It’s essential for real estate professionals to choose the right education provider to advance their careers. Whether you want to become an agent, renew your license, or enhance your career, the top online Maine real estate schools should offer the right support. We researched the most popular online real estate courses in Maine and evaluated them based on learning formats, course features, pricing, customer reviews, and our expert score to help you make the right choice.
We determined the following Maine Real Estate Commission (MREC)-approved real estate schools offer the best value:
- The Real Estate Learning Group (TRELG): Best for comprehensive real estate education for every step of your real estate career
- The CE Shop: Excellent for interactive, self-paced national exam prep
- Center for Real Estate Studies (CRES): Ideal for aspiring agents wanting a self-paced Maine prelicensing course
- Real Estate Institute of New England: Best livestream prelicensing classes with hard copy course materials
- McKissock Learning: Recommended for agents looking for affordable continuing education (CE) packages and resources
- The Real Estate Class: Top choice for licensed agents from other states looking to be licensed in Maine (ME)
Best Online Real Estate Schools in Maine at a Glance
Education Provided & Starting Price
Broker licensing: $450
Exam prep: $49
Phone, email, and online form
Exam prep: $75
Phone, email, and chat
Visit The CE Shop - Use Promo Code: FSB30 for 30% off
Broker licensing: $425
Phone, email, and online form
Broker licensing: $445
Exam prep: $99
Phone, email, and online form
Phone and email
Exam prep: $80
Phone and email
The Real Estate Learning Group: Best for Comprehensive Courses for All Stages of Your Career
If you’re looking for Maine real estate courses with live online and self-paced study options, The Real Estate Learning Group (TRELG) is your best choice. It is ranked first in our evaluation of Maine real estate schools because of the variety of learning options, thorough educational materials, study tools, and courses for every stage of your real estate career. Also, TRELG is the only real estate school in Maine to offer a Fast Track course that allows you to complete your prelicensing in as little as two weeks.
For current Maine real estate agents, TRELG offers a wide variety of continuing education (CE) course topics and even provides a code of ethics course and a professional development course for free. Many of the CE courses are uniquely offered in person and include breakfast. Prelicensing course packages include options to fit every learning style, like self-study material, audio, video, and interactive learning exercises.
Additional The Real Estate Learning Group Features
- Variety of learning formats: Courses offered through livestream, in-person workshops, self-paced online, home study, and hybrid course options.
- Instructor access: For online courses, instructors are available for questions through email. For live and in-person courses, students have multiple workshop sessions with instructors.
- Reciprocity: The exam prep course qualifies out-of-state real estate agents to get a reciprocal Maine real estate license.
- Refund policy: Clear refund policy for each type of course listed on its website, and most students are eligible for a refund within 30 days.
Although online reviews for TRELG are limited, its customer review rating is 5 out of 5. Students gave it excellent reviews, referencing the quality of course content, engaging and knowledgeable instructors, and various course options. Many prelicensing students credited TRELG for helping them pass the Maine real estate course and get their real estate license on the first try.
While there’s no negative feedback listed online, the school only allows six-month access to most of its courses. This may not be enough time for Mainers juggling work, studies, and family. If you need longer course access, you can check the Center for Real Estate Studies, where you can access courses for up to one year.
The Real Estate Learning Group primarily offers bundled packages with little room for customization. The exception to this is continuing education, which provides individual classes and no 21-hour bundles to fulfill all of the Maine requirements to renew your real estate license. However, all courses include a number of valuable features and resources.
Prelicensing: Starting at $450
- The Sales Agent Course: $450, includes self-paced materials with video, audio, case studies, and learning exercises
- Sales Agent Fast Track: $475, includes all features in the online course plus four in-person workshops
Associate Broker Licensing: $475
- Maine Associate Broker Course: $475, includes self-study materials, workbook activities, plus live meetings and workshops
Broker Licensing: Starting at $450
- Maine Broker Course: $450, includes self-study materials, workbook activities, plus live meetings and workshops
- Maine Designated Broker Course: $475, includes same features as broker and associate broker courses
Continued Education: Starting at $25
- Individual courses: $25
- Real Estate Practice in Maine CE: $99, includes 12 hours of self-paced content to enhance agents’ basic knowledge and skills
Exam Prep: Starting at $49
- Pass My Real Estate Exam: $49, includes national exam prep content, videos, audios, practice questions, and real estate math
- Maine Law Exam Prep: $99, includes approved content for Maine agents with an expired real estate license or for agents licensed in other states wanting to get a Maine license
The CE Shop: Best Self-paced Exam Prep Course
The CE Shop is well known as one of the best online real estate schools across the U.S., and it’s best for Mainers who want support when preparing for the licensing exam. It offers a real estate exam prep course called Exam Prep Edge, with interactive dashboards that gauge your competency in real time so you know which topics to prioritize.
