This article is part of a larger series on Accounting Software.
Small and midsize companies that conduct business in cryptocurrency, such as accepting crypto from customers or paying vendors with crypto, face some very challenging and unique tax and accounting requirements. Cryptocurrency isn’t treated as a true currency in the United States but, rather, as an investment asset. Therefore, every time your business spends crypto you must recognize a gain or loss. You’ll need specialized software and services to track gains and losses on crypto spent while also recording the expense paid for with crypto.
Tip: Many popular accounting programs have the option to record transactions in multiple fiat currencies, such as US dollars (USD), euros, and Canadian dollars (CAD). You cannot use this function to account for Cryptocurrency because it isn’t considered a fiat currency. Treating crypto as a fiat currency will result in a misstatement of your US tax liability and likely result in penalties. Crypto compliance has become a major focus of the IRS.
Here are a few recommendations for the best cryptocurrency accounting software:
- SoftLedger: Best all-in-one cryptocurrency accounting software for small to midsize businesses (SMBs) conducting business with crypto
- Bitcoin Sync by Blockpath: Best bitcoin integration for QuickBooks Online users
- Gilded: Best cryptocurrency QuickBooks integration for businesses using the Coinbase exchange
- Cryptio: Best cryptocurrency integration for Xero Accounting users
- Cryptoworth: Best cryptocurrency accounting software for in-depth portfolio analysis
Tip: Businesses that simply want to accept cryptocurrency as payment can avoid the accounting headache and risks of holding crypto by using a payment processor that immediately converts the crypto collected from your customers into cash. Learn how to accept crypto and bitcoin.
How We Evaluated Best Cryptocurrency Accounting Software
To be included in our guide, the software must not only track gains and losses due to receiving and spending crypto, but it must also contain or integrate with a full double-entry bookkeeping system capable of sending invoices, managing bills, tracking revenue and expenses, and printing financial statements. Bonus points were awarded for software that offers a companion mobile app, excellent customer service, and in-depth portfolio analysis.
SoftLedger: Best All-in-One Cryptocurrency Accounting Software
If your SMB conducts business using cryptocurrency, then you need a fully customizable accounting solution that can handle cryptocurrency transactions. SoftLedger’s cryptocurrency accounting feature enables you to track and manage crypto-related transactions, and you can connect your crypto wallet directly into the software like a bank feed.
We selected SoftLedger as the best for consolidating entities with cryptocurrency transactions in our evaluation of the best multicompany accounting choices.
- Crypto asset management: SoftLedger’s multiple dimensions and custom crypto asset management enables you to incorporate crypto transactions easily into your financials―in any jurisdiction. You can import crypto data from any source, manage multiple wallets and entities, and access consolidated reporting in fiat or crypto.
- Reporting: Detailed transactional accounting and reporting are available, which allows you to track your crypto transactions at scale automatically. When you transfer between multiple wallets and exchanges, cost basis will be tracked automatically. You can drill into reports quickly to view transactions in real-time.
- Consolidated accounting: If you’re operating through a group of parent and subsidiary corporations, SoftLedger will allow you to merge all of your transactions and generate a single set of consolidated reports across subsidiaries and segments.
- General ledger (GL): All transactions are posted to the GL, which allows for streamlined financial reporting and management. The general provides insight into real-time financials, which allows you to make crucial business decisions. You can view it in either Summary or Detail modes.
- Inventory management: SoftLedger’s inventory management feature allows you to set up and track sales orders and inventory costs. You can track your stock in real-time, adjust quantities and costs as needed, and send purchase orders to vendors.
Our Expert Opinion
SoftLedger is a cloud-based accounting system for SMBs that enables you to manage and track crypto gains and losses, live market rates, and tax and reporting requirements. It also uses an open application programming interface (API) that allows business owners, accountants, and developers to build the exact functionality that’s needed. While SoftLedger is expensive, if you’re conducting business in cryptocurrency, it’s the best accounting system available. However, if you can’t afford Softledger, there are other good options available in this guide.
Bitcoin Sync by Blockpath: Best Bitcoin Integration for QuickBooks Online Users
Bitcoin Sync by Blockpath is an integration that allows you to connect your QuickBooks Online account and sync your bitcoin transactions and capital gains reports into QuickBooks automatically. You can assign each of your bitcoin addresses to a QuickBooks account to organize transactions and view the cumulative balance and value in your home currency with current exchange rates synced with QuickBooks each day. A reconciliation tool that compares QuickBooks data against actual blockchain data will ensure that your accounts are accurate.
- Tax Prep tool: Bitcoin Sync’s Tax Prep tool provides year-end reporting with support for exchange trades and PDF/XLSX reporting. Your first-in, first-out (FIFO) capital gains will be calculated from incoming and outgoing transactions and imported into QuickBooks automatically, giving you a live view of your tax obligations.
- Customization of crypto transactions: You can manually set the QuickBooks customer, tax code, memo, and transaction type, or you can create a rule to set them automatically. You can also view bitcoin transactions as an invoice-style document and attach notes and customers to your payments.
- Automation: Bitcoin Sync creates accounts in your chart of accounts for each bitcoin address. Transactions are created in the account automatically when they occur, with the exchange rate attached. For outgoing transactions, the app also records the capital gain or loss in an income account.
- Reconciliation tools: You can use the reconciliation tools to view every transaction on the blockchain and within QuickBooks and can repair any discrepancies quickly. With auto-reconciliation, you can scan all QuickBooks account balances and transactions with one click and compare them with actual blockchain data.
- Contact book: Import your customers from QuickBooks, assign their names to bitcoin addresses, and link their payments to the customer records within QuickBooks for accurate customer tracking
Our Expert Opinion
With Bitcoin Sync by Blockpath, your data will be sourced directly from the blockchain and documented in QuickBooks Online. Capital gains and exchange rates are attached to every transaction allowing you to see your complete financial picture within QuickBooks. The automatic reconciliation and repair tools will ensure that your books are accurate.
Gilded: Best Cryptocurrency QuickBooks Integration for Using the Coinbase Exchange
Gilded is a cloud-based software that syncs crypto transactions to QuickBooks Online, allowing you to view all of your transactions in one place, send and receive crypto invoices, customize how crypto transactions are mapped to your chart of accounts, and view spot pricing in real-time. You can also aggregate transactions from bitcoin and ethereum wallets along with leading crypto exchanges.
- QuickBooks compatibility: Gilded Premium users can sync all of their transactions to QuickBooks and reconcile them using a powerful dashboard. With this integration, you can map crypto addresses to the people and businesses that you interact with. Transactions can be classified as income, expenses, trades, and transfers.
- Crypto bill pay: Gilded allows you to accept both credit cards and crypto payments in one place with its noncustodial invoicing solution. Gilded supports both accounts receivable (A/R) and accounts payable (A/P) workflows and triple-entry accounting using Request Network.
- Compass: Gilded’s crypto accounting system, Compass lets you define rules for how crypto transactions are mapped to different accounts based on the counter-party and/or wallet. As new rules are created, it automates your reconciliation process increasingly.
- Crypto invoicing: An advanced invoicing and payment portal that’s powered by blockchain, Crypto Invoicing allows you to send invoices with an advanced scheduling option. You also can automate recurring invoices for subscription billing. Payments are detected in the memory pool (mempool) and reconciled automatically.
- Crypto mass pay: If you pay your employees in bitcoin or give bitcoin bonuses, then BTC Mass Pay is a good option. You can send bitcoin payments to up to 500 addresses in one batch transaction, and the tool updates each recipient with an email.
Our Expert Opinion
Gilded seamlessly integrates with QuickBooks Online to simplify bookkeeping for businesses that use cryptocurrency. The addition of Compass allows for even more functionality as Gilded users can control how transactions are mapped to different accounts within QuickBooks Online based on the counter-party and/or wallet. The addition of bill pay and invoicing also helps to streamline the accounting process.
