Editor’s note: This is a recurring post with regularly updated card details.
When you open store-branded fuel cards with your preferred gas station like Shell or Chevron, you’ll only be able to earn rewards when you fill up your tank. But when you choose one of the best business gas cards on our list, you also may earn rewards when making purchases in other spending categories like office supplies. You’ll be able to issue employee cards to help monitor spending within your business fleet as well.
The best business gas cards are:
- U.S. Bank Business Cash Rewards World Elite™ Mastercard®: Best overall for 3% back on gas purchases & 0% APR for 12 billing cycles
- Bank of America® Business Advantage Cash Rewards Mastercard®: Best for earning higher gas rewards through a relationship rewards program
- American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card: Best for top fixed-rate returns
- Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card: Best for pocketing 4% cash back on gas purchases as a Costco member
- Wells Fargo Business Secured Credit Card: Best business gas card for bad credit
U.S. Bank Business Cash Rewards World Elite™ Mastercard®: Overall Best Business Gas Card
U.S. Bank Business Cash Rewards World Elite™ Mastercard®
0% APR for 12 Billing Cycles
- Limited Time Offer: Earn $500 cash back after spending $3,000 in the first 90 days of opening your account
- Earn up to 3% cash back on eligible gas station, office supply store and cell phone/service provider net purchases.
- 1% cash back on all other eligible net purchases.
- 1% cash back on other eligible net purchases
- No limit on total cash back earned.
- Rewards never expire.
- 25% annual bonus based on your prior year's cash rewards, up to $250.
- 0% Intro APR* on balance transfers for 12 billing cycles. After that, a variable APR currently 13.99% - 22.99%.
- No annual fee*
- Great Offer from U.S. Bank, a 2021 World's Most Ethical Company® - Ethisphere Institute, February 2021
- A 0% APR period on purchases on balance transfers
- 25% annual cash rewards bonus
- Small introductory bonus offer
- Balance transfer fee
- MasterRental car rental collision damage waiver: When you rent a car using your U.S. Bank credit card, you’re covered in case of accident or theft on all rentals made worldwide. Coverage is primary, which means you won’t need to use your personal auto insurance or accept the insurance offered by the rental agency. Coverage is capped at $50,000.
- Purchase assurance: U.S. Bank may repair or reimburse for items purchased with your U.S. Bank business credit card that are damaged or stolen within 90 days of purchase. Coverage is limited to $1,000 per loss, up to $25,000 per year per account. Lost items and items left out of reach that others can see are not covered.
- Extended warranty protection: U.S. Bank will double the manufacturer’s warranty up to an additional one year from the expiration of warranties of five years or less. An item with a six-month warranty would be backed for an additional six months, for example. The issuer will replace the item or reimburse you up to the amount charged on your U.S. Bank card up to $10,000.
Why we like it: This U.S. Bank business credit card offers an unbeatable mix of gas rewards and cheap introductory financing, making it the best gas card for small businesses. You’ll earn 3% cash back on single fill-ups of up to $200. Beyond the gas rewards, you also can earn 3% at office supply stores and with cellphone providers.
While the at-the-pump rewards make this an excellent gas card for businesses, its introductory 0% APR period makes it even more valuable. You’ll be able to finance purchases or balance transfers for 12 billing cycles without paying interest. This offer also makes it one of the best small business credit cards.
Unlike other cards on our list, you can earn two cash-based bonuses. You’ll also earn $500 cash back after spending $3,000 in the first 90 days of opening your account. Once you hit the $500 mark, you will revert to the normal rewards structure. You’ll also earn an annual bonus of up to $250 based on your prior year’s rewards.
Bank of America® Business Advantage Cash Rewards Mastercard®: Best for Bonus Relationship Gas Rewards
Bank of America® Business Advantage Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card
Up to 3% cash back in a spending category of your choice
9 billing cycles
- Get a $300 statement credit when you make at least $3,000 in net purchases within 90 days of your account opening - with no annual fee and cash rewards don't expire.
