Top-performing New York real estate schools offer multiple course formats, great pricing, and all the resources you need to complete your 75 hours of initial licensing courses or continuing education needs online. We researched dozens of course providers to identify the best online real estate schools for New York agents, from those seeking to pass their exam the first time to experienced agents seeking license renewal or looking to upgrade to a broker license.
We’ve determined the following New York real estate schools offer agents the highest-quality education from the comfort of their home:
Best overall for online real estate classes for all stages of your career
Individuals who prefer to learn via video format
Most affordable prelicensing and continuing education for license renewal
New York agents seeking to upgrade to a broker license
Customizable continuing education for all stages of licensing
Access to top-performing New York City local experts
Things you need to know before enrolling for your New York real estate license education: Along with education requirements, there are additional steps to completing your real estate licensure. Check out our Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming a Real Estate Agent in New York to help you get started.
How We Evaluated the Best Real Estate Schools in New York
Becoming a real estate agent in New York is fairly simple compared to other states. Still, it’s important to guarantee you’re receiving high-quality education because of the competitiveness of conducting business in this metropolis. To have this guarantee and get your career off to a fast start, align your learning style with an online real estate school that offers a variety of course features and formats, career support, and positive customer reviews, all at a reasonable cost.
After researching multiple real estate schools in New York with online learning courses, we found Real Estate Express to be your best overall choice for accredited schools in New York. With a score of 4.40 out of 5, it earns the top spot by providing interactive courses, reasonable pricing, and career support.
Other criteria that influenced scores are as follows:
35% of Overall Score
- Pricing is based on the cost for pre- and post-licensing, continuing education courses, and exam prep for each online institution.
- The availability of online courses according to licensing stage: prelicensing courses for new agents, post-licensing for agents seeking a broker license, continuing education for licensed agents looking for license renewal options, and exam preparation.
35% of Overall Score
Consists of various formatting and learning styles for each course to meet the specific needs of the agent as well as ease of course accessibility.
15% of Overall Score
Convenience and attainability of customer service for technical support and instructor assistance.
15% of Overall Score
Based on customer feedback for each online real estate school in New York, with particular attention given to value for money, to certify the course meets user satisfaction.
Real Estate Express: Best Overall Online Real Estate School in New York
Real Estate Express is our best overall pick when it comes to online real estate schools in New York because of its variety of learning methodology that includes interactive and engaging instruction with career support for every stage of your successful real estate career. You can further customize your courses by choosing from on-demand video or self-paced online class formats.
The addition of “Smart Bites” and interactive “Live Q&A” (question and answer) supports improved comprehension and retention, which sets Real Estate Express apart from its competitors. If the school’s learning tools don’t lead to you passing your real estate exam, the pass or don’t pay money-back guarantee makes you eligible for a refund.
Users found Real Estate Express to be user-friendly and the instructors very accessible, although some did not like the large amount of reading involved in the program. If you’re looking for more video-based education, check out Kaplan.
Although the pricing may appear complicated, Real Estate Express differs from the other schools in giving you full-course packages with the ability to add on features to enhance your learning experience.
Prelicensing: Starting at $309
All packages include the 75 hours of New York state required prelicensing classes, three e-books, and instructor support.
- The Basics: $309 includes everything above
- Exam Preparation: $364 includes everything in The Basics plus “Pass or Don’t Pay” guarantee, exam prep, and exam cram video and workbook
- Exam Preparation Plus: $419 includes everything in the packages above plus dictionary, exam cram video, and instructor Q&A
- Ultimate Learning: $499 includes everything in the packages above plus printed textbook, 90-day boot camp, and one-year professional development membership
- Individual courses: $99 to $309
Broker Prelicensing: Starting at $249
- Broker Basics: $249 includes 45-hour broker prelicensing course, e-books, instructor support, and a discussion board
Continued Education: Starting at $19.95*
- 22.5-hour Renewal Package with NAR Ethics: $129.95
- 22.5-hour First-Time Renewal Package with NAR Ethics: $129.95
- New York McKissock CE PLUS Membership: $169 includes access to all continuing education (CE) courses in New York, a real estate coaching tool, access to the extensive pro-series on-demand webinar library, how-to videos, over 100 job aids (worksheets, scripts, and checklists), product and service discounts, and knowledgeable education specialists
- Individual courses: $19.95 to $99 based on credit hours
*Offered through its partner company, McKissock Learning
Exam Prep: $99
Pro tip: Start your real estate education today with a special offer for our readers from Real Estate Express. Use promo code FSB25 for 25% off your purchase.
