This article is part of a larger series on How to Become a Real Estate Agent.
Online education helps aspiring general contractors build a knowledge base, prepare for their state licensing exam, and improve their skills to start a successful contracting career. We reviewed a variety of general contractor schools available nationally and chose the top six based on specific criteria like course format, reviews, and geographic availability.
Based on our research, the top contractor license schools online are:
- @HomePrep: Best for contractors who want to build their career with additional certifications like OSHA training
- Contractor Training Center: Top choice for residential and commercial contractors who want online education with individualized support
- My Contractor’s License: Ideal for aspiring contractors who want an exam prep course with the best pass guarantee and refund policy
- Builders License Training Institute: Best for contractors wanting engaging course format options for prelicensing, continuing education (CE), and professional development
- Contractor School Online: Top choice for aspiring contractors who want access to a la carte, subject-specific practice tests
- The Construction Association: Best for contractors who want industry insights and continual support through a professional membership
Best Online Contractor License Schools at a Glance
Education Provided & Starting Price
Prelicensing/Exam prep: $76.99
Phone or email
Prelicensing/Exam prep: $149.97
Phone or online form
Prelicensing/Exam prep: $89
Prelicensing/Exam Prep: $119
Phone or email
Prelicensing/Exam prep: $87
Phone or email
Professional Development: $0
Phone or online form
If you are deciding between a career as a general contractor and a real estate sales agent, read our guide on How to Become a Real Estate Agent.
@Home Prep: Best for Additional Operational Courses
- CE not offered in every state
- Some courses are expensive
Our Expert Opinion on @HomePrep
@HomePrep is an education provider through Stautzenberger College that offers general contractor courses online. Its courses include prelicensing, exam prep, continuing education, and a range of certification options. It’s the only general contractor school online to offer a prelicensing and exam prep course in every state.
@HomePrep offers many features for students, including financing options, instructor access, and live customer support. However, its standout feature is its wide variety of national and specialty courses for aspiring and current contractors. There are a variety of construction courses to improve specific skills, like “Construction Math” and “Residential Blueprints,” as well as courses for business, design, manufacturing, and OSHA safety. It could be improved by offering in-person courses or CE courses in more states.
- Accreditation: Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC)
- Refund/cancellation policy: Refunds are offered only within 30 days and if less than 10% of the course has been accessed
- Course format variety: Courses are offered through recorded video, audio narration, and live seminars
- Additional resources: In addition to a variety of national courses, there is a fully stocked bookstore as well as application processing services
Although there is a limited number of reviews for @HomePrep Education, the existing reviews are positive, giving the school a great rating of 4.7 out of 5. Students said they highly recommend the online general contractor course because it was easy to follow and included good information on all the required areas: excavation, formwork, concrete, masonry, wood framing, steel structures, roofing, and finishes.
There aren’t any truly unhappy reviews, but students did note that they would like an in-person general contractor license training option. Another student also noted that they would have liked job placement assistance. For a school with more extensive career development, consider Contractor Training Center.
@HomePrep offers prelicensing and exam prep courses in every U.S. state except Pennsylvania, with pricing dependent on the required number of course hours. It also offered state-approved continuing education courses in 35 states.
$76.99 to $2,015.99
$21.99 to $294.99
Contractor Training Center: Best for One-on-one Support
- Personalized coaching and consulting can be expensive
- In-person options only offered in Virginia
- CE only offered in Florida and Georgia
Our Expert Opinion on Contractor Training Center
The Contractor Training Center is an online platform offering online classes for contractors license, including exam prep courses with seminars and practice tests. It also provides state-specific courses for specialties like electricians, mold remediation, and roofing. They are also the only general contractor school to offer courses that don’t require textbooks and to offer unique support options.
The Contractor Training Center offers multiple engaging course format options. The general contractor license online classes are offered through a live webinar with an instructor, in a prerecorded video format, or in a classroom. Students can purchase a contractor licensing consultation or one-on-one tutoring. These options make The Contractor Training Center ideal for students who want the maximum level of individualized support. It could be improved, however, by offering courses in a larger number of states.
- Accreditation: National Association of State Contractors Licensing Agencies (NASCLA)
- Refund/cancellation policy: For classroom and livestream courses, refunds are offered within 24 hours of purchase, or students can switch to a self-paced course; students are eligible for an online course refund within 14 days
- Additional support: Purchase a licensing consultation, license application review, application processing services, and private tutoring
- Speciality courses: Prelicensing and exam prep courses for both residential and commercial contractors as well as additional specialties
Over 3,500 students positively rated Contractor Training Center, scoring it 4.7 out of 5. Students said that the courses were engaging, the instructors were helpful, and the books were well-organized and easy to understand. One student even mentioned that they tried another school, but it didn’t compare to Contractor Training Center.
