U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card
Best For: Expenses that shift from month to month
|Intro APR||Regular APR||Annual Fee||Credit Needed|
|N/A||16.49% Variable||No annual fee for the first year, $95 thereafter||Excellent|
The U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card is designed for owners whose expenses shift from month to month. It offers ongoing rewards in 48 spending categories. Earn two times the points in the two categories in which you spend most.
The best small business credit cards that offer rewards in the form of points pay up to five times the points on at least one bonus category, offer introductory rewards of as much as 50,000 points and introductory 0% annual percentage rate (APR) of nine months or more. The U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card offers lower bonus rewards than the best cards but has a unique introductory offer that could be worth $1,000 or more. We give it 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.
How We Evaluated the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card
The U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card offers businesses that need several employee credit cards a unique opportunity to earn up to five times the points on the products and services they spend the most on during the first year of card membership. It offers no introductory APR, and its ongoing 16.49% variable APR is high relative to the average small business credit card. Ongoing rewards are lower compared with cards like the Chase Ink Business Preferred®, which pays up to three times the points in select categories.
We considered the following criteria when grading this card based on what owners might need and want in a small business credit card that offers bonus category points rewards:
- Ongoing rewards: The points you’ll earn by using the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card; this card earns two times the points in the two categories in which you spend the most; if you want to earn bonus category rewards, consider one of the best business credit cards
- Introductory rewards: The points you’ll earn by reaching minimum spending requirements during the first few months of card ownership; the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card offers 75,000 points after you spend $7,500 within the first four months.
- Additional benefits: Whether the card comes with free perks that may increase its value; the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card offers valuable perks like lost luggage reimbursement and extended warranty protection
- Annual fee: How much you’ll pay each year to own the card; the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card charges $95 annually, waived the first year
- Intro APR: Whether the card offers a period of no-interest financing on purchases or balance transfers; the U.S. Bank card does not offer introductory 0% APR
- Ongoing APR: How much it will cost to finance purchases on the card; this card charges an ongoing APR of 16.49%, which is relatively high for a small business credit card
We weigh ongoing and introductory rewards heaviest when grading small business credit cards that offer points in bonus categories. Instead of a traditional sign-up bonus, the U.S. Bank credit card offers a bonus point per dollar spent during the first year.
How We Evaluate Points Rewards Business Credit Cards
When grading points rewards business credit cards like the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card, we weight ongoing and introductory rewards heaviest. We also take into account the annual fee, introductory and ongoing APRs and card benefits. This U.S. Bank card offers introductory and ongoing APRs that don’t compare well with the best small business credit cards.
We graded the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card using the following methodology:
Based on our five-star rating system where 20 points equals one star, the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card scores below average in several categories, including introductory and ongoing APR. In cases where cards receive perfect scores in most categories, we may award bonus points to boost the card’s rating.
Despite the excellent introductory rewards, our grade on the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card is appropriate because there is no introductory APR and the ongoing APR is high compared with other cards. Ongoing rewards aren’t as lucrative as other cards offers, either. If you travel frequently, consider the Chase Ink Business Preferred®, which offers three points per dollar on travel expenses, or a point more than this U.S. Bank card offers.
Who the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card Is Right For
The U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card is best for business owners who need a number of employee credit cards. The cap on this card’s introductory rewards — a bonus point per dollar spent for the first year up to $100,000 — is a per card cap, meaning you could earn bonus points for $100,000 spent on each card issued to you. That could prove lucrative if your business has a high credit card spend.
U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card Costs
This U.S. Bank business credit card comes with no introductory 0% APR on purchases or balance transfers, and its ongoing APR of 16.49% is fairly high for a small business credit card. Consider the Chase Ink Business Cash℠ if you want 0% APR. It offers 12 months of interest-free financing on purchases.
That card’s ongoing APR is as much as three percentage points lower. You can find cards with lower APRs among our list of the best credit cards for startup businesses.
Financing costs and fees on the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card include:
- Introductory APR: None
- Ongoing APR: 16.49%, which will adjust with the prime rate
- Annual fee: $95, waived the first year
- Balance transfer fee: $5 or 5% of the transaction during application, whichever is greater; $5 or 3% of the transaction thereafter
- Foreign transaction fee: 2% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM transaction in United States dollars
- Cash advance fee: $15 or 5% of the advance, whichever is greater
- Late payment fee: $39
- Returned payment fee: $39
- Penalty APR: 29.99%; it may be applied if you make payments five calendar days late twice or 30 calendar days late once, if you make a payment that is returned or if you exceed your credit limit twice in 12 consecutive months.
