With more healthcare providers taking their consultations online, doctors, front-line workers, and patients need reliable video conferencing systems. However, due to data privacy and confidentiality, the best software solutions must strictly comply with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). It’s a federal law requiring businesses to protect patient health information from being shared without the patient’s knowledge or permission.
HIPAA compliance isn’t just for in-office visits and emails, though. It extends to protect virtual meetings between patients and healthcare professionals, whether they’re held over phone calls, video conferencing, or messaging. We reviewed the top video conferencing solutions on the market to find the six best HIPAA-compliant video conferencing systems.
HIPAA-compliant Video Conferencing Software
(Best Overall) Businesses big and small that need a reliable, scalable solution that's jam-packed with all the essential video-conferencing features
Starts at $200 per account, per month
Individual practitioners or small practices that want a low-cost solution with unlimited meetings and no time limits
Starts at $14 per organizer, per month
Healthcare providers looking for an all-in-one communications package that supports video, text, chat, and more
From $29.99 to $59.99 per user, per month
Physicians who want a sleek, modern, and easy-to-use app that facilitates everything from video conferencing to payments to prescriptions
Prices available upon request
Healthcare practices that want a secure, brand-building experience that's simple for patients to use
Free, and paid plans start at $35 per month
Healthcare providers that want a patient-first solution with robust features and integrations
Free, and paid plans start at $49 per provider, per month
How We Evaluated HIPAA-compliant Video Conferencing Systems
HIPAA-compliant video conferencing solutions make patient privacy and confidentiality their number one priority. The best systems don’t stop at the minimum safety standards—instead, they go above and beyond to provide layers of security for both providers and patients. These systems must build the necessary privacy standards on top of robust video conferencing software that’s easy to use, affordable, and accessible.
We kept the following criteria in mind to help us identify the best video conferencing systems:
- HIPAA-compliant: It must meet the minimum necessary standard of the HIPAA Privacy Rule—if not, it doesn’t make the list.
- Price: It needs to have affordable options for individuals and small practices.
- Features: It must have robust features that enhance video consultations for both the provider and the patient.
- Ease of use: Patients and providers should have no problems setting up and using the software.
- Accessibility: Both parties should be able to access the video conferencing software from their preferred operating system, browser, or mobile device.
- Security: Meetings should be password protected and provide two-factor authentication (2FA) to protect providers and patients.
Zoom for Healthcare stands above the rest as the best overall choice for HIPAA-compliant video conferencing systems. Whether you’re a solo practitioner or a large enterprise, it provides top-notch video experiences for doctors and patients alike. With collaboration capabilities, medical integrations, easy-to-use interfaces, and scalable pricing, Zoom for Healthcare should be on the top of your consideration list.
Zoom for Healthcare: Best Overall HIPAA-compliant Video Conferencing System
Zoom for Healthcare takes Zoom’s popular video conferencing solution and adds HIPAA compliance and security features to make it the perfect solution for the healthcare industry. It delivers on its core video product while also adding healthcare specialties like medical device integrations, collaboration features, patient waiting rooms, file sharing, transcripts, and more.
While Zoom for Healthcare doesn’t offer some of the patient management tools other competitors have, it provides a first-rate video conferencing solution that healthcare providers can trust.
Zoom for Healthcare Strengths
Zoom for Healthcare Weaknesses
Strong feature set that improves provider's ability to help patients virtually
Users must use third-party integrations for scheduling, billing, and patient management
Medical device integrations to let doctors treat patients from afar
Free version isn't HIPAA-compliant
High-quality video, even in areas with low bandwidth
Zoom for Healthcare Pricing
- HIPA/PIPEDA-enabled plans: Start at $200 per account, per month for 10 hosts
- Prepaid packages: One-, two-, and three-year prepaid packages are available to discuss with sales
Zoom for Healthcare Features
- Medical device integrations: Integrate Zoom with digital stethoscopes, far-end camera control, patient’s electronic health records (EHR), and more.
- Enhanced collaboration: Invite additional doctors and specialists onto the video call to collaborate with shared screens and real-time notations.
- Consistent, high-quality video: Enjoy high-quality video, even if your network isn’t the strongest.
For more information on Zoom and its features that can help your healthcare practice succeed, go to our Zoom reviews page.
GoToMeeting: Best Low-cost Solution for Unlimited Meetings & No Time Limits
GoToMeeting is a video conferencing platform that provides a simple, user-friendly interface. It offers all the features you’ll need while retaining its easy-to-use simplicity. Every paid plan comes with unlimited meetings and zero time limits, but you’ll need to pay extra for some of the more advanced features. GoToMeeting’s access codes, invite-only restrictions, meeting locks, and terminate-at-will features make it one of the most secure solutions. And unlike other video conferencing tools, all three of GoToMeeting’s plans are HIPAA-compliant—not just one.
Top-notch security features
Advanced features like cloud recording and note taking only available on premium plans
Unlimited meetings and no time limits
Limited screen-sharing functionality
HIPAA-compliance on all price plans
- Professional: $14 per organizer, per month with 150 participants
- Business: $19 per organizer, per month with 250 participants
- Enterprise: Can accommodate up to 3,000 participants; those interested may contact sales for a quote
- Extensive security: Hosts can lock meetings, terminate sessions, and provide unique access codes to invite-only participants.
- Built-in messaging: Chat with participants before, during, and after meetings.
- Unlimited cloud recording: Record your meetings and store them locally or in the cloud (for up to one year in the cloud).
