Helping employer establish a maternity policy
I work for a small business that is interested in starting a paid maternity policy. I am anxious to get the ball rolling on this since I will be out on maternity starting in April. What are some ways in which I can help provide them some options for affordable maternity policies?
You’ve come to the right place.
We have an article on how to set up a maternity leave policy and it even contains a sample policy that’s free to download. What I might recommend:
1) Print the article
2) Download and print the policy example
3) Mark up the policy in a way that makes sense for your company, for example, might they offer paid leave, or only unpaid leave?
4) Present the information to them to mull over
5) (Be patient, they may want to consider options)
6) Schedule a meeting a few days later to talk through your maternity needs and see if that helps them get the ball rolling.
If they have fewer than 50 employees, they’re not required to provide leave, but many employers want to keep their team members happy — at least by providing unpaid leave. Approaching it from your own needs, may help them think through what they want to offer for all.
Good luck to you and congrats on the baby!!!
Disclaimer: We spend hours researching and writing our articles and strive to provide accurate, up-to-date content. However, our research is meant to aid your own, and we are not acting as licensed professionals. We recommend that you consult with your own lawyer, accountant, or other licensed professional for relevant business decisions. Click here to see our full disclaimer.
Product or company names, logos, and trademarks referred to on this site belong to their respective owners.