U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card
Best For: Earning points rewards in your choice in category spending
|Intro APR||Regular APR||Annual Fee||Credit Needed|
|0%*||11.99% - 22.99%* Variable||$0*||Excellent|
The U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card is a good rewards card for owners who can take advantage of the you-choose-it rewards program. You’ll earn three times the points in one of three categories you choose: day-to-day expenses, automotive or travel, and entertainment. There’s no annual fee and an ongoing annual percentage rate (APR) as low as 11.99%.
The best business credit cards that offer points rewards pay up to five times the points on at least one bonus category, offer introductory rewards of as much as 50,000 points and introductory 0% APR of nine months or more. The U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card falls a bit short in two out of these three categories but offers a solid no-interest period and has an intriguing rewards program that pays up to three times. We give it four out of five stars.
How We Evaluated the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card
We evaluated all aspects of the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card. You will earn three times the points on one of three categories you choose. Introductory rewards could be worth $200. Introductory and ongoing rewards aren’t as good as you’d earn on the Chase Ink Business PreferredSM, but that card charges an annual fee of $95.
We considered the following criteria when grading this card based on what owners might need and want in a small business credit card for travel:
- Ongoing rewards: The points you’ll earn by using the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card; this card earns three times the points in one of three categories you choose: day-to-day expenses, automotive or travel and entertainment; if you don’t want points, choose a cash back business credit card
- Introductory rewards: The points you’ll earn by reaching minimum spending requirements during the first few months of card ownership; the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card offers 20,000 points after you spend $1,000 within the first 90 days
- Additional benefits: Whether the card comes with free perks that may increase its value; the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card offers valuable perks like purchase security and extended warranty benefits
- Annual fee: How much you’ll pay each year to own the card; the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card charges no annual fee
- Intro APR: Whether the card offers a period of no-interest financing on purchases or balance transfers; the U.S. Bank card offers 0% APR on purchases for the first nine billing periods
- Ongoing APR: How much it will cost to finance purchases on the card; this card charges an ongoing APR of 11.99% to 22.99%
The U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card offers small business owners a relatively inexpensive way to earn introductory and ongoing rewards — and to finance their ongoing spending. It’s a good card for business owners whose budgeted spending can fit neatly into one of the three bonus categories.
How We Evaluate Points Rewards Business Credit Cards
When grading points rewards business credit cards like the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card, we weight ongoing and introductory rewards heaviest. We also take into account the annual fee, introductory and ongoing APRs and card benefits. This U.S. Bank card offers introductory and ongoing APRs that don’t quite match what the best small business credit cards offer.
We graded the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card using the following methodology:
Based on our five-star rating system where 20 points equals one star, the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card is a solid four-star card. In cases where cards receive perfect scores in most categories, we may award bonus points to boost the card’s rating.
The U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card falls just below being a top pick. It offers a lot for having no annual fee, although its redemption value for travel is disappointing. If you travel frequently, consider a card like the Chase Ink Business PreferredSM, which offers three points per dollar on travel expenses and fantastic redemption rate of 1.25 cents per point.
Who the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card Is Right For
The U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card is best for business owners whose spending matches one of the three bonus categories. Choose this card, for example, if you spend heavily on shipping, advertising, or office supplies — but don’t have much travel spending. If you have cross-category spending, consider a card like the Chase Ink Business Preferred, which offers both bonus office supply and travel rewards.
U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card Costs
This U.S. Bank business credit card comes with an introductory 0% APR for nine billing cycles on purchases. The ongoing APR for this card is outstanding, less than one percentage point higher than what Bank of America Business Advantage Cash Rewards Mastercard charges.
Financing costs and fees on the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card include:
- Introductory APR: 0% APR on purchases for the first nine billing cycles
- Ongoing APR: 11.99% to 22.99%, which adjusts with the prime rate
- Annual fee: None
- Balance transfer fee: $5 or 3% of the amount transferred, whichever is higher
- Foreign transaction fee: 2% of each foreign purchase transaction
- Cash advance fee: $10 or 5% of the amount of the advance
- Late payment fee: $19 on balances up to $100; $29 on balances between $100 and $250; $39 of balances above $250
- Returned payment fee: $35
- Penalty APR: 29.99%, which may be applied if you make payments five calendar days late twice or 30 calendar days late once, make a payment that is returned, or exceed your credit limit twice in 12 consecutive months
The penalty APR will apply until you make six consecutive on-time payments and do not exceed your credit limit. Some credit cards will hold you at the penalty APR indefinitely. If you need to transfer a balance or need a longer interest-free period on purchases, choose a card like the American Express Blue BusinessSM Plus, which offers a 0% introductory APR on both purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.
How to Avoid Paying Interest on the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card
Your payment due date is 24 to 30 days after the close of the business cycle — when you receive your bill. Pay your balance in full by the due date to avoid interest charges. If you are charged interest, you’ll pay no less than $2. The due date is potentially longer than other cards offer, including the minimum 20 days Chase Ink Business Preferred says it will give its cardholders.
