Restolabs is an affordable free-standing online ordering system for restaurants that supports pre-built integrations with 15 restaurant POS brands and 30 payment processors. The software’s open application programming interface (API) also allows you to build custom integrations with your pre-existing restaurant software. This user-friendly, browser-based online ordering system is an excellent fit for restaurants and catering companies of all sizes.
When to Use Restolabs
Restolabs offers great value for the money. The system offers a ton of functions, and pricing is affordable and flexible. It offers three pricing tiers to support restaurants of any size, ensuring that small operations aren’t on the hook for tools that they don’t use.
In particular, we recommend Restolabs for:
- Restaurants that need POS integration: Restolabs earned a rating of 4.13 out of 5 in our online ordering software ranking. With an open application programming interface (API), the Restolabs software integrates with virtually every available restaurant POS system.
- Flexible payment processing: Restolabs integrates directly with 30 popular payment processors, so you’re unlikely to need a new merchant services provider to handle online payments.
- Restaurants that use on-demand third-party drivers: Restolabs integrates with DoorDash and Postmates to route deliveries to third-party drivers. Additional fees apply, but you can direct these charges to customer checks.
- Managing curbside pickup and in-house delivery drivers: Restolabs lets you include detailed pickup directions for curbside orders. To dispatch in-house drivers, Restolabs directly integrates with our favorite delivery management app, Tookan.
When to Use an Alternative
- Small restaurants that want free online ordering software: Restolabs is affordably priced, but if your small operation needs a free online ordering option, Square Online (with or without the free Square for Restaurants POS) is a better bet.
- Restaurants that want to market on a platform website: Restolabs provides an online ordering website that can stand alone or link directly to your restaurant site. If you want the boost of a hosted third-party site, look at ToastNow.
- Small-budget restaurants that need delivery management: Restolabs delivery management tools are great, but they come with additional costs. If you need driver management included in a basic online ordering tool, try Tock To Go.
|Open API and easy POS integration||No third-party marketing platform|
|Multiple options for payment processing||Some integrations require additional subscriptions|
|14-day free trial||Detailed driver dispatch requires an additional app subscription|
Restolabs offers its online ordering software at three different pricing tiers: Basic, Premium, and Enterprise. Pricing for the Basic package starts at $45 per month, per store for restaurants that pay monthly. However, if you pay all of your subscription fees annually, Restolabs gives you a break on the price, essentially giving you two months free. If you want the Restolabs team to set up your menu for you, there is a setup fee of $149.
Monthly Subscription Fee
Annual Subscription Fee
Coupons and Promotions
Since the Restolabs management dashboard is browser-based, you can access it from any internet-enabled device. The system also integrates with most restaurant POS systems, so you probably won’t need to purchase any new hardware to run Restolabs. Small operations that run without a POS or opt not to integrate with their POS will want to set aside an internet-enabled tablet or desktop computer to stay on top of incoming orders.
- 30+ payment processors: If Restolabs doesn’t already integrate with your payment gateway, you can request a custom integration.
- PCI compliant: Secure enough to comply with all major credit and debit card requirements.
- PayPal compatible: If you want added security for online payments, Restolabs integrates with PayPal.
- Gift Cards: Accept gift cards for online orders.
Restolabs is one of the most payment agnostic online ordering platforms available. This software hosts pre-built integrations with all the most popular payment gateways. Small restaurants or catering companies that want a plug-and-play online ordering and payment solution can get started quickly with a Stripe or PayPal account. High-volume restaurants can shop around for the best processing rates from multiple processors.
You can also accept gift cards as payment for online orders. Many popular payment processors, like Heartland, will create custom gift cards for their clients. If yours doesn’t, however, you can get custom gift cards through Restolabs’ partner The Customer Connection.
Restolabs is a browser-based online ordering app. Once you’ve created your online menu (or had the Restolabs team build it for you), you choose from a selection of pre-designed templates to finish your online ordering site. You can append your Restolabs ordering site to your pre-existing restaurant website or—if you don’t have a restaurant website—use Restolabs as a free-standing ordering site.
This high functioning online ordering software includes a Swiss Army knife of functions for food and beverage businesses. These include the following:
- Customizable combos and modifiers: You can include every possible modification online because Restolabs’ modifier screens are checkbox-based. You can also add prices to specific modifications so that every addition is accounted for. And because Restolabs supports multiple combo order styles, you can build individual burger deals or meals for the whole family.