A small number of unenthusiastic students commented about some issues with the general contractor course online, like the lack of a chat function and difficulty searching for the right courses. If you’d prefer a more user-friendly online course, check out Builder’s License Training Institute.
Contractor Training Center’s pricing structure is straightforward, and its prelicensing and exam prep courses are extremely affordable compared to many other contractor licensing schools. Although continuing education is only offered in two states, it is affordable and engaging. Additional services, like consulting and tutoring, are offered as a la carte options.
$149.97 to $399
$59.97 to $149
My Contractor’s License: Best for Exam Pass Guarantee
- No continuing education or professional development
- Courses can be expensive
- Only available in 17 states
Our Expert Opinion on My Contractor’s License
My Contractor’s License is an online platform that specializes in exam prep for general contractors. It offers exam prep for residential and commercial contractors, as well as state-specific licenses like the Alabama Home Builder or the Florida NASCLA Commercial Builder license. Courses are offered online and through textbooks, with a range of study materials and support options available.
Because My Contractor’s License specializes in exam prep, it has extremely high pass rates and extensive package options. It is also the only contractor license school online to offer a 110% pass guarantee on your first attempt at taking the exam. This means that if you take the courses as instructed and don’t pass your exam on the first try, you’ll receive a 110% refund for the price of the exam prep course. However, My Contractor’s License only offers courses in 17 states, so it could improve by expanding its exam prep offerings.
- Accreditation: NASCLA
- Refund/cancellation policy: 15-day hassle-free return policy on online courses
- Additional resources: Bookstore offers a wide variety of additional course topics, and many courses include coaching and support
- Engaging course format: Courses include physical and audio components as well as study tools like digital study guides, practice quizzes, and online workshop classes
There are no third-party reviews for My Contractor’s License. However, its website hosts nearly 100 5-star customer reviews. Students said that the practice exams were well organized and highly detailed and that the study tools helped them study and feel fully prepared. Many reviewers noted that they were able to successfully pass their exam on the first try because of this general contractor training online.
Since there is a 110% pass guarantee, there is virtually no risk in trying these courses. However, if you’d prefer to get your contractor’s license online after viewing third-party reviews, consider Contractor Training Center.
My Contractor’s License offers exam prep courses for a variety of general contractor licenses and certifications in 17 states. Each course is priced based on the number of hours and includes study tools, so check each course for details.
$89 to $3,800
Builders License Training Institute: Most Engaging Course Materials
- Exam prep courses only offered in 25 states
- CE only offered in 16 states
Our Expert Opinion on Builders License Training Institute
Builders License Training Institute (BLTI) is an education platform offering general contractor license online courses, including prelicensing, continuing education, and professional development. It also uniquely provides contractor licensing and CE courses in Spanish.
In each general contractor online course from BLTI, there is a range of video and audio components. Many courses also provide preprinted book tabs and even include free bonus video courses, like “Social Media for Contractors.” Builders License Training Institute is ideal for aspiring and current contractors who want the most user-friendly and engaging course options. However, BLTI only offers exam prep in 25 states and CE in 16 states, so there is room for improvement with additional state options.
- Accreditations: Certified Training Institute, Architects Training Institute, Plumbers Training Institute, Real Estate Training Institute, and NASCLA
- Refund/cancellation policy: Online courses are eligible for refunds within seven days of purchase if the course is unused; books may also be returned within seven days
- Additional resources: Private tutoring package and a full bookstore
- Financial aid and scholarships: Discounts and scholarship options for military members and students
Although there are a limited number of online reviews for Builders License Training Institute, it has a good overall rating of 4.2 out of 5. Students said the courses were user-friendly and thorough, and gave them great resources to continually reference. They also noted that they liked the course format options.
A few of the cons mentioned by BLTI students were the long class hours. One student noted that they would have preferred to have more options for the in-person course schedules. If you want the option of in-person courses and engaging course formats, @HomePrep might be a better choice.
Courses from the Builders License Training Institute range widely in price, based on the course hours, included features and tools, and the course format. Make sure to check out the courses needed for your specific state and license.
