Buildertrend is cloud-based construction enterprise resource planning (ERP) and accounting software that helps you manage your projects, create estimates, keep track of billing, and more. Its features include customer relationship management (CRM), payment processing, bills and purchase orders (POs) management, and accounting integration. Its cheapest option costs $299 per month but is available for $99 per month for the first three months.
What We Recommend Buildertrend For
Buildertrend is great for homebuilders, remodelers, general contractors, and specialty contractors who need a single solution for CRM, accounting, project management, and service management. It is used to process single-entry estimating, bidding requests, and building proposals for presale transactions. It is also helpful for managing payment requests, purchase orders, and job costing, among others.
Buildertrend Is Especially Good For
- Construction companies that use QuickBooks Online: While Buildertrend already helps you manage your customers, jobs, and presales, its integration with QuickBooks Online also provides the tools you need to manage your finances with improved accuracy. For instance, while Buildertrend itself stores data on bills, expenses, jobs, purchase orders, invoices, and approved timesheets, QuickBooks Online will handle bill payments and track expenses not recorded in Buildertrend. If you want to consider other options for your construction business, check out our guide to the best construction accounting software.
- Construction companies that use Xero: While we recommend integrating Buildertrend with QuickBooks, it also integrates nicely with Xero. When integrated with that software, Buildertrend lets you generate customer invoices automatically from scheduled payments and approved orders, creates payables from approved purchase orders, and improves communication between owners and subcontractors.
- Construction companies needing CRM software: A built-in CRM system provides a single tool to manage contact information, service records, sales history, and more.
Buildertrend Is Not a Good Fit For
- Users preferring desktop software: If you need an accounting program that you can access without an internet connection, then Buildertrend is not for you. QuickBooks Desktop Premier’s contractor edition is a good choice for contractors wanting desktop software.
- Companies looking for the lowest cost solution: The integration of Buildertrend and either QuickBooks or Xero provides a great solution, but you’ll need to purchase a QuickBooks or Xero subscription in addition to the cost of Buildertrend.
- Companies wanting to manage equipment: Buildertrend doesn’t store, manage, or track assets and equipment information, unlike Sage 100 Contractor.
Are you looking for something different? Read our guide to the best small business accounting software and check out our top picks.
Buildertrend Pros and Cons
|Integrates with QuickBooks and Xero||Must pay a separate fee for your QuickBooks or Xero subscription|
|Includes a built-in CRM system||Cannot manage and track equipment|
|Powerful time clock feature||Requires an internet connection|
|Includes one-on-one coaching||Processing change orders requires the Pro subscription|
Buildertrend offers three plans with regular prices starting at $299 per month. Occasionally, it offers special prices, such as its Core and Pro plans for $99 and $299 per month, respectively, for the first three months. You can cancel your subscription within your first 30 days with a full money-back guarantee.
Pricing & Features
$299 per month
$499 per month
Bills and POs Management
The Core plan includes the following features: scheduling, budget management, daily logs, lead management, invoices, custom branding, messaging, comments, estimating, QuickBooks and Xero integration, photos, videos, documents, a time clock, client portal, and portal for subcontractors:
Pro includes all of the features in Core as well as change orders management, simplified communication choices, warranty management, online surveys, bid requests, bills and POs management, and request for information (RFI) management.
The Premium plan is customized to your unique needs. If you are interested in this option, then you must contact the provider for a quote.
Buildertrend combines project management, accounting, financial management, and presale management in a single platform. After logging in, its dashboard gives you quick access to all of its programs and features. Below is your default Buildertrend dashboard:
Create line-item invoices based on your billing preference—whether you prefer progress billing, invoicing off estimates, or billing it from your selection sheet. For easy invoice creation, you may use its readily available templates.
What makes Buildertrend unique from other programs is that it doesn’t have its own accounting software. Instead, it integrates with your favorite accounting software like QuickBooks and Xero.
From tracking leads to post-build reviews, Buildertrend has CRM features to help you manage your existing and potential customers seamlessly. It allows you to request a client’s digital signature, keep messages, comments, emails, and job-specific information in one place, and enable your customers to track their projects in real-time.
Its built-in time tracking system includes a geofencing feature that alerts the supervisor when a crew enters the identified geofence zone. When the crew leaves the zone, the time clock stops recording the time, allowing the supervisor to track the employee even without clocking in or out. It also has GPS location tracking for more accurate tracking of remote and on-site employees.
Buildertrend has an online portal that enables your clients to see invoices and details of their project.
Enjoy the convenience of accepting online payments through checks and credit cards.
Buildertrend makes it easy to build, send, and store bids as well as deliver customized proposals to your leads.
The Buildertrend mobile application lets you manage your projects and finances using your mobile device. You can download the app from Google Play or the App Store.
Customer Service and Ease of Use
Buildertrend has a simple and logical user interface that is easy to navigate, even for new users. It includes a handy menu at the top so that you can navigate through important features like Sales, Financials, Project Management, Files, Messaging, and Reports. The report insights are laid out well and can be viewed instantly with a few clicks of a button, showing breakdowns of job logs, estimated cost vs actual cost, sales leads, and other essential metrics.
Buildertrend comes with a dedicated team to provide you unlimited support and one-on-one coaching during onboarding. There are also learning resources available, such as videos, written tutorials, frequently asked questions (FAQs), and live webinars. You can contact Buildertrend through chat or over the phone.
Best for: Mobile tracking of job costs for a low price
Best for: Small contractors looking for an affordable solution with basic ERP features
Best for: Businesses looking for a low-cost option to track costs by job with powerful reporting capabilities
Software from: $70 per month
Software from: $99 per month
Software from: $499.99 per year
If you’re looking for a flexible solution that combines cost accounting, project management, and CRM in one place, then Buildertrend is for you. It has an intuitive dashboard and some nice features, such as a mobile app that allows your employees to clock in and out directly from the job site.
Its major drawback is that it’s a bit expensive since you have to pay a separate fee for your QuickBooks or Xero subscription. However, if you can handle the price, you can try Buildertrend with a 30-day money-back guarantee.