This article is part of a larger series on Accounting Software.
Dext Prepare is a business management software that features receipt scanning, expense reporting, and bookkeeping and analytic tools. It integrates with popular accounting software like Xero, QuickBooks, and Sage Accounting. Especially intended for accountants and bookkeepers, interested users can get Dext Prepare, starting at $25 per month.
Did You Know?
On February 23, 2021, CEO Adrian Blair announced in its Next Generation Event that the company will now be Dext and its flagship product Receipt Bank will be called Dext Prepare. With the increase of users due to the pandemic, Dext intends to release five products for accountants and bookkeeping partners.
What We Recommend Dext Prepare for
We recommend Dext Prepare for businesses that process a considerable number of receipts per month. With its receipt scanning and item extraction features, it can reduce your workload and automatically record receipts with all important data encoded automatically. Moreover, accountants and bookkeepers will love Dext Prepare because it makes receipt processing easy as Dext Prepare can publish receipts directly into major accounting software.
Dext Prepare Is Especially Good for
- Accountants and bookkeepers: Dext Prepare has Partner Accounts especially built for accountants and bookkeepers. These Partner Accounts allow them to create multiple accounts for their clients and manage them in a single space. Clients can also submit invoices, receipts, and other financial documents straight to their accounts, making Dext Prepare one of our best receipt scanner apps.
- Business owners: For solopreneurs and manager-owners, Dext Prepare can save you hours of clerical work. You can snap receipts and upload them to Dext and save hours of data entry with line item extractions.
- Users of major accounting software: Dext Prepare is software dedicated to accountants and bookkeepers. It aims to make accounting work easy because Dext Prepare can integrate with Xero, Sage Accounting, and QuickBooks, our best small business accounting software.
Dext Prepare Is Not a Good Fit for
- Companies needing to manage employee expense reimbursements: Dext Prepare can record receipts but it cannot manage reimbursements. Zoho Expense is a great alternative because you can reimburse employees directly via manual reimbursement or bank card.
- Companies that want assistance scanning receipts: Manual scanning of receipts takes time. If you have that burden in your workplace, you might want to go with Shoeboxed. This software also has receipts scanning features and outsourcing options. Through Shoeboxed’s MagicEnvelope, you can outsource receipt scanning to them and wait for your receipts to be uploaded to your account.
- Companies looking for a receipt scanner within accounting software: Paying for separate software for receipt scanning and accounting can be expensive. Instead, you can go with QuickBooks Online, which is complete accounting software that includes receipt scanning and expense tracking features.
Dext Prepare Pros and Cons
|Line item extractions from documents||Expensive pricing plans|
|Clean user interface||No built-in cloud storage|
|Many ways to add documents||Not a full accounting softwar|
|Classify documents as to cost, sales, or bank|
Dext Prepare Pricing
Dext Prepare, formerly known as Receipt Bank, offers three pricing plans available for monthly or annual billing. You can save up to 20% if you choose the annual billing option.
Monthly Price If Billed Monthly
Monthly Price If Billed Annually
Number of Users
Number of Documents Per Month
Number of Bank Statement Extractions
Extract Information From Documents
Collect Bills & Invoices Automatically
Connect With Major Accounting Software
Export Data Into PDF or CSV Files
Publish Bills & Invoices to Accounting Software
Supplier & Customer Rules
Connect With Secondary Software
Check for Missing Items
Track Unpaid Invoices
Purchase Order (PO) Matching
Line Item Extraction From Receipts
Prioritize Urgent Items
Create Automated Expense Reports
Dext Prepare Features
Dext Prepare offers features that can help businesses and accountants manage their books conveniently. Let’s look at Dext Prepare’s most notable features.
Dext Prepare’s workspace is clean and easily understandable and isn’t intimidating for first-time users. Its tabular-style format is neat and doesn’t look cramped, making it easy to read. You can also reorder the items by user, date, supplier, category, and total.
The toolbar is a recent addition to Dext Prepare’s user experience redesign. It includes new buttons for easy access and use.
1. Publish: All checked items will be published to the accounting software integrated with Dext Prepare.
2. Archive: All published, downloaded, or processed items will be transferred to the Archive page, where they’ll be stored permanently.
3. Add To Expense Report: Selected items can be included in an expense report that Dext Prepare can generate.
4. Tools: Click to access other tools like bulk edit, export, convert to sale, clear publishing data, flag, unflag, and delete.
5. Search Bar: Search for items in your system through Advanced Search where you can look specifically for particular items based on certain categories.
6. Filters: It can help you see specific items that match the categories. You can check several categories to narrow down your search.
7. Table Settings: You can edit your workspace through the table settings. You can add or remove columns based on the following categories:
- Invoice number
- Base total
- Due Date
- Item ID
8. Vertical Menu Button: You can see additional features here like the Outstanding Paperwork function. This function is available in Dext Streamline and Optimize Partner.
There are several ways to add documents on Dext Prepare. You add through the following:
- Upload from computer: Upload directly from your computer or use the drag-and-drop feature for ease of use
- Collect directly from suppliers: By establishing a Fetch Connection in the Connections tab, Fetch will collect documents automatically from authorized suppliers and post them on Dext Prepare within 48 hours
- Send through email: Send documents using your Dext Prepare email
- Dropbox: By establishing a Dropbox Connection in the Connections tab, Dext Prepare will have a dedicated folder on your Dropbox account; upload any file and it’ll upload it to your Dext Prepare account automatically
- PayPal: By establishing a PayPal Connection in the Connections tab, Dext Prepare will check your PayPal account for payments and automatic payments automatically at 24-hour intervals
When adding documents, you can immediately classify them into three major categories: Costs, Sales, and Bank. Use the Costs panel to add bills, receipts, and purchase invoices. For sales invoices, use the Sales panel. All of your bank statements go to the Bank panel.
Effortless Expense Reports
Dext Prepare can generate expense reports automatically with the Effortless Expense Reports feature. With this feature, you have the option to choose weekly, bimonthly, or monthly as the period of reporting.
When you activate this feature, you need to select employees that you want to have the Effortless Expense Reports feature on their account. Dext Prepare recommends that only employees submitting expense items should use this feature.
Once you’ve uploaded documents to Dext Prepare, the software’s automatic extraction will gather all the necessary information. Dext Prepare can extract the following information:
- Original document image
- Type of document, including receipt, sales invoice, and credit note
- Document date
- Total amount paid or due
- Tax amount
- Invoice number
- Payment method
Dext Prepare Alternatives
Best for: Managing employee reimbursements
Best for: Outsourcing physical receipt processing and IRS-ready digital scans
Best for: Combination of accounting software and receipt scanning
Starting from free for 3 users or $5 for unlimited users
Starting from $29 to $89
Starting from $15 to $180
Dext Prepare shows promising features that can compete with its direct competitors. Moreover, we find Dext Prepare―formerly known as Receipt Bank―as a suitable app for any business. Dext Prepare is best suited for small businesses since it provides a convenient way for them and their accountant to upload invoices and receipts. With Dext expanding into different software solutions in the near future, we’re excited to see how Dext will interconnect software products.