This article is part of a larger series on Accounting Software.
NeatFiles is a cloud-based receipt scanner and file storage plus it includes a free subscription to NeatInvoices. You can import, file, and organize business documents easily with NeatFiles. Moreover, it can generate detailed and comprehensive reports according to the needs of management. You can try NeatFiles including NeatInvoices free for 15 days.
What We Recommend NeatFiles For
NeatFiles is our overall best receipt scanner app, and we recommended it for companies or individuals who work mainly on the cloud. Using NeatFiles helps employees scan and upload documents to Neat and file them according to company-set filing rules. Moreover, NeatInvoices comes free with a NeatFiles subscription. You can create invoices on NeatInvoices and store them in NeatFiles afterward.
NeatFiles Is Especially Good For
- Companies looking for an invoicing and file storage system: NeatFiles comes with the features of NeatInvoices. If you’re looking for storage software with invoicing features, NeatFiles is the best app. It saves you money because you need not get another invoicing app.
- QuickBooks Desktop Users: NeatFiles can easily export data into QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop. NeatFiles is a great complement to QuickBooks Desktop because you can store your receipts or documents in the cloud and attach them to your QuickBooks Desktop entries.
- Organizations that store large volumes of documents: NeatFiles offers unlimited monthly storage for its single plan. Moreover, NeatFiles uses bank-level encryption, making your files safe from hackers and cybercriminals.
NeatFiles Is Not a Good Fit For
- Companies scanning many receipts: Scanning and manually extracting information from receipts takes a lot of time. With Shoeboxed’s MagicEnvelope, you can send your receipts to Shoeboxed and they’ll do the scanning for you. All you need to do is focus on more important tasks and wait for the receipts to be uploaded.
- Companies looking for a receipt scanner with employee expense tracking: NeatFiles may have filters to sort items by category, but it’s not a full expense tracking app. With Zoho Expense, you can scan receipts, manage them, and reimburse it to employees.
- Companies looking for a free digital receipts scanner: NeatFiles may have great features, but some businesses—especially relatively new businesses—may prefer free options for cost consideration. Wave is one of our best small business accounting software with receipt scanning features and is free to use.
NeatFiles Pros and Cons
|Clean interface||Not a complete bookkeeping system|
|Subscription to NeatFiles includes features of NeatInvoices||Scanning two-sided documents can be difficult|
|Detailed reporting system based on different categories||No invoice reconciliation unless subscribed to NeatBooks|
|Multi-user account access|
|Free trial and unlimited customer support|
NeatFiles is available at $30 per month for unlimited users. There’s a 15-day free trial to test out the following key features:
- Unlimited storage per month
- Bank-level security encryption
- Access files anytime, anywhere
- Best-in-class data capture and human verification
- Personalized support
- Includes all NeatInvoices features
You can opt to pay $300 for a one-year subscription, which effectively reduces the price to $25 per month.
NeatFiles promises to keep your business documents safe and organized. Let’s look at NeatFile’s features in greater detail.
Upon logging in to NeatFiles, you’ll see the dashboard. It’ll give you updates about Neat and your account:
In the right panel, you can access the following:
- Dashboard: Click to go back to the Dashboard section.
- Reports: You can review and create classic and accounting reports
- File Cabinet: Access and organize your files
- Needs Review: Organize and file recently added items.
In the Dashboard window, you can do the following:
- Add Item: Import, create, or store items to Neat
- Access Settings: Adjust user account settings, manage users, and see billing settings
- Check for Neat Tips: Click to learn more about how to use Neat efficiently
- Quick Links: Easy go to frequently accessed items with Quick Links
- View Release Notes: Read about Neat’s recent features and how to use these new features
- Learn More: Access frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the section and learn how to use the section more effectively
- Access the Help Center: Visit Neat’s help center to get quick solutions for problems
- Ideas Portal: Send feedback to Neat and share your thoughts on how to improve the service
On the dashboard, you can use the Quick Links to access frequently used items quickly. If you wish to add a new item, you can send items to Neat in four ways.
Email directly to Neat
Every Neat account has a NeatCloud Email. You can use this email to send files and upload them directly to your NeatFiles account. By default, Neat will auto-detect the file type in any of the following: receipt, bill, contact, document, invoice, statement, or check.
Alternatively, you can set a specific type instead of “Auto-detect” for ease of use. All files sent via NeatCloud Email will be marked as “Unfiled.” You’ll need to file them to their corresponding folders once you get back to your account.
Neat Mobile App
You can use the Neat mobile app to scan and upload items to your NeatFiles account directly:
After taking a snapshot of the document or receipt, you can crop it by moving the blue borders. Once everything is good to go, select the item type and destination folder. By default, it will go to the Unfiled folder. However, you can also choose a specific folder.
Through the drag and drop method, you can easily upload files from your desktop to NeatFiles. Alternatively, you can choose files manually. It’s nice that you can immediately file items before uploading, saving you time from sorting unfiled things later on:
Desktop Scan Utility
The desktop scan utility is a free utility that works with your scanner. You can use this to edit scanned items, crop and adjust skew, adjust their colors, and upload them to NeatFiles:
- Select Scanner: You can select the NeatDesk Scanner or any other technology without an interesting name (TWAIN)-compliant third-party scanner.
- Scanner Settings: Adjust scan modes like one-sided or two-sided scanning or color modes.
- Recently Scanned: View and manage recently scanned items.
- Manage Recently Scanned Items: Control and manage multiple items before sending them to Neat.
- Image Editor: Crop, rotate, and adjust skew and colors of scanned items before sending them to Neat.
- Add Page Settings: Manage scan settings for multiple-page scans.
- Move or Delete Pages: Manage scanned multiple-paged items like back-to-back documents.
- Send: Click to send scanned items to NeatFiles.
Multi-user Account Access
Account owners can invite unlimited users to access the NeatFiles account. Moreover, if you have multiple NeatFiles accounts, you can also invite other users to access these accounts.
Managing items is easy with item filters. You can set filters on all your items based on type or other filter categories.
With a NeatFiles subscription, you can enjoy NeatInvoices features as well. You can generate professional invoices that contain your logo, address, and other business information. Moreover, you can set invoice reminders to remind customers about their obligations automatically:
Neat also offers reporting features that can help in accounting and decision-making. Below are the reports you can generate on Neat:
- Expense Report: Shows column information from your grid and scanned images for your items.
- Tax Category: Shows items in groups based on their tax category and percentage.
- Sales Tax: Shows the sales tax reported for transactions, including the date, subtotal, and the total tax for each group.
- Spending Detail: Shows items in groups, including a vertical analysis of subtotals expressed in percentages.
- Spending Summary: Shows a summarized report of your aggregate spending, including a vertical analysis of subtotals expressed in percentages.
Being one of our best overall receipt scanner apps, NeatFiles offers features that are vital to every business. Its file storage service works best with its invoicing features through NeatInvoices. Making invoices and storing them into your cloud storage will be easy and more comfortable than using two separate software. Therefore, we highly recommend NeatFiles if you’re looking for a receipt scanner and invoice software.