Checkr Review 2023: Pricing, Features & Alternatives
This article is part of a larger series on Hiring.
Checkr is a background check provider that provides fast and simple compliance screenings for global enterprises, startups, and SMBs using artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning. Its basic plan starts at $29.99/check, with add-ons such as criminal record checks, employment history verification, and drug screening available.
With a 4.79 out of 5, Checkr earned the top spot in our guide to the best background check companies because of its pricing, compliance features, reporting capabilities, and background check functionality. Checkr also offers international screenings in more than 200 countries. Furthermore, the reports are accessible by both employers and applicants.
In the News: Checkr recently acquired GoodHire, so its services are the same. Checkr and GoodHire pricing is also similar, starting at $29.99/check.
- Automated process
- International screenings in 200+ countries
- Onsite drug testing
- Can run multiple results
- Occasional delay in results
- Customer service is slow
- No notifications
- International screenings
- Discounts for bulk background checks
- Wide variety of specialty screenings
- Businesses hiring internationally: Checkr has a global screening suite and conducts educational, criminal, and employment verification of people in more than 200 countries.
- Organizations looking for locality-based compliance checks: Checkr offers compliance checks tailored to specific industries and locations. For example, compliance solutions for the healthcare industry include checks for sanctions and exclusions, which are required by the Office of Inspector General (OIG) in the US.
- Businesses that are bulk-hiring: Checkr offers batch processing for criminal background checks, allowing businesses to submit large volumes of checks simultaneously and receive results quickly.
- Businesses looking for an instant background check: While Checkr has international screenings, it does not have an instant result feature. For businesses that want to have the results in a matter of minutes, Backgroundchecks.com offers the fastest service and includes SSN validation, criminal background checks, and sex offender registry checks. The result will be sent to you a few minutes after the screening process.
- Companies looking for industry-specific background checks: Although Checkr has a wide variety of specialty background checks, you have to mix and match the services you need manually. On the other hand, Trusted Employees did the legwork by grouping the background checks relevant to your industry.
- Small businesses looking for a cheaper alternative: Checkr’s pricing is from $29.99 to $79.99 per check—which can be pricey for some smaller businesses. If you are looking for more affordable criminal, identity, and credit checks, ShareAble for Hires is a good alternative. Its price range is between $25 and $60 per check.
For more details on any of the alternatives we mentioned here, check out our best background check companies guide.
Checkr Deciding Factors
Supported Business Types:
Businesses conducting bulk checks
International Background Checks:
Ease of Use:
Checkr has both a desktop and mobile version which allows candidates to input their information wherever they are.
Email, help desk, FAQs, forum, knowledge base, phone support
Starts at $25/check
Starts at $29.95/screening
Starts at $33.15/check
Best for: Businesses looking for a cheaper alternative
Best for: Companies looking for industry-specific background checks
Best for: Businesses looking for an instant background check
For some practical tips on hiring the right employees, read our article on how to hire employees.
Checkr received a perfect score in this criterion because its starting price is less than $30. It also does not require any setup fees and has transparent pricing. Below is a comparison of each Checkr plan as well as the add-ons it provides:
$29.99 / check
$54.99 / check
$79.99 / check
Sex Offender Registry
Global Watchlist Records
National Criminal Records
Unlimited County Criminal Search
Federal Criminal Records Search
Current Employment Verification
Previous Employment Verification
Starts at $15/check
Professional License Verification
Fraud and Abuse Control Information System
Starts at $6/check
Lab-based Drug Testing
Starts at $60/check
On-site Drug Testing
Starts at $37/check
Background checks ensure that you are getting the right types of employees, and Checkr’s screening process does not disappoint. It received a 4.38 out of 5 rating because it offers additional niche background checks; has international, national, and local searches; and provides robust employee screening options. However, the occasional delays in the results prevented it from having a perfect score.
Below are some the background check services that Checkr offers:
- Criminal Background Check: Checkr searches county, state, and federal courts to check whether the applicant has a criminal record within the last seven years before the job application.
- Professional License Checks*: This service allows employers to verify the eligibility of a candidate’s professional credentials, especially in regulated or highly specialized industries.
- Civil Screenings*: Checkr searches both county and federal court records to check whether their candidate has been named a plaintiff or defendant in a lawsuit.
- Drug Testing*: Checkr has added onsite drug testing, allowing employers to get an immediate result. This feature is especially helpful if the candidate lives in an area with low clinic availability. It’s also useful when deciding to hire someone on the spot.
- Healthcare Sanctions*: Checkr uses Fraud Abuse Control Information System (FACIS) levels 1 and 3 when verifying a person in the healthcare field. The verification ensures that the medical practitioner has no record of adverse actions.
