2023 HireRight Review: Is It Right for Your Business?
This article is part of a larger series on Hiring.
HireRight provides tailored Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)-compliant employment screening services, including criminal background screening, employment experience checks, identity verification, I-9 and E-Verify, drug testing, and health screening. With a broad range of screening services available to clients in over 200 countries, it’s a flexible option for HR managers in many industries.
It scored 3.18 out of 5 when we evaluated it against our best background check companies criteria. It did not make our guide because it doesn’t have transparent pricing or offer bulk background checks. We also found that they had some negative reviews on popular third-party review websites. Despite some of their low rankings, HireRight can be a good fit for organizations that have very industry-specific needs, like healthcare or transportation.
- HR teams needing integrations to payroll and HR platforms: HireRight has partnered with top HR and payroll companies, so it’s easy to manage data and make the hiring process smooth.
- Businesses in the transportation industry: It offers various transportation-related screening solutions—such as drug and health services, motor vehicle records, physical exams, and alcohol testing. It also has solutions for different transportation segments, including trucking, mass transit, aviation, rail, and pipeline.
- Finance-related businesses: HireRight helps financial institutions make good hiring decisions through specialized screening services, such as credit history checks and global screening.
- Businesses in the healthcare industry: HireRight offers several healthcare screening packages, including ones for physicians, nurses, home health aides, medical assistants, and EMTs/paramedics. Its screening solutions include SSN traces, criminal background checks, education verifications, professional qualifications, and drug tests.
- Freelancers and self-employed individuals needing background checks: HireRight is a business-to-business provider and does not serve individuals. For personal background checks, you can try ShareAble for Hires.
- Businesses that want a background check with transparent pricing: You need to talk to a sales representative to know how much HireRight’s screening services cost. If this is important for you, check out Trusted Employees, which has straightforward pricing. Besides having transparent pricing, Trusted Employees earned one of the top spots in our guide to the best background check companies for having flexible background check services.
- Companies that are bulk-hiring: As mentioned above, HireRight’s pricing plan isn’t as transparent as those of some competitors. If you are looking for a provider that offers volume discounts, Checkr is a good alternative, which starts at $29.99/check. It also offers discounts if you are conducting more than 300 checks annually.
HireRight Deciding Factors
Ease of Use
Top HireRight Alternatives
Best for: Businesses looking for a provider with transparent pricing
Best for: Businesses doing bulk hiring
Best for: Companies conducting individual background checks
Per-report fees from: $29.95
Per-report fees from: $29.99
Per-report fees from: $25
Standout feature: Has customizable scoring models and color coding tools for faster applicant screening
Standout feature: Integrates with popular HRIS and ATS software
Standout feature: Offers instant criminal reports
HireRight doesn’t indicate its pricing packages on its website. You need to contact sales for more information. Because of this factor, the provider got a 1.5 rating out of 5 in this criterion.
When hiring employees, you must ensure that you get the right person for the job. HireRight offers a suite of background check solutions, such as criminal background checks and drug tests, to help businesses during the hiring process. Overall, HireRight earned a 4.13 out of 5 rating in this area.
Background Check Services
Businesses usually include background screening as part of their applicant screening process. With HireRight, you can access more than 50 background check services covering 200+ countries and territories. Here are some of its services:
- Criminal background checks: These include searching through federal, county, and state criminal databases. HireRight also conducts sex offender registry searches and fingerprint-based criminal history checks, ideal for regulated job roles such as those in the education and financial services industry.
- Drug and health testing: HireRight partners with Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)-certified laboratories and device manufacturers to offer a comprehensive selection of drug and health tests.
- Alcohol screening devices and evidentiary breath alcohol testing
- Laboratory-based oral fluid, urine, and hair drug testing
- Physical exams and wellness services that follow client-specific and Department of Transportation (DOT) exam protocols
- Point-of-collection (instant) drug testing devices
- Pre-employment medical assessment and questionnaires
- Education and employment verifications: You can check a candidate’s education history, such as the school’s name and degree earned. For employment verifications, HireRight will validate the candidate’s current and previous employment details, from job titles and salary information to dates of employment.
- Identity checks: You can verify whether the candidate’s government-issued identification number is valid. Moreover, HireRight can confirm a candidate’s identity by validating the information indicated on their passport.
