Wave is a free online accounting, bookkeeping, and invoicing software. For additional fees, you can also accept online payments and run payroll for your employees. We compiled Wave reviews from our own website plus user reviews from around the web and determined that Wave has generally positive ratings. We also compared the most popular pricing options for small business owners.
Looking for a more robust software that can grow with your business? Read our Wave alternatives guide.
Summary of Wave Reviews
What Wave does well:
Users who gave Wave a positive review are happy that Wave is a fully-featured accounting software that they can use for free. They like that it allows them to send invoices, scan receipts, and use the accounting software at no cost.
What Wave does not do well:
The biggest complaint users had with Wave is that they felt the company had unprofessional and slow customer service. Users mentioned that if you want anything besides slow email support, you’d have to pay $19 per month just to get phone and chat support.
Most Helpful Positive User Review
“I love this product. Being a small cleaning business, much of my accounting and administrative work is done by my fiance, while I’m out in the field. I could tell she was frustrated with the other software we were using. She found Wave and nearly cried, she was that happy.
A couple points about Wave she loves:
- It’s web-based, meaning we can access our account anywhere, not just our office.
- Every aspect a small business needs is free. Small businesses don’t need all the bells and whistles of software that will run you hundreds of dollars a year.
- Creating an invoice is incredibly fast and easy, and most of the work is done by the computer. You don’t need to be an accountant to work your way around Wave.
- The charts/graphs and reports that you can generate through Wave are fascinating to analyze. We know exactly how much to take out in taxes, and we know the status of every single open invoice.
- We don’t need other programs to generate estimates or contact lists. Wave is so much more than just an accounting application. It packs a mean punch and definitely delivers. I don’t anticipate us switching to another program any time soon.”
— Bryan Korsakoff
Most Helpful Negative User Review
“One sad truth about this company that you’ll notice right away is that their servers or hosting is worse than my blog was in 1980. It is slow, freezes and crashes all the time. Way too annoying to work with on a daily basis for a professional company. Bottom line: the system is unreliable.
Moving along to the stuff that matters even more.
Customer service, honesty and professionalism. Uum, try again. You will not find any of that in this company. It seems like it being ran by a family in their mid 50’s and higher. They clearly have no clue what it means to run a professional service.”
— Nate Mandel
Wave’s accounting services are absolutely free. Free offerings include services for invoicing, accounting and receipt scanning. Extra packages for chat support and phone/live chat support costs $9 and $19 per month, respectively. Its credit card processing services are transaction-based (2.9% + 30¢ per transaction) and its payroll has a base fee of $15 (plus $4/employee).
|Credit Card Processing|
- Connect banks and credit cards
- Tax services
- Encrypted bank data connections
- Double-entry accounting
- Automatic reports
- Instant collaboration
- Built-in invoicing and payroll
- Receipt scanning
- Run multiple businesses in one account
- Export reports
- And more
When choosing an accounting software, it’s important that the software integrates with other applications your business is currently using. Here is a list of some of Wave’s popular integrations.