Kaplan: Best for Video-based Online Learning
For individuals looking for something in between text-based online learning and livestream classes, Kaplan’s on-demand video courses are a great choice. Although Kaplan does offer all of the mentioned course varieties, its OnDemand video library is robust and gives you a more in-classroom feel while learning at your own pace. In addition, the school’s real estate course packages include live instructor webinars to enhance your knowledge with instruction from expert professionals.
You also get direct access to instructors to ask questions and receive career guidance, which is especially important if you are getting your initial New York real estate license. Those features, coupled with the articles and resources in the Career Toolbox, could be as valuable to a real estate agent as Patrick Ewing was to the Knicks.
Students praised the teachers, content, and delivery of Kaplan’s real estate courses, with many exclaiming they passed their New York real estate exam on the first attempt. Other students were not fans of the customer support provided by Kaplan. Although the school offers a great education experience, their prices are higher than most other providers, so take a look at Aceable Agent or Mbition for more budget-friendly options.
Kaplan provides packages for purchase rather than individual real estate courses to choose from, except with their continuing education, which you can customize.
Prelicensing: Starting at $245
- New York 75-hour Salesperson Qualifying Course: $379
- New York 75-hour Salesperson Qualifying Course with Textbook and Master Exam Prep Package: $509 includes the package above plus exam prep course, textbook, and interactive study group
- Career Builder Package: $709 includes everything in the packages above plus drill and practice questions and real estate accelerator course
- Carnegie Career Launcher Package: $909 includes everything in the packages above plus Dale Carnegie’s Secrets of Success course
Broker Prelicensing: $349
Continuing Education: Starting at $29
- 22.5-hour Complete CE Package: $133
- Individual real estate courses: $29 to $44
- CE can be purchased for salesperson or broker
Exam Prep: Starting at $159
- New York Real Estate Salesperson Drill and Practice QBank: $159
- New York Real Estate Exam Prep OnDemand Course: $199
- Exam prep can be purchased for salesperson or broker
Aceable Agent: Most Affordable Prelicensing & CE
You’ve gotta save money to make money, and Aceable Agent helps you do just that. As our most affordable choice for real estate prelicensing and CE in New York, Aceable offers its courses in completely self-paced packages.
Its smart technology includes a tracking algorithm that determines your areas of strength and weakness, so you can focus on specific areas for improvement. This personalization provides the self-paced learner with a more customized education geared toward passing the exam. Although the cost is the lowest, you are not sacrificing quality.
Customers enjoyed the program, and said that it was easy to follow and they were impressed with the great pricing. A few others did not like the self-paced format and wished for more interaction. If you feel the same way about self-paced formatting, try the New York Real Estate Institute (NYREI) or Kaplan.
Aceable Agent does not offer tiered packages like some other online real estate schools, but its simple and affordable packages include the necessary courses to fulfill New York’s real estate prelicensing education requirements.
Continuing Education: Starting at $29
- Full 22.5-hour package: $133
- Individual courses: $29 to $44
Mbition: Best School for Upgrading to a Broker License
As a busy, experienced agent, upgrading to a broker license can be a daunting task, but Mbition has you covered. Partnered with one of New York’s most recognized real estate schools, the Real Estate Education Center (REEDC), Mbition provides an online and self-paced broker license course at the lowest price (tied with Real Estate Express).
The school’s courses are designed by industry experts with the end goal in mind of passing your state exam. The addition of e-books and textbooks aid in your understanding of materials for the exam as well as practical application in your career.
Mbition (formerly known as OnCourse Learning) was applauded for its flexible schedule and course navigation tools. Other users wished they had more options for career assistance, similar to NYREI.