In addition, The CE Shop also offers self-paced CE real estate courses in Maine for associate brokers and designated brokers. It uniquely provides three different 21-hour CE package options to help you renew your real estate license efficiently and affordably. You can also take individual CE courses to suit your interests, budget, and schedule.
Additional The CE Shop Features
- Online learning platform: The interactive platform has intuitive learning dashboards and is available and easy to use on all devices.
- Customer support: Contact The CE Shop by phone, email, or live chat seven days per week.
- Refund policy: The CE Shop will refund the price of any course within 30 days if you are not satisfied.
- Additional resources: Agent Essentials provides free guides, resources, and news for agents.
The CE Shop students love the interactive and easy-to-navigate platform, saying that it was easy to work through the material on various devices for a few minutes at a time. They also praised the interactive dashboards that clearly showed them which topics to continue studying. Finally, students preparing for the real estate exam also valued the unlimited practice exams.
However, there are some complaints about The CE Shop’s course access and customer support, making its customer review rating somewhat low at 3.8 out of 5. Some students noted that they passed the national portion of their exam after using The CE Shop, but failed the state portion. If you need to take state-specific prelicensing or exam prep, consider the Real Estate Institute of New England.
The CE Shop pricing structure is simple because it offers one exam prep course and multiple CE course packages. Individual CE courses are priced according to their credit hours. Overall, The CE Shop provides some of the most affordable pricing compared to other Maine real estate schools.
Continued Education: Starting at $29
- Individual courses: $29 to $55
- 21-hour ME Broker and Associate Broker CE Package (with Ethics Course): $209, includes 21 hours of core and elective courses
- 21-hour ME Designated Broker CE Package (with Ethics course): $209, includes 21 hours of core and elective courses
Exam Prep: Starting at $75
- Exam Prep Edge – Pearson VUE National Portion: $75, includes initial assessment, unlimited practice exams, and interactive dashboards
Center for Real Estate Studies: Best Self-paced Prelicensing Course
The Center for Real Estate Studies (CRES) is a local real estate school that offers CE and prelicensing for aspiring Maine agents and designated brokers. If you want to become a real estate agent but can’t attend live classes, CRES’ Maine real estate license course online is an ideal option. It provides all the necessary education in manageable modules, making it easy to digest. Students can also contact instructors at any time with topic questions.
CRES provides students with a full year of course access, while most online real estate schools in Maine provide only six months. Plus, if you’re still debating whether a real estate career is for you, CRES provides a free Start Smarter Kit. This includes a 55-page book that describes a day in the life of a Maine real estate agent, a list of interview questions, and a spreadsheet of potential income and expenses. The Smart Starter Kit even includes a free career counseling session.
Additional Center for Real Estate Studies Features
- Online course platform: Easy-to-use, self-paced course platform.
- Course access: All courses are accessible for one year.
- Real estate books: Hardcopy books to help you get a license or enhance your real estate career.
- Additional resources: Free downloadable resources and in-person career guidance.
There are a minimal number of online review for CRES, but its customer review rating is 5 out of 5. The school received positive feedback for its informative study materials and books that equipped agents with realistic expectations and valuable negotiating skills.
While the school hasn’t received negative reviews, it doesn’t offer livestream prelicensing classes or associate broker courses. If you’d prefer livestream or in-person Maine real estate classes, check out The Real Estate Learning Group or The Real Estate Institute of New England.
The Center for Real Estate Studies offers straightforward, affordable courses to help students get a real estate license. Courses are packaged for aspiring agents and designated brokers and include self-paced and live material.