- QR code ordering: Creating scannable QR codes that link to an online ordering site became a lifesaving strategy for restaurants during the COVID-19 pandemic. Restolabs includes QR code ordering options in the baseline app to support contact-free ordering online or in person.
- Mobile app: For a one-time setup fee of $499, the Restolabs team will build a custom mobile app that your customers can download to their iOS or Android smartphones. The app retains customer order history to support one-click reordering and allows you to send location-based text notifications when customers enter your vicinity.
- Multi-location management: You can manage several restaurants from a single Restolabs dashboard. View all your locations at once, or filter through them individually. You can clone menus from one location to another and track your customers in bulk or by location.
- Customizable user permissions: You can give employees, drivers, and managers access to your Restolabs dashboard and limit what information each role has access to.
Restolabs online ordering software is an integration powerhouse. The system has an open API that you can use to build a direct integration with other open API systems (like Lightspeed POS, for example).
For a more cost-effective solution, you can also integrate your Restolabs site via order aggregators ItsaCheckmate and Chowly. This setup further enables you to easily run an in-house online ordering solution alongside third-party platform sites, which can help promote your restaurant to new customers. Chowly and ItsaCheckmate have their own monthly fees, but for small restaurants without a software specialist on staff, they cost less than building your own API integration.
Via Chowly and ItsaCheckmate, Restolabs easily integrates with:
- Revel Systems
- Heartland POS
- Squirrel Systems
Restolabs also integrates with Intuit QuickBooks and includes a ton of payment processing integrations too. For payment processing, Restolabs integrates directly with:
- PayPal Pro
- First Data
- American Payment Solutions
- CC avenue
- CCAvenue V 2
- Element Vantiv
- NAB Velocity
- RakBank Pay
- Datafast (Https)
- UsaEpay V1 (Save Cards)
- Freedom Pay
- Mercado Pago
- Checkout Frame
- Clover Payment
- Mercado Pago Hosted
- Moneris Canada
- Checkout.Fi V2
- JCC Payment
- Authorizenet (with Customer Profiling)
- Payeezy V2
- Bambora (Formerly Known As Beanstream)
- Payfort Start
- Square Connect
Restolabs Order Management
- Customizable alerts: Receive order updates via email, SMS text, directly in your POS, or directly to compatible printers.
- Allow Pre Orders: Customize order windows from one day to 30 days in advance.
- Control order flow: Set your system to alert customers to “minimum order processing time” during busy hours.
- Set order limits: Create minimum and maximum order levels to control online ordering.
- Create branded notifications: Write customer email or SMS notifications in your own voice.
- Control payment type: Choose whether customers pay for their orders online, upon delivery, with a card, or with cash.
Restolabs allows you to control a lot of granular order details. Beyond simple time-limited menus, you can set order minimums and maximums for online orders. The order maximum setting is particularly important to avoid large, fraudulent orders that can torpedo your sales. If you like planning ahead, you can allow pre-orders up to 30 days in advance and also create automated messages during busy hours so customers know what to expect.
If you want to avoid the higher card-not-present processing fees, you can limit payment types for online orders. Set your orders to only allow in-person credit card payments, cash only, or payment upon delivery. You can also choose to prompt customers to leave a cash or credit card tip. Once an order is placed, you can decide how to receive it; either via email, SMS text message, directly to a kitchen printer, or via a POS integration.
- Multiple driver options: Use your own drivers or direct orders to third-party delivery drivers.
- Tookan integration: In-house driver dispatch operates on the Tookan platform, one of our favorite delivery management software tools.
- Multiple delivery zones: Create custom delivery zones and block orders from addresses that are too distant.
- Customizable delivery fees: Set automatic delivery fees for various delivery zones.
You can use your Restolabs site to process takeout and curbside orders only or add delivery service. Restolabs lets you choose to use an in-house team of drivers or direct orders to third-party drivers on the DoorDash and Postmates platforms. These on-demand third-party drivers cost a flat rate per order. Rates vary depending on the service and distance but are usually anywhere from $4 to $9 per delivery. Restolabs lets you pass these charges directly to customers if you wish.
Basic Restolabs memberships allow you to set delivery areas and charge delivery fees, but to unlock maps-based driver dispatch tools you’ll need a Premium membership and a Tookan subscription. Tookan is a robust delivery tool that includes real-time driver tracking, route optimization, scheduling, and till tracking. Tookan pricing ranges from $49 to $299 per month, depending on your delivery volume. Small operations with a streamlined analog delivery system likely won’t need these added features, however.