- Professional license checks: Apart from checking the validity of a candidate’s professional licenses (such as driver’s and medical-related licenses), HireRight will search for any derogatory records and disciplinary actions.
- Professional reference checks: If you want to gain insight into a candidate’s character and work ethic, then you may want to consider getting this service. After a candidate has identified a person as a professional reference, HireRight will ask several standardized questions and document the responses. For reference, some questions include asking about the candidate’s strongest attributes, professional motivations, and interpersonal skills.
E-Verify & Electronic Form I-9 Solution
This solution, which complies with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requirements, is designed to help you streamline employment eligibility verification processes for new hires. It lets you create, download, store, print, and electronically sign digital Form 1-9s. This tool also includes duplicate document detection, form annotations and notes, customizable email alerts, and an audit trail indicating when a form has been modified and by whom.
HireRight earned a 4.38 out of 5 rating in this category because it helps businesses mitigate risks by ensuring that your HR team is compliant with FCRA and similar laws. It didn’t get a perfect score because you must pay extra for this service.
Some of the features included in the compliance service include:
- Applying adjudication guidelines to your screening results
- Providing pre-screening disclosures to applicants and asking their consent before answering the background check forms
- Streamlining the pre-adverse and adverse notification process
Its robust reporting capability is the primary reason HireRight got a perfect score in this criterion. It offers self-service management reports that are readily available online and allow users to track the turnaround time, cost, prevalent adverse records, and more. The reports are also customizable and can be downloaded.
- Candidate assistance
- Customer portal
- Resource Library
- Phone, live chat, and email support
- List of offices in different locations
HireRight scored 4.25 out of 5 in this criterion because it is easy for both clients and candidates to access their respective portals. It also provides a resource library for candidates and clients to learn more about background screening. However, it did not get a perfect score because it does not support bulk background checks.
This provider makes accessing their separate portals easy for clients and candidates. It provides a resource library for candidates and clients to learn more about background screening. Should users have immediate concerns, they can contact HireRight via phone or email. Users also love its live chat function, which helps them when they need immediate assistance and eradicates their need to make a call. HireRight also lists its office locations all over the world.
Many reviewers love HireRight’s user-friendly platform, which helps them quickly navigate the features. Some also commented that the reports look neat and organized, and others like the dedicated customer support.
However, users noted some delays with the live chat response. Others also called out the slow turnaround times of some criminal background checks. The negative feedback and the small number of reviews on popular third-party websites greatly impacted HireRight’s score in this criterion, which is why it only scored 3.38 out of 5.
At the time of writing, HireRight received the following scores on popular review websites:
- G2: 3.4 out of 5 stars based on 115+ reviews
- TrustRadius: 7.8 out of 10 ratings based on 75+ reviews
- Capterra: 4.3 out of 5 stars based on 10+ reviews
How We Evaluated HireRight
We looked at HireRight’s general background check functionality, reporting capabilities, and compliance features. If it offered special screenings like drug testing and international checks it received a higher score. We also considered popularity, ease of use, and pricing in the evaluation process.
Click through each tab to look at the details of our evaluation:
10% of Overall Score
Providers with straightforward and transparent pricing received a higher score in this criterion. Those that did not require a set-up fee also received additional points.
25% of Overall Score
The best background check services offer international, national, and local searches. Providers with county-level and niche background checks like professional and educational verifications received a higher score.
20% of Overall Score
We looked at several compliance features, such as pre-adverse and adverse action notices and dispute documents in this criterion. We also considered whether these forms are available online or can be downloaded. Providers that have these features scored higher.
15% of Overall Score
Aside from compliance and background check features, we considered whether both applicants and employers could access the reports. We also checked if the reports are compliant with the FRCA.
10% of Overall Score
For this criterion, we looked at the real-world users on popular third-party review websites like Capterra and G2. Those that received a 4+ star rating and have more than 100 reviews received a higher rating.
20% of Overall Score
Background check services with automated workflows, status tracking, and a mobile version received extra scores. We also considered those that offer bulk screenings.
HireRight is a background screening service for companies of all sizes. It helps businesses manage pre-employment screening, identity verification, drug testing, and education verification. Hiring professionals using top HR and payroll software will love HireRight’s seamless integration capability.