What We Recommend QuickBooks Online Accountant For
A special program that was developed with the needs of accounting specialists in mind, QuickBooks Online Accountant allows you to complete and manage accounting tasks for multiple client companies in one place as well as providing project and task management tools for your own firm. You’ll also have access to tools to help market your business, such as the Find-a-ProAdvisor Directory, which will increase your visibility as a QuickBooks Online ProAdvisor. It is a terrific complement to your client’s QuickBooks Online, which we ranked as the top small business accounting software.
QuickBooks Online Accountant Is Especially Good For
- Firms with clients that use QuickBooks Online: Firms cannot access their clients’ QuickBooks Online account without the use of QuickBooks Online Accountant.
- Firms that want to manage their clients and their own business all in one place: The versatility of the software allows you to access all of your clients’ financial data from one central dashboard. You’ll also have access to QuickBooks Online Advanced so that you can manage your own books too.
- Firms that want assistance with marketing their services: QuickBooks Online Accountant allows you to obtain the leads you want by showcasing your services in a custom Find-a-ProAdvisor profile, which is free with QuickBooks certification. In addition, the Intuit Marketing Hub provides a library of guides and templates for expanding your brand and converting leads to clients.
QuickBooks Online Accountant Is Not a Good Fit For
- Firms that work with QuickBooks Desktop clients: If any of your clients use QuickBooks Desktop products, then you’ll need QuickBooks Accountant Desktop to import the Accountants’ Copy of their desktop books.
- Firms that work with Xero clients: If your clients are using Xero, then we recommend using Xero Practice Manager, which integrates with Xero for invoicing and payments and has a portal to your clients’ books. It also has a dedicated mobile app for when you need access on the go.
- Firms offering full-service payroll: Payroll can be provided with QuickBooks Accountant Desktop for up to 50 clients for only $700 per year.
QuickBooks Online Accountant Pros and Cons
|Portal to your clients’ QuickBooks Online accounts with remote, real-time access to files||Not compatible with versions of QuickBooks Desktop|
|Free subscription to QuickBooks Online Advanced to use for your firm’s books||No dedicated app for managing clients with QuickBooks Online Accountant|
|Seamless integration with Intuit ProConnect Tax||Doesn’t calculate realization percentage when employee time is written off of a job or project|
|The ability to track projects across multiple clients|
|Free access to the QuickBooks Online ProAdvisor program|
|Accountants can use the app to manage their own books|
QuickBooks Online Accountant Pricing
Intuit offers free access to QuickBooks Online Accountant, which includes a portal to your clients’ books and QuickBooks Online Advanced, which you can use for your firm’s books. You’ll also receive free access to the QuickBooks Online ProAdvisor program. It is for these reasons that we selected it as one of the best accounting practice management software.
QuickBooks Online Accountant Features
There are a variety of features that make QuickBooks Online Accountant an attractive choice for accounting firms that manage QuickBooks Online clients. These include the ability to manage your firm and clients from one central dashboard, access to accountant-only tools, a mobile app and integrations, and access to the QuickBooks Online Advisor Program.
Manage Your Firm
In the Your Practice section you’ll have access to built-in tools for workflow tracking, document sharing, and team assignments. This allows you to streamline your communications by sharing client documents and keep them organized in a password-protected environment. You can also view your firm’s upcoming deadlines and urgent tasks and filter by clients, assigned team member, or type of task. Additionally, you can manage employee permissions by allowing access to specific information.
With these accountant-only tools, you can streamline your work and access customizable reports so that you can advise clients quickly. This includes reclassifying transactions, accessing voided or deleted transactions, writing off invoices, making journal entries, closing the books, reconciling and undoing client mistakes, and custom reports.
Mobile App and Integrations
While there is not a mobile app designated for QuickBooks Online Accountant, all QuickBooks Online clients have free access to the app, which has most of the same features as the software itself, such as entering transactions, recording expenses, invoicing customers, and sending reports.
