Redhawk Logistics Review: Services, Pricing & Alternatives
This article is part of a larger series on Retail Management.
Redhawk Logistics (formerly Redhawk Global) is a small-business-friendly 3PL company that provides freight shipping, warehousing, and distribution services across the US, Canada, and Mexico. The company mainly provides freight brokerage through its network of 70+ vetted carriers, and each client receives transportation management software with personalized support. Redhawk is best for small to enterprise-level businesses seeking customized logistics solutions.
What We Like
- Access to discounted quotes from 70+ carriers
- Helpful and responsive account managers
- Asset-based warehousing and distribution services
- Highly rated in user reviews
- No parcel order fulfillment
- Support platform designed for enterprise-level clientele
- Limited network of carriers
- Freight Services: LTL, full truckload, specialized heavy haul, intermodal, drayage, break-bulk, dry van, flatbed, and refrigerated shipping. Plus port pulls and cost analysis services.
- Warehousing: Four warehouses strategically located in Ohio, short- and long-term storage, distribution services, sort-store-repack services.
- Competitive pricing with discounted rates
- Easy and fast quotes
- Efficient customer services from personal account managers
- Vetted network of 70+ recommended carriers
- Proprietary web-based Transportation Management System (TMS)
- Custom inbound routing and optimization software
- Educational online resources
- No minimum shipment frequency
When To Use Redhawk Logistics
Redhawk Logistics is a full-service freight broker offering added 3PL bulk freight storage and distribution services that appeal to manufacturers, wholesalers, and importers.
Redhawk was one of the top recommendations for freight-focused providers in our 3PL buyer’s guide. It competes closely with our top-ranking freight company NTG (formerly FreightPros), but is less equipped to work with young and growing businesses that need higher levels of support. Furthermore, Redhawk lacks the vast carrier network that NTG offers.
That being said, Redhawk Logistics pulls ahead with its unique full-service amenities that go beyond the scope of standard freight shipping.
In particular, we recommend Redhawk Logistics for:
- Freighting small shipments: Redhawk offers LTL (less-than-truckload) shipping from a wide-reaching network of carriers with a host of convenient features, like same-day pickups, cost analysis services, and claims reduction. This method of freight shipping helps defray shipping costs for businesses unable to fill an entire truckload with merchandise.
- North American sellers: A variety of freight methods are available to transport goods across the US, Mexico, and Canada for manufacturers, importers, and B2B sellers. Plus US warehousing and distribution services to complete the supply chain.
- Heavy hauls or valuable project cargo: Ensure safe, timely, and cost-effective transit of prefab buildings, heavy equipment, industrial components, and other structures. Redhawk has expertise in oversize regulations of all 50 states.
- Fragile or high-value goods: Common freight carriers can move items within these categories, but will only offer 10 cents per pound in insuring your freight. Redhawk can arrange your shipment with a van line—which are transportation companies that use large motor vans to move items that require more attention. It also offers additional insurance to cover your item’s value.
- Businesses seeking a hands-off approach: Clients can choose to manage shipments themselves through online tools provided by Redhawk, or opt to outsource the labor of scheduling, booking, and tracking freight to a service employee.
When To Use an Alternative
- Ecommerce order fulfillment: Although Redhawk’s service range can help with bulk distribution, its platform doesn’t work for merchants needing individual or parcel order fulfillment. We recommend ShipBob as the best ecommerce fulfillment partner.
- Freight shippers just starting out: Redhawk Logistics is a large enterprise whose account representatives serve a vast customer base—including some high-ticket clients. NTG is more focused on providing support and guidance for small businesses (check out our full NTG review).
- Personal items: Redhawk cannot ship personal household goods. Van line moving companies, such as Allied, are a good choice for this purpose.
- Well-established businesses: If your operation is developed to the point of having its own shipping department, Redhawk’s services will likely be overkill. Businesses at this level benefit from fostering their own relationships with partnered carriers.
Top Alternatives At-a-Glance
Best for: Standard small business and crowdfunding fulfillment needs
Best for: Order fulfillment and special handling of high-maintenance products
Best for: Full-service ecommerce marketplace management
Monthly minimum: None
Monthly minimum: ≈200 orders
Monthly minimum: 1,000 orders
Looking for something different? Check out our rankings of the best freight brokers for small businesses and our guide to the best order fulfillment companies.