Cryptio: Best Cryptocurrency Integration for Xero Accounting Users
Cryptio lets you track all of your transactions from your wallets, crypto payment tools, exchanges, or custodians, and translate the data into records that are connected to your accounting software. Connecting your Xero account to Cryptio allows you to pull the chart of accounts directly from Xero. You can map your chart of accounts to your Cryptio transaction history, synchronize transactions, and export manual journals to Xero.
- Historical crypto-to-fiat valuation: The crypto-to-fiat valuation system provides complete transaction information, including exchange and time. Prices are sourced directly from exchanges at the exact time of the transaction.
- Dashboard: Cryptio’s dashboard provides real-time insights into which trades you should make to increase your tax refund. You can also export a cost basis report and send it to your tax advisor. Additional capabilities include tracking transaction history, reporting historical balances, and exporting ledger entries.
- Transaction labeling: You can categorize and resolve transactions at scale and set rules to assign your transactions automatically to the correct account. Cryptio also allows you to identify the counter-parties of your transactions.
- Robust reporting: Cryptio’s powerful reporting capabilities allow you to access all of the data you need to meet your accounting, audit, tax, and other financial reporting requirements. Reports include cost basis reports―FIFO and weighted average cost (WAC)―inventory tracking, and unrealized gains and losses tracking.
- 24/7 customer support: With Cryptio, you have access to 24/7 support and dedicated customer success teams. You also have access to a community of CFOs, accountants, and auditors. Educational resources and events are offered so that you can stay on top of regulations.
Our Expert Opinion
Cryptio is a feature-rich tool that automates crypto accounting and optimizes bookkeeping tasks, saving significant time and resources. It can convert digital asset data into accounting data accurately to stay on top of your cryptocurrency business, and its ability to connect to crypto wallets, exchanges, and custody solutions makes it an excellent choice, especially for Xero users.
Cryptoworth: Best Cryptocurrency Accounting Software for In-depth Portfolio Analysis
Starting at only $39 per month for a micro-business, Cryptoworth can scale up to a much larger company easily for only $199 per month, making it a great choice for companies just getting started in dealing with Crypto. Cryptoworth provides portfolio management and an accounting platform in one solution. The platform allows users to integrate their exchange accounts and wallets easily for the purpose of monitoring their assets on one interface. What sets Cryptoworth apart from other cryptocurrency monitoring platforms is that it provides the tools necessary for in-depth portfolio analysis while customizable charts and graphs organize the data in such a way that it showcases the portfolio’s performance history.
- Invoicing and billing: Cryptoworth allows you to send and receive crypto invoices and bills. You can receive payment in crypto in a few clicks while you control the wallets completely, and also attach bills and invoices to transactions.
- Scalability: Cryptoworth offers scalability from individual levels to enterprise levels so that you don’t have to change software to meet the needs of growing cryptocurrency businesses. It’s connected to data points across the entire crypto ecosystem, enabling you to track millions of transactions and calculate cost basis as well as capital gains and losses.
- Cryptocurrency Asset Management Platform (CAP): The CAP is an intuitive crypto portfolio tracker, tax, and accounting module that serves to connect wallets and exchanges, synchronize transactions, and calculate taxes, among other things.
- Connectivity: Cryptoworth enables you to connect to blockchains, exchanges, DeFi protocols, custodians, NFT marketplaces, and traditional banks. It also offers transaction reconciliation and auditing and cost-based analysis.
- Strong security: Cryptoworth’s platform provides enhanced security features such as two-factor authentication to secure your financial data. Connections are also maintained through read-only data streams.
Our Expert Opinion
Cryptoworth is an excellent tool for crypto businesses that provides the ultimate solution for crypto tax and accounting. It’s user-friendly and methodical, with a dashboard that shows a portfolio breakdown of all types of coins. It allows users to fully analyze a transaction and view internal reviews of each one. Cryptoworth’s CAP is an important module that streamlines your cryptocurrency and taxation processes.
With the exponential global growth of the crypto market, selecting the best cryptocurrency software for both novice and advanced crypto traders will help to streamline processes and save you time when taxes are due. From exchange and custody solutions to payment apps and mining software, we have recommended the best options for you.