The best call blocker apps stop spam and scam calls and let you block specific numbers. Many apps are free, but some also offer premium, paid versions with advanced features like visual voicemail and call recording that can also benefit professional users. If you want to stop your work from being interrupted by spam calls, here are the five best call blocker apps for iOS and Android phones:
- YouMail: Best overall and best for small teams wanting a free call blocker app that’s scalable to a full-service, voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) system
- Call Control: Good call blocker app for small businesses wanting to block spam and scam calls on both mobile devices and landlines
- Hiya: Top choice for companies with a global workforce needing a call blocker app that integrates with business phone systems
- Robo Shield: Best app for professionals wanting to block calls and use a hotspot virtual private network (VPN)
- TrapCall: Great option for solopreneurs and small businesses looking for a call blocker app that unmasks unknown callers
How We Evaluated the Best Call Blocker Apps
We compared top iOS and Android call blocker apps by checking out the features and database sizes to determine which apps block the highest number of unwanted calls. In addition, we looked for spam and scam call blocking solutions that work well for solopreneurs as well as small businesses.
According to our research, the best call blocker app is YouMail, thanks to its robust feature set and a free second phone number. It offers both free and affordable paid plans. YouMail can be scaled up to a full VoIP system as your business grows, making it a great option for solopreneurs, startups, and small businesses.
To see the specific criteria we used to evaluate the best small business call blocking apps, click on the tabs below:
25% of Overall Score
We looked for the best call blocker apps offering free and paid versions and scored them based on plan tier pricing. Since cost is often the determining factor for small businesses, startups, and solopreneurs, we also gave extra points to companies offering discounts for an annual prepayment.
25% of Overall Score
We examined the basic features included in free spam blocker app plans and premium plans to uncover solutions for both iOS and Android devices, and whether it included allowlisting (so users can manually block or allow certain phone numbers). Plus, we reviewed apps that provide spoof call detection and play a disconnect tone to spam or scam callers.
25% of Overall Score
We considered call blocking apps that provide spam text message protection and the ability to report numbers to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). Also, we looked for call recording, straight-to-voicemail functionality, and free or paid visual voicemail features.
25% of Overall Score
We appraised call blocking apps based on the cost and features to determine overall value. We also explored the app’s popularity and ease of use.
YouMail: Best Overall Call Blocker App & Best Free Scalable Solution
*Save up to 25% with annual prepayment.
YouMail is a popular free call blocking app available for both iOS and Android phones as well as landline desktop devices. YouMail has more than 11 million users, including more than 150,000 businesses. YouMail stands out due to its added VoIP business phone features, including voicemail transcription, and virtual phone numbers (from one up to 15) per plan.
Like TrapCall, it delivers a “number out of service” message to spam callers and ends the call without forwarding it to your voicemail. However, YouMail can’t protect your text inbox from spam and scam messages like Call Control. Instead, it filters spam messages into a separate folder.
YouMail replaces your current voicemail service or app. It uses the data to build its spam database. If you prefer an app that works with your current voicemail, consider the free version of Hiya.
While YouMail’s free app is a good starter plan, it offers an affordable personal plan for $7.99 per month with custom voicemail greetings. Small businesses can also choose from three professional plans ranging from $17.99 to $49.99 per month to add more business phone system features and from two to 15 local or vanity phone virtual numbers.
- Free phone number: All YouMail plans, including the free version, come with a free second phone number. You can get as many as 15 local or vanity business phone numbers with paid services.
- VoIP services: The free plan includes 120 voice minutes. Paid plans additionally offer call management features, such as an auto-attendant, automatic SMS replies for missed calls, and call routing to extensions.
- Reverse phone lookup: Unlike Call Control, YouMail allows an unlimited number of free reverse phone lookup searches. It provides the caller’s name, type of caller (robocaller or telemarketer), and comments from the YouMail community.
Call Control: Best for Landlines & Cell Phones Users
Call Control collects data from its more than 12 million users to efficiently block spam and scam calls and is available for desktop (landline) as well as both Android and iOS phones. It uses a Community IQ feature to check do not call (DNC) complaints and community data. In addition, you can use DND mode and backup your contacts in the app.
Call Control differs from other services because you must use the app to make and receive calls, rather than using your VoIP softphone app or mobile carrier app. The call blocker app’s free version is ad-supported, but subscriptions are also available at a cost of $9.99 per quarter or $29.99 per year.
Call Control Features
- Landline call control: Landline device protection requires a one-time fee, which isn’t disclosed on the Call Control website. It automatically blocks spam callers on your landline and provides data about blocked landline calls on your mobile app.
