The best rental listing sites provide essential tools for efficient rental management, such as tenant screening, listing management, and rental pricing analysis, all of which contribute to valuable property listings and easy rental property search. Moreover, they facilitate social media sharing, virtual tours, and effortless property searches, which makes property evaluations a breeze. After comprehensively assessing factors, including pricing, features, customer support, and user feedback, we’ve identified the top six rental listing sites in 2023.
- Best for pay-to-apply system for qualified applicants: Apartments.com
- Best for short-term rentals: Airbnb
- Best all-in-one platform for landlords: Realtor.com
- Best for maximum exposure for property listings: Zillow Rental Manager
- Best for easy-to-use interface: HotPads
- Best for independent landlords: Avail
Best Rental Listing Sites at a Glance
Phone and email
3% of booking subtotal
Phone and email
$25 per month
Phone and email
$29.99 flat upgrade fee to premium
$7 per unit, per month
Phone, email, and live chat
Apartments.com: Best for Pay-to-apply System for Qualified Applicants
Our Expert Opinion on Apartments.com
Apartments.com is one of the best rental listing sites that offer valuable features to landlords, such as virtual tours, rent price analysis, and SEO-optimized listings. It is also the best rental website for attracting qualified applicants due to its pay-to-apply system. This ensures that only serious applicants apply, as they must be willing to pay a fee of $29.00 plus tax for their application and screening reports, valid for 10 different listings and 30 days. However, the platform can improve its services by enhancing the user-friendliness of its mobile app.
- Virtual tours: View a property through interactive video and 3D tours.
- Rent price analytics: Compare your property to nearby listings by bedrooms, age, and size. Analyze market conditions, including days on the market and rent rates for free.
- Property expense tracker: Effectively handle property management tasks, including expense tracking, tax categorization, and receipt attachments via your computer or phone while on the go.
Apartments.com has a 4.2 out of 5 customer review rating. It stands out among users due to its extensive reach and network of partners, ensuring maximum exposure for listings. Users appreciate the outstanding customer service and the variety of apartments accommodating many big and small clients. Some users even reported that nearly all their leads came from Apartments.com, highlighting its effectiveness. Reviewers have also noted that the Yardi integration is a noteworthy feature, automating listings and minimizing vacancies.
However, like other rental listing sites, this platform has occasional invalid or expired listings, which can frustrate users. Some users find the platform less user-friendly compared to alternatives. Additionally, the availability of apartment photos can be limited, which may make it difficult for users to make decisions. Some users have reported delays in making corrections or changes to their listings, which can cause inconvenience. For a better experience editing listings, try Airbnb, which allows updating listings at any time and via mobile app.
Airbnb: Best for Short-term Rentals
Our Expert Opinion on Airbnb
Airbnb is a rental listing platform that highly values accessibility, inclusivity, host protection, and support. These values make it a great choice for landlords, resulting in an excellent rental management experience. It is the best place to list short-term rental properties as the platform focuses on day, week, and monthly rentals rather than long-term tenants. In addition, Airbnb provides articles and video series on various topics to help you meet your goals, including topics on smart pricing, becoming an inclusive host, and designing a property space. However, it can enhance its services by allowing social media sharing for more listing exposure.
- Airbnb setup: Offers one-to-one guidance from a Superhost to guide you for your first guest, either by phone, video call, or chat. You also receive access to Community Support agents who can help with everything, from account issues to billing support.
- Aircover for hosts: Protects you as a host by offering guest identity verification, reservation screening, and damage protection in case of damage caused by guests.
- Project Lighthouse: Helps uncover and address disparities in how people of color experience Airbnb by eliminating guest profile photos before booking and expanding education for hosts regarding inclusive hosting.
Airbnb has a customer rating of 4.5 out of 5. The platform receives praise for its user-friendly interface and easy navigation, with users particularly enjoying the mobile app’s usability. The platform simplifies the search process through effective search filters and convenient list or map views, making it effortless to browse and discover properties. Additionally, Airbnb facilitates seamless communication between hosts and renters, enhancing the overall user experience.
However, some users express frustration with Airbnb’s frequent app updates, which lead to the disappearance of features and increased glitches. Another issue is the delay in updating rental availability, as some listings seem available until booking is attempted. Additionally, Airbnb faces criticism for occasionally employing algorithms to raise prices when users hesitate to book, resulting in concerns about price manipulation. Multiple reviewers also expressed their frustration with Airbnb’s customer support, resulting in bad experiences with the platform. If you require better customer support, we recommend using Avail.