There are also many integrations for both your firm and your clients. These include:
- Accounting firm: Practice Ignition, Karbon, Aero Workflow, and Hubdoc
- Clients: Method:CRM, SOS Inventory, Expensify, Float, Plooto, and Veem
Access to the QuickBooks Pro Advisor Program
The QuickBooks Pro Advisor program offers benefits and resources that get better as your firm grows. You’ll earn points and rewards, such as free training and software discounts, for the things you do already, like training in QuickBooks Online, adding clients, and attaching software. Once you complete the training and become QuickBooks Online certified, you are eligible to list your profile for free in the Find-a-ProAdvisor Directory. Essentially, the faster your firm grows and earns points, the faster you’ll elevate your status and gain access to rewards.
This tool reduces time spent on manual data entry by exporting your clients’ QuickBooks Online data directly into their tax return and corrects entries to simplify end-of-year duties. This includes adjusting entries and mapping account balances to specific tax lines.
Access to QuickBooks Online Advanced
When you sign up for QuickBooks Online Accountant, you’ll also have access to QuickBooks Online Advanced which has features including Batch Transactions with the ability to define and automate specific tasks and workflows. It also assists with organization, integrating seamlessly with Google Sheets. The Performance Center also allows accountants to track business performance and gain valuable insights with customizable, presentation-ready reports.
Customer Service and Ease of Use
QuickBooks Online Accountant provides a variety of support methods which include a searchable knowledge base, video tutorials, webinars, and quick start guides. You can also pose a question in the community forum and other users may be able to help troubleshoot issues. Additionally, you can fill out a support form on the website to request a phone call from support staff.
The dashboard is uncluttered and intuitive, allowing you to access both your and your clients’ books in one central area, as shown below:
- Go to QuickBooks: This is where you’ll find links that take you to your clients’ QuickBooks Online accounts. Select the client you want to view, and you’ll have access to their QuickBooks Online company dashboard. The Client Switcher stays at the top of the screen, allowing you to switch quickly to another client’s books.
- Accountant Tools: This drop-down menu is only available to you as an accountant user. Selecting this takes you to a list of accountant-only tools, including Prep for Taxes, Reclassify Transactions, and Write-Off Invoices.
- Add New Transaction: This is the go-to button to swiftly create or add transactions, from invoices to deposits. There are quick links for vendor- or customer-type transactions as well as for employee activities and more general activities.
- Your Practice: Here you can find links to view your list of client companies, see the team section where your team members and their access rights are listed, and the ProAdvisor section, which has great tips for ProAdvisors to develop their business. You can also access the Work space, where you can create Projects and Tasks, and there’s a link to the Apps space with additional apps that can help your practice and support clients.
- Your Books: This area is where your firm’s own version of QuickBooks Online Advanced and Payroll Elite is accessed. You can manage expenses and sales dashboards, calculate taxes, view financial reports, and track mileage here.
- Shortcuts: Many common bookkeeping tasks can be accessed here, such as adding a customer, adding an estimate or invoice, receiving payment, adding or paying a bill, adding a receipt, and running payroll.
- Discover More: Special offers and announcements from QuickBooks are listed here, for example, a link that allows you to estimate your tax credits based on new COVID-19 tax credits.
- Bank Accounts: Your current bank account balances are listed here. If your bank accounts are connected then you will be able to view both the bank and QuickBooks balances.
QuickBooks Online Accountant Alternatives
Best for: Firms with clients using QuickBooks desktop products or offering full-service payroll
Best for: Firms with clients using Xero
Best for: Firms with scheduling and project tracking needs
Cost: Starting at $449 per year for the ProAdvisor Premier software bundle
Cost: $149 per month for up to 10 users; free when you become a Silver Partner
Cost: Fees are quote-based
QuickBooks Online Accountant is more than just a portal to your clients’ information. It includes a free subscription to QuickBooks Online Advanced to use for your firm, free access to the QuickBooks Online ProAdvisor program, free training and other educational materials, and a listing on the QuickBooks Certified ProAdvisor website. It will also help you improve your business by providing key trends based on client data, performance indicators, and financial ratios.