The penalty APR will apply until you make six consecutive on-time payments and do not exceed your credit limit. Some credit cards will hold you at the penalty APR indefinitely. The $95 annual fee, which is waived the first year, is identical to the annual fee assessed on the Capital One® Spark® Miles card but lower than some other travel credit cards, including the American Express Business Platinum at $595 (see rates & fees).
How to Avoid Paying Interest on the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card
Your payment due date is 24 to 30 days after the close of the business cycle when you receive your bill. Pay your balance in full by the due date to avoid interest charges. If you are charged interest, you’ll pay no less than $2. Other credit cards offer a similar window for your payment due date.
U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card Rewards
The U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card offers a flexible rewards program that adjusts which types of purchases earn two times the points each month automatically. This could be helpful if your spending priorities frequently change. The introductory bonus is tied to spending throughout the first year.
Earn 75,000 points after you spend $7,500 within the first four months.
Small business credit cards that offer introductory rewards typically tie the bonus to spending over the course of the first few months. This offer is similar to the Discover it Business Card in that the intro offer is determined by your spending during the first year. Discover it Business matches all of the cash back you earn during the first year. The total value could reach $1,000.
Keep in mind: The first-year bonus points are worth up to $7,500 on the main card and employee cards. Each card has its own cap of 100,000 points.
Earn the following ongoing rewards when using your card:
- 2x points per dollar spent on eligible net purchases in the top two categories where you spend the most each month
- 1x point per dollar spent on all other eligible purchases
When it comes to bonus categories, the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card is unique. You’ll earn two times the points from two of 48 spending categories, but you don’t have to make a choice. You’ll earn two times the points in the two categories from which you spend the most each month, whether it’s advertising or wholesale goods. Small business credit cards typically don’t let you choose your top rewards categories. If you travel frequently, consider one of the best travel rewards business credit cards instead.
You can also earn points with this card if you enroll in the Encore Relationship Rewards program, which allows you to earn rewards for using U.S. Bank as your credit card payments processor. Earn up to $2,880 cash back or 240,000 points annually on your net processing volume. No other small business credit card offers a program like this.
The U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card won’t pay points for the following purchases:
- Convenience checks, traveler’s checks, and money orders
- Credit insurance premiums
- Wire transfers and foreign cash transactions
- Betting transactions, lottery tickets, and ATM disbursements
- Balance transfers, interest charges, and fees
- Transactions to fund certain prepaid card products
- U.S. Mint purchases
How You Can Redeem Your Rewards
There are four primary ways to redeem your points:
- Cash back: Receive a statement credit or deposit into your U.S. Bank business checking, savings or money market account with a $50 minimum deposit
- Travel: Redeem for airline tickets on more than 150 airlines with no blackout dates
- Gift cards: Redeems points for gift cards from hundreds of retailers
- Merchandise: Choose from hundreds of brand name items
You can redeem your points through your online account. Points expire at the end of the calendar quarter that is five years from the date on which they were earned. Most other small business credit cards set no expiration date on rewards you earn.
U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card Features
This U.S. Bank business credit card offers several free perks as part of this card’s benefits package, including car rental insurance, lost luggage reimbursement, and purchase security. With the exception of the lost luggage reimbursement perk, the other card features are fairly common among small business credit cards.
U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
When you rent a car using your U.S. Bank card, you’re covered up to the cash value of the vehicle in case of accident or theft on rentals made in the United States and most foreign countries. Coverage is secondary if you have personal auto insurance, which means you’ll have to file a claim with your insurance company first. U.S. Bank will reimburse you for your insurance deductible.
The following coverage is included when using your U.S. Bank card:
- Physical damage and theft of the vehicle
- Valid loss of use charges imposed by the vehicle rental company for the period of time the rental vehicle is out of service
- Towing charges to the nearest collision repair facility
Vans, antique vehicles, and exotic vehicles like a Ferrari or Lamborghini will not be covered by this insurance. Most credit cards that include car rental insurance have similar exclusions on their coverage.