RingCentral: Best All-in-One Communications Package
RingCentral is a HIPAA-compliant video conferencing tool that empowers staff and patients to connect using video meetings, text, chat, and phone calls all through a single app. Beyond being a unified communications platform, RingCentral provides high-end patient management features like appointment booking, reminders, follow-up notifications, and file sharing.
RingCentral is perfect for healthcare providers who want to consolidate their software solutions. Video conferencing is the heart of RingCentral, but its broad patient management features and messaging capabilities make it the complete communications package.
Free plan isn't HIPAA-compliant
Full range of communication channels
Messaging and patient management features may be overwhelming
Built-in patient management tools
- Essentials: $29.99 per user, per month with up to 20 users and 100 toll-free minutes
- Standard: $34.99 per user, per month with unlimited users and 1,000 toll-free minutes
- Premium: $44.99 per user, per month with unlimited users and 2,500 toll-free minutes
- Ultimate: $59.99 per user, per month with unlimited users and 10,000 toll-free minutes
* Pricing shown is for RingCentral MVP’s unified communications platform.
In addition, from now through December 31, 2020, RingCentral is offering 25% off on all new subscription plans, as well as two months of free service. Check out RingCentral’s website today for more information.
- Patient management: Manage everything from appointments to reminders to file sharing, all within RingCentral.
- Communications suite: Use video, text, chat, or phone to message your patients.
- File annotation tool: Make virtual notes during the appointment to share with your patient, and then use RingCentral to store (and send to other medical professionals, if necessary).
Medici: Best for Practitioners Who Want a Sleek, Modern, Easy-to-Use App
Medici empowers providers with a HIPAA-compliant mobile telehealth solution that takes healthcare entirely online. The mobile app features everything from video conferencing to messaging to prescriptions and billing.
Medici gives doctors and patients a one-stop shop for all their healthcare needs, and it’s all bundled in a stylish, user-friendly app. Whether you’re on Android or iOS, Medici lets you securely connect with your patients from your office, home, or the open road.
Easy-to-use interface for patients and providers
Pricing not readily available
Video conferencing, patient management, and communications are all in a single app
Has desktop functionality, but the app is mobile-first
Advanced chat features
- Basic: Does not include video calls
- Professional: Includes video calls, patient management tools, and other advanced features
- Practice: Includes all professional features, as well as a Premium Success Manager, guided setup, and team-patient assignments
Contact Medici to get detailed pricing information.
- ePrescribe: Prescribe medications to your patients during patient consultations.
- Chat translate: Overcome language barriers with real-time translations for over 20 languages.
- Colleague connect: Collaborate with other professionals within Medici with multiperson conversations.
- Analytics tracking: Track your business’ success with built-in revenue dashboards and customized reports.
Doxy.me: Best for Providers Who Want a Supportive, Brand-centric Experience
Doxy.me is a cloud-based HIPAA-compliant video conferencing tool that goes over the top to provide first-rate patient experiences. From no-download-required software to personalized virtual waiting rooms, Doxy.me makes virtual healthcare pleasant and straightforward. Plus, Doxy.me’s Free Forever plan gives you all the basic functionality you need to try before you buy—and you may find you never need to upgrade.
All 3 plans (even the free plan) are HIPAA-compliant
Expensive for multiprovider plans
Browser-based virtual meetings that make connecting simple
Not the most reliable video and audio connections
Extensive personalization features allow your brand to shine
- Free: Enjoy unlimited minutes and sessions on low-definition-only videos
- Professional: $35 per month for individual providers; subscribers have an option to enable HD calls
- Clinic: $50 per provider, per month plus $300 one-time setup fee; includes additional custom branding and user interface (UI) modifications
- No downloads: Doxy.me is a browser-based solution—meaning no downloads, no plugins, and nothing to install.
- Waiting room: Create custom-branded virtual waiting rooms with pictures, videos, text, and more to keep your patients informed and entertained while they wait.
- Live chat: Communicate with your patients by text, even if you’re on a call with a different patient—allowing you to handle urgent conversations and emergencies all within Doxy.me.
VSee: Best for Providers Looking for a Patient-first Solution
VSee provides a video communications and management tool that takes the headache out of healthcare for your patients—literally. With easy-to-use video conferencing, device integrations, customized intake forms, and walk-in telemedicine appointments, VSee makes it downright simple for your patients to access help.
Healthcare providers who want to ease their patients’ burden while providing more efficient services will love VSee’s robust patient-focused features.
User-friendly workflows for patients and providers
Expensive plans to get advanced features
Secure, low-bandwidth video chat that works over 3G networks
Occasional call lag and freezing
Advanced features like peripheral streaming, PTZ camera control, and more
- Free Messenger: Free plan provides basic features like group video, screen sharing (limited to one per day), and file sharing
- Pro Messenger: $49 per provider, per month, which includes intake and telemedicine consent forms, unlimited small group video calls, online appointments, and more
- Peripheral Streaming: $299 per account, per month with advanced features like peripheral streaming and remote PTZ camera control
- Device integrations: VSee works with devices like Fitbit, wireless scales, and blood pressure monitors.
- Patient self-scheduling: Patients can do walk-in appointments or schedule upcoming appointments on their own.
- Peripheral streaming: Providers can analyze EKG, ultrasound, and otoscope images while simultaneously seeing and talking with their patients.
HIPAA-compliant video conferencing systems improve the way healthcare providers deliver telemedicine to their patients. The best solutions go above and beyond reliable, high-quality video—they provide top-notch security and easy-to-use functionality, all bundled together under an affordable price tag.