Marketing and CRM
- Loyalty: Built-in points-based loyalty lets you apply dollar amounts or percentage discounts for returning customers.
- Newsletter: Create email campaigns to alert existing customers to specials and promotions and to drive repeat online orders.
- Robust coupons: The system allows you to create coupons just for your online customers or replicate your dine-in offers.
- Customizable promotions: Assign custom promo codes to offer to specific customers or offer an employee or investor discount for online orders.
- Automated notifications: Mobile app users can send automated messages to nearby customers.
- Promotional banners: Create unique banners on your ordering site to drive orders of new menu items or specials.
- Facebook integration: Use your online ordering URL to add an “order now” button to your restaurant’s Facebook page.
- Google and Facebook logins: Let your customers log in to your restaurant ordering site using Facebook or Google credentials.
Restolabs includes a lot of common sense customer management functions, including a built-in loyalty system. Restolabs logs your customer addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses alongside their order history. If you already have a customer list, you can import it into Restolabs via .csv or .xls file. You can leverage this information to send regular newsletter-style emails with offers and seasonal promotions. Templated reports allow you to track customer behavior across locations or during certain hours of the day.
Restolabs users who go for a custom mobile app can create location-based automated notifications that target customers near your restaurant. Alert nearby guests to your daily lunch special or offer a coupon to prompt a future order. You can paste your online ordering menu URL onto your social media accounts to drive orders from your followers. These marketing options are great for restaurants that already have a loyal fanbase, but it would be nice if Restolabs also had a central platform to promote member restaurants to new customers like competitors Toast Now and Tock To Go do.
Restolabs Ease of Use
- Guided setup: Pop-up dialog boxes guide you through all your setup details.
- Multiple language options: Let employees use the Restolabs interface in their preferred language to speed service.
- Robust training resources: Easily access user manuals and guided tutorials, or schedule one-on-one sessions with Restolabs reps.
- 24/7 Customer support: Reach customer support via phone, email, or in-app chat.
- Multiple notification options: Set orders to arrive via email, SMS text, POS integration, fax, or printer.
From end to end, this system is incredibly easy to use. Restolabs strikes an outstanding balance between offering pre-built templates and supporting customization. When you first open your Restolabs dashboard, a series of pop-up dialog boxes prompts you to fill in the granular details of your restaurant’s location, phone number, and operating hours. The dashboard also guides you through setting up your menu. You can quickly bulk upload menu images, set time limitations on menus, and add multiple modifiers. Restaurants with streamlined menus can get a fully functioning Restolabs online ordering site up in less than an hour.
If you need further assistance, you can schedule a one-on-one Skype training session. Customer support is available via phone, email, or in-app chat. Customer service representatives are, technically, available 24/7 via the in-app chat function, but the Restolabs off-hours team can get spread a little thin. The company does promise to respond to urgent requests immediately and all others within three hours, though. Several Restolabs reviews mention the excellent customer support, so it doesn’t appear that its support configuration limits the software’s functionality.
Your customers will experience a high-functioning online ordering site or mobile app interface. The image-based menu is quick to navigate. Modification options are listed as checkboxes, so customers can easily add or subtract items from their order.
Restaurants that want online ordering built into their POS
Online ordering with Google integration
Free online ordering for mom and pop restaurants
Free online ordering with a free restaurant POS
Online ordering with included driver management
What Users Think of Restolabs
The vast majority of Restolabs reviews are positive. Users often cite the software as affordable, intuitive, and customizable for restaurants and catering companies. Many users also mention that Restolabs’ customer support is friendly and responsive. Popular software review aggregating sites showcase users’ love for Restolabs:
- Capterra: Restolabs earns a rating of 5 out of 5, based on five user reviews
- G2: Restolabs earns a rating of 4 out of 5 based on two user reviews.
The rare negative review mentions some occasional software glitches; one reviewer specifically mentions their Restolabs software double-charges customers. Some users would also like to see more robust driver management functions included in the Basic subscription package.
Users Don’t Like
Occasional software glitches
Driver dispatch tools have limitations
Responsive customer support
Restolabs is a user-friendly, affordable online ordering software tool for restaurants and other food businesses like catering companies. With an open API and dozens of pre-built integrations, Restolabs can plug into whatever other restaurant software you use. Three pricing tiers ensure that you’ll never pay for tools that you won’t use. To see if this online ordering software is a fit for your restaurant, contact Restolabs for a demo and a 14-day free trial.