- Earn 3% cash back in the category of your choice, 2% cash back on dining and unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- You'll get 3% and 2% cash back on the first $50,000 in combined choice category/dining purchases each calendar year, 1% thereafter.
- 0% Introductory APR on purchases for your first 9 billing cycles.
- Redeem your cash rewards as a statement credit, check, or have cash deposited into a Bank of America® checking or savings account.
- Get 75% more cash back on every purchase when you're a Preferred Rewards for Business Platinum Honors tier member. That means you will earn 5.25% on your selected choice category, 3.5% on dining and unlimited 1.75% cash back on all other purchases.
- Statement credit introductory bonus offer
- Low ongoing APR
- Highest rewards are capped at $50,000 each year
- Earns top rewards in only one spending category
Bank of American does not disclose details of its additional card features. To find out more about these additional features, review your guide to benefits when you receive your card in the mail.
Why we like it: This card offers a unique bonus rewards program that can boost your return rate well above the other cards on this list. Earn up to 3% cash back in a category of your choice, including fuel purchases. When you enroll in Bank of America’s Preferred Rewards for Business program, you can increase your return to up to 5.25% depending on your balance.
Corporate gas cards that offer bonus rewards like this are perfect for owners who already have an existing relationship with Bank of America. This card also offers an interest-free financing period for purchases, but the intro period length is shorter than our top pick’s financing offer. Consider this cash back business credit card if you have an existing Bank of America relationship.
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card: Best for a High Fixed-rate Return
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
Earning 2% cash back every time you swipe and 0% introductory APR for 12 months
- Earn 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%. Cash back earned is automatically credited to your statement.
- From workflow to inventory to floor plans, your business is constantly changing. That’s why you’ve got the power to spend beyond your credit limit with Expanded Buying Power.
- Just remember, the amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to us and other factors.
- 0.0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable rate, 13.24% - 19.24%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors as determined at the time of account opening.
- No Annual Fee
- Terms Apply
- No interest for 12 months
- Earn consistent 2% cash back rewards on every purchase
- Offers no cash sign-up bonus
- 2% cash back category is capped at $50,000 in annual spending
- Extended warranty protection: American Express provides up to an additional year of coverage on warranties of up to five years. Coverage is limited to $10,000 per occurrence and $50,000 per account each year.
- Purchase protection: The issuer will repair, replace, or reimburse you for an item purchased with the card that was damaged or stolen within 90 days of purchase. Coverage is limited to $1,000 per occurrence and $50,000 per account each year.
- Baggage insurance: If your luggage is damaged or lost when you travel on a common carrier like a plane, trip, ship, or bus, American Express will reimburse you for losses not covered by your own personal insurance.
Why we like it: Applying for this business gas card means you’ll earn the same rewards rate on gas purchases as you will on all other purchases. It pays 2% cash back regardless of your spending category. Plus, if you issue any gas cards to employees, they will also earn that rate, helping you maximize your rewards.
Beyond these fuel rewards, gas cards for businesses like this one can also give you more time to repay your transactions while avoiding interest. While it doesn’t offer the best interest-free financing deal on our list, it’s a close runner up. You’ll benefit from 12 months of no interest on purchases.
This card also offers a unique feature: expanded buying power. You’re able to spend above your limit if you need access to more capital. However, American Express determines the amount you can charge over your limit.
Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card: Best for Costco Members & 4% Cash Back on Gas Spending
Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi
Existing or new Costco members
- 4% Cash back on eligible gas worldwide, including gas at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter
- 3% Cash back on restaurant and eligible travel purchases worldwide
- 2% Cash back on all other purchases from Costco and Costco.com
- 1% Cash back on all other purchases
- Top gas rewards at Costco stations
- No annual fee
- Rewards must be redeemed at a Costco location
- No introductory rewards
- Car rental insurance: Offers primary coverage, which means you won’t need to use your personal auto insurance or accept insurance offered by the rental agency. Coverage is limited to $50,000.
- Purchase protection: The issuer may repair or reimburse for items purchased with your business Costco card ― or your reward certificate ― that are damaged or stolen within 120 days of purchase or 90 days for New York residents.