- International Background Checks*: This feature includes verification of a person’s criminal record, educational and professional licenses, driving records, and many more. Checkr recently added live online verification of candidates who reside in Wales and England as well as MVR checks in Canada.
*These are add-ons to the primary packages Checkr offers.
Checkr received a perfect score for compliance because of the safety measures it placed in each of its verification processes. It automates the process to lessen the error of manual work and allows employers to approve eligible candidates automatically.
Checkr uses advanced algorithms and machine learning to provide estimated completion times for background check reports. It considers factors such as the type of background check being conducted, the sources of information being used, and the current workload of the Checkr team. The algorithm is also designed to learn from historical data to improve its accuracy over time. However, the accuracy of these predictions can vary depending on various factors.
Checkr helps organizations comply with the Ban the Box laws by providing them with tools to remove questions related to criminal history on job applications.
Read our in-depth article about ban the box laws to learn more about their impact on hiring policies and processes.
The matrix uses a set of predetermined criteria to analyze an individual’s criminal record and determine whether they pose a risk to the organization.
The positive adjudication matrix evaluates several factors, including the type and severity of the offense, the time elapsed since the offense, and the number of offenses. Based on these factors, Checkr assigns a score to the candidate that reflects their level of risk to the organization.
This is sent to an organization before they take adverse action against a job applicant or current employee based on the results of a background check. Adverse action can include denying employment or terminating employment.
The pre-adverse action notice includes a copy of the background check report, a summary of the individual’s rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and instructions for the recipient to take further action. The notice is intended to allow the recipient to review the information in the report and provide an opportunity for the individual to dispute any inaccuracies.
Checkr gets another perfect score in its reporting capabilities because it puts into account local, federal, and state laws. This ensures that all background check reports are aligned with FCRA and other regulatory requirements. It only includes information in its reports that is allowed by law and excludes prohibited information. This helps organizations make informed decisions about hiring and ensures that they comply with legal requirements.
Checkr got a 4.63 out 5 rating on ease of use—it would have gotten a perfect score, had it offered live chat support. However, it has phone support and an extensive knowledge base. It also has an intuitive user interface that is easy to navigate, even for users who are not tech-savvy. The platform is well-organized, with clear menus and instructions, making it easy for users to find what they need.
Overall, Checkr’s ease of use is a significant advantage for organizations that must manage their background check process efficiently and effectively. The platform is user-friendly, customizable, and supported by a responsive customer support team, making it a great choice for organizations of all sizes and industries.
We checked top third-party review websites like G2 and Capterra, and Checkr reviews are largely positive. Also, reviewers using the background checking service are satisfied, citing only minor issues.
Most positive reviews about Checkr include its ease of use, simple design, and international checks. Those who left negative reviews dislike the occasional delay in results and that they don’t receive any notifications when a candidate responds to the invite.
- G2: 4.5 out of 5 based on 200+ reviews
- Capterra: 4.7 out of 5 based on 250+ reviews
How We Evaluated
We looked at Checkr’s general background check functionality, reporting capabilities, and compliance features. Providers that offer special screenings like drug testing and international checks received a higher score. We also considered popularity, ease of use, and pricing in the evaluation process.
Click through each tab to look at the details of our evaluation:
15% of Overall Score
We looked at pricing and gave higher points for providers with plans starting at less than $30 per search and those with transparent pricing. Providers with no setup or membership fees also score higher in our evaluation.
25% of Overall Score
In our evaluation, we looked at providers with fast turnaround times and offer robust employee screening options with additional niche background check services, such as motor vehicle records, drug screening, credit checks, and licensure checks. Extra points were also given to providers with communication tools for both applicants and employers.
20% of Overall Score
FCRA compliance means a provider must perform background checks that are transparent, accurate, and fair to applicants. This means that a provider should inform and ask applicants for consent before a background check. If there are inaccuracies in a report, the provider should allow candidates to dispute this information. Also, it should provide tools for handling pre-adverse and adverse action notices.
15% of Overall Score
For this criterion, we gave points to providers that allow easy tracking of a background check status for both applicants and employers. To get a perfect score in this criterion, a platform should be easy to use and mobile-friendly, allow integration with HR software, offer bulk ordering tools, and have live support via chat and phone.
10% of Overall Score
We gave higher points for companies that have more than 100 user reviews, without complaints of report inaccuracies, and more than 4.5 out of 5 scores on review sites (like G2 and Capterra).
15% of Overall Score
In our evaluation, we gave points to providers that offer FCRA-compliant reports and allow both employers and candidates to access their background check reports online.
Checkr’s platform is designed to automate many background check processes such as order placement, candidate communication, and report delivery. This reduces the time and effort required to manage the background check process, making it more efficient and streamlined.