What We Recommend TaxWorkFlow For
TaxWorkFlow is a great solution for tax firms and professionals who want to streamline their operations with the speed of desktop software and the data storage capacity of a cloud-based app. TaxWorkFlow also improves client-facing communications with its robust CRM system. We selected TaxWorkFlow as one of our picks for the best accounting practice management software, particularly for tax firms that need unique features like the ability to set up email marketing campaigns.
TaxWorkFlow Is Especially Good For
- Tax and accounting firms seeking a hybrid desktop/cloud solution: One thing that makes TaxWorkFlow unique from other similar software solutions is that it uses a native Windows interface with the option to store your data in the cloud or in-house. This means you can work on your data with the usability and speed of desktop software while having online access to your data.
- Accounting firms seeking an effective CRM system: TaxWorkFlow organizes client contacts, documents, emails, notes, tasks, projects, and billings for each client, providing you with an immediate snapshot of their status, pending tasks or problems, and historical records.
- Accounting firms that need assistance with staff management: TaxWorkFlow uses templates to automate the tasks involved in a project, and you can assign these tasks to your employees. The software micromanages your workflow by using workflow rules to fill up your team’s to-do lists along with deadlines and priorities.
- Accounting firms seeking tools to manage their resources more efficiently: TaxWorkFlow will help you balance your resources during your busy season and scale down during your off time. It also helps you understand how much time you spend on various projects and tasks so that you can adjust your practices to concentrate on the most profitable areas of your business.
TaxWorkFlow Is Not a Good Fit For
- Accounting firms that work with QuickBooks Online clients: If any of your clients are using QuickBooks Online, then QuickBooks Online Accountant is necessary to access their files.
- Accounting firms serving clients using Xero accounting software: If you have clients using Xero, you should use Xero Practice Manager.
- Accounting firms offering full-service payroll: Payroll service providers will find that QuickBooks Accountant Desktop is an ideal solution, as it offers the option to provide full-service payroll for up to 50 clients for $700 per year plus $1.75 for direct deposit.
- Small accounting firms: If you want a budget-friendly monthly plan with similar features, check out Jetpack Workflow, which we ranked as one of the best accounting practice management applications. Prices currently start at $45 a month per user, with unlimited jobs, documents, and clients.
TaxWorkFlow Pros and Cons
|Combines the speed of desktop software and accessibility of a cloud-based app||Desktop software requires installation|
|CRM functionality, including the ability to create email marketing campaigns||Bookkeeping software must be purchased separately and then integrated|
|Unlimited users||No monthly subscription available|
|Convenient client-facing tax portal||No direct access to your client’s books|
|Mobile app||Mobile app has limited functionality|
|Strong time and project tracking tools|
|Integrates with several accounting solutions, including QuickBooks|
If you choose TaxWorkFlow to manage your firm, you’ll also need to choose a separate bookkeeping software. Check out our review of the best small business accounting software for help.
TaxWorkFlow is available at a flat annual fee of $1,500. This includes free support and unlimited access to all features. The annual fee remains the same as long as you’re a client, and it allows for unlimited users. The software includes free support and unlimited access to all of its features with no additional fee. You’ll also receive free training to help you maximize the benefits of TaxWorkFlow.
Tip: New users can sign up for TaxWorkFlow for free for six months without any subscription fees or initial deposits. This limited-time offer is an effort by TaxWorkFlow to help businesses stay productive during the pandemic.
The software incorporates many powerful capabilities, allowing every step of the tax preparation process to be managed and completed in an accurate and efficient manner. Here are some of the highlights.
This gives you access to your client’s files, and it integrates with the document management system. Your clients can use the portal to securely upload documents to the TaxWorkFlow database, which you’ll be able to access. Client appointments, documents that need to be signed, and invoices to be paid can also be viewed from the client portal:
Client Records Management
You can look up your clients quickly with a keyword search, and the dashboard itself is customizable. You can add or remove columns or group clients by various criteria, such as by state or entity type. When you open a client’s record, on the left navigation bar you’ll see all of the relevant information about various aspects of the client record. You can take notes for the client with an embedded timestamp, which can be used as a historical record for the information you have updated:
You can add new staff users to TaxWorkFlow by sending them an email invitation. You can customize their data access based on their roles in the company. The system also allows you to create a task, track how much time your staff use on a project, adjust priorities as needed, and create productivity reports based on their performance. To create a task for your staff in TaxWorkFlow, click on the Create Task window, pick a client from the drop-down menu, and provide the information required in the Create Task form, as shown below:
The ability to store emails inside TaxWorkFlow enhances your productivity because you can assign emails to a task or create projects from the email easily. The built-in email integration feature captures emails from your client so that you can retain correspondence for historical purposes and reply directly within the software. Another feature of the workflow is problem-solving, in which email communications can be used to solve those problems. There are different email templates available for different situations like birthday or holiday greetings. These can be customized to be used for a certain context so that you don’t have to repeatedly type the same information.
