Citibank is a premier traditional bank offering small business owners three business checking accounts: CitiBusiness® Streamlined Checking, CitiBusiness® Flexible Checking, and CitiBusiness® Interest Checking. All come with a debit card, waivable monthly fees, overdraft protection, online and mobile banking, and a $1 opening deposit requirement. Citibank provides high fee-free monthly cash deposits of up to $5,000 for CitiBusiness® Interest Checking, $10,000 for CitiBusiness® Streamlined Checking, and $20,000 for CitiBusiness® Flexible Checking.
How Citibank Stacks Up With Its Competitors
Monthly Transaction Limit Before Fees
Monthly Cash Deposit Limit Before Fees
Citibusiness® Streamlined Checking
250, then 45 cents per item
Up to $10,000, then 17 cents per $100
California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, South Dakota, Virginia, and Washington D.C.
Business Complete Banking
Unlimited digital transactions;
20 paper transactions, then 40 cents per item
Up to $5,000, then $2.50 per $1,000
All states except Alaska and Hawaii
Business Advantage Fundamentals Banking
200, then 45 cents per item
Up to $7,500, then 30 cents per $100
All states except Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming
When Citibank Is a Good Fit
- Your business has a low monthly transaction volume but requires high cash deposit amounts: Citibank’s CitiBusiness® Streamlined Checking provides up to 250 free monthly transactions and free cash deposits of up to $10,000 per month.
- You want to avoid overdraft fees: You can enjoy safety from overdraft fees with CitiBusiness® Checking Plus and CitiBusiness® Safety Check. These provide fund transfers to your overdrawn checking account from a line of credit or linked checking, savings, or money market account.
- You want to earn cash back on account opening: New Citibank business checking accounts that meet Citibank’s activity requirements can earn cash back up to $2,000.
When Citibank Is Not a Good Fit
- You operate outside Citibank’s service area: Although Citibank has 700+ brick-and-mortar branches, it operates in only 10 states (California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland. Nevada, New Jersey, New York, South Dakota, and Virginia) and Washington, D.C. Consider Chase for access to physical branches in all 48 mainland states. Our Chase business checking review can provide more information.
- You want to earn a competitive annual percentage yield (APY) on a fee-free account: Citibank charges a $30 monthly fee for its interest-earning accounts. Bluevine charges no monthly fee and earns 2.0% APY on qualifying balances of $250,000 or less, provided you meet its activity requirements. Read our review of Bluevine business checking for more information.
- You rely on wire transfers: Citibank charges high fees for wire transfers. The financial technology (fintech) solution Mercury offers fee-free incoming and outgoing wire transfers. Learn if it fits the bill through our Mercury business checking review.
See more providers in our roundup of the best small business checking accounts.
Citibank Business Checking Overview
Citibank Business Checking Requirements
You can visit any Citibank branch to open a business checking account. Applicants are required to bring one government-issued ID and a business formation document. You must provide information about your business, including business name, taxpayer identification number, transaction activity, and number of employees.
For all individuals associated with the business, the following information is needed:
- Date of birth
- Residential address (required only for owners of 25% or more and one controlling person; documentation to verify this information may be required if third-party verifications are not successful
- Citizenship status
- Country of residence
- Country of citizenship
- Social Security number/individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) or two forms of government-issued IDs for a nonresident alien instead of Social Security number or ITIN
- Percentage of ownership
Associated individuals include:
- Account signers
- Authorized signers
- Owners of business (10 percent or more)
- All owners of a personal investment company or business trust
- Controlling persons (any person with significant responsibility for managing the business, such as president, managing member, general partner, treasurer, CEO, chief financial officer (CFO), or chief operating officer (COO)
Before opening an account, see our guide on how to open a business bank account. It includes a free downloadable checklist of required documents.
Citibank Business Checking Features
Citibank’s business checking accounts offer an optional debit card, online and mobile banking, and overdraft protection.
Citibank business checking accounts come with free debit cards. You can issue additional debit cards to your employees. Cards provide fee-free access to more than 2,300 ATMs in 600-plus Citibank branches and surcharge-free access to more than 60,000 ATMs in the United States, including Citi-branded ATMs in retail stores and ATMs participating in the MoneyPass Network.
Online & Mobile Banking
Citibank® Online allows you to pay bills, view account balances, and send and receive money using Zelle®. With CitiBusiness® Online, you can control multiple user access to the system, use advanced Cash Management services and enhance your online security through token-based system access. You can download the Citi Mobile app from the App Store1 and Google Play2.
Reviews on both iOS and Android apps are excellent—it earned 4.9 out of 5 stars on the App Store with about 3.5 million ratings and 4.7 out of 5 stars on Google Play with nearly 900,000 ratings. Positive feedback from users points to the app’s ease of use and seamless navigation, while a few negative reviews mentioned too many ad promotion pop-ups.
Cash Back Bonus
New business checking account holders can earn cash back by making a qualified deposit of new-to-Citibank funds worth $5,000 or more into their accounts within 30 days of account opening. The larger your deposit, the larger your cash back. The maximum amount you can earn in cash back is $2,000, while the minimum is $200.
New-to-Citibank funds refer to money deposited from non-Citibank accounts or payees. These funds must be deposited via domestic ACH transfer, Direct Deposit, checks drawn on banks other than Citibank, or wire transfer.
CitiBusiness® Checking Plus & CitiBusiness® Safety Check
Citibank offers two options to avoid bounced checks:
- A CitiBusiness® Checking Plus line of credit protects you from overdraft fees through automatic fund transfers (rounded up to the nearest $100) from your credit line to your checking account. Further, you can directly borrow funds from your Checking Plus® line of credit or transfer funds from Checking Plus® to any linked checking, savings, or money market account. Note that this feature is subject to credit approval.
- CitiBusiness® Safety Check provides overdraft protection by moving funds from your Citibank savings or money market account to your checking account when your account is overdrawn. Similar to Checking Plus®, transfers are rounded up to the nearest $100 to cover multiple same-day overdrafts.
To enjoy the CitiBusiness® Safety Check service, you need a checking account and either a linked savings or money market account. Note that only one savings or money market account can be used as the contributing account for Safety Check. For checking accounts that are jointly owned, all owners must authorize the Safety Check coverage.
CitiBusiness® Preferred Programs
Citibank offers customized banking packages where business owners can access Citibank’s best rates, special savings, and high-yield money market rates.
Terms and Features
CitiBusiness® Preferred Banking
CitiBusiness® Preferred Banking Plus
Monthly Program Fees
Average Monthly Balance to Waive Fees
Included Checking Monthly Transactions
Included Monthly Cash Deposits
First five incoming wires free, then $15 per incoming wire
First two online international wires free, then $27 per online international outgoing wire
First two domestic wires free; then $15 per domestic incoming wire and $55 ($17 if online) per domestic outgoing wire
Free incoming wires
First four online international wires free, then $27 per online international outgoing wire
Business Insured Money Market Account
0.10% per annum higher rate vs standard rates
0.10% per annum higher rate vs standard rates
Business Line of Credit or Installment Loan
0.25% per annum discount off the standard rate
0.25% per annum discount off the standard rate
- Citi merchant services: Next-day funding, Clover, Clover rewards, and Clover gift cards
- Cash management: Remote check deposit, CitiBusiness lockbox, ACH, bill pay, and wire transfers
- Payroll and human resources (HR) services: Paychex Flex
- Trade services: Letters of credit and documentary collections
Other Business Checking Accounts
- CitiBusiness® Analyzed Business Checking: This noninterest-bearing account enables large companies to offset banking fees with earnings credit and gain access to a variety of cash management solutions.
- CitiBusiness® Escrow Account: This checking solution was created for law firms and attorneys to manage client funds by linking individual client subaccounts with one master account.
- Interest on Lawyer Trust Accounts (IOLTA)/Interest on Lawyer Accounts (IOLA)/Interest on Trust Accounts (IOTA)/Maryland Affordable Housing Trust (MAHT) Accounts: This regulated interest-bearing escrow account handles short-term client funds.
- Deposit Administrator Account: Suitable for property managers, certified public accountants (CPAs), and business managers of title and real estate companies, this account allows easy management of funds for multiple clients, subsidiaries, or divisions.
- Security Deposit Administrator Account: This account simplifies security deposits, accounting, and tax reporting with no monthly fees.
Other Citibank Business Products
Citibank has a wide variety of banking products available, from business savings, money market, and certificates of deposit, to lending products and credit cards.
- Business Savings: For a minimum opening deposit of $1, you can open an interest-bearing CitiBusiness® Savings Account and waive the $10 monthly fee by maintaining an average of $500 per month.
- Money Market: With a CitiBusiness® Insured Money Market Account (IMMA), you can earn balance-based interest rates. Account balances below $5 million are given Preferred rates for APY, and account balances above $5 million are provided with Standard rates for APY.
- CDs: With a CitiBusiness® CD, you can earn fixed returns with terms ranging from seven days to 10 years.
The following lending products are available:
- Business installment loans
- Business lines of credit
- Healthcare practice financing
- Commercial mortgages
Citibank offers two types of business credit cards:
- The CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard Credit Card lets you earn unlimited mileage points and flight perks. Read our CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard Credit Card review to learn more about the card’s fees and rewards.
- The Costco Anywhere Visa Business Credit Card by Citi provides cash back rewards for cardholders who are Costco members. Learn if its rewards and features fit your needs through our Costco Anywhere Visa Business Credit Card by Citi review.
Citibank Business Checking Reviews From Users
The bank’s rating on WalletHub3 is 3.7 out of 5 stars, based on 31,000-plus reviews. However, the majority of Citibank business checking reviews skew negative. Multiple users reported that the bank closed their accounts for unproven fraudulent charges. Meanwhile, actual victims of fraud said that it failed to provide adequate assistance. Additionally, customers that qualified for bonuses claimed that they never received their promised rewards.
The few positive reviews published tend to focus on individual Citibank staff members from specific branches. Most customers are otherwise dissatisfied with customer service. According to negative reviews, the customer service team is impersonal, slow to respond, and uninformed about the bank’s products.
Citibank offers three outstanding business checking products—each features increasing amounts of free transactions and monthly cash deposit limits. Monthly fees are waivable and accounts require only $1 as a minimum opening deposit. Further, the bank offers CitiBusiness® Checking Plus and CitiBusiness® Safety Check, providing protection from overdraft fees. Offering top-value business checking accounts and a full range of banking products and services, Citibank is a great choice for businesses located near its branches.
User review references: