This article is part of a larger series on Business Banking.
The business checking account of NBKC Bank is designed for small business owners looking to save more on fees and needing to process unlimited transactions. It has no account opening fees, no minimum balance to maintain, and no fees for incoming domestic wires. You can also deposit your checks in person or via the phone, tablet, or desktop app for free.
How NBKC Bank Stacks Up With Its Competitors
Annual Percentage Yield (APY)
Cash Deposit Fee
Minimum Opening Deposit
Free at 34,000+ MoneyPass ATMs
Refunds ATM fees up to $12 per month
Silver Business Checking
Up to $2,500 in free cash deposits, then 30 cents/$100/statement cycle
Free for U.S. Bank ATMs; no surcharges at MoneyPass network ATMs
Spark Business Basic Checking
Up to $ 5,000, $1 fee for every $1,000 thereafter for Basic account
None; $2 for non-network & international ATMs
When NBKC Bank Is a Good Fit
- You want to save on monthly fees and perform unlimited transactions: NBKC Bank doesn’t require a minimum opening deposit or a maintaining balance and doesn’t charge monthly service fees or incoming domestic wires. There are also no transaction limits when you deposit cash or checks or perform fund transfers.
- You want to grow your business funds by opening other bank products: It offers business owners money market accounts and CDs with competitive interest rates.
- You want more flexibility with business account add-ons: NBKC Bank offers business solutions such as ACH credits and debits, desktop deposits, and business fraud tools priced individually to fit your banking needs and budget.
- You want to save on cash deposit fees: You can deposit at more than 34,000 MoneyPass ATMs for free and receive a reimbursement of up to $12 per month if you transact in a nonnetwork ATM.
- You need financing options to grow your business: The bank extends lending to existing small online businesses. You can obtain a quick release of $25,000 to $75,000 funds at low rates.
When NBKC Bank Is Not a Good Fit
NBKC Bank has an excellent fee-free business checking account, but consider alternatives in the following scenarios:
- You want to earn interest from your business checking account: NBKC doesn’t offer APY for its business checking product. Some options that offer high-interest yields for qualified balances are Bluevine and Axos Bank.
- You need branch services and you’re based outside Kansas and Missouri: It has only five brick-and-mortar branches located in those two states. Chase, Wells Fargo, and Bank of America each have a huge branch presence all over the country.
- You’re a freelancer needing bookkeeping software: With NBKC, there’s a fee of $10 a month for using Autobooks. Found provides its own bookkeeping software for free.
- You receive a lot of international wires: NBKC charges $45 for incoming international wire transfers, while Capital One charges only $15.
NBKC Bank Business Checking Overview
NBKC Bank Business Checking Requirements
You can visit the NBKC Bank website to open a business checking account. To be eligible, you need to be a US citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years of age with a valid Social Security number or tax identification number (TIN). Foreign businesses aren’t allowed to open an account.
You’ll be required to provide your name, address, date of birth, and other basic details, including your business information, a government-issued ID, and legal business documents.
Before you open an account, see our guide on how to open a business bank account. We included a free downloadable checklist of required documents.
NBKC Bank Business Checking Features
NBKC Bank’s business checking account has no monthly fees, provides a free business debit Mastercard, offers free incoming domestic wire fees, and gives you access to multiple lending products.
NBKC helps business owners save more with the following:
- $0 minimum deposit, $0 minimum balance, and $0 for a debit Mastercard
- $0 for returned electronic or paper items, $0 for overdrafts or nonsufficient funds (NSFs)
- $0 for Business Online Banking, $0 for Bill Pay on your phone, tablet, and desktop
- $0 to deposit checks at a branch and via the NBKC app on your phone or tablet
- $0 e-statements, $0 for stop payments, whether in-branch or online
- $0 for incoming domestic wires and $0 for the first five outgoing domestic wires
Fee-free Cash & Check Deposits Using MoneyPass
There are no ATM fees when you deposit cash or checks at 34,000-plus MoneyPass ATMs. You’ll also be reimbursed up to $12 per month for fees charged at other ATMs.
NBKC Mobile App
You can download NBKC Bank’s mobile banking app via the App Store and Google Play. Both have good reviews: 4.4 stars on the App Store with more than 400 ratings and 4 out of 5 stars on Google Play with more than 400 ratings.
Reviewers find the app user-friendly and the layout easy to navigate. One drawback mentioned is an issue with mobile check deposit image capturing.
Other Banking Products & Services
NBKC Bank has a full suite of banking products and services for small businesses. It covers business money markets, CDs, commercial lending, business solutions, and credit cards.
- Business money market: With no minimum deposit requirement, you’ll earn 0.20% on all balances. To earn APY, you need to maintain a 1-cent balance.
- Business CDs: For a minimum account opening deposit of $1,000, you can earn 0.10% to 0.30% with terms ranging from 14 days to five years.
- Lending: Online small business and Small Business Administration (SBA) loans are available for small business owners looking to scale. Other commercial lending options are a business line of credit plus equipment, commercial, real estate, and construction loans.
- Credit cards: NBKC bank offers business cards with different rewards from cash back on business purchases to low interest and unlimited points.
With Autobooks, you can create professional invoices and send them directly to your customers’ emails. It also allows customers to pay with their debit or credit card, or through an online bank transfer straight into your NBKC business checking account. You can monitor the payment activity easily and access detailed balance sheets or general ledger reports. It’s free for the first 60 days and costs $10 per month after that.
NBKC Bank allows you to customize your business account according to your needs. You can sign up for monthly or yearly account add-on services, such as ACH credits and debits, desktop deposits, business fraud tools, and extended archives. Sweep solutions are also available with their own monthly or yearly fees.
NBKC Bank Business Checking Pros & Cons
|Has no monthly fees||Has no limited brick-and-mortar branches|
|Offers ATM fee reimbursements up to $12 per month||Lacks APY|
|Provides money market, lending, CDs, and credit cards||Has no welcome bonus|
NBKC’s business checking is an excellent choice since it doesn’t charge monthly fees and offers unlimited transactions. You’re also given ATM fee reimbursements up to $12 per month if you use a nonnetwork ATM. However, the business checking account doesn’t earn any APY, but you can open a money market account or a CD to benefit from competitive interest rates.
The bank has limited branches and is only found in Kansas and Missouri. If you don’t need to visit a branch frequently, you can choose to bank online. For cash and check deposits, you can use 34,000-plus MoneyPass ATMs for free.
Alternatives to NBKC Bank Business Checking
NBKC Bank offers a fee-free business checking account. If you want a traditional bank with more physical locations, prefer to open an interest-bearing checking account, or don’t want to pay extra for your monthly accounting software, check out these other banks:
- Bluevine: Best for business owners who want to generate a higher interest for their business checking accounts. Bluevine offers 2.0% APY.
- Chase Bank: Best for businesses seeking to open an account in a traditional bank. Chase Bank has more than 4,800 branches in 48 states, making it highly accessible.
- Found: Best for freelancers looking for bookkeeping software and tax planning tools to streamline their business operations. The found offers these for free.
See more options in our roundup of the best small business checking accounts.
The business checking product of NBKC Bank is a great choice for business owners and freelancers who prioritize gaining savings from zero monthly fees. Most banks set cash and check deposit limits and charge for excess transactions while NBKC bank offers business owners unlimited transactions for free. It also extends SBA loans and commercial lending to small online businesses to help them scale.