Other business travel rewards credit cards like the American Express Business Platinum Card®, offer primary coverage, meaning you don’t have to file a claim with your personal insurance company.
U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card Purchase Protection
U.S. Bank may repair or reimburse for items purchased with your U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card that are damaged or stolen within 90 days of purchase. Coverage is limited to $500 per claim, up to $50,000 per cardholder.
Purchase protection does not cover certain conditions or types of purchases, including:
- Animals and living plants
- Antiques and collectible items
- Boats, aircraft or automobiles
- Items damaged as a result of weather other than lightning, wind, hail, rain, sleet, or snow
- Items purchased for resale, professional, or commercial use
- Items that are lost or that “mysteriously disappear,” meaning that the item or items vanished in an unexplained manner without evidence of a wrongful act by a person or persons
- Items under the care and control of a common carrier, which includes the U.S. Postal Service, airplanes, or delivery service
- Items including, but not limited to, jewelry and watches from baggage unless hand-carried and under your personal supervision, or the supervision of a traveling companion whom you know
Business rewards credit cards that offer this coverage typically limit coverage to either 90 or 120 days after purchase. The U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card offers shorter coverage than the Chase Ink Business Preferred®, but the same length of coverage as the Capital One® Spark® Miles card. Exclusions here are common across small business credit cards.
U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card Extended Warranty Protection
U.S. Bank will double the manufacturer’s warranty up to an additional one year from the expiration of warranties of three years or less. An item with a six-month warranty would be backed for an additional six months, for example. The issuer will replace the item or reimburse you up to the amount charged on your U.S. Bank card up to $10,000.
The following purchases are not covered by extended warranty protection:
- Boats, automobiles, aircraft, and any other motorized vehicles
- Items purchased for resale, professional, or commercial use
- Real estate
- Rented or leased items
- Computer software
- Medical equipment
- Used or pre-owned items
The extended warranty protection is weaker than some other small business credit cards offer, including the American Express Business Gold card, which offers one additional year of warranty service on purchases with warranties of five years or less.
U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card Travel Accident Insurance
U.S. Bank will provide up to $500,000 of coverage if you die or lose a limb, sight, speech or hearing in a plane, train, ferry or cruise ship accident paid for with your U.S. Bank card. U.S. Bank will pay out the maximum coverage only in the event of death. Injuries are eligible for $125,000 to $250,000 in coverage.
The following conditions are not covered by travel accident insurance:
- Loss caused by or resulting from intentionally self-inflicted injury
- Injury sustained while riding on any aircraft as a pilot, crewmember or student pilot or as a flight instructor or examiner
- Sickness or disease
- Infections of any kind regardless of how contracted, except bacterial infections that are directly caused by an accidental cut or wound independent and in the absence of any underlying sickness
U.S. Bank offers the same loss-of-life benefit that comes with Chase Ink Business Preferred®. However, that card also offers a 24-hour death benefit if you or a covered traveler die any time during the duration of a trip of 30 days or less in which you booked airfare for your travel using your card. That coverage is limited to $100,000.
U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card Travel and Emergency Services
Visa will provide travel, emergency, medical and legal assistance 24 hours a day to the cardholder, cardholder’s spouse, or dependent child under the age of 22. Like with most small business credit cards, this is mostly a concierge service. In most cases, the cardholder is responsible for the cost of any assistance. Request help by calling from a list of toll-free numbers.
This card covers the following assistance:
- Medical referrals
- Emergency transportation assistance
- Prescription assistance
- Legal referrals
- Emergency ticket replacement
- Lost luggage locator
- Emergency translation services
This is fairly standard help for credit cards that offer travel and emergency assistance. Premium business travel rewards credit cards like the American Express Business Platinum Card® may offer a higher level of service. Use the card’s Premium Global Assist Hotline when you fall ill, and the issuer may provide a medical evacuation at no cost to the card member or covered family member.
U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card Lost Luggage Reimbursement
U.S. Bank will provide up to $3,000 per trip if your checked luggage or carry-on bags and its contents are lost “due to theft or misdirection” from the plane, train, ferry, or cruise ship you paid for with your U.S. Bank card. This benefit is supplemental to any insurance you might hold or reimbursements from the travel operator and covers the difference between the amount claimed and what you were paid.