U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card Rewards
The U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card offers introductory rewards worth $200 when used on airfare, hotel stays, or car rentals. Earn ongoing bonus U.S. bank credit card rewards for business from one of three categories that you choose — day-to-day expenses, automotive, or travel and entertainment.
You’ll earn 20,000 points when you spend $1,000 within the first 90 days of card ownership.
These points are worth $200 when redeemed for cash back. That’s identical to the $200 statement credit offered by the Bank of America Business Advantage Cash Rewards Mastercard but significantly less than Chase Ink Business CashSM offer — $500 cash when you spend $3,000 within three months.
You’ll earn the following ongoing U.S bank credit card rewards for business:
- Three points per dollar in one of three categories that you choose: day-to-day expenses, automotive, or travel and entertainment
- One point on all other purchases
U.S. Bank offers examples of what types of spending fall into the three categories. Day-to-day expenses include shipping, advertising, utilities, office supplies, telecommunications, and professional services. Automotive expenses include gas, service, tires, tolls, dealerships, car washes, and repairs. Travel and entertainment expenses include airlines, auto rental, hotels, restaurants, and travel agencies.
In each of these categories, other small business credit cards offer higher returns. The Chase Ink Business Preferred pays three points per dollar on travel, but its points are worth 1.25 cents vs up to 0.9 cents on the U.S. Bank card when redeemed for travel.
U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card won’t pay points for the following purchases:
- Cash advances, cash equivalent advances and cash advances requested through telephone transfers
- ATM transactions
- Traveler’s check purchases or access check or convenience check transactions
- Balance transfers
- Unauthorized account transactions
- Account fees, interest charges, late payment fees, annual fees, overlimit fees, or any related services charges
These restrictions are similar to what you’ll find on other small business credit cards.
How You Can Redeem Your Rewards
There are four primary ways to redeem your points:
- Travel: Redeem for airline tickets on more than 150 airlines with no blackout dates, hotel stays or car rentals
- Cash back: Receive a statement credit or deposit into your U.S. Bank business checking, savings or money market account
- Gift cards: Redeems points for gift cards from hundreds of retailers
- Merchandise: Choose from hundreds of brand name items
You can redeem your points through your online account. Points expire at the end of the calendar quarter that is five years from the date on which they were earned. Most other small business credit cards set no expiration date on U.S. bank credit card rewards for business you earn.
Redemption values for travel redemptions vary but are of lower value than most other points-based credit card rewards programs, which offer redemptions values of 1 cent or more. U.S. Bank says you can redeem 50,000 points for a plane ticket that costs up to $450 for a redemption value of no more than 0.9 cents per point.
U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card Additional Features
This U.S. Bank business credit card offers several free perks as part of this card’s benefits package, including car rental insurance, extended warranty protection, and purchase security, which protects purchases against theft and damage for 90 days. These benefits are all fairly standard on small business credit cards.
U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
When you rent a car using your U.S. Bank card, you’re covered up to the cash value of the vehicle in case of accident or theft on rentals made in the U.S. and most foreign countries. Coverage is secondary if you have personal auto insurance, which means you’ll have to file a claim with your insurance company first. U.S. Bank will reimburse you for your insurance deductible.
The following coverage is included when using your U.S. Bank card:
- Physical damage and theft of the vehicle
- Valid loss of use charges imposed by the vehicle rental company for the period of time the rental vehicle is out of service
- Towing charges to the nearest collision repair facility
Vans, antique vehicles, and exotic vehicles like a Ferrari or Lamborghini will not be covered by this insurance. Most credit cards that include car rental insurance have similar exclusions on their coverage.
Other business travel rewards credit cards like the American Express Business Platinum Card offer primary coverage, meaning you don’t have to file a claim with your personal insurance company.
U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card Purchase Protection
U.S. Bank may repair or reimburse for items purchased with your U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card that are damaged or stolen within 90 days of purchase. Coverage is limited to $500 per claim, up to $50,000 per cardholder.
Purchase protection does not cover certain conditions or types of purchases, including:
- Animals and living plants
- Antiques and collectible items
- Boats, aircraft or automobiles
- Items damaged as a result of weather other than lightning, wind, hail, rain, sleet, or snow
- Items purchased for resale, professional, or commercial use
- Items that are lost or that “mysteriously disappear,” meaning that the item or items vanished in an unexplained manner without evidence of a wrongful act by a person or persons
- Items under the care and control of a common carrier, which includes the United States Postal Service, airplanes, or delivery service
- Items including, but not limited to, jewelry and watches from baggage unless hand-carried and under your personal supervision, or the supervision of a traveling companion whom you know
Business rewards credit cards that offer this coverage typically limit coverage to either 90 or 120 days after purchase. The U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card offers shorter coverage than the Chase Ink Business Preferred, but the same length of coverage as the Capital One Spark Miles card. Exclusions here are common across small business credit cards.
U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card Extended Warranty Protection
U.S. Bank will double the manufacturer’s warranty up to an additional one year from the expiration of warranties of three years or less. An item with a six-month warranty would be backed for an additional six months, for example. The issuer will replace the item or reimburse you up to the amount charged on your U.S. Bank card up to $10,000.