- Sales Agent Online Course: $370, includes important real estate concepts, four quizzes, and two textbooks
- Option to add a hardcopy version of “Introduction to a Successful Career in Maine Real Estate”
Broker Licensing: $425
- 50-hour Designated Broker Course: $425, includes all textbooks and materials and offered in live Zoom classes
Real Estate Institute of New England: Best Livestream Prelicensing Classes
The Real Estate Institute of New England is another local school that provides online real estate classes in Maine. It offers live online prelicensing courses for aspiring agents and brokers, as well as continuing education and exam prep in various formats. It offers the most individual CE courses and professional development courses of all the Maine real estate schools we evaluated.
The Real Estate Institute of New England is ideal for aspiring Maine real estate professionals because it offers a live online class with an instructor and a home study package. The Maine real estate license online class is provided through Zoom, and you receive access to a student portal with online materials and a physical textbook. The home study package includes a hardcopy textbook, a pocket guide, and the course final exam. Ultimately, The Real Estate Institute of New England provides options that will fit the learning needs of every student.
Additional Real Estate Institute of New England Features
- Variety of CE course topics: Topics include ethics, commercial real estate, finance, foreclosures, and fair housing.
- Online and physical resources: All courses include digital and print materials, and prices include shipping.
- Refund policy: Full refund for cancellations 24 hours before class schedule.
- Reciprocity: The Maine Law Exam Prep course is approved to help agents in other states get a Maine real estate license.
The Real Estate Institute of New England has a great customer review rating of 4.6 out 5. Its positive reviews stated that the instructors were knowledgeable and friendly, and made the learning experience fun. Students enthusiastically reported that this is their go-to school because of the engaging and high-quality course material.
However, there are also comments about technical issues and difficulty reaching customer support. If you’re looking for Maine online real estate courses with highly accessible support and technical management, The CE Shop may be a better fit for your needs.
Real Estate Institute of New England offers many courses for different needs, but the pricing structure is straightforward and easy to understand. Pricing is similar to other online real estate courses in Maine and is packed with printed and online learning resources.
- Maine Sales Agent Course: $445, includes live sessions with an instructor, textbook, and digital resources
- Maine Sales Agent Home Study Course: $445, includes course materials, textbook, pocket guide, reference book, candidate handbook, and sales agent outline
Broker Licensing: $445
- Maine Associate Broker Course: $445, includes 60 hours of educational materials and live courses
Continued Education: Starting at $35
- Individual courses: $35 to $65, based on credit hours and offered through home study format
Exam Prep: $99
- Maine Law Exam Prep Course: $99, includes Maine Real Estate Principles and Practice, a study guide, and practice test questions
McKissock Learning: Best Continuing Education Packages
McKissock Learning is a nationally recognized education provider—offering a range of CE course topics for Maine real estate professionals. There are 21-hour CE packages to fulfill the state requirements to renew your real estate license. Plus, McKissock Learning is the only school to provide customizable course packages that allow you to take advantage of package pricing and hand-selecting the elective courses most relevant to your career.
Another great feature of McKissock is its CE Membership Package. The membership provides access to all of the CE courses in your state, as well as a variety of other valuable resources like a webinar library, real estate job aids and videos, and product and service discounts. Although it’s slightly more expensive than the 21-hour packages, it is ideal for agents or brokers who want the maximum support and resources to grow their careers.
Additional McKissock Learning Features
- Easy-to-use online platform: The online student dashboard is accessible on all devices.
- Refund policy: Get a full refund if you are not satisfied within 10 days of your purchase.
- Accessible customer support: Available by phone, email, and contact form, and provide support through a detailed frequently asked questions (FAQs) and user guide section.
- Course access: Individual courses and packages offer access for six months, and CE memberships provide access for one year.
The majority of McKissock students are extremely pleased with their experience, giving the school a great customer review rating of 4.5 out 5. Reviews say that course topics are interesting and explanations are thorough, with helpful tips for new and experienced agents. Students also love the easy-to-follow, self-paced lessons.
The small number of unsatisfied reviews referenced billing issues and frustration with customer support. Notably, the school doesn’t offer prelicensing or exam prep. If you’d prefer online real estate courses in Maine with options for every stage of your real estate career and more accessible customer support, consider The Real Estate Learning Group.
McKissock Learning offers some of the most competitive pricing on this list. Prices vary based on the number of hours and additional resources.
