This article is part of a larger series on Accounting Software.
OfficeTools WorkSpace provides everything you need to run your tax and accounting practice in a single software solution. Track projects from start to completion, organize client data, manage staff and tax workflow, and automate billing from one central dashboard while also integrating with the applications you use most.
What We Recommend OfficeTools WorkSpace For
OfficeTools WorkSpace is a time and billing software for accountants that also tracks projects and workflow. It provides everything you need to run your tax and accounting practice from a single place. With due date monitoring, reminders, activity lists, and detailed reporting, you’ll be able to stay on track with a single desktop application. You can also work from anywhere with the OfficeTools mobile app, which allows you to view project status, track time, and log phone calls. We ranked OfficeTools WorkSpace as the best overall accounting practice management software due to its robust set of features.
OfficeTools WorkSpace Is Especially Good For
- Accountants who want to manage their business from a single application: Because OfficeTools WorkSpace integrates with key applications like QuickBooks, you will be able to access your financial data from one central location.
- Accountants who are seeking a calendar function: The ability to view your calendar, monitor due dates and schedule appointments, ensures that all information flows seamlessly from one section to another.
- Accountants who are seeking strong document management features: The document management system that OfficeTools WorkSpace offers allows you to organize all of your digital documents.
OfficeTools WorkSpace Is Not a Good Fit For
- Firms that provide payroll services: Payroll service providers might consider QuickBooks Accountant Desktop to manage their practice. It offers the option to provide full-service payroll for up to 50 clients for $700 per year plus $1.75 for direct deposit.
- Firms seeking free accounting practice management software: While QuickBooks Online Accountant is also free if you have enrolled in the free QuickBooks Online ProAdvisor program, another option is Canopy, which is free for up to 20 contacts and unlimited users. It also offers an add-on tax resolution feature for $33 per month.
- Firms that work with Xero clients: Since OfficeTools WorkSpace doesn’t integrate with Xero, the best option is Xero Practice Manager, which provides you with a portal to your clients’ books. It also has a dedicated mobile app for remote work.
Are you looking to learn more about other accounting software options like QuickBooks Online? Check out our suggestions for the best small business accounting software.
OfficeTools WorkSpace Pros and Cons
|Ability to manage everything from a single screen||No free trial available|
|Integrates with QuickBooks, Lacerte, and Office 365||No upfront pricing is available|
|Ability to work anywhere with the OfficeTools mobile app||Inability to combine information types―Contact, Billing, Project, and Staff―into a single report|
|Includes a client portal with a document management feature||Steep learning curve to master all of software’s features|
OfficeTools WorkSpace Pricing
The cost of OfficeTools WorkSpace requires a custom quote. There is no free trial available.
OfficeTools WorkSpace Features
There are a variety of features that are offered to simplify the aspects of your accounting, such as document management, enhanced time and billing features, the ability to process credit card and automated clearing house (ACH) payments, and a strong mobile app. These features combine to streamline processes for both you and your team.
Utilize OfficeTools WorkSpace’s integrated document management system to organize all of your digital documents. Enable your clients to view, accept, upload, sign, pay, and add their documents to their file automatically, no matter where they are. You also have the option to brand your documents by adding your logo and colors as well as customizing your URL.
Time & Billing
OfficeTools WorkSpace offers a complete time and billing system—from tracking time to invoicing. The WorkSpace portal allows for you to send invoices digitally and collect payments online.
Access to APX PayNow
Abacus Payment Exchange (APX) simplifies your billing by allowing you to process credit card payments and ACH transactions securely from within OfficeTools. APX is Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI)-compliant, protecting your clients’ sensitive billing data. This is available at a 3% fixed rate, with no hidden fees or long-term contracts.
OfficeTools WorkSpace has a robust mobile app available for both Android and iOS that allows you to stay connected while on the road. With the Timecards feature, you can capture every billable moment directly from phone calls, emails, and text messages. You can even create new timecards and use a timer to track your actual work, then attach it to contacts, projects, and work codes. You’ll have complete access to your contacts and calendar, with the ability to create appointments, notes, to dos, and phone call records so you have a complete view of any upcoming activities.
The software integrates with the following apps: QuickBooks (Desktop and Online), Microsoft Exchange, Intuit Lacerte Tax, Intuit Profile, Canon, Lucion FileCenter, Crexendo, APX, Dymo Label, Google Maps, Yahoo, MapQuest, Facebook, Twitter, and Office 365.
OfficeTools WorkSpace Customer Service
There are a variety of support options available, which include a searchable knowledge base, multiple webinars, and guides that are accessed from its website easily. Product support via phone or email is available Monday through Friday during regular business hours, and there is also a 24/7 chat option available.
Those with more complex issues may want to consider hiring an OfficeTools consultant, who can assist with integrating the practice management solutions fully into your firm. They can also help with template development, training and onboarding, and project management. You can find a consultant by calling their toll-free number or filling out a contact form on their website.
OfficeTools WorkSpace Ease of Use
While the vast amount of available information may feel overwhelming at first, the single screen user interface in OfficeTools WorkSpace offers easy access to all clients, with a client list displayed to the left of the screen. Tabs at the top of the screen offer access to important tasks, such as Calls, Schedule, Projects, Time, Billing, and the Documents option, for complete document management capability. The screen also displays a list of upcoming tasks, with estimated times to complete each task included. The below image shows the Projects tab, which is described below:
- Client List: View a list of your clients, which is sorted alphabetically. Clicking on their name will take you to their file with more detail.
- Navigation Tabs: Navigate to various sections here, including Contacts, Notes, To-Do’s, Calls, Schedule, Projects, Time, Billing, and Documents
- Work List: This list shows action steps related to the client, such as client interview, scan/assemble, input/prep, review, and missing information. You have the ability to assign these steps to other members of your team and view the project status as well as the hours incurred to date.
- Dashboard: The dashboard section shows delivery dates, project costs, and estimated fees.
- Missing Info: If there is any missing info related to a project, it will be flagged here.
- Employee Info: Information related to an employee’s tasks is shown in this section.
Creating an invoice is fairly intuitive, which can be accessed from the billing section as shown in the image below:
Here are the steps for creating an invoice:
- Click on the Billing tab at top of the screen.
- Click on the Time button. A list of all of the billable time for a particular client is listed here. This list can be sorted in various ways including by date, employee name, or project. In the Bill column, check the boxes of the time that you want to bill.
- Click on the Invoice Now tab.
- An Invoice Now dialog box will appear, prompting you to select the invoice date and change the status of the invoice to in process, review, or final copy.
OfficeTools WorkSpace Alternatives
Best for: Firms seeking free accounting practice management software
Best for: Firms with a need to process payroll for clients
Best for: Firms with clients using Xero
Cost: Free for up to 20 contacts and unlimited users
Cost: $449 per year, plus $700 per year for 50 payroll clients
Cost: $149 per month for up to 10 users; free when you become a Silver Partner
OfficeTools WorkSpace is a practice management software suite. It brings time and billing, workflow tracking, customer relationship management (CRM), and document management together into one fully integrated package. Designed to be used throughout the day as your centralized hub, it connects your entire office by enabling your staff to work from the same database and its robust mobile app ensures that working from the road is a seamless experience.