TaxAct Professional Software Review: Features & Pricing
TaxAct Professional is a robust professional tax software that comes at an affordable price. It offers different pricing packages based on your needs and several add-ons that allow you to customize the software. You can also access digital marketing capabilities and facilitate client returns. TaxAct Professional offers a money-back guarantee, an accuracy guarantee, and a maximum refund guarantee. Combined with the strong customer support options, it’s an excellent choice for high-volume tax preparers.
What We Like
- Extensive support options
- Inexpensive price for unlimited returns
- Online data backup
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No tax research applications
- No pay-per-return e-filing version
- Additional fee for state returns in Professional Federal Edition
- Can be expensive if you only have a few returns to file
When to Use TaxAct Professional
- High-volume tax preparers: We ranked TaxAct Professional as the best value for preparing unlimited returns in our evaluation of the best professional tax software.
- Firms wanting a high level of support: TaxAct Professional’s support team is available via phone and email, and you’ll also have access to online resources.
- Firms needing practice management features: With TaxAct Professional, you’ll be able to use customer relationship management (CRM) tools and create automated workflows, among other features.
When to Use an Alternative
- Firms with a few returns to file: If your firm only needs to file 10 or fewer returns of different types, then it is not the most cost-effective solution. Drake Tax only charges $345.
- Firms that file complex returns: Lacerte can prepare the most complicated tax returns, such as consolidated returns and returns for oil and gas companies.
- QuickBooks Online Accountant users: ProConnect Tax is designed to serve the tax preparation function for firms centered on QuickBooks Online Accountant, and prices are based on a per-return basis with no annual fee.
If you’re unsure whether TaxAct Professional is the right tax software for you, check out our list of the best professional tax software for more options.
TaxAct Professional Deciding Factors
1040, 1041, 1065, 1120, 1120S, and 990
Starting at $150 plus $20 per e-file, or $800 for unlimited e-files
✓ (30 days)
Telephone and email
TaxAct Professional Alternatives
Best for: Businesses with a few returns to file
Best for: Companies that need to file complex returns
Best for: QuickBooks Online Accountant users
Cost: $345 for first 10 returns plus $29.99 for each additional return
Cost: Quote upon request
Cost: Pay-per-return starting at $94.95 for individual returns and $117.95 for business returns
TaxAct Professional Pricing
It offers a choice of four subscription levels, which differ in price based on whether you need one or multiple users and whether you’re filing individual returns or need business returns as well. While each package includes unlimited e-filing capabilities, fees that start at $20 per e-filing apply. It also doesn’t offer a pay-per-return plan.
TaxAct Professional’s most basic pricing plan is $150 for unlimited printed federal returns of a particular type (1040, 1041, 1120, 1120S, 1065, and 990). You can then add any needed states to your federal edition ($35 per state or $99 for all states).
Purchasing the Federal and State Edition and then paying $20 per e-file becomes very expensive for professionals e-filing many returns. The bundles below are much more cost-effective for high-volume preparers as they include unlimited e-files.
1040 Enterprise Bundle
Complete Enterprise Bundle
1040, 1041, 1065, 1120S, 1120, 990
1040, 1041, 1065, 1120S, 1120, 990
All States Included
Unlimited Return e-Filing
TaxAct Professional Features
While TaxAct Professional can handle the standard individual and business tax forms, you can’t file 5500 benefit plan returns.
- Quality guarantees: TaxAct Professional offers not only a 30-day money-back guarantee but also a $100K Accuracy Guarantee. If you discover an error in calculation, TaxAct Professional will pay out up to $100,000 to cover the error. It also provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee if you use one of its individual 1040 products to e-file your return.
- Dedicated support: TaxAct Professional offers support for all of its packages, and you can reach the support team via phone or email. Its website also offers helpful resources such as software and tax law news and a comprehensive knowledge base. There’s also a help page to troubleshoot issues.
- Virtual practice capability: Thanks to a partnership with TaxDome, TaxAct Professional can provide access to more than 20 key practice management features. These features include automated workflows, unlimited and secure file storage, a client portal, and unlimited eSignatures. You’ll also have access to customizable CRM tools.
- Powerful reports and tools: TaxAct Professional gives you access to a variety of reports and tools that will assist both you and your clients. This includes TaxTutor guidance, which provides insight into deductions, complex law changes, tips, and strategies. Other tools are what-if scenario tax calculators, custom client reporting, and depreciation and disposal summaries.
- Access to ProAdvance: All TaxAct Professional subscribers have access to ProAdvance, which is an online resource center that provides information and resources to enhance your practice.
TaxAct Professional Customer Support
TaxAct Professional is accessible via telephone and email and has several online resources. Standard telephone support hours are between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Friday, although those hours may be extended around key tax deadlines. It also provides access to a set-up and troubleshooting guide, useful articles, and training videos.
TaxAct Professional Ease of Use
One of TaxAct Professional’s strongest points is its intuitive user interface and navigation, which makes it easy to set up and use. It can also be relied upon for its accuracy with tax calculations, even providing an accuracy guarantee if any mistakes are discovered. With the many alerts that are built into the platform and an excellent customer support system, it even helps new tax preparers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is TaxAct Professional cloud-based?
It can be, as its Enterprise version lets you choose between having it as an on-site application or hosted on your existing local area network (LAN) for cloud access.
Who should use TaxAct Professional?
TaxAct Professional is a good fit for accounting firms wanting a high level of support and access to practice management features. It’s also ideal for high-volume tax preparers needing to file an unlimited number of returns.
Does TaxAct Professional have a mobile app?
No, TaxAct Professional doesn’t currently offer a mobile app.
TaxAct Professional’s powerful tools and easy access to support give you the ability to provide your clients with tailored advice. It’s the low-price leader in professional tax software for high-volume preparers without sacrificing the quality of its features, especially practice management tools and powerful reports. It’s especially cost-effective if you need to file a large number of returns and want the reassurance of a money-back guarantee.