Capital City Bank provides low-cost business checking products designed for businesses with a moderate or high transaction volume. It offers three types of small business checking accounts:
- A $10-per-month basic account with 250 free transactions monthly.
- A $10-per-month interest-earning account that charges 15 cents per item.
- A $12-per-month premium account that provides 500 free transactions per month.
All accounts let you waive monthly fees with easy-to-meet requirements. You also get a free debit card, access to online and mobile banking, and the chance to earn Visa Reward Cards through referral bonuses.
Capital City Bank is a regional bank with more than 50 branches in Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. You are required to visit a branch to open an account.
- Branch visit required for account opening
- Only available in Alabama, Florida, and Georgia
- No fee-free transactions for interest-earning account
- Free Visa debit card
- Online and mobile banking
- Referral bonus
- Analyzed commercial accounts also available
- Savings accounts, money market accounts, business lending, credit cards, and treasury services
How Capital City Bank Stacks Up With Its Competitors
When Capital City Bank Is a Good Fit
- You seek affordable business checking products: Compared to national banks like Chase and Bank of America, Capital City Bank is relatively cheaper. Monthly fees for small business checking accounts are either $10 or $12 and are easily waivable.
- You generate moderate to high monthly transaction volumes: Everyday Checking for Business offers 250 fee-free transactions per month and charges only 25 cents per excess transaction. If you need a larger transaction allowance, Premium Business Checking offers 500 fee-free transactions per month while charging just $12 in monthly fees.
- People in your network use or plan to use Capital City Bank: If an existing Capital City Bank user refers you to the bank, you can complete certain activity requirements and receive a $100 Visa Reward Card. You can also receive a $50 Visa Reward Card by referring a friend. Read our section on Capital City Bank referral bonuses for more details.
When To Choose Capital City Bank Alternatives
- You want a bank with a wider geographic presence: Capital City Bank only has branches in Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. If having nationwide access to in-person banking is a priority, Chase would be the better option. It has 4,800 brick-and-mortar locations across all 48 mainland states. For a breakdown of all three Chase business checking accounts, refer to our review of Chase business checking.
- You seek interest on checking deposits: Business Checking Plus Interest has a $10 monthly fee and offers zero fee-free transactions, making it a cost-inefficient choice for businesses that want to grow their checking balances. Bluevine would be a better alternative since it charges no fees for monthly maintenance or day-to-day transactions. You can earn 2.0% annual percentage yield (APY) on balances of $250,000 and less if you meet Bluevine’s monthly activity requirements. Read our Bluevine business checking review to learn more.
- You make international wire transfers frequently: At Capital City Bank, the fee for outgoing international wire transfers is $75. If you need access to affordable international wire transfer services, consider the financial technology solution Mercury. Its business account charges zero wire transfer fees. Our review of Mercury business checking tells you more about the provider.
If your small business meets one or more of these scenarios, check out our guide to the best small business checking accounts for additional recommendations.
Capital City Bank Business Checking Overview
Capital City Bank Business Checking Requirements
Business checking applicants are required to provide their employer identification number (EIN). The website does not have an official list of Capital City Bank business checking requirements; however, you may be asked to submit documents relevant to your business entity type.
For a checklist of typical business banking application requirements, refer to our article on how to open a business bank account.
Capital City Bank Business Checking Features
Visa Debit Card
Your Capital City Bank business checking account comes with a free business Visa debit card, which can be used anywhere Visa as accepted. It also comes with purchase alerts. To protect your card, you can activate email or text alerts for activities of your choice, such as exceeding purchase limits, making online or phone purchases, or making international purchases.
With Capital City Bank desktop banking, you can do the following:
- Customize account names
- View transaction history
- Manage bill payments
- Set up recurring transfers
- Transfer money through Zelle
- Transfer money to other Capital City Bank accounts
- Request stop payments
- Send and receive secure messages to Capital City Bankers
- Set up alerts for balance levels, completed payments, monthly statements, and more
- Find branch offices and ATMs
- Make automated clearing house (ACH) payments
- Send domestic or international wire transfers
- Enhance account security through positive pay
- Export account history
Most online banking features (except positive pay and information reporting) are also available on the Capital City Bank mobile app, which can be downloaded on both iOS and Android. You can also use the app to deposit checks remotely.
The app has a rating of 4.6 on both the App Store (based on more than 2,600 reviews) and Google Play (based on 2,100-plus reviews). Although a handful of users said they found the app glitchy, most reviewers experienced no issues and found the app easy to navigate and use.
Capital City Bank clients can refer new applicants and receive a Visa Reward Card worth $50. The referred applicant will also receive a Visa Reward Card worth $100. For the bonus to apply, the applicant must complete the following steps within 60 days of account opening:
- Make at least 10 non-ATM debit card transactions
- Complete at least $500 in cumulative deposits
Other Capital City Bank Business Products
If you have a higher monthly transaction volume, you can upgrade to Commercial Business Checking. The account charges a $15 monthly fee and a $0.15-per-item transaction fee, which can both be waived with earnings credit.
Like all Capital City Bank business checking accounts, Commercial Business Checking offers $10,000 worth of free coin and currency deposits. Transactions after the limit cost $1.50 per $1,000.
There are three types of Capital City Bank business savings products:
- Everyday Savings for Business charges a monthly fee of $3. It has a minimum balance requirement of $200 to earn interest and waive the monthly fee. It offers tiered interest rates and has a minimum opening deposit requirement of $50.
- Business Money Market has a minimum requirement of $4,000 to open an account and waive the $15 monthly fee.
- Premium Money Market for Business offers tiered high-yield interest rates. The account comes with free money orders, notary services, and custom checks. It has a $25,000 minimum opening deposit and daily balance requirement. If your balance falls below the threshold, Capital City Bank will convert your account into a Business Money Market account.
Capital City Bank offers the following types of business lending products:
- Owner-occupied loans
- Term loans
- Lines of credit
- Equipment financing
- Commercial real estate (CRE) loans
- Asset-based lending
- Receivables financing
- Construction loans
Credit cards at Capital City Bank are powered by Visa. You can choose among cash back, rewards-earning, and low annual percentage rate (APR) credit cards.
Capital City Bank offers the following types of treasury management services:
- Collections: Remote check deposit, lockbox, and cash vault
- Disbursements: Payroll cards and vendor pay
- Investments: Zero balance accounts, sweep accounts, and commercial interest-bearing accounts
- Information reporting: Certificate of deposit (CD) imaging, deposit reporting, reconciliation services, and Bank Administration Institute (BAI) reporting
- Fraud prevention: Positive pay account and ACH fraud control
Capital City Bank Business Checking Reviews From Users
Very few customers have left a Capital City Bank business checking review on third-party review platforms. While the bank has a rating of 4.1 stars on WalletHub (based on 140-plus reviews), the majority of recent reviews discussed the bank’s lending products rather than its business checking accounts. Due to the limited sample size, it is difficult to draw concrete conclusions about user satisfaction.
If your business operates in Alabama, Florida, or Georgia, Capital City Bank is a great choice. The bank’s greatest strength is its ability to provide great value at a low cost. Its small business checking accounts provide generous transaction allowances while charging lower monthly fees than national banks.