Redhawk Logistics Overview
Redhawk Logistics stands apart from other freight brokers by offering a broad scope of supply chain solutions. Here’s a look at its services and features:
- Shipping: Redhawk Logistics brokers LTL freight, as well as truckload, intermodal, drayage, van line, heavy haul, climate-controlled, and flatbed shipping.
- Discounts: Clients get access to significant savings from the company’s database of qualified and vetted freight carriers, thanks to volume discounts and negotiated partnerships.
- Distribution warehousing: Redhawk has four warehouse assets strategically located in Columbus, Ohio, and offers sort-store-repack services.
- Transportation management system (TMS): The company’s advanced, web-based TMS and routing platform allows you to control, route, and manage your freight from anywhere, with helpful analytics and reporting features.
- Customer service: Experienced staff provides support and proactive management assistance through phone or email from Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time. Plus, basic inquiries can be submitted through Facebook messenger and receive a prompt response. Small accounts can use an account rep to assist as needed or be self-managed. For a more hands-off approach, turnkey 3PL management services are available with dedicated reps.
- Startup-friendliness and scalability: Redhawk has no minimum frequency or volume requirement to use its services; it also offers contractual pricing for frequent shippers.
- Expert resources: Helpful calculator tools, glossaries, FAQ posts, written guides, and regulation directories are available on the company’s website.
How Redhawk Logistics Compares to Other 3PL Companies
Credit card or Net 15 with approved credit
Credit card or Net 15 with approved credit
Created for quotes
Automatically created when you ship
Created for quotes
Website Ease of Use
Medium - lots of glossaries and FAQ sections
Medium - lots of features
Easy - simple for shipping beginners
Number of Carriers
70+ national and regional carriers
80,000 national and regional carriers
788,000 major, independent and specialty providers
Freight and Service Types
LTL, FTL, rail, and various specialty freight
LTL, FTL, rail, and various specialty freight
LTL, FTL, specialty freight, and small transport
Online Resource Rating
Online Resources Available
FAQ, state regulations, and shipping guides
Blog, e-books, videos, demos, and state guides
How-to videos, blog, and mobile app
Phone and online form
Phone, email, and online form
Phone and online form
Mon–Fri 8 a.m.–6 p.m. Eastern time
Mon–Thurs 7 a.m.–6 p.m., Fri 7 a.m.–5 p.m. Central time
Mon–Thurs 7 a.m.–7 p.m., Fri 7 a.m.–5 p.m., Sat 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Central time
Quoted Price in Test
Redhawk Logistics Pricing
Redhawk provides pricing on a quote basis. Each quote is based on the origin, destination, weight, and freight class of the shipment, and users can select from a large variety of bids.
There’s no fee or upcharge to use Redhawk’s brokerage service, and it’s free to create an account. The rates you’ll end up paying are lower than what you’d be able to negotiate on your own thanks to Redhawk’s volume discounts and long-standing partnerships.
As with other freight brokers, it’s free and simple to receive a quote for your shipping needs. We recommend shopping around to compare rates from a few brokerage options before booking.
Freight prices are commodity-based and fluctuate daily, factoring in variables like the carrier’s open truck capacity, fuel prices, shipping lanes, and weather.
To learn more about how freight 3PL and broker fees work, visit our freight brokers buyer’s guide.
Other amenities—like freight storage and distribution services—are quoted on an individual basis. Contact Redhawk to receive a quote.
Redhawk Logistics Key Features
Redhawk’s innovative technology and efficient services are the cornerstones of the organization. Here’s a deeper look at its key features:
Web-based Transportation Management System (TMS)
All clients receive access to Redhawk’s proprietary transportation management system (TMS) and routing software, called Redhawk TMS. The company also provides vSpeed, a custom inbound routing, optimization, and analytics software. These products replaced eFreightLine, the company’s previous control portal.
Through these applications, clients can unify all of their shipments onto a single dashboard—regardless of carrier or shipping method. Application programming interface (API) integrations are available to connect other tools, applications, and carrier systems as well.
Automations can be programmed to simplify the freight process, from payments to complex route decision-making.
The software also stores pertinent shipment history to create customizable reports and analyze freight spend.