The following items are not covered by the benefit:
- Motorized vehicles
- Contact lenses, eyeglasses, sunglasses, hearing aids, artificial teeth, dental bridges, and prosthetic limbs
- Money, securities, credit or debit cards, checks, and traveler’s checks
- Tickets, documents, keys, coins, deeds, bullion, stamps, perishables, consumables, perfume, cosmetics, rugs and carpets, animals, cameras, sporting equipment, and household furniture
- Business items, cellular telephones, or art objects
This benefit is not widely available, although it’s standard across Visa Signature® cards. Capital One® Spark® Miles offers identical coverage.
U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card Account Management Tools
The U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card also comes with a number of spending controls and protections that can help your business manage risk, including a liability waiver program that protects against card theft by terminated employees.
Enjoy the following account management tools:
- Visa Payment Controls: Individually customize each employee business credit card, allowing you to manage when, where and how your employees use their cards
- Visa Liability Waiver: Covers eligible transactions billed or made 75 days prior to or up to 14 days after you terminate an employee
- Spend Analysis Online Reporting: Makes it easier to track and monitor expenses with a chart that shows your spending information at a glance; you can also quickly monitor transactions in your top spending categories
Many small business credit cards offer ways to control employee spending, but the liability waiver is fairly unique. You should be able to find a similar benefit on other Visa Signature® credit cards.
Adding U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card Employee Cards
You may request up to 10 employee cards when you submit your application. Once approved, you can ask for more if you need them. While the account owner card is charged a $95 annual fee — free the first year — employee cards carry no annual fee. Employees can earn rewards for the master account, including up to 75,000 points during the first year of card ownership as part of the introductory offer of one bonus point per dollar spent. American Express is the only major card issuer to charge annual fees on employee cards.
What the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card is Missing
The U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card offers lower bonus rewards than other small business credit cards, which may offer up to five times the points per dollar spent in some categories. If your business incurs major expenses across a number of spending categories, you may consider a credit card that offers a flat-rate return on all spending like the American Express Blue Business® Plus, which pays two times the on all spending up to $50,000 annually.
U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card Reviews
We scoured the web for U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card reviews, which are mixed. Business owners say the ability to have employee cards earn up to 100,000 bonus points each during the first year of card ownership is a big bonus. However, the category bonuses are only worth two times the points or 2% cash back, which users say is low for a card that offers category bonuses.
How to Apply for the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card
You can apply online for the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card. To get a business credit card, fill out a basic application containing both business and personal information, and you could be approved instantly. Once you’re approved, you’ll receive your card in the mail within seven to 10 days. If you’re not instantly approved, you can check your application status on U.S. Bank’s website. If you’re rejected, consider one of the best small business credit cards for fair credit.
How to Login to Your U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card Account
Login to your U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card account on U.S. Bank’s website by providing your user ID and password. You can also contact customer service for U.S. Bank business cards at 866-485-4545.
Other U.S. Bank Business Credit Cards
U.S. Bank offers a number of small business credit cards designed for different kind of spending needs, including travel rewards and cash back. Find the card that best rewards your business’ spending.
The other U.S. Bank business credit cards include the:
- U.S. Bank FlexPerks Business Travel Rewards: This card is best for business owners who travel regularly or frequently shop at office supply stores; you’ll earn two times the FlexPoints at gas stations, office supply stores or airlines — whichever you spend most on each monthly billing cycle
- U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards Card: This card is best for owners who want to choose which bonus category offers the most rewards; you’ll earn three times the points in a spending category of your choice, including day-to-day expenses, automotive and travel and entertainment
- U.S. Bank Business Cash Rewards World Elite Mastercard: This card is best for owners who want to earn an annual reward bonus; you’ll earn a 25% annual bonus based on your prior year’s rewards, up to $250. This card pays 3% cash back on eligible cellular, gas, and office supply store purchases
- U.S. Bank Business Platinum Card: This card is best for businesses that want cheap introductory and ongoing financing; the card comes with 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 20 billing cycles and an ongoing APR as low as 9.99%
Alternatives to the U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card
Some small business credit cards may offer bonus category rewards better suited to your business. If your business has more predictable spending needs across one or more spending categories, you may want to consider a different rewards credit card.
3 Alternatives to U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card
For rates and fees on the American Express Business Platinum Card®, please click here.