This article is part of a larger series on Accounting Software.
Rydoo, an expense management software program, can process business expenses and streamline your expense processing and approval without the need for excessive paperwork and labor hours. You can submit and approve expenses through the web or on-the-go via the app. Rydoo offers plans that start at $10 per month if billed annually.
- No expense card option
- No reimbursement system
- Not an alternative for a bookkeeping system
- Those who want a detailed expense management app: Rydoo organizes your expenses based on users, categories, and status. You can manage your expenses easily, depending on what information you want to see and analyze.
- Those who report expenses in multiple currencies: If your business has foreign operations or if you hire overseas employees, Rydoo can accept expenses in multiple currencies. You can also set expense rules by country to control expenses.
- Those looking for affordable plans: Rydoo is the best choice for inexpensive expense management software. With its affordable annual plans, you can save hundreds of dollars without sacrificing much-needed features like expense workflow approvals and integration features.
- Those who need a built-in reimbursement system: Rydoo has many expense management and processing features, but it doesn’t have a reimbursement system. Once you approve an expense, you have to go to another app or manually reimburse expenses. Instead, we recommend Zoho Expense because it has expense recording, categorization, approval, and reimbursement.
- Those looking to combine expense tracking and accounting: Rydoo only processes expenses and cannot be used as an alternative to bookkeeping apps. You can only use it to control expenses, and you still need to export expense data to your accounting software or ERP system. If you want to combine expense management and bookkeeping, we ranked QuickBooks Online as the best overall small business accounting software.
- Those who want a flexible and free expense tracker with built-in card program: Emburse Spend is a card program with expense tracking capabilities. The platform is free to use and users will only pay for transaction fees. It’s a flexible option because it doesn’t charge a fixed monthly cost.
Rydoo Deciding Factors
Supported Business Types
Businesses looking for an affordable expense tracker
Accounting Software Integration
Email and knowledge base
Best for: Freelancers and small businesses looking for an all-around expense tracker with a reimbursement feature
Best for: Companies looking for full-featured accounting software with expense tracking
Best for: Companies looking for a free expense tracker with card program
Costs: $0 to $12
Costs: $30 to $200
$12 per active user
$14 per active user
Scanning of Receipts
Submit & Track Mileage
Trip & Project Allocation
Expense Approval Flows
Integration With QuickBooks, Exact, Xero, Slack, Uber & Lyft
Spending Rules & Policies
Create Unlimited Branches
Maximum of 3
Dedicated Project Manager
Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Integration
Application Programming Interface (API) Access
Single Sign-On (SSO)
Integration With SAP, Oracle, NetSuite & Microsoft Dynamics
As one of our best business expense trackers, Rydoo’s main features focus on expense processing. You can use its features to create workflows to organize and structure processing. When using Rydoo, there are two roles: personal and approver. Let’s check out these roles.
Users assigned a personal role are allowed to submit and track their expenses.
Once a user logs in to the web version of Rydoo, they’ll see the dashboard. The dashboard shows a summary of information about the user’s expenses. They’ll also see upcoming bookings that have been logged using Rydoo:
On the dashboard, you can see expenses classified based on their status. Each status has a corresponding amount to show the expense to be accounted for along the workflow.
There are different modes of submitting an expense in Rydoo. At the upper-right corner, click “Add an expense.” A drop-down menu will appear and show the ways to submit an expense:
- Upload: You can upload a receipt directly from your computer
- Email: Digital receipts sent to your inbox can be forwarded to Rydoo by forwarding them to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Manual: A form will appear so that you can fill in the expense manually
- Mileage: You can input miles and let Rydoo apply the standard mileage rates
- Per diem: Employees on business trips can submit per diem based on the lists uploaded in Rydoo
Users can also submit expenses using Rydoo’s mobile app. The mobile app is available on Android and iOS. A significant advantage of having the mobile app is that users can capture receipts with their smartphone’s camera and upload them directly to Rydoo:
When users capture receipts, Rydoo will scan the receipts and extract the date, amount, merchant, and currency automatically. If you want to add more information, fill in the blank fields in the expense submission form:
Whether on the web or mobile version, every expense has a status to keep you informed of its position in the approval workflow:
- To be verified: Incomplete and unsubmitted expenses.
- To submit: Complete but unsubmitted expenses.
- Submitted: Completed and submitted expenses awaiting action from the approver.
- Rejected: Expenses rejected by the approver. As a user, you’ll see a rejection reason.
- Approved: Submitted expenses approved by the approver.
- Controlled: Second optional level of approval—can be disabled in the settings menu.
- Reported: Approved expenses awaiting reimbursement.
In your company, you can set approvers to review and approve employee expenses. You can give approver roles to managers or supervisory employees. You can switch to this role by clicking “Approver” in the dashboard.
The Approver dashboard shows the list of all submitted expenses. You can view these expenses under Expenses for Approval. As an approver, you can also see the unsubmitted expenses of employees, including your expenses.
If you click the name of an employee, you’ll see the summary of all expenses. The summary will provide basic information like the date, merchant, amount, type, status, and category. At the bottom right of the list, you’ll see the total amount of the expense:
By clicking on the item, Rydoo will show more detailed information about the expense. As an approver, you have to check if the expense complies with company policies, such as limits and documentation requirements. Moreover, you can save time by setting expense policies to limit or remind submitters to comply with all the requirements.
When the approver rejects the expense, they must state the reason for rejection. By clicking the Reject button, a pop-up window will prompt the approver to include a reason for rejection. Below the rejection reason, approvers can add additional notes or instructions:
If the approver is on a business trip, they can keep up with expense submissions via the mobile app. As with the web version, approvers can scrutinize and review expenses. It’s easier and more comfortable to approve and reject expenses this way because you don’t need to open your laptop or computer all the time. Through your smartphone, you can manage company expenses wherever and whenever you want:
When you reject an expense on mobile, the app will also require you to include a reason for rejection.
If there are unsubmitted expenses, you can remind employees to submit them. This feature is helpful if your company’s workforce is working from home:
To remind employees, you have to click “unsubmitted expense,” then head to Actions. Click “Send Reminder.”
Another helpful feature of Rydoo is its expense rules. You can reduce the work of approvers by setting up expense rules and letting Rydoo filter out expenses that don’t comply with expense limits, minimum documentation requirements, or that have incomplete descriptions.
The dashboard shows the list of rules you have set previously. You can edit or delete existing rules as you see fit:
You can access expense rules in the Admin Tab. On the right-side panel, click “Admin” and head to “Expense Rules.” Then, on the top right corner, click “Add Expense Rule.” A new window will appear where you can set the limits and applicability of the rules.
When you want to create a new rule, there are four main items you need to fill out:
Rydoo User Reviews
Users praise Rydoo for its clean and sleek user interface. Some pointed out that Rydoo should fix minor problems like recognizing correct company users when using optical character recognition (OCR).
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Rydoo free?
You can try Rydoo for free for 14 days. There is no free plan in Rydoo.
Where is Rydoo based?
Rydoo has offices in Belgium, France, Poland, Brazil, the Philippines, Portugal, and the United States.
Rydoo Expense Management is an app that can help your company report expenses properly because it has application control features that prevent employees from submitting expenses that violate expense rules. However, it lacks a reimbursement system, so you’ll have to process the checks or automatic deposits elsewhere. Overall, it works best for expense management and control, especially if your business has an accounting software or ERP system.