Realtor.com: Best for All-in-one Platform for Landlords
Our Expert Opinion on Realtor.com
Realtor.com is a real estate marketplace for buying, selling, and renting properties. It is one of the best websites for house rental sites, providing an all-in-one platform for landlords. The platform offers rental listing management services, tenant screening tools, and rent price analysis. Landlords can also access customizable lease agreement templates and online rent collection systems, making managing a rental property stress-free. However, it could improve by expanding its rental options to include short-term rentals.
- News and insights: Access the latest real estate news and trends. This also includes guides for landlords, sellers, and homebuyers.
- Landlord solutions: Provides landlords with comprehensive tools, expert guidance, and top-tier educational content to help them become confident and professional property managers.
- Virtual Learning Academy: Learn to use Realtor.com tools through webinars and on-demand educational sessions effectively.
- Essentials Toolkit: A free suite of tools to manage your Realtor.com profile, leads, listings, and performance. This includes a professional dashboard, contact and listing management, homeseller reports, task management, and notifications.
Realtor.com has a 3.6 out of 5 rating from customers. Realtor.com earns praise for its user-friendly interface, simplifying price comparisons and offering valuable insights into the market’s comparables. Users find it an excellent starting point for property searches, as it provides a clear price range for specific areas.
On the downside, some users encounter issues with the platform’s subscription auto-renewal process, with difficulty canceling subscriptions and unresponsive customer support. Additionally, reports of site crashes and bugs following new updates have affected the overall user experience. For a better user experience via the website, consider HotPads with its simple and user-friendly interface.
Zillow Rental Manager: Best for Maximum Exposure for Property Listings
Our Expert Opinion on Zillow Rental Manager
Zillow Rental Manager is the largest real estate website, making it one of the best places to list rental properties. With over 30 million monthly visitors and listings displayed on Zillow, Trulia, and HotPads, it is best for the maximum exposure and visibility it provides. Additionally, it offers pricing insights and rental tools, including tenant screening, rental application, and rent collection, which streamline rental management for landlords. However, it could enhance user experience by extending customer support hours and accessibility in various mediums.
- Rent Zestimate: Assists in pricing your rental property while providing tools for assessing comparable properties.
- Screening tools: Tenant applications and screening reports come at an additional fee of $29, which may be credited to the applicant.
- Rental lease: Create a rental lease using Zillow’s online lease builder and templates drafted in collaboration with local law firms, or upload your own lease and have your renters e-sign it.
- Virtual tours: Capture a tour within minutes with an iPhone 7 or later, and send it for free to potential renters with Zillow’s 3D home tours.
Zillow Rental Manager boasts a strong customer rating of 4.6 out of 5. Users appreciate its flexibility, allowing homeowners to seamlessly integrate their scheduling tools for added convenience. The platform’s comprehensive support, which covers listings, communication, and rental paperwork, has garnered praise. It’s also noted for being user-friendly, fostering swift and efficient communication, and ultimately reducing the stress of property leasing. Furthermore, landlords have reported successful tenant applicant searches within a short time frame.
However, users have expressed frustration over the inability to reject or archive applicants, resulting in repetitive reviews of the same applications. Additionally, there have been complaints of glitches and difficulties uploading pictures and videos. Some landlords find it limiting that the platform does not offer the option to charge an application fee, which can help reduce spam applications. If you require an application fee to ensure legitimate applications, consider Apartments.com, with its pay-to-apply system.
HotPads: Best for Easy-to-use Interface
Our Expert Opinion on HotPads
HotPads, affiliated with Zillow Group alongside Zillow and Trulia, provides a versatile rental listing solution. It stands out as the best place to list rental properties for its easy-to-use interface because of its map-based search, making it easy to compare listings. Integration with Zillow Rental Manager helps efficiently fill vacancies, screen tenants, and collect rent, all from a single platform. It is also accessible via a cloud-based mobile app. It can consider displaying listing fees on the website to further improve its services for user clarity.
- Comprehensive searching criteria: Allows you to search beyond just a specific location using the platform. For instance, you can search for “Pet-friendly Apartments.”
- Phone notifications: Receive notifications about new listings on your phone to promptly communicate with potential renters while on the go.
- Commute time calculator: Estimate the time you’ll need to reach your desired home, which can facilitate informed decision-making.
- Map-based search: HotPads gives you visibility into neighborhood amenities.
