If you need low-cost business checking solutions, Ameris Bank is a good choice. It offers three checking account tiers for small businesses: a basic account, an interest-earning account, and a premium account. You can also open a nonprofit account or analyzed checking account if you have more specialized business checking needs.
The best account for small businesses is Ameris Bank’s basic checking account, Business Checking, which charges no monthly fee and offers 200 fee-free transactions per month. You also get a free Visa debit card and free access to online and mobile banking services.
- Three business checking account tiers, plus analyzed and nonprofit checking
- Free Visa debit card
- Online banking with bill pay and wire origination
- Mobile banking
- Email and text alerts
- Savings accounts, money market accounts, certificates of deposit (CDs), lending products, credit cards, and treasury services also available
How Ameris Bank Stacks Up With Its Competitors
Monthly Transaction Limit Before Fees
Minimum Opening Deposit Requirement
200, then $0.25 per item
150, then $0.50
Silver Business Checking
125, then $0.50 per item
When Ameris Bank Is a Good Fit
- You want to bank without a monthly fee: Ameris Bank’s Business Checking account charges no monthly fee.
- You have a low to moderate transaction volume: Business Checking clients get 200 free items per month, which includes debits, credits, and deposited items. After the limit, you only have to pay an excess transaction fee of $0.25 per item.
- You are content with using eStatements over paper statements: Ameris Bank business accounts typically provide a $2 discount on monthly fees when you enroll in eStatements.
When to Choose an Alternative
- You need a bank with a greater branch presence: Ameris Bank only operates brick-and-mortar stores in AL, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, TN, and VA. If you want the freedom to bank from anywhere in mainland US, consider Chase, which has around 4,800 branches across all 48 lower states. Our review of Chase business checking can help you choose an account that suits your needs.
- You want to earn interest on a fee-free checking account: The Ameris Bank Business Interest Checking account charges a $10 monthly fee. Meanwhile, Bluevine charges no monthly fee and pays 2.0% APY on balances of $250,000 and less. Read our Bluevine business checking review to learn more about how to qualify for the APY.
- You seek affordable wire transfers: Ameris Bank’s outgoing wire transfers cost $20–$50, while incoming wire transfers cost $20. If you make wire transfers regularly, a good alternative would be the financial technology (fintech) solution Mercury, which charges zero wire transfer fees. Learn more about the provider by reading our review of Mercury business checking.
If your small business meets one or more of these scenarios, check out our guide to the best small business checking accounts for additional recommendations.
Ameris Bank Business Checking Overview
Ameris Bank Business Checking Requirements
You are required to contact the bank and visit a branch to open a business account. Specific Ameris Bank business checking requirements have not been listed on the website. For easy reference, use the downloadable document checklist provided in our article on how to open a business bank account.
Ameris Bank Business Checking Features
Visa Debit Card
Your business checking account comes with a free Visa business debit card. It can be used for free at Ameris Bank ATMs, and for a $3 fee at non-network ATMs. Third-party operator fees may apply.
Business Checking accounts come with free access to online banking, which provides the following tools:
- Customizable activity and summary reports
- Peer to peer account transfers
- Online bill pay
- Online documents and eStatements
- Wire origination
Ameris Bank is available on iOS and Android. Through the mobile app, you can:
- View balances and transactions
- Transfer cash between accounts
- Manage bill payments
- Deposit checks remotely
- Find branches and ATMs
- Manage cards
The app has a rating of 4.8 on the App Store (based on 29,000+ reviews) and 3.9 on Google Play (based on 5,000+ reviews). However, the majority of recent reviews are negative.
While old reviews highlight that the app was once easy to use, many newer reviews have complaints that Ameris Bank made logging in difficult. The app fails to save user data, forcing users to re-authenticate their accounts whenever they log in. Additionally, customers complained that biometric logins often failed to work.
Email and Text Alerts
If you sign up for email or text alerts, you can get notifications for the following:
- Balance fluctuation
- Returned Checks
- Incoming and outgoing transactions
- Completed and/or failed transactions
- Check number processed
- Deposits made
Other Ameris Bank Business Products
Aside from basic business checking accounts, Ameris Bank also offers analyzed checking and nonprofit checking.
- Business Relationship Checking is an analyzed checking account designed for businesses making more than $600 transactions per month. It uses your average monthly balance to offset monthly fees.
- Nonprofit Checking serves nonprofit organizations and provides 100 free transactions for a monthly fee of $2. You can waive the monthly fee with a daily balance of $500 or an average daily balance of $500.
There are three types of Ameris Bank savings products:
- The Business Savings Account has a $100 opening deposit requirement. It also has a $500 minimum balance requirement to earn interest or waive the $11 monthly fee. You get $2 off on your monthly fee if you enroll in e-statements. It provides six free debit transactions and charges $5 per item in excess.
- The Business Money Market Account earns competitive interest while providing instant access to your money. Like Business Savings, this account provides six free debit transactions and charges a $10 fee for each transaction after the limit. It has a $2,500 minimum requirement to open an account and earn interest. You can waive the $12 monthly fee by maintaining a daily balance of $1,000 or an average daily balance of $3,000.
- Business CDs have a minimum opening deposit requirement of $1,000. These CDs let you renew automatically at maturity. You also have the option to transfer earnings into other interest-earning Ameris Bank accounts free of charge.
Ameris Bank offers the following types of lending products:
- Commercial Lending
- SBA Loans
- USDA Guaranteed Loans
- Agribusiness Lending
- Equipment Financing
- Municipal Lending
- Premium Financing
- Lines of Credit
- Residential Builder Financing
- Warehouse Participation Funding
- Wholesale Lending
Through Visa, Ameris Bank offers cash back, low APR, and rewards-earning credit cards.
You can use the following treasury services to supplement your banking experience:
- Payables: ACH Services, Online Wire Services, Payroll Services, and Commercial Cards
- Receivables: Lockbox, Merchant Services via Clover, and Remote Business Check Deposit
- Account Management: Zero Balance Accounts, Credit Line Sweep, International Foreign Exchange, IntraFi Network Deposits, and Vault Services
- Fraud Prevention: Positive Pay, Debit Block, Multi-Layer Security, and Debit Card Safety
- Employee Benefits: Employee Checking, Visa Credit Cards, Mortgage Services, and Discounted Personal Loans
Ameris Bank Business Checking Reviews From Users
Customers who left an Ameris Bank business checking review on user review platforms gave primarily negative reviews. On WalletHub, the bank has 3.6 stars (based on 500+ reviews). Only one positive review was published within the last three years. Recurring complaints include:
- Substandard customer service: Clients found Ameris Bank’s staff rude, unhelpful, and difficult to reach.
- Poor handling of fraud cases: Customers who were victims of fraud said that the bank did little to assist them. According to one reviewer, the bank promised to resolve the issue but ultimately failed to reach out or return the reviewer’s calls and emails.
- Outdated technology: Several users expressed dissatisfaction with the bank’s website, app, and ATM machines. Reviews reported that the bank’s website was difficult to navigate and that the app had limited functionality. According to a few reviews, it takes a while for Ameris Bank to repair broken ATMs.
With no monthly fee and 200 free transactions per month, the Ameris Bank Business Checking account is a serviceable low-cost business checking solution. Excess transactions remain affordable as the fee is just $0.25 per item. However, the bank is not the best choice for businesses seeking interest on checking deposits since Business Interest Checking charges a non-waivable monthly fee.
User review references: