To earn your Kentucky real estate license, you must complete 96 hours of prelicensing education. Then there are additional post-licensing requirements, continuing education (CE) hours for license renewal, and education to upgrade to a managing broker’s license. Online education providers make it simple to fulfill these requirements, but the best also support different learning environments and offer reasonable pricing that will get you on the fast track to fulfilling your real estate goals quicker than a horse on the Derby track.
We’ve determined the following schools offer agents and aspiring agents the highest-quality education from the comfort of their home in the Bluegrass State:
Real Estate Express
Perry Real Estate College
The CE Shop
Kentucky Real Estate College
(Best overall) Initial licensing education for aspiring new agents
Variety of course formats to choose from for agents seeking initial licensing education
Most affordable real estate education for any stage of your real estate career
Customizable post-licensing and continuing education for agents seeking license renewal
Experienced agents looking to upgrade to a broker’s license
Exam preparation for future agents who are studying for their real estate test
Things you need to know before enrolling for your Kentucky real estate license education: Along with education requirements, there are additional steps to completing your real estate licensure. Check out our Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming a Real Estate Agent in Kentucky to help you get started.
How We Evaluated the Top Real Estate Schools in Kentucky
Becoming a real estate agent in Kentucky has been made easier than ever with the convenience of online real estate schools. To determine the best online schools, we looked for those that provided schedule flexibility, but also provided high-quality, Kentucky Real Estate Commission-approved (KREC) learning opportunities. This meant looking for accessible instructors, interactive features and activities, and customer support, all at a great price. We’ve researched these components as well as others to identify the school providers in Kentucky.
With a score of 4.45 out of 5, we’ve found that Kaplan is the best overall accredited real estate school in Kentucky. Expert faculty, tiered packages, reasonable pricing, and live webinars make Kaplan stand out among its competitors.
We also evaluated the following criteria to get a well-rounded picture of each provider:
30% of Overall Score
Pricing is based on the cost and availability of pre- and post-licensing, continuing education courses, and exam prep for each online institution.
25% of Overall Score
Consist of various formatting and learning styles for each course to meet the specific needs of the agent as well as ease of course accessibility.
20% of Overall Score
Based on customer feedback for each program to certify the course meets user satisfaction, with particular attention given to reviews of the product and popularity of the provider.
15% of Overall Score
Expertise in the field and firsthand experience with the providers allow us to evaluate the standout features, value for the money, and ease of use for each school.
10% of Overall Score
We looked into the convenience and attainability of customer service for technical support and instructor assistance.
Kaplan: Best Overall for Prelicensing Education
Nationally known for high-quality education, Kaplan is our top choice for the best overall online real estate school because of its Kentucky prelicensing education. It offers tiered packages that include extra features to accommodate different learning styles and educational needs. Options to enhance the learning experience, such as exam preparation, live webinars, and intensive accelerated education, are available at an additional price.
Users commended the self-guided learning and cited that the curriculum was informative, while others were disappointed with some of the platform functionality and refund policy. If you’re looking for a school that allows for a refund guarantee, check out Real Estate Express.
Kaplan’s pricing model is unique as it allows for a certain amount of customization to an individual’s learning needs, but in a less complicated manner than its competitors.
Prelicensing: Starting at $399
- Tier 1: $399 Basic package includes 96 prelicensing hours
- Tier 2: $429 Basic package includes 96 prelicensing hours plus exam prep and live webinar
- Tier 3: $629 Career launcher package includes 96 prelicensing hours and includes exam prep, live webinar, and live intensive course
Post-licensing & Continued Education: Starting at $19
- Prices range from $19 to $79 based on credit hours
- Classes available in OnDemand and online formats
Exam Prep for $99
Real Estate Express: Best for Multiple Course Formats
Whether you are a self-starter or need a little extra motivation, Real Estate Express can assist by offering a variety of course formats to suit your educational needs. For those who are self-starters, you can benefit from the online self-paced format. Those who need extra support can either choose from the guided online course or livestream courses.
Also unique are the bundled pre- and post-licensing education packages that will satisfy both your initial education as well as the 48 additional hours required within the first two years of licensure.
Students enjoyed the breakdown of the courses into chapters, along with examples and instructor support. Other individuals did not approve of some questions posed within the curriculum and were not happy with customer service. For extra customer support, look at Perry Real Estate College, which has been commended for its services.
Although the pricing may appear complicated, Real Estate Express differs from the other schools as it gives you not only a choice of packages, but also a choice of individualized courses to choose from.
Prelicensing: Starting at $439
All packages include 96 prelicensing hours, 3 e-books, and instructor support
- “The Basics” package: $439
- “Exam Preparation” package: $498 includes above plus “Pass or Don’t Pay Guarantee” and exam prep
- “Exam Preparation Plus” package: $616 includes the above plus post-license courses, dictionary, and instructor Q&A
- “Ultimate Learning” package: $705 includes the above plus printed textbook and one-year professional development membership
- Livestream Package: $705 includes the same features of the “Exam Preparation” package
Post-licensing: Starting at $19 (can be purchased as bundles or individual courses)
- “Post License Bundle” package: $279 includes 48 hours, instructor support, education concierge, and discussion board
- “Post License Book Bundle” package: $329 includes the above and printed textbook
- Individual courses: Ranges from $19 to $59 based on credit hours
Continued Education: Starting at $19.95*
- CE PLUS membership: $91 includes 24/7 access, all CE courses for Kentucky, OnDemand library, 100+ job aids, and an education specialist
- Individual courses: Classes can be purchased individually from $19.95 to $99
*Offered through its partner company, McKissock Learning
Exam Prep for $99
Pro tip: Start your real estate education today with a special offer for our readers from Real Estate Express. Use promo code FSB25 for 25% off your purchase.
Perry Real Estate College: Most Affordable Real Estate Education
For budget-friendly individuals in the Bluegrass State, Perry Real Estate College is your go-to choice for real estate education. Whether you’re brand-new to the industry or are working toward opening your own brokerage, it has courses for every stage of your career.
A standout feature of Perry Real Estate College, besides its low prices, is the Career Corner. The Career Corner is a great resource for new and experienced agents to gather information on topics from House Flipping 101 and Real Estate Reciprocity to How to Choose a Real Estate Brokerage and Property Management.
Perry Real Estate College got excellent reviews related to customer service, educated instructors, and overall student preparedness when taking their exams. One student noted that the textbooks are printed, which held him back from finishing as efficiently as if the books were digital. For digital options, refer to Real Estate Express or The CE Shop, which have extensive downloadable content.
Unlike many other schools, especially the national competitors, Perry Real Estate College offers only one option for licensing packages.
- Prelicensing: $349
- Post-licensing: $206
- Broker licensing: $399
- Continued education: Starting at $30; prices range from $30 to $45 based on credit hours
- Exam prep: Costs $70; an additional course concentrating on math is available for $29
The CE Shop: Best Customizable Post-licensing & Continuing Education
As part of your first two years of licensure in Kentucky, you’ll be required to complete 48 hours of post-licensing education. In addition, after your first two years of licensure, you’ll be required to complete six hours of CE each year to renew your license. The CE Shop is the perfect place to tackle both of these requirements and customize your education to your interests.
Although the CE Shop’s courses are 100% online, the platform provides an engaging experience for users, complete with interactive activities, practice quizzes, and a student forum to facilitate a live conversation with other participants.
Many cited that the length of the lessons was too long, which made them difficult to get through, and customer service was not up to par. So if you have similar concerns, you can take a look at Perry Real Estate School or Kaplan. Otherwise, The CE Shop was applauded for its curriculum, ease, and convenience by many reviewers.
Prelicensing: Starting at $455
All prelicensing packages include the 96 required hours as well as business e-books, career resources, downloadable resources, digital flashcards, real estate glossary, study schedules, and instructor-led webinars. Other add-ons from packages are:
- “Courses Only” package: $455 (includes only the above items)
- “Standard Package”: $515 includes exam prep and pass guarantee
- “Value “Package”: $555 includes the above and “building business course”
- “Premium Package”: $735 includes the above and 48-hour post-licensing courses
Post-licensing: Starting at $15
- Full 48 hours of the post-licensing bundle is $299
- Courses can be purchased individually from $15 to $49 based on credit hours
Continued Education: Starting at $39
- Full 6-hour packages can be purchased for $65
- Individual courses can be purchased from $39 to $75 based on credit hours
Exam Prep: Starting at $69
- Salesperson or broker exam packages range from $69 to $119. You can customize your package for the national or state portion, or a combination of both
Kentucky Real Estate College: Best for Upgrading for a Broker’s License
If you’re looking for some local Kentucky flavor, look no further than Kentucky Real Estate College. Compared to its competitors, Kentucky Real Estate College has the most extensive list of broker’s education courses to fulfill your 48 hours of required education to sit for the broker’s exam. Its courses are 100% online and self-paced for busy agents managing clients while upgrading their licenses.
Kentucky Real Estate College has a perfect customer rating on Google, with several students praising its instructors, support, and organization as a whole. Many have also been repeat customers finishing prelicensing and subsequent courses. However, if you’re looking for livestream courses Real Estate Express may be a better option for your education.
Like the other local Kentucky schools, such as Perry Real Estate College, Kentucky Real Estate College does not offer tiered packages but rather a flat rate for their educational services.
- Prelicensing: $395
- Post-licensing: Starting at $30; bundled package is available for $245, and courses can be purchased individually from $30 to $45 based on credit hours
- Broker licensing: $399
- Continued education: Starting at $45; courses can be purchased individually from $30 to $45 based on credit hours
- Exam prep: Starting at $29
- Exam prep is offered through Perry Real Estate College
- Math calculations cost $29
- Kentucky law is $59
- General and math prep costs $79
- Bundled package is $99
Hondros College: Best Prelicensing Exam Preparation
For aspiring agents who need some additional study materials, Hondros College is your best bet. Not only does it offer exam preparation within its course packages, but it also partners with CompuCram to offer additional exam assistance. Both simulated exams and vocabulary quizzes are formulated to pass the real estate exam on the first try. Similar to many other national brands, Hondros College offers tiered packages so you can decide on the level of educational tools you need to succeed.
Although Hondros College does not have as many reviews as its competitors, customers found its program helpful in acing their real estate exam and the courses to be convenient. Some said its platform was not particularly intuitive, so if you are looking for one that is, take a closer look at Kaplan or The CE Shop.
Like many of the national schools listed in this article, Hondros College does provide tiered packages for pre- and post-licensing education.
Prelicensing: Starting at $415
All prelicensing courses include 96 hours of prelicensing, full glossary and terminology, practice questions, and refund policy.
- Tier 1: $415
- Tier 2: $455 includes above and CompuCram Online Exam Prep Unlimited Practice Exams Study Vocabulary Simulated National and State Exams
- Tier 3: $585 includes above and post-licensing education hours
Post-licensing: Starting at $19
- Bundled course: $279
- Individual courses: Available from $19 to $69 based on credit hours
Exam Prep: $89
- Through CompuCram