Shipday is a cloud-based dispatch and delivery tracking software tool for restaurants and small businesses that want to manage in-house couriers. Shipday integrates directly with popular ecommerce and online ordering platforms. It can communicate with other small business tools, like your point of sale (POS), via an open application programming interface (API). The basic Shipday subscription is free to use for up to 300 deliveries per month.
When to Use Shipday
The Shipday team designed this software to support small businesses with tight budgets. This software is an excellent tool for small independent restaurants, farms, and retailers that want to manage a team of in-house delivery drivers.
In particular, we recommend Shipday for:
- Small restaurants, farms, and retail shops that need free software: Shipday is free to use for up to 300 deliveries per month.
- Restaurants and retail shops that want online ordering integration: Shipday integrates with several popular online ordering platforms and retail ecommerce sites. Restaurant users can easily sync Shipday with GloriaFood and Toast Now, plus several others. Retailers can connect to their Square, Shopify, or WooCommerce sites.
- Businesses that want proof of delivery: Shipday allows you to require proof of delivery with photos or digital signatures.
- Shops and restaurants that take delivery orders by phone: Shipday’s manual order entry is a streamlined way to organize delivery orders placed by phone or email. You can also upload new orders in bulk via an Excel sheet.
- Farms and small wholesalers that distribute other businesses: If your team delivers your products to the same clients regularly, you can use Shipday’s tools to optimize your driver’s routes. The templated online ordering forms and delivery scheduling tools will keep your routes organized.
When Shipday Would Not Be a Good Fit
- Restaurants that want POS integration: Shipday lacks pre-built integrations with the most popular restaurant POS systems. You could build an integration using the system’s open API, but try Toast if you want a built-in POS delivery system with integrated payment processing.
- Shops and restaurants that need cash tracking: Shipday’s cash tracking functions are limited. If you need to accept a high volume of cash on your deliveries, check out Tookan.
- Shops and restaurants that want integrated marketing: You can, technically, download customer contact information from Shipday and use it to create email and SMS text lists for customized marketing. But, if you want customizable marketing tools with your delivery system, check out Tock To Go.
Need an all-in-one solution? If you want software that can manage in-store, mobile, and online orders, see our recommendations for the best POS systems for small businesses. Many of them have basic delivery management tools or work with third-party software.
|Free basic subscription||Discounts and fees are not automated|
|Dynamic driver app with live tracking and SMS text messaging||Requires separate merchant account|
|Lots of online training resources||Cash tracking functions are limited|
Shipday’s delivery management software is available at three pricing tiers: Starter, Professional, and Branded Premium. The pricing varies based on the number of deliveries you process monthly and the degree of function you need. This model ensures that small shops and restaurants don’t pay for tools they don’t use. If you deliver less than 300 orders in a month, you can use Shipday’s Starter tools for free.
$0.10 per order/ minimum $14.99 per month
$299 per month; $0.15 per additional order
Up to 300 orders per month
2,000 orders per month
Customer Messaging options
Email and web chat
Email and webchat
Phone, email, and dedicated account manager
Driver app with location tracking
Customer delivery tracking via SMS link
Branded customer experience
All Shipday subscriptions sync with the Shipday Driver App, which tracks your drivers in real time. Starter subscribers can see this information in their dispatch dashboard; Professional and Branded Premium subscribers can send customers a tracking link to follow. The Shipday dashboard is browser-based, so you can use it on any internet-enabled computer or tablet. Your drivers can download the drivers’ app on any smartphone.
Another nice feature for small operations: Shipday does not require long-term contracts for any of its subscribers. Use the system as long as you want, and let it go if it no longer fits your business.
Shipday was created by a couple of grad school classmates on a mission to build affordable tools for small businesses. It is easy to see their mission at work in Shipday’s pay-as-you-go pricing structure and right-size tools for small businesses. Shipday’s delivery management tools are incredibly streamlined, giving independent business owners the tools they need to compete with bigger industry players.
The browser-based Shipday dashboard accepts manually entered delivery requests alongside delivery orders from integrated online ordering platforms or built-in delivery request forms. The system has all the tools you need to assign those orders to in-house delivery drivers, dispatch driving directions, and track drivers in real time. Your dispatch dashboard syncs with the Shipday driver app, giving your delivery team a streamlined interface to accept new deliveries, communicate with customers, and track their earnings.
In addition to the integrations, and delivery, driver, and customer management tools we’ll explore in detail below, the Shipday platform also includes:
- Reporting: Shipday tracks your driver performance, delivery history, and customer feedback. You can view these reports from the Shipday dashboard and filter the information by day, week, month, or year. If you want to analyze it further, you can download any report as an Excel sheet.
- Excel integration: Excel communication works in both directions. Professional and Enterprise subscribers can bulk upload new deliveries in an Excel file to populate their dispatch screen with new orders quickly. This function is especially useful for farms and wholesale businesses that deliver to the same customers regularly.
- Customizable pickup locations: Courier businesses that need their drivers to pick up items from multiple locations can accept any address as a pickup location. Businesses that only deliver their own products (like flower shops and restaurants) can set a single pickup location for all deliveries.
Shipday has a few pre-built integrations, primarily with online ordering and ecommerce platforms. Enabling these integrations requires a Professional or Enterprise level Shipday account. You will also need to subscribe separately to the partner app, which may have its own fees. Connecting to these pre-configured partners is easily done in the Shipday dashboard. The Shipday team includes foolproof, step-by-step instructions on how to connect these tools.
Shipday’s restaurant integrations include:
- Toast Now
Shipday’s retail integrations include:
- Square Online
You can also build your own integrations via Shipday’s open API. The Shipday team tries to make this as easy as possible, offering comprehensive API codes categorized by function and in multiple programming languages. If the phrase “programming languages” terrifies you, you’ll probably want to hire an IT specialist to build the integration for you. Or, opt for the Branded Premium Shipday subscription; it includes custom-built integrations.
Shipday Delivery Management
- Manual or automated delivery entry: Enter deliveries directly in the Shipday dashboard, or connect to your ecommerce or online ordering platforms to automate delivery requests.
- Online order form templates: Create delivery request forms and include links on your website.
- Google verified addresses: Shipday scans for address accuracy, so you know an address is valid before dispatching a driver.
- On-demand deliveries: Choose to allow delivery requests at any time.
- Scheduled deliveries: Choose to accept delivery requests on a set timeframe, days, or weeks in advance.
- Delivery confirmation: Require a photograph or digital signature to confirm items were delivered.
Your Shipday dashboard accepts new orders via manual input, excel sheet upload, or direct integration with compatible ecommerce and online ordering platforms. Shops that use Shipday without any online ordering or POS integrations can accept online orders using one of Shipday’s templated order forms.
You can include links to these order forms on your website or social media accounts, and customers fill in all their relevant order information. The only information these online order forms cannot accept is payment. To process payment, you’ll need to have a merchant account and physical card reader or have an invoicing system.
In your Shipday dashboard, you can choose to accept on-demand delivery requests (like a restaurant) or scheduled deliveries (like a flower shop or farm). Shipday scans Google Maps to verify delivery addresses as they are entered, so you can immediately spot errors. To keep everyone on the same page, you can require a photograph or digital signature to confirm completed deliveries.
Shipday Driver Management
- Detailed driver profile: Driver profiles include a photograph, contact information, and vehicle information.
- Customizable driver pay: Choose to compensate drivers by mileage or delivery fees.
- Smartphone driver app: The driver app alerts drivers to new orders and provides driving directions.
- Maps integration: Drivers can choose Google Maps, Apple Maps, or Waze for navigation.
- Driver route optimization: Optimize routes in the Shipday dashboard. Drivers can re-optimize routes from their smartphones.
- Automated dispatch: Professional and Enterprise users can let Shipday handle driver assignments.
The combination of the Shipday dashboard and the attached Shipday driver app can make any small business owner feel like Uber’s CEO. Your drivers download the app on their phone, then choose to “go online.” As soon your drivers go online in the driver app, you can see them in your Shipday dashboard. When you assign deliveries to drivers, they receive a prompt in their smartphone app to accept or decline the delivery.
The dispatch screen in your Shipday dashboard shows your driver locations in real time. Professional and Branded Premium users can send customers a text message with a live tracking link so that they can follow their deliveries in real time. You can assign new deliveries to drivers manually, or—if you have one of the higher subscription tiers—set parameters and allow Shipday to assign deliveries for you automatically.
Shipday lets you choose to compensate your delivery drivers per delivery, by distance, or with a percentage of the delivery fee. You could also choose a combination of these or none at all. If you deliver to the same customers weekly or only accept scheduled orders, you can create optimized driver routes in your Shipday dashboard. If drivers run into bad weather or construction, they can re-optimize their assigned route in the driver app.
Shipday Customer Management
- Email updates: All Shipday subscriptions include email order confirmation and delivery receipts.
- Real-time delivery tracking link: Professional and Enterprise users can allow customers to track their driver in real time.