Why we like it: People who frequently drive for work and are Costco members will find this gas card for business use extremely convenient. It pays 4% cash back at participating gas stations worldwide, including at Costco. Not only can you earn rewards on Costco gas, but you can also pocket 2% cash back on all other purchases from Costco and Costco.com. This rewards program makes it the best option for Costco members on this list.
Outside of gas rewards, this small business gas credit card doesn’t offer much value. Although it charges no annual fee, Costco business memberships start at $60 per year. Be sure your reward earnings can offset the annual fee to get the most value from the card.
Wells Fargo Business Secured Credit Card: Best for Bad Credit
Wells Fargo Business Elite SignatureCard®
Businesses with over $1 million in annual sales
- Get a one-time $1,000 cash back bonus or 100,000 bonus points when you enroll in the Business Elite Card Rewards Program and spend $15,000 in the first three months of account open date; $75 annual rewards program fee waived for the first year
- Earn 1.5% cash back on every $1 spent
- No foreign transaction fee
- Up to 200 employee cards
- Bill payment options
- Online Business reporting tool
- $0 additional card fee
- A large introductory bonus offer
- Low ongoing APR
- Up to 200 free employee cards
- Low ongoing rewards
- Offers no bonus category rewards
- Cannot apply online
- Spending controls: Set transaction limits, time limits, and spending category restrictions on any employee card.
- Business Elite Online Reporting: Convenientiently Review and track business analytics and spending habits.
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver: Receive coverage for stolen or damaged rental vehicles, when you waive the rental car merchant’s insurance, up to the cash value of the vehicle.
- Purchase Security: Get items repaired or replaced that were damaged or stolen within 90 days of purchase, or get reimbursed for the value of the item, up to $10,00 per claim and $50,000 per year.
- Extended Warranty Protection: Visa will double the length of warranty protection offered by the manufacturer, up to one year, for warranties three years or less.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance: The cardholders, their spouse, and dependents get free access to emergency, medical, travel, and legal assistance 24 hours a day.
Why we like it: The Wells Fargo Business Secured Credit Card is among the best business gas cards because it has fewer qualification requirements than most other gas cards. This card also gives you the option to choose between those two types of rewards. Businesses with little-to-no credit history will have a shot at rebuilding their business credit while earning 1.5% cash back or 1 point per dollar on gas purchases.
Business secured credit cards have credit limits that equal the cash deposit held in a collateral account. You can access limits of $500 to $25,000, depending on your deposit. Secured cards require you have this cash on hand, while traditional business gas cards let you borrow money from the issuer. Choose this card if your personal credit score is below 570 but you still want to cash in on gas purchases.
Gas Cards for Business vs Fuel Cards
Most major credit card companies offer business gas cards, but fuel cards partner with a specific gas station, such as the Shell Small Business Fuel Card. While fuel cards typically only offer rewards at their respective stations, traditional business gas cards let you earn rewards at any station and on other business-related expenses. Both options allow employee cards so that you can track business spending.
Reasons to Consider Gas Cards for Business
- Earn gas rewards at any station: Most branded gas cards, or fuel cards, only pay rewards when you pump at their company’s station. However, small business gas credit cards let you earn rewards on gas regardless of where you pump your fuel.
- Get money back on other business transactions: You’ll be able to pocket rewards on spending outside of gas stations, including categories like office supplies and telecommunication services.
- Issue employee gas cards: Much like a fuel or fleet card, company gas cards allow you to issue additional employee cards. This lets you track, monitor, and control their spending from an online dashboard to ensure your business fleet is spending its money efficiently.
How We Evaluated Gas Cards for Business
When looking for cards for this list, we considered each card’s rewards program and any additional business features, including cheap introductory financing, availability of employee cards, and reward bonuses. However, we prioritized the return-rate for gas purchases specifically and ranked each card accordingly.
Business gas cards can not only help you save money at the pump but also when you’re making everyday business purchases. The best option pays a high return rate on fuel purchases while offering rewards in categories where your business spends the most each month.