Redhawk secures its title as a full-service 3PL company by offering freight storage and distribution services from its four warehouse assets.
The facilities are located in Columbus, Ohio, for optimized logistics. This area is within 500 miles of nearly half of the US population, plus multiple major Canadian border crossings and Ontario population centers.
According to Redhawk, 62% of all US retail and manufacturing business occurs within 600 miles of Columbus—making it an ideal location for wholesalers and manufacturers. Furthermore, the warehouses are all within a two-hour drive of 13 intermodal rail terminals.
The geographic advantage of these facilities means faster time-to-market and fewer miles traveled, working to reduce your transportation outlay.
All carriers contracted by Redhawk maintain cargo insurance with coverage ranging from $50,000 to $5 million, which is automatically built into your freight rate. The value of your load is factored into which carrier is recommended for use.
Redhawk has created a variety of resources to make the complex process of freight shipping easier, and they aren’t restricted to the company’s clientele.
On the Redhawk website, you can find helpful calculator tools to determine your shipment’s freight classification, bridge limitations, container size requirements, and dimensional weight.
For state regulations on oversize/overweight transportation, Redhawk has compiled a directory of resources for each state, with helpful links to bordering states’ guidelines as well.
There’s also a glossary of freight terms provided by the U.S. Department of Transportation, and in-depth FAQ sections to clarify the ins and outs of different freight methods.
Redhawk Logistics Ease of Use
- Support: The company has a well-equipped service team available to respond to shipment queries, provide guidance and recommendations, or manage accounts.
- Each client can tend to their own bookings and shipments or choose to outsource the tasks to the Redhawk staff. In either case, shippers are paired with a dedicated account representative to handle all communications.
- Though Redhawk doesn’t have a robust social media presence, its Facebook account is rated as “highly responsive to messages.” I reached out to ask a question about its scope of services and received a straightforward answer within a few hours
- Accuracy: The timeliness and accuracy of your shipments fall on the shoulders of the freight carriers rather than Redhawk, but the broker offers multiple ways to minimize the risk of damage and delays.
- A load-to-ride service offering is available in many cases, which arranges for the same truck to pick up and deliver the cargo. This prevents the cargo from being routed through a local origin terminal and a local destination terminal (as with common LTL carriers), reducing the amount of required handling and the chance for damage.
- Bookings can often be made with guaranteed transit times if specified on your quote, although not every shipment can be guaranteed. Redhawk states that all of its providers are vetted for reliability.
- Transparency and Tracking: Clients can easily track their shipments with Redhawk Logistics’ web-based application.
What Redhawk Logistics Users Think
Redhawk appears to have a shining reputation with its clientele. Poor ratings for the company are very scarce, and many positive reviews describe high levels of satisfaction. This is very rare in the logistics industry, with competitors like NTG receiving 1-star ratings in the majority of its reviews.
Many of Redhawk’s reviews praised its flexibility, stating that it was able to accommodate their fluctuating needs without difficulty or price increases. These comments were left by small business owners dealing with seasonal demand.
Nearly every review mentions the company’s staff and applauds their work ethic, professionalism, and usefulness. These positive ratings come from both clients and partnered truck drivers, who consistently remark at Redhawk’s loading efficiency.
Most of the poor or mediocre reviews don’t include a description, but the few that do revolve around billing issues. One instance appears to have been the result of shipment misclassification.
- Google Business Listing: 4-star rating from 40+ reviews
- BBB: 0 complaints filed
|Efficient loading and unloading||Credit approval system|
|Fast and consistent shipping||Classification errors|
|Friendly and helpful support staff|
Redhawk Logistics is a large organization that services a vast client base—which comes with advantages. Due to the volume it regularly ships, the company has an extensive carrier network offering deeply discounted rates. Plus, its infrastructure is well-developed to provide a wide range of services and sophisticated tools to its customers.
However, this enterprise-level platform isn’t ideal for new shippers needing higher levels of support to navigate the complex process of freight shipping. If you’re a small business just beginning to ship freight, we recommend NTG for its service-forward account management approach.
For other 3PL services, like inventory management and order fulfillment, WarehousingAndFulfillment.com can compare your specific needs to 500+ pre-screened companies to find the best fit for your business. Plus, the service is completely free to use.