Home inspector training varies by state but generally includes online courses and field training for inspecting structures, mechanicals, and other parts of residential properties. We compared dozens of home inspection training programs and identified the six best options—including the best overall—based on factors like price, course availability and format, customer support, and student reviews.
Home Inspector Training
(Best Overall) Inspectors who want top-notch training with lifetime support
Independent home inspectors who want an all-in-one platform for inspection training and professional resources
Learners who prefer instructor-led courses, both in person and online
Budget-strapped students who need a low-cost training option
Licensed home inspectors who need to meet continuing education requirements
Aspiring home inspectors who prefer self-directed study
How We Evaluated Home Inspector Training
Requirements for becoming a home inspector vary from state to state, with some accepting online coursework and others requiring in-person training, while some states, like Georgia, don’t have any licensing requirements. As a result, there may be local schools that excel in your specific area. However, to be considered for this list, schools had to offer programs for multiple states in order to ensure our recommendations were as comprehensive as possible.
In addition, we evaluated the best real home inspector training programs based on the following:
- Size of national footprint
- Course availability and format
- Ease of use
- Customer support
Based on the criteria above, we recommend American Home Inspectors Training as the best overall option for home inspection training. Not only is the platform available in the greatest number of states, it offers a range of course types and lifetime support to its students.
AHIT: Best Overall Home Inspector Training Program
What it is: American Home Inspectors Training (AHIT) offers home inspection training online and in-person in most states.
What makes it a great home inspector training school: AHIT stands out because of its lifetime support, which gives students access to instructors and prelicensing course materials even after they’re licensed.
Only school to offer lifetime support
More expensive than other options
Online, in-person, and weekend options
Does not offer free access to software
Most comprehensive courses and tools
Customer support is not always accessible
- Prelicensing online certification course in most states costs $895
- Prelicensing online certification course in Texas is $1,895
- Florida Master Classroom Course costs $95
- California Master Classroom Course costs $600
- Both online and in-person home inspection training courses
- In-person training courses offered in almost every state
- Online prelicensing and CE courses are available in every state except Nevada and New Jersey
- Interactive online learning material
- Master Classroom Course includes instructor-led online courses, training textbooks, and interactive quizzes
- Classroom-based learning and weekend field training offered in some states
- Lifetime support means that you can contact them with questions even after receiving your license
- Licensed inspectors are available to answer questions seven days a week
- Customer support available by email, phone, and live chat
What Students Say About AHIT
In general, AHIT students find that the platform provides users the courses they need to meet state licensing requirements and that the online and field instructors are extremely knowledgeable. Some users, however, have reported that it can be difficult to get in touch with their customer service team.
ATI Training: Best Home Inspector Training for Solopreneurs
What it is: ATI Training is an inspector training school that offers online and live, in-person home inspection training, and continuing education courses. In addition, it also offers professional resources that can help you better understand insurance options, tools like website hosting, and marketing support.
What makes it a great home inspector training school: ATI’s variety of features and courses make it an all-in-one solution for aspiring inspectors and licensed home inspectors who are considering starting their own business rather than joining a group.
Only school to offer website design service
Online course does not meet requirements of 12 states
Only school to offer financing options
In-person courses only available in 13 states
Affordable price with many included features
In-person pricing not available online
- Cost of in-person courses vary by state and is not published online
- Prelicensing training courses for $695
- Financing options available
- Continuing education courses range from $99 to $249
- Exam pass guarantee
- Prelicensing course includes inspection video library, NHIE test prep material, and practice questions
- Instructor support
- Free marketing courses
- Discounts on additional marketing programs and software
- Hands-on field training
- Prelicensing available in 50 states, but does not meet requirements for 12 states
- In-person classes are available in 13 states
- Offers insurances like liability, errors and omissions, health, and dental insurance
- Offers a website design service, as well as business cards, brochures, and other marketing tools
- Customer support available by phone, online form, and live chat
What Students Say About ATI
We found only 5-star reviews for ATI Training. ATI students generally report that the instructors are highly qualified and that the course materials are both informative and interesting. Users also find that the user dashboard is easy to use and that the course format is easy to follow.
Inspection Certification Associates: Best for Instructor-led Video Training
What it is: Inspection Certification Associates (ICA) is an inspection training provider that offers students online and in-person courses.
What makes it a great home inspector training school: ICA students benefit most from the platform’s live, instructor-led video lessons, which stand out from other common course materials like slideshows and textbooks.
Online courses are instructor-led
In-person courses not widely available
Affordable online courses
In-person courses are more expensive than most other schools
Courses include specialty trainings
No marketing tools or courses offered
- Home Inspection Training course is $695
- In-person courses range between $1,195 and $1,695
- Courses include specialty training for commercial property inspection, mold inspection, and wood-destroying organisms inspection
- Home inspector training courses in all states except Nevada and New Jersey
- Quizzes and exams consistently assess your understanding of concepts
- Courses include e-books and other training materials in ICA’s online library
- Lifetime access to course the materials
- Free access to Report Form Pro 2 reporting software
What Students Say About ICA
Generally, ICA students find that the platform prepares them for state home inspection licensure. Graduates of the ICA training program have also had great experience with the program’s customer support team. Specifically, they report that ICA’s instructors are extremely responsive and offer helpful responses to course-related questions and professional inquiries.
