What We Recommend NonProfit+ For
NonProfit+ is great for medium-sized and large nonprofits that need strong features for restricted funds management. While many nonprofit organizations have decent accounting software to keep their financials in order, they may need help in terms of donation and volunteer management. If you’re relying on multiple spreadsheets or separate programs to manage your funds, grants, budgets, volunteers, and board members, NonProfit+ can be an excellent upgrade. It is the most scalable on the market, so it’s a terrific choice for nonprofits that are quickly growing.
NonProfit+ Is Especially Good For
- Nonprofits that receive restricted funds: You can benefit from NonProfit+ if you are receiving restricted funds designated by donors for specific purposes. It has restricted fund management features that let you define and restrict the uses of particular funds. If you want to consider other programs, read our guide to the best nonprofit accounting software.
- Nonprofits operating globally: You can manage multiple currencies with NonProfit+ while tracking gains and losses on currency translations automatically.
- Nonprofits with multiple entities: If your organization runs multiple entities or is operating globally, you can use NonProfit+ to manage and track each entity and drill-down reports into the region, country, or local level―all under a single platform.
NonProfit+ Is Not a Good Fit For
- Managers with no bookkeeping or accounting experience: NonProfit+ contains some complicated features and modules that can present a steep learning curve for nonbookkeepers. For managers of small nonprofits, a simpler program like QuickBooks Online is probably a better option.
- Small nonprofits: The program is too expensive for small nonprofits. If your organization has a limited budget, you should consider more affordable accounting software like QuickBooks Premier Nonprofit Edition.
- Nonprofits needing payroll management: The NonProfit+ accounting suite has no features for managing payroll. Aplos might be a better nonprofit accounting choice as it integrates with Gusto to help you manage payroll duties.
Are you looking for something different? For general accounting software that can be customized for nonprofits, check out our guide to the best small business accounting software.
NonProfit+ Pros and Cons
|Robust accounting system with an extensive list of features||Expensive for small nonprofits|
|Supports an unlimited number of users||Complicated to use|
|Strong restricted funds management feature||No tools for managing payroll|
|Includes a free mobile app||No upfront pricing|
Prices for NonProfit+ are not shared on Acumatica’s website, but a third-party site, Capterra, reports a starting price of $675 per month. Pricing may vary depending on the suites and features included in the subscription. If you are interested, you can visit the provider’s website to get a detailed quote based on your organization’s needs.
NonProfit+ is a robust accounting and enterprise resource planning (ERP) solution exclusively tailored to nonprofit organizations. It uses the Acumatica financial platform to help nonprofits accomplish essential tasks, such as managing and reporting on funds, grants, and programs. Look at some of its core features below.
- Fund accounting: NonProfit+ has a fund accounting module that allows you to track revenues with purpose restrictions against expenditures related to those purposes, helping you ensure that your funds are used according to predefined policies. You can also generate reports on funds to present to your trustees and boards.
- Restricted fund management: Proper restricted fund management is essential so that you can allocate and spend your money correctly. For instance, if $50,000 is budgeted for restricted funds, you cannot spend it on other purposes. This is where NonProfit+ comes in. This feature enables you to separate restricted gifts from unrestricted donations for accountability and transparency. With NonProfit+, restricted funds are tracked and recorded separately in the general ledger.
- Grant management: NonProfit+ enables you to manage, track, and report on grants, regardless of the grant life. It can help in ensuring proper data entry, budget management, and maintaining fund sources.
- Encumbrance accounting: This module can help if you need to track items that will become expenditures in the future. You can record pre-expenditures in the general ledger, allowing you to gain additional insight into your financial standing and budget into the future.
- Donor management: This feature helps you track and manage your donors as well as their gifts. It allows you to run and present reports to your donors, create donor receipts, and prepare acknowledgment letters.
- Board management: Administrators and managers can provide boards members access to relevant data that might be useful concerning budgets, restricted funds, staffing, and more. It can also be used to send reports to board members periodically.
- Volunteer management: This tool keeps a record of your volunteers and gives them limited access to the platform to track time and submit receipts.