Although Mbition does not offer as many course options as its competitors, they have comprehensive packages that fulfill all your New York real estate course hour requirements.
Prelicensing: Starting at $135.99
All packages include 75 hours of education, MathMaster, instructor support, and technical support.
- Silver Package: $229.99 includes everything above
- Gold Package: $294.99 includes everything in the Silver package plus pass guarantee, exam prep, and exam prep webinars
- Platinum Package: $344 includes everything in the packages above plus test-taking tips webinar, flashcards, and textbook
- Individual Salesperson Qualifying Course: $135.99
Broker Prelicensing: $249
Continuing Education: $15
- New York 22.5-hour Residential CE Package for First Renewal or Second and Subsequent Renewals: $135
- Individual courses: $15 to $49.99
Exam Prep: Starting at $59
- Salesperson Exam Review: $59
- Broker Exam Review: $59
- New York Exam Prep: $79
- New York Master Exam Prep: $129
The CE Shop: Best for Customizable Continued Education
Whether you are seeking license renewal for your salesperson or broker license (or both), The CE Shop stays true to its name as our top pick for continuing education classes. What makes The CE Shop unique from its competitors is the option to purchase full packages or to customize your purchase with individual courses.
This customization enables you to take classes you have a particular interest in while simultaneously fulfilling your 22.5 hours of required course content. In addition, its Agent Essentials resource page provides news and career tips to further enhance your real estate knowledge and career.
Reviews said the courses were engaging, fun, and informative. However, some reviewers had issues with customer service and wanted more interaction with instructors. If you’d like more instructor support, consider Kaplan or Real Estate Express.
As a national provider, The CE Shop offers tiered packages as well as individual real estate courses tailored to your educational needs.
Prelicensing: Starting at $299
All New York real estate prelicensing packages include the 75 required hours of prelicensing education as well as business e-books, career resources, downloadable resources, digital flashcards, real estate glossary, study schedules, and instructor-led webinars.
- Basic: $299 includes everything above
- Standard: $359 includes everything in the Basic package plus exam prep and pass guarantee
- Value: $399 also includes everything in the packages above plus a building business course
- Premium: $475 includes everything in the packages above plus 22.5 hours of CE classes
Broker Prelicensing: $45
- 30-hour Remedial Course: $195
- 45-hour Broker License Course: $325
- 75-hour Remedial and Broker Package: $375
- 78-hour Remedial Broker and CE Package: $505
Continued Education: Starting at $9
- Full 22.5-hour packages: Can be purchased for $129 for salesperson and broker courses
- Individual courses: $9 to $35 based on credit hours
Exam Prep: $119
- Salesperson exam prep
New York Real Estate Institute: Best for Access to Top Industry Performers
The New York Real Estate Institute, commonly known as NYREI, is a staple in the New York real estate industry. In business for 33 years, NYREI has been home to many of the top-producing real estate agents in the Empire State. NYREI stands apart from its competitors because of the access it offers students to instructors, many of whom are local, high-performing industry experts.
NYREI also offers career guidance advisers to assist you with job placement after course completion, but this access comes at a price. Compared to its competitors, NYREI is the most expensive choice for online education, which negatively impacted its overall score.
Pro tip: Before you enroll, check to see if a discount is available online. For example, Groupon often has options for discounted prelicensing classes at NYREI.
Customers of NYREI appreciated the teachers’ expert advice and strategies, while others did not appreciate the high course pricing. If you’re looking for a more budget-friendly real estate school, check out Aceable Agent or Mbition.
As a local provider, NYREI offers straightforward packages via their online platform or in-person real estate licensing courses at multiple sites located throughout New York City.
Prelicensing: Starting at $495
- Basic Package: $495 includes the required 75 hours of New York real estate classes
- Platinum Package: $995 includes courses, e-book, and exam prep
Broker Prelicensing: Starting at $250
- 30-hour Remedial Course: $250
- 45-hour Broker Licensing: $450
- Broker and Remedial Course Combo: $600
Continuing Education: Starting at $30
- Full 22.5-hour renewal package: $189
- Individual courses: $30 to $40