PHII: Most Cost-effective Home Inspector Training School
What it is: Professional Home Inspection Institute (PHII) is an online and in-person home inspection training company based in South Dakota.
What makes it a great home inspector training school: PHII is the most cost-effective training school we considered, so it’s the best choice for those who want to become an inspector but are on a budget.
Most affordable online course
In-person courses only offered in South Dakota
Includes reporting software
No online reviews
Online courses are available in over 30 states
Mold and radon coursework is only available at an extra cost
- Licensing course costs $595
- 32-hour Advanced Home Inspection Course is $395
- Additional courses range from $199 to $299
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Online licensure course includes prelicensing coursework, one-year North American Association of Home Inspectors (NAAHI) membership, and a business website
- Includes tools like reporting software and an InspectHost business website
- Customer support is available by phone or online contact form
- Pre- and post-tests help assess your progress
- Flash cards
- Audio and video components
- In-person classes meet requirements for several states, but are only offered within South Dakota
What Students Say About PHII
There are no reviews of PHII readily available online. However, PHII’s website asserts that they are an accredited member of the Better Business Bureau. The school is also an approved training provider for many professional organizations and state licensing boards. Finally, PHII offers a 30-day satisfaction money back guarantee—something not offered by other schools we evaluated.
McKissock Learning: Best for Continuing Education
What it is: McKissock Learning is an online education platform that offers home inspector continuing education.
What makes it a great home inspector training school: McKissock has extensive experience in the professional education industry and offers a range of inspection courses. Try McKissock if you need to meet continuing education requirements or just want to advance your real estate career with professional development courses.
CE courses are available in 18 states
Only offers continuing education courses
Courses can be purchased individually or in packages
Courses only available online
No prelicensing courses
- License renewal course packages vary by state
- 12-hour renewal package in Illinois is $119.97
- 32-hour renewal package in Texas is $247
- Individual two-hour courses are $19.97
- Individual three-hour courses are $35.97
- Individual six-hour courses are $59.97
- Home inspection continuing education (CE) courses are offered individually and in packages
- CE courses are available in 18 states
- All courses are approved by American Society of Home Inspectors and the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors
- Courses include interactive questions that appear on-screen to keep you engaged
- Offers CE courses specific to American Society of Home Inspectors, the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors, and the California Real Estate Inspection Association
- Customer support available by phone, email, and online form
What Students Say About McKissock
Students find that McKissock’s home inspection courses are challenging, cost-efficient, and time-saving. Furthermore, users report that they appreciate the layout, pace, and subject matter of the courses. However, some McKissock users find that the courses cover too much information and that the quizzes are too difficult to pass.
Kaplan: Best Home Inspector Training for Self-directed Study
What it is: Kaplan is an industry-leading online real estate education provider.
What makes it a great home inspector training school: Kaplan offers an online course and a textbook-based, self-study home inspection course for 31 states. This could be the best choice if you prefer self-directed study using a hard copy of a textbook.
Only school to offer a physical textbook
Only one online course option
Online course available in 31 states
Textbook course may not be as comprehensive as an online course
Textbook course option is the most affordable option
No marketing tools or courses offered
- Principles of Home Inspection online course is $799
- Principles of Home Inspection textbook is $179
- Horizon Report Writing System software is $300
- MATRIX Home Inspection Report Forms are $13.95 to $17.95 per set
- Online course includes almost 100 video segments, interactive activities, quizzes, and detailed illustrations
- Online course includes access to the virtual Kaplan Interactive Study Group, held weekly
- Online course includes a free trial subscription to Horizon home inspection software
- Customer support available by email or phone
- Technical support available by phone
What Students Say About Kaplan
Kaplan is one of the best accredited schools for real estate education and offers numerous courses, so it is difficult to isolate user reviews that are specific to the home inspection training. In general, Kaplan students find that courses offer a large volume of information and prepare them for requisite licensing exams. Users who gave the platform negative reviews found it to be confusing and difficult to follow.
State-specific Home Inspection Training & Requirements
Home inspector training and licensing requirements vary among states, with some requiring in-person training and others having no formal licensing requirements. If you live in a state that requires in-person training or prefer to take a live, local course, check with your state’s licensing board to choose an approved course provider.
To help you choose home inspection training, we evaluated local licensing requirements in a few large states and recommend the following in-person home inspector training providers.
Recommended Local Home Inspector Training Provider
Key Realty School
Michael Casey & Associates
Institute of Florida Real Estate Careers
Home inspection licensure requirements vary by state, but most states require you to complete prelicensing training, pass an exam, and register for fieldwork. For the best inspector training, consider courses that are cost-effective, available in a large number of states, and offer flexible course formats for on-demand learning.
Our overall top pick for home inspector training courses is American Home Inspectors Training. Not only do they offer prelicensing courses in all but two states, they serve current and former students with lifetime customer support. Click here to take a video tour of AHIT and find out if it’s the inspector training platform for you.