$119 to $2,762
$19 to $719
Contractor School Online: Best for Subject-specific Practice Tests
- Only three months of course access
- Least extensive customer support options
- No CE or professional development options
Our Expert Opinion on Contractor School Online
Contractor School Online is a course provider to help you earn your general contractor certification online. All its courses are designed to help students prepare for the contractor exam with online practice tests, study guides, and course manuals in 47 states. This general contractor school specializes in offering simple exam prep courses for a variety of state-specific construction licenses.
For example, it provides over 40 different exam prep courses for California contractors, including courses on fencing, masonry, roofing, landscaping, and fire protection. Contractor School Online is the best choice for aspiring contractors across the U.S. who want affordable, topic-specific practice tests and study guides. However, Contractor School Online could be improved by offering a more extensive number of study tools.
- Refund/cancellation policy: No refunds offered
- Free construction glossary: Easy-to-access glossary with topic-specific terms
- Large topic variety: Over 2,000 online practice tests and manuals
We were unable to find any reviews regarding the courses and practice tests available through Contractor School Online. However, the school’s website indicates the company has over 25 years of experience in the contractor education industry.
Plus, practice tests from Contractor School Online are extremely affordable. However, if you’d prefer to choose a general contractor online course with more customer reviews and study tools, Builders License Training Institute may be a better fit for your needs.
Courses from Contractor School Online are priced individually, based on the number of topics and practice questions included. Overall, pricing is extremely affordable.
$87 to $479
The Construction Association: Best for Ongoing Support & Education
- No prelicensing or exam prep courses
- Professional development courses can be expensive
- Only available in 25 states
Our Expert Opinion on The Construction Association
The Construction Association, or Associated General Contractors (AGC), is the most well-known association within the construction industry. It’s designed to provide support to professionals in the industry with insights, tools, resources, and connections as part of ongoing membership. It offers courses for building contractors, federal and heavy construction, transportation construction, and utility construction.
The Construction Association is an authorized provider of continuing education courses, although they aren’t always offered. It also frequently offers live online courses with additional certifications. Being educated by the most widely recognized construction association is a great way to show your expertise to clients and companies. Overall, AGC is the best choice for ongoing education and industry insights for active general contractors. However, it can be improved with more nationwide access and more budget-friendly prices.
- Accreditations: International Accreditors for Continuing Education and Training (IACET), American Institute of Architects (AIA), and American Institute of Constructors (AIC)
- Refund/cancellation policy: Live online classes are eligible for a refund 14 days or more before the class begins
- Local chapters: Local AGC chapters in all 50 states and Puerto Rico, plus over 150 student chapters at universities
- Professional development: Courses in specific areas like law, environment, economics, risk management, safety and health, taxes, and workforce development
Since the Construction Association is an organization to support contractors, there aren’t any online reviews for courses. However, the cost of membership provides access to a wealth of online resources and in-person networking events. Plus, many resources offered online are free to access. However, for a contractor license school with prelicensing and exam prep in the highest number of states, look at @HomePrep Education.
AGC member dues vary by the local chapter, so find the chapter closest to you through their online directory. As a member, you’ll receive discounted pricing on professional development and certification courses.
Continued Education & Professional Development
$0 to $2,400
How We Evaluated the Top General Contractor Schools
Using an online general contractor school is an effective and convenient way to prepare for the licensing exam, meet continuing education requirements, and build your career with certifications and professional development. To help you choose the best courses, we evaluated online providers based on criteria like course formats, type of education offered, customer reviews, and customer support.
Based on these criteria, we identified @HomePrep as the best overall contractor license school online. It offers prelicensing, exam prep, and continuing education courses with video and audio components. It is also the only general contractor school to offer a price match and pass guarantee. This makes it the best option overall and ideal for professionals who want high-quality education with a satisfaction guarantee.
The criteria we used to evaluate the top online contractor schools include:
25% of Overall Score
Consists of various formatting and learning styles for each course to meet the specific needs of the contractors as well as ease of course accessibility.
20% of Overall Score
The nationwide availability of each level of education, including prelicensing, continuing education courses, and exam prep.
25% of Overall Score
Extending services past licensure, such as coaching, training, and career assistance. Also, whether the provider offers pass or refund guarantees for its courses.
10% of Overall Score
Based on customer feedback for each program, with particular attention given to reviews of the product and popularity of the provider, to certify the course meets user satisfaction.
10% of Overall Score
Expertise in the field and firsthand experience with the providers allow us to evaluate the standout features, value for the money, and ease of use for each school.
10% of Overall Score
We looked into the convenience and attainability of customer service for technical support and instructor assistance.
Note: We did not take pricing into our evaluation since general contractor online courses vary so widely by state and school.