From the email management dashboard, you can execute several tasks, such as Edit Email Reply, Reply All, Forward, Assign Email to a Client, Assign Email to a Project, and Assign Email to a Task:
Document management is very similar to email syncing because you can set up TaxWorkFlow to sync a folder or many folders that contain your client’s documents. It gives you more syncing options because you can sync multiple locations into one single database. There are many ways that you can put documents into TaxWorkFlow. You can attach these documents to tasks or projects, and they’ll end up in the document management system. You can drag and drop them or attach files from your local file system. It’s flexible enough to accommodate various acquisitions and delivery of documents to and from your clients, which are organized into folders:
The workflow is a combination of the project, task, and problem. It’s driven by templates, just like emails or documents. There are templates for your projects, your tasks, and your problems, and they describe how it operates. For example, a sequence of steps created by your staff in a certain order would comprise one workflow. These steps can be customized, and you can also define the rules and how you would like to route tasks to different people. Essentially, you can delegate task management to TaxWorkFlow using workflow rules:
Time and Billing Management
You can track time spent on your projects, with the option of using a time clock or entering it manually. This time can be converted into an estimate or invoice, which can be emailed to your clients. To view work time by your staff, click on the Billing menu and select View User Work Time:
You can quickly create an invoice in TaxWorkFlow using the invoice wizard. Before you use the wizard, you need to add prices for the services you offer. Once the prices are set, go to the Billing page and click on Services Invoice Wizard. The invoicing form lets you add details, such as work time item, invoice credit item, and referral credit. Unfortunately, TaxWorkFlow’s invoices aren’t as professional and customizable as other solutions like QuickBooks Online and FreshBooks:
The TaxWorkFlow mobile application allows you to view the list of your tasks, projects, and problems. From the mobile dashboard, you can access quick links to execute different tasks. You can also navigate the app from the menu. The mobile app is available on Google Play and the App Store. To connect the mobile app to your TaxWorkFlow database, click on the File menu on your desktop app, select Connection Settings, and then scan the QR code that shows up using the app:
Customer Service and Ease of Use
TaxWorkFlow’s intuitive native Windows interface makes it very user-friendly and offers enhanced data storage capacity in the cloud. You’ll enjoy the fast processing speed and ease of use that you get from a PC desktop platform, plus the advantages of collaboration, sharing, and productivity that come from working in the cloud. The system helps to streamline all of your tasks and functions and speeds up your processes without compromising accuracy. When you get stuck with something, you can send an email for support or talk to an agent over the phone. You can also check out downloadable guides to help you get the most out of the software.
The dashboard was created to simplify your workflow. You can find all of the necessary tools in one place, as shown below:
- WorkFlow tab: You have the option of switching between the WorkFlow tab, which is shown here, and the Administration tab, which allows you to manage connections and users of the system. On this screen, you’ll find all main modules of TaxWorkFlow and see how they’re linked to each other, along with their main functionality.
- Clients: All of the activities related to your clients are accessed here, which includes adding a client or a referral, viewing your client list, importing data from Excel or QuickBooks, and creating a mail or email campaign.
- WorkFlow: Manage all of the different aspects of a project in this section, including creating and viewing projects, viewing project activity, creating and viewing tasks, and viewing problems.
- Documents: You can add and view documents or import/export documents here.
- Time & Billing: All of the workflows related to time and billing are in this section, which includes adding and viewing work time, creating and viewing invoices, and creating accounts.
- Emails: Access all of your emails here, without having to toggle between programs.
Firms with clients using QuickBooks Online
Firms that provide full-service payroll
Firms seeking an affordable monthly plan
Free with enrollment in the QuickBooks Online ProAdvisor program, which is also free
Free with enrollment in the QuickBooks Desktop ProAdvisor program, which is $499 per year
Starting at $45 per user per month
TaxWorkFlow provides a complete tax and accounting practice management solution for tax firms and professionals who want to improve their profitability and productivity. The pricing structure isn’t as flexible as other software, but it offers a robust set of features that you won’t find in most accounting practice management solutions. Also, the ability to store your data in-house or in the cloud lets you choose your storage option based on your compliance and security preferences. TaxWorkFlow’s powerful CRM system is also useful to enhance internal and client-facing communication.