- SMS text messaging: Enable drivers to text customers with questions or updates from the driver app.
- Ratings: Prompt customers to rate their experience and track feedback in your Shipday dashboard.
Shipday’s customer management tools are slightly limited. Shipday automatically sends delivery confirmations to your customers via email so they know when you entered their order into your system and when it was delivered. Professional and Enterprise users can also send updated text messages with the delivery’s estimated time of arrival (ETA) directly from the dispatch dashboard or text a live tracking link to customers.
At the end of a delivery, customers can rate their experience, allowing you to address any issues or service failures immediately. Shipday’s Customer Service report lets you spot trends in customer satisfaction and track your on-time and late deliveries.
Shipday Ease of Use
- Online resources: Detailed videos for multiple staff roles are available on Shipday’s website.
- Multiple language support: The driver app is available in seven different languages.
- 24/7 customer support: Available via email or webchat 24/7 and via phone during standard business hours.
- Downloadable driver app: Drivers can download the Shipday driving app from Google Play and App Store.
Shipday’s management dashboard is organized and easy to read. Tabs along the top of the screen allow you to quickly toggle between dispatch, orders, drivers, reports, and live map views. The main navigation menu also connects you directly to the integration screen, where you can easily toggle on any of Shipday’s pre-built integration partners. If you run into any trouble, you can reach Shipday’s customer support team via web chat or check out the video tutorials on the Shipday website.
Drivers can download the Shipday driver app from Google Play and App Store. They can choose to operate their app in seven languages (English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian, French, or Russian). The driver app is incredibly easy to navigate and includes live GPS driving directions via Google Maps, Apple Maps, or Waze. But, if you need more support, Shipday offers detailed video tutorials to teach drivers how to use the interface.
To optimize your delivery operation, you’ll likely want to assign the dispatch tasks to an onsite staff member to enter and assign orders. Depending on the volume of orders, your dispatcher might be a shift supervisor, cook, or a dedicated employee. Anyone can quickly learn Shipday’s dispatch functions by viewing the platform’s detailed video tutorials.
Shipday’s customer support team is available 24/7 via webchat and email. They can also be reached by phone during standard Monday-through-Friday business hours. In the evenings and weekends, it can take one to two hours to get a response from Shipday. The Shipday dashboard contains a wealth of information, so you may never even need off-hours support. If your shop is busiest during standard business hours, this will also never be a problem.
Shipday Restaurant Software Alternatives
Restaurants and retail shops that want barcode tracking and cash payments on delivery orders
Small businesses that want delivery management with a rewards program
Retail stores and restaurants that use bike couriers
Small restaurants that want built-in online ordering with payments and delivery
High-volume delivery restaurants that want a built-in POS delivery system
What Users Think of Shipday
Shipday is well-reviewed across the board. Small business owners give the system high marks for its affordable price and helpful customer support staff.
- Capterra: Shipdays earned a rating of 5 out of 5 based on eight user reviews.
- Shopify App Store: Shopify users give the Shipday software 4 out of 5 stars based on four reviews.
- Google Play: Drivers rate the Shipday driver’s app 4.3 out of 5 stars based on 43 reviews.
A few negative reviews mention API integration glitches and long customer service response times. However, most reviewers expressed how helpful the Shipday support team is and how easy the system is to use. This difference could be due to the varying levels of customer support included in Shipday’s membership tiers. All the Shipday representatives I have interacted with have been responsive and mission-driven.
It would be great if Shipday included some marketing tools to enable small, independent businesses to create targeted campaigns for specific customer groups. Technically, users can build an email list by copying emails from their order history, but this requires a lot of administrative time. For small farms and wholesalers that supply other businesses, it would also be nice to see some invoicing tools or a meaningful accounting integration. Considering Shipday’s stated mission to help level the playing field for small business owners, however, I’d be surprised if it doesn’t develop these tools soon.
Users Don’t Like
Pay as you go subscription lets small businesses control costs.
Lacks robust integrations for marketing and accounting.
Driver app is intuitive and easy to use.
Some API integrations are glitchy.
Customer support reps are friendly and knowledgeable.
Can take time to hear back from customer support.
Shipday offers delivery management software with no long-term contracts or specialized equipment. The pay-as-you-go pricing format is an excellent fit for shops and restaurants that want to control their costs. Shipday’s free Starter subscription is terrific for small shops and farm operations that deliver 300 orders or less every month. With real-time driver tracking and several online ordering integrations, Shipday is robust enough to support higher-volume courier, retail, or restaurant businesses too. To see if Shipday is right for your shop, visit its website to schedule a free demo.