Continued Education: Starting at $34
- Individual courses: $34 to $54
- 21-hour CE Packages: $219, includes core and elective courses and customization options
- ME McKissock CE Plus Membership: $279, includes access to all Maine CE courses, coaching tools, professional development resources, informational videos, and education specialists
The Real Estate Class: Best for Maine Reciprocal Licensing Exam Prep
If you’re a licensed real estate agent from another state and want to expand your real estate career in Maine, The Real Estate Class is an ideal choice. Even though the school is physically located in New Hampshire, it offers a live, one-day reciprocal licensing exam prep course to help agents earn a Maine license. There is also a home study option if you prefer to study independently.
The Real Estate Class also offers individual CE electives and mandatory courses. These MREC-approved classes are offered in both home study and live Zoom formats. If you choose home study, you will get correspondence books and final quizzes, which are shipped to your address for free. Whether you take a livestream or home study course, you are given direct access to instructors through email, text, or phone.
Additional The Real Estate Class Features
- Reciprocal licensing courses: Earn licensing courses in Maine and New Hampshire through life, fast track, or home study course options.
- Online Student Center: Access digital course materials on any device.
- Additional resources: Real estate textbooks and Facebook group access for support.
- Technical support: Moderators available during classes to prevent and manage technical issues as well as a tutorial.
The Real Estate Class has an excellent customer review rating of 5 out of 5 for its quality real estate education and highly knowledgeable instructors who make the learning experience fun and engaging. Students also praised the school’s technical support during live online classes. Some agents particularly recommended taking the school’s CE courses.
While there are no negative reviews from students, The Real Estate Class currently doesn’t offer sales agent licensing and exam prep courses for Mainers. If you want a live prelicensing course, check out The Real Estate Institute of New England.
The Real Estate Class pricing is based primarily on individual courses. It does not offer prelicensing courses for agents, brokers, or designated brokers.
Continued Education: Starting at $30
- Individual courses: $30 to $65, based on credit hours
Exam Prep: $80
- 2023 Home Study Maine Exam Prep: $80, includes PDF resources in the student center
- Livestream Reciprocal Exam Prep: $80, includes PDF resources and a six-hour live Zoom session with an instructor
How We Evaluated the Top Maine Real Estate Schools
We analyzed many specific features of all Maine real estate schools. Our main criteria include pricing, course features, and customer reviews. We also reviewed their expertise as well as their help and support to determine the best real estate school in Maine that caters to the educational demands of agents—whatever stage they are at in their professional lifecycle.
Based on our evaluation, we recommend The Real Estate Learning Group (TRELG) to be the best overall online school in Maine because of its comprehensive courses for every stage of your career. The school also provides a variety of course formats to accommodate different learning styles. On top of these, agents who enroll at TRELG get direct access to some of the most reputable and experienced real estate agents, brokers, and lawyers in the state.
Each online real estate school in Maine has been evaluated and ranked based on the following criteria:
25% of Overall Score
Consists of various formatting and learning styles for each course to meet the specific needs of the agent as well as ease of course accessibility.
20% of Overall Score
Pricing is based on the cost and availability of pre- and post-licensing, continuing education courses, and exam prep for each online institution.
15% of Overall Score
The availability of each level of education for different stages of licensure. This would include pre- and post-licensing, continuing education courses, broker prelicensing, and exam prep.
15% of Overall Score
Extending services past licensure, such as coaching and training and career assistance. Also, whether the provider offers pass or refund guarantees for its courses.
10% of Overall Score
Based on customer feedback for each program, with particular attention given to reviews of the product and popularity of the provider, to certify the course meets user satisfaction.
10% of Overall Score
Expertise in the field and firsthand experience with the providers allow us to evaluate the standout features, value for the money, and ease of use for each school.
5% of Overall Score
We looked into the convenience and attainability of customer service for technical support and instructor assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
There are several costs associated with becoming a real estate agent in Maine. The largest is the prelicensing education, which can range from $370 to $450. You will also be required to pay for the real estate exam and application and background check fees, which are $85 and $121, respectively.
Online real estate school requirements are the same as an in-person school requirements in Maine. Aspiring agents must complete 55 hours of prelicensing education.
The time it takes to get your Maine real estate license depends entirely on the amount of time you have to devote to completing prelicensing coursework. Maine requires 55 hours of education, which can be completed in as little as a week, but for some, up to several months. After completing coursework, you must find a sponsoring brokerage, pass the exam, and submit your application, which can also take a few weeks.