- Allow and blocklists: Business versions of call control give each team member their own account with the ability to add numbers to both allowed and blocked number lists and set time-of-day call handling preferences.
- Network integrations: Call Control provides application programming interfaces (APIs) and integrates with popular business phone systems, including Nextiva, Avaya, Cisco, and Broadsoft.
Hiya: Best for International Users
*Review in-app pricing, as the cost may differ between iOS and Android devices.
Hiya offers a call blocker app for iOS and Android phones along with VoIP services for businesses, carriers, and tech resellers. It works in more than 40 countries, serves over 200 million users, and partners with companies like Samsung and AT&T.
Hiya’s unique spam detection system analyzes more than 22 reputation metrics, such as historical call patterns and STIR/SHAKEN status. STIR stands for Secure Telephone Identity Revisited and SHAKEN refers to Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using toKENs. The STIR/SHAKEN protocol combats spoof calls by digitally verifying a call is coming from the number displayed on your caller ID.
While the free version isn’t as robust as YouMail’s, Hiya’s free app doesn’t have any in-app advertisements. Hiya also sends all blocked calls to your voicemail. If you prefer a disconnect message, consider TrapCall or YouMail. In addition to Hiya, the company offers a second app for blocking calls: Mr. Number. If Hiya doesn’t work in your country, Mr. Number might.
- Caller ID management: Hiya lets you register and correct your business information in the Hiya database. The tool also enables you to report inaccurate or offensive comments listed under your phone number.
- Call screener: This optional feature blocks unknown phone numbers and sends the callers a text message asking them to identify themselves.
- Languages: Hiya is the only spam blocker app on our list with language preferences on its website and the iOS Hiya app download page. Supported languages include English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish.
Robo Shield: Best for Users Who Need a VPN
*Prices may vary based on device type, and current premium Hotspot Shield VPN plans also come with a premium Robo Shield subscription.
Robo Shield provides free and paid call blocking apps on iOS phones with custom blocklists and allowlists. Unlike TrapCall and YouMail, Robo Shield lets you report a caller to the FTC while using the application. Robo Shield also is the only call blocker app offering a premium Hotspot Shield VPN subscription with paid plans.
Robo Shield updates its spam database every six minutes—more often than any other app on our list. However, it lacks visual voicemail, isn’t yet available for Android devices, and doesn’t deliver a disconnect message to people on your blocklist. For these features, you may prefer YouMail.
Robo Shield Features
- FTC spam call reporting: Report spam callers directly to the FTC without leaving the Robo Shield application.
- Hotspot Shield VPN: Paid Robo Shield subscriptions come with a VPN offering more than 115 virtual locations, malware and virus protection, a secure password manager, and services for up to five devices.
- Spam categories: Block all calls from eight categories, including scam, nuisance, telemarketing, charity, jail or prison, political, survey, and account services.
TrapCall: Best for Unmasking Unknown Callers
*Prices vary by product and country. Monthly and yearly costs range from $4.95 to $94.99, and TrapCall also offers discounts for annual prepayment.
TrapCall is a call blocking and reverse phone number lookup application available for both iOS and Android phones. It claims to be the only app in the world that unmasks people calling from private, blocked, unknown, or restricted numbers. Like YouMail, TrapCall delivers a disconnect message to people on your blocklist.
TrapCall’s spam blocker app also provides from 10 to an unlimited amount of reverse number lookups, depending on your plan. It goes beyond other services by providing additional caller details, such as photos and location, if they’re available.
However, TrapCall doesn’t work with all cell phone providers or offer a free plan (although it does offer a free seven-day trial). Unsupported services include Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and Simple Mobile. In this case, you may want to look at services from Call Control or YouMail.
- Unmask unknown callers: By simply declining an unknown incoming call, TrapCall will unmask the number, ring it back to you, and send you a text alert with caller details.
- Custom blocklist: Once you add callers to your blocklist, every time they call, TrapCall plays a message saying, “The number you’ve dialed has been disconnected or is no longer in service.”
- Privacy lock: TrapCall will ask unknown callers to identify themselves by stating their names. If you answer, you’ll hear their recorded name and have the option to accept, hang up, or send the call to voicemail.
Using a paid or free call blocker app can give you extra protection against scammers. According to Hiya’s 2021 State of the Call Report, “75% of Americans surveyed were targeted by scammers in 2020, and nearly 40% of all respondents reported losing money to phone scams.”
Our top pick for the best call blocker app for small businesses and solopreneurs is YouMail. Along with providing a free version, it offers paid plans that scale up with VoIP features as your business grows. All packages include VoIP minutes, voicemail, and unlimited reverse number lookups. Download the free app today or sign up for a free trial of the premium service.