- Enhanced audit trail: NonProfit+ can create automated audit trails that can be used by your accountants or controllers. It helps in ensuring that a year is closed properly and efficiently, relieving you of the many headaches caused by legal compliance.
Financial Management Suite
- General ledger: NonProfit+ includes a flexible general ledger account and subaccounts that you can configure depending on your needs. You can customize and drill down in your reports by setting up segments, segment lengths, and segment values. Since the general ledger is integrated with all the other modules, it gives you access to your most critical financial data.
- Accounts receivable (A/R): The A/R management system automates payment collections by generating invoices, sending statements, applying payments verifying balances, and tracking commissions. It can also deliver customer reports that can be fully integrated with the other Acumatica modules.
- Accounts payable (A/P): The A/P module manages liabilities and payments for goods and services. It allows users to enter prepayment requests, apply prepayments, assign deferred expense schedules, and approve payments.
- Cash management: This feature controls your day-to-day transactions. It gives an overview of your cash balances and fund transfers. It can also be used for bank account reconciliations.
- Currency management: This is particularly useful for those conducting business outside the United States. It computes realized and unrealized gains and losses on currency translations automatically when supporting international subsidiaries, vendors, and customers.
- Intercompany accounting: Managers of multiple nonprofit entities can track financials and reports across related companies within an organization. Intercompany accounting centralizes cash management, vendor payments, and customer invoicing while maintaining separate records of income and expenses.
- Recurring revenue management: This feature is useful if your organization or business has regular or scheduled services to clients. It can be used to automate recurring billing, payments, and collections.
- Fixed asset management: NonProfit+ tracks the valuations of assets, including their depreciation over time. It can create financial reports that can be used to maximize tax benefits and meet compliance requirements.
- Time and expense management: This labor accounting feature tracks the performance of employees, partners, and contractors. It can also be used to pay them and ensure that the client is accurately billed for their services.
Procurement Management Suite
- Inventory management: Track your available inventory, those in transit, reorder quantities, and inventory costs.
- Requisitions: NonProfit+ automates requisition requests, authorizes employees to select from a catalog, and limits requests to specific items. It also speeds up the bidding process by emailing the request to multiple vendors.
- Purchase orders: This tool helps you generate purchase orders automatically based on your stock level. You can also create approval rules for certain order types, vendor information, order amount, and other specific information.
- Sales orders: The system creates an integrated workflow that automates order processing.
Dashboard and Reporting
NonProfit+ includes real-time dashboards and customizable reports available in a wide range of dimensions. You can drill down into your reports by department, product, or any particular unit of your business. You can have your consolidated reports displayed in a monthly, quarterly, or yearly view. The program generates different kinds of reports, including financial statements, budget reports, restricted fund reports, donor reports, and encumbrance reports.
When you purchase NonProfit+, you will get a free mobile application that you can customize to your organization’s needs. You can use the mobile app to track your finances, enter and approve time and expenses, and communicate with anyone in the organization.
Customer Service and Ease of Use
NonProfit+’s user interface is not as sleek and modern as other similar programs, but if it’s fairly simple and functional with well-arranged modules. If you are familiar with Microsoft programs, then you can find your way around easily. On the downside, it uses accounting terms and contains some advanced features and modules that can be overwhelming for new users. You will need to devote some time to learn and be comfortable with NonProfit+. If you need help along the way, you can contact its support team through email, chat, phone support, and help desk. You can also check out its blogs for useful tips and information.
Best for: Nonprofit managers who want to do the bookkeeping themselves
Best for: Small nonprofits with a limited budget
Best for: Nonprofits that need donor management features
Software from: $25 per month
Software from: $499.99 per year
Software from: $59 per month
If you are willing to pay the cost for a robust fund accounting and grant management program, you’ll find NonProfit+ a great option. Its nonprofit accounting package includes plenty of helpful modules, such as donor management and board management for easy delegation and communication. The financial management suite comes with encumbrance accounting which helps with your budgeting process. On top of that, it has a strong restricted fund management feature that is superior to similar software.
Take the free product tour or sign up for a free demo to see if NonProfit+ is right for you.