal to your clients’ books.
- Accountants and bookkeepers who are often away from the office: One of the biggest drawbacks of Jetpack Workflow is the lack of a mobile app. If you want the ability to complete tasks and track projects anywhere using your smartphone, you should consider OfficeTools WorkSpace, which includes a powerful mobile app for project management.
Jetpack Workflow Pros and Cons
|Integrates with QuickBooks Online, Google Workspace, and more than 3,000 apps with Zapier||Reports are not customizable|
|Unlimited jobs, documents, and clients||No CRM features available|
|Affordable and transparent pricing structure||Not able to update templates for assigned jobs|
|Strong project management features||Cannot create invoices for time billed without an integration|
|Task dependencies show what must be done before a given task and what must be done after the task is complete||No mobile app|
Jetpack Workflow Pricing
Jetpack Workflow is available in two plans which can be billed monthly or annually. Below is a complete breakdown of Jetpack Workflow’s pricing:
- Organize: $45 per user, per month, when billed monthly or $36 per user month when billed annually—plan includes unlimited jobs, documents, and clients, team collaboration and management tools, QuickBooks Online and Zapier integration, and live chat, phone, and email support.
- Scale: $50 per user, per month, or $39 per user, per month, when billed annually—plan includes all features present in Organize plus capacity management and team scheduling management
You can try Jetpack Workflow for 14 days for free. No credit card is required during sign-up, and you can use all of its features during the free trial period.
Jetpack Workflow Features
While project management is one of its strongest features, Jetpack Workflow has additional functionality that makes it an ideal choice for accounting firms. These include automation like the ability to create templates and create recurring tasks.
The job management dashboard allows you to create a new job and track progress until completion. When a new client is added in Jetpack Workflow, you can create a job from a selected template and assign the job to that client. To create a new job, you need to specify details such as the job name and description, budgeted time, turnaround time, and recurring schedule:
Tracking projects is made easy with its intuitive job management dashboard. You can track the status of a job assigned to your team members using the Tasks drop-down menu under the Jobs menu or monitor your own tasks from the My Work drop-down. You can view the list of all projects assigned to you along with their statuses, whether they’re overdue or upcoming:
A template is a standardized procedure that’s meant to be used repeatedly to create projects across clients. You can apply job templates easily to one or multiple clients. You can use the template builder to create your own template or choose from one of the free templates from Jetpack Workflow’s workflow library.
Below is a sample free template available from Jetpack Workflow:
A popular feature in Jetpack Workflow is the label maker, which allows you to create up to 100 different labels with custom colors to use on jobs your team works on every day. Everyone associated with the job will see the label, and each account is allotted up to seven labels. An example is Missing Information, which helps you to identify any jobs that have this label quickly. Labels don’t reoccur with jobs, and you cannot apply mass labels.
You can manually input time or use the built-in time tracker. One of the best things about Jetpack Workflow is that you can track time within each task or job easily. After a job is created, you can start to track time by clicking on the Start Timer button on the project:
This feature lets you manage recurring clients and tasks, allowing you to duplicate the same job across multiple clients. When you create a job, you can set it up to repeat automatically. You can choose from various recurring schedules, such as daily, weekly, every two weeks, monthly, or every two months:
Available with the Scale subscription, Plan allows you to view what your team is working on, determine whether they are on track to complete their work that week, and plan ahead for upcoming projects. You can adjust team workload and gain more transparency into workflow. You’ll also be able to schedule, reassign, or defer tasks in one view as well as view all of your budgeted time on tasks.
All processes in the workflow, as well as each employee, can be tracked in real-time. You can message your team within the software and keep all of your notes in one place. This ensures that all of your employees can stay on task. Jetpack WorkFlow sends users email digests in the morning and evening automatically, with details of which tasks are due or overdue that day and what work has been completed.
Jetpack Workflow’s integration with Zapier gives you access to more than 3,000 third-party apps. One of its most popular integrations is with QuickBooks Online, which we selected as the best accounting software for small businesses.
Although reporting is quite basic in Jetpack Workflow, there are a couple of reports available: Progress, Done, and Timesheets. It includes a progress report that allows you to view the status of jobs and tasks during a given time period. It makes it easy for you to track how many jobs are completed and how many are incomplete, due, or overdue:
Jetpack Workflow Customer Service
Jetpack Workflow states on its website that the best way to get in touch is via live chat, which you can access by clicking on the bubble in the lower right-hand corner of the application. Typically, you’ll receive a response within the hour during their hours of operation, which are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time. You can also email or call the toll-free number for customer support. If no one is available and you have to leave a message, you should hear back from someone within 24 hours.
There’s also a searchable knowledge base that provides articles, videos, and webinars. You even have the option to attend Jetpack Workflow university for free, which consists of seven courses that include videos and quizzes and provide a certificate upon completion.
Jetpack Workflow Ease of Use
The user interface for Jetpack Workflow is simple and uncluttered, making navigation feel very intuitive. The dashboard is one example of this—information is accessible easily and the addition of color-coded labels allows you to drill down to different status levels for each client:
- Dashboard: The top navigation bar has four tabs: Dashboard, Jobs, Calendar, and Manage, which apply to the different aspects of your practice.
- Jobs: Below the navigation bar are two drop-down menus that allow you to select between Jobs and Tasks. You can also filter the data by individual team members or all who were assigned to it. The Jobs screen is shown above, with job status listed as overdue, due today, this week, and next week.
- Labels: Labels are color-coded. You have the option of creating your own labels or using default labels. For example, you can mark a job as missing info or ready for work.
- Status: This section shows the number of jobs that are pending, in progress, or that need review.
- Recently completed jobs: This section provides a digital record of information related to jobs that were recently completed, for easy access.
Jetpack Workflow Alternatives
Best for: Firms seeking strong CRM functionality
Best for: Firms needing to invoice clients
Best for: Firms with clients using Xero
Cost: Flat annual fee of $1,500
Cost: Free for Silver, Gold, or Platinum partners—New or Bronze partners pay $149 per month after a 14-day free trial
Jetpack Workflow provides almost everything a firm would need to stay organized and collaborate with its team, and it’s all packaged in easy-to-use software. Its strong feature set includes the ability to create templates and apply them to jobs, enhanced team collaboration, and basic reports that summarize work in progress, completed work, and employee timesheets. Jetpack Workflow is an ideal solution if you’re looking for affordable software with powerful project management capabilities.