The following purchases are not covered by extended warranty protection:
- Boats, automobiles, aircraft, and any other motorized vehicles
- Items purchased for resale, professional, or commercial use
- Real estate
- Rented or leased items
- Computer software
- Medical equipment
- Used or pre-owned items
The extended warranty protection is similar to other U.S. Bank cards, but weaker than some other small business credit cards offer, including the American Express Business Gold card, which offers one additional year of warranty service on purchases with warranties of five years or less.
U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card Travel and Emergency Services
Visa will provide travel, emergency, medical and legal assistance 24 hours a day to the cardholder, cardholder’s spouse, or dependent child age 22 and younger. Like with most small business credit cards, this is mostly a concierge service. In most cases, the cardholder is responsible for the cost of any assistance. Request help by calling 800-992-6029 in the U.S. or call from a list of toll-free international numbers.
This card covers the following assistance:
- Medical referrals
- Emergency transportation assistance
- Prescription assistance
- Legal referrals
- Emergency ticket replacement
- Lost luggage locator
- Emergency translation services
This is standard help for credit cards that offer travel and emergency assistance. Premium business travel rewards credit cards like the American Express Business Platinum Card may offer a higher level of service. Use the card’s Premium Global Assist Hotline when you fall ill, and the issuer may provide a medical evacuation at no cost to the card member or covered family member.
U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card Account Management Tools
The U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card also comes with a number of spending controls and protections that can help your business manage risk, including a liability waiver program that protects against card theft by terminated employees.
This U.S. Bank credit card includes the following account management tools:
- Visa Payment Controls: Individually customize each employee business credit card, allowing you to manage when, where, and how your employees use their cards
- Visa Liability Waiver: Covers eligible transactions billed or made 75 days prior to or up to 14 days after you terminate an employee
- Spend Analysis Online Reporting: Makes it easier to track and monitor expenses with a chart that shows your spending information at a glance; you can also quickly monitor transactions in your top spending categories
Many small business credit cards offer ways to control employee spending, but the liability waiver is fairly unique to U.S. Bank small business credit cards.
Adding U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card Employee Cards
You may request up to 10 employee cards when you submit your application. Once approved, you can ask for more if you need them. You’ll pay no annual fee for your employee small business credit cards. Even on cards that charge an annual fee on the master account, employee cards are typically free. American Express is the only major card issuer to charge annual fees on employee cards.
What the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card is Missing
By requiring users to pick one three times the points category, the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card makes itself less competitive against cards that offer bonus rewards across categories. The Chase Ink Business Preferred, for example, offers three times the rewards on both travel and shipping costs. U.S. Bank offers three times the rewards on either travel or shipping costs. If you have major expenses across multiple spending categories, this card might not be the most lucrative.
U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card Reviews
U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card reviews are mostly positive. Users say they love the rewards this card offers and the ease with which they can redeem points. Others say the rewards program is too rigid because it makes users choose just one category of spending from which to earn bonus points.
How to Apply for the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card
You can apply online for the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card. To get a business credit card, fill out a basic application containing both business and personal information, and you could be approved instantly. Once you’re approved, you’ll receive your card in the mail within seven to 10 days. If you’re not instantly approved, you can check your application status on U.S. Bank’s website. If you’re rejected, consider a business card for fair credit.
How to Login To Your U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card Account
Login to your U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card account on U.S. Bank’s website by providing your user ID and password. You can also contact customer service for U.S. Bank business cards at 866-485-4545.
Other U.S. Bank Business Credit Cards
U.S. Bank offers a number of small business credit cards designed for different kind of spending needs, including travel rewards and cash back. Find the card that best rewards your business’ spending.
The other U.S. Bank business credit cards include the:
- U.S. Bank Business Leverage Visa Signature Card: This card is best for business owners whose spending changes from month to month; you’ll earn two times the points per dollar spent on eligible net purchases in the top two categories out of 48 where you spend the most each month
- U.S. Bank FlexPerks Business Travel Rewards: This card is best for owners who have moderate travel budgets and can spend $24,000 annually on the card — the threshold at which your annual fee will be waived; you’ll earn two times the points on whichever category you spend the most on in a given month among airlines, gas stations or office supply stores; you’ll also earn two times the points on cell phone service and on charitable donations
- U.S. Bank Business Cash Rewards World Elite Mastercard: This card is best for owners who want to earn an annual reward bonus; you’ll earn a 25% annual bonus based on your prior year’s rewards, up to $250; this card pays 3% cash back on eligible cellular, gas, and office supply store purchases
- U.S. Bank Business Platinum Card: This card is best for businesses that want cheap introductory and ongoing financing; the card comes with 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 20 billing cycles and an ongoing APR as low as 9.99%
Alternatives to the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card
Some small business credit cards may offer bonus category rewards better suited to your business. If your business has more predictable spending needs across one or more spending categories, you may want to consider a different rewards credit card.