HotPads has a customer rating of 4.8 out of 5, and earns praise for its extensive selection of apartments, condos, and houses. Users find it remarkably user-friendly, as it streamlines the apartment search process with a convenient map-based interface that makes it easy to compare listings. Additionally, reviewers appreciate the detailed information in listings, covering amenities, location, and pricing, facilitating informed decisions.
Some users have reported encountering fraudulent listings or unresponsive property managers and owners, resulting in a frustrating experience. The platform also requires additional application fees, which might discourage some users. Another user faced a glitch where the photos were unavailable on both the site and the app, with a lack of guidance to troubleshoot the issue. This may cause inconvenience to users. Moreover, one user reported experiencing discrimination on the platform due to using a voucher, highlighting potential issues with fair treatment. If you’re looking for an inclusive platform, consider Airbnb as a viable alternative.
Avail: Best for Independent Landlords
Our Expert Opinion on Avail
Avail is one of the best places to list rental property, offering free subscription plans and affordable pricing per unit. With its automated reference checks and scheduling for showings and robust online rent payment system, it stands out as the best rental listing site for independent landlords. Those features streamline the rental listing and application process landlords must go through. However, it can improve its services by making the platform available through a mobile app.
- Marketing page: A webpage template that can be easily activated to allow individual landlords to showcase their portfolio of properties.
- Property management software: Helps landlords accurately track their finances, including properties’ income and operating expenses.
- Syndicated property listings: Syncs listings across multiple leading listing websites nationwide, including Zillow, HotPads, and Realtor.com.
Avail has earned a rating of 4.6 out of 5, with customers praising the platform’s user-friendly and visually pleasing dashboard. Its features provide helpful solutions for property managers, offering efficient listing, leasing, and rent collection services. Landlords and tenants also like its affordable pricing and excellent customer support. One user review of Avail noted that it provides property managers with substantial benefits, including access to high-quality leads and valuable landlord tips via its discussion board.
While most reviews of Avail are positive, there were instances where users experienced delays in receiving payments, which could be frustrating. Additionally, the communication process through email with applicants was deemed confusing by some, impacting the user experience. Some found the frequency of automated weekly emails to be annoying, ultimately leading to unsubscribing. It’s worth noting that the absence of a mobile app could be inconvenient for landlords who are frequently on the move. If you’re searching for a property management app that includes a mobile app, consider Apartments.com.
Read how our experts feel about this best home rental site in our Avail review.
How We Evaluated the Top Rental Listing Sites
After conducting a thorough evaluation of the best sites where landlords can list their rental properties and profit from their investment properties, we have identified the best one based on factors such as pricing, general features, ease of use, help and support, customer ratings, and expert score.
Apartments.com is the best website for rentals, with a rating of 4.95 out of 5. This website stands out for its extensive features, including SEO-optimized listings, property expense trackers, and virtual tours. With its pay-to-apply system, landlords can ensure applicants are serious about renting the property. The website is also known for its excellent customer service and accommodation of a wide range of rental options, both long-term and short-term.
To know more about how we evaluated the best rental listing sites, look at the criteria listed below:
40% of Overall Score
It consists of various rental listing site features like listing management, screening tools, and rent price analysis to meet the specific needs of the landlords and property managers.
25% of Overall Score
Pricing is based on the availability of a free plan, the cost-effectiveness of its subscription plans, and the costs per listing.
10% of Overall Score
Based on how easy it is to set up and operate the platform, the availability of a mobile app, and its cloud-based software.
10% of Overall Score
Based on customer feedback for each platform, with particular attention given to reviews of the product and popularity of the provider, to certify the platform meets user satisfaction.
10% of Overall Score
Expertise in the field and firsthand experience with the providers allow us to evaluate the standout features, value for the money, and ease of use of the best rental listing sites.
5% of Overall Score
We looked into the convenience and attainability of customer service for technical support, onboarding, and training.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Zillow has the biggest database, having 135 million homes. This makes Zillow the best website to start rental searches on.
To create an impressive rental listing, focus on essential elements: a clear title, detailed property description, high-quality photos, virtual tours, and floor plans. Highlight amenities, pricing, lease terms, and location, emphasizing accessibility. Clearly state your pet policy, contact info, and tenant requirements. Mention safety features and unique selling points, and craft a compelling, error-free description to attract tenants and set expectations.
You can if your availability and resources allow you to, but it’s unnecessary. Listing your vacation rental on multiple sites can boost visibility and attract diverse renters. However, managing multiple listings can be time-consuming, and some listing sites may charge booking fees or commissions, which can add to your costs. Ultimately, the decision to list on multiple sites depends on your availability and resources, as well as your goals for your vacation rental.