The majority of today’s leading voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) services come standard with mobile apps for both iOS and Android devices. We examined the best apps on the market and evaluated them based on price, functionality, and usability. We then narrowed them down to the best six before picking the overall winner.
|VoIP Apps||Best For|
(Best Overall) Business wanting the most powerful all-around VoIP app as well as features like Apple Watch integration
Teams that want mobile features like screen sharing
Organizations looking to take advantage of mobile collaboration features like chat and file share
Solo workers and small teams looking for an affordable, yet powerful phone app
Businesses that need to make frequent international calls when out of the office
Teams with low budgets that have low monthly calling volumes
VoIP systems are great for small businesses in part because they allow users to take their number wherever they go via a mobile app. Take our VoIP apps quiz to decide on the best solution for your company.
Answer a few questions about your business and we'll give you personalized product match
How We Evaluated VoIP Apps
Most VoIP business phone services come with a mobile app for iOS and Android (apps for tertiary platforms like Palm and Blackberry exist in some very rare cases) as a standard feature in their service plans. With that said, in our evaluation, VoIP apps should be easy to use and come with modules like SMS, group chat, and faxing.
We evaluated VoIP apps based on the following:
- Ease of use
- iOS and Android support
- Call features
- International calling
- Additional features
- Customer support
We recommend RingCentral to anyone in the market for a VoIP system and who prioritizes the quality of that system’s mobile app. The system provides a powerful, easy-to-understand solution in a friendly mobile package that your employees can download on their personal devices and use regardless of their location.
RingCentral: Best Overall VoIP App for Small Businesses
What it is: RingCentral is our pick as the best small business VoIP service and comes standard with powerful apps for iOS and Android in all of its packages.
Why it is great for businesses: With a starting price of $19.99 per user, per month on an annual basis for two to 20 users, RingCentral is a solid value for small businesses. The app comes with modules for SMS, voicemail, video conferencing, and nearly everything else that is found on the desktop app. It even comes with Apple Watch integration. RingCentral is the best all-around choice for most organizations.
Complete multilevel automated attendant can be set up in mobile app
Price structure not intuitive
Video conferencing, team messaging, and other advanced features on your smartphone
Lacks unlimited international calling
Take calls with your Apple Watch
Interface can be overwhelming at first
- Essentials: $19.99 per user, per month for up to 20 users*
- Standard: $24.99 per user, per month; unlimited users*
- Premium: $34.99 per user, per month; unlimited users*
- Ultimate: $49.99 per user, per month; unlimited users*
*Pricing is on an annual basis for two to 20 users. Volume discounts are available as you add more users, as are month-to-month plans.
Note: In an attempt to ease some of the strain caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, RingCentral has temporarily made their Office Premium tier free for K-12 educators, healthcare providers, and nonprofit organizations. This provides, among other things, a free automated attendant and video conferencing for up to 100 people. You can read their COVID-19 offer page for more details.
- Apple Watch integrations: RingCentral’s iOS version comes with the ability to make calls, send texts, and receive meeting reminders through the Apple Watch screen.
- Call management: RingCentral’s mobile app includes all of the call management functionality of the desktop edition. It also comes with the same automated attendant as the desktop version.
- Video conferencing: The system allows you to join and initiate video calls from the mobile app, which helps your team stay productive even when working remotely.
Check out our RingCentral user reviews page for more information.
Nextiva: Best VoIP App With Fax Support Tools
What it is: Nextiva is a business phone system that lets users easily share their mobile screens during meetings and presentations.
Why it is great for businesses: Nextiva has a lot of the same basic call management, texting, and other features found in competing mobile apps. However, we love the system’s intuitive meeting tools, such as the ability to quickly share the contents of one’s mobile screen to show other participants important information. This makes it particularly good for workers who give presentations over their smartphone or tablet.
Exceptional mobile screen sharing
Limited conferencing tools
Team messaging capabilities work similarly to desktop
Lacks full Apple Watch integrations
Simple mobile interface
Contracts demand lengthy commitment
- Essential: $27.95 per user, per month for five to 19 users*
- Professional: $30.95 per user, per month for five to 19 users*
- Enterprise: $37.95 per user, per month for five to 19 users*
*Pricing is on a 36-month contract. Prepaid plans are available at a discount, and monthly plans are available at an extra cost.
- Screen sharing: Nextiva allows you to quickly and easily share the contents of your smartphone screen via its intuitive, fast-sharing features.
- Call management: All versions of Nextiva come standard with conference bridge, automated attendants, and transfer options.
- Customizable hold music: The service makes it easy to upload your custom audio files to the system and have full control over what your audience hears when they are on hold.
Vonage: Best VoIP App With Collaboration Tools
What it is: Vonage is a small business VoIP service that offers a wealth of mobile collaboration features.
Why it is great for businesses: On top of features for calling and texting, Vonage comes with a powerful set of collaboration tools, like group messaging, call center features, and file sharing. The service, which starts at $19.99 per user, per month, is great for remote teams that could use these features to get work done together.
Best-in-class mobile team messaging tools
Conferencing capabilities not as robust as other services
Mobile auto-attendant comes standard
No wearables integrations
Native integration with CRM system
Dated user interface
- Mobile: $17.99 per user, per month*
- Premium: $27.99 per user, per month*
- Advanced: $37.99 per user, per month*
*Pricing shown is for five to 18 users on an annual basis. Monthly pricing is available, and so are volume discounts as you add more users.
- Collaboration: Vonage provides teams with the ability to message one another, hold video calls, and share files via the app for iOS and Android devices.
- Call monitoring: The system provides managers with detailed reports on call activity and is capable of recording all conversations.
- Vonage meetings: Vonage comes standard with access to the company’s mobile video calling tool.
Grasshopper: Best VoIP App With a Virtual Phone Service
What it is: Grasshopper is a virtual phone solution that comes with apps for desktops as well as iOS and Android devices.
Why it is great for businesses: As a virtual phone solution, Grasshopper requires an existing line to forward calls from, and it is much more affordable than RingCentral, Nextiva, and other standalone VoIP solutions. Grasshopper, which starts at $26 per month, is ideal for smaller teams looking for an affordable, yet capable mobile business phone app.
Fast, powerful faxing capabilities
Requires existing line to forward calls from
Easy to use
Lacks video conferencing
Minimal collaboration tools
- Basic: $26 per month for one number and three extensions*
- Premium: $44 per month for three numbers and unlimited extensions*
- Platinum: $80 per month for five numbers and unlimited extensions*
*Pricing is on an annual basis.
- Mobile fax: Grasshopper makes it incredibly easy to send and receive faxes from your smartphone.
- Toll-free numbers: With each new Grasshopper account, you get to choose between a local phone number and a toll-free number with a 1-800 prefix. Vanity numbers are also available.
- Automated attendant: Grasshopper’s automated attendant module can handle all of your incoming calls without your human employees needing to get involved.
For more details, go to our Grasshopper user reviews page.
8×8: Best VoIP App for International Calling
What it is: 8×8 is a VoIP phone service with a starting price of $12 per user, per month.
Why it is great for businesses: In many cases, international per-minute rates can quickly add up to be expensive for small businesses. This is true even for internet-based solutions. 8×8 offers unlimited calling for up to 47 countries around the world, which makes it a perfect choice for teams with a lot of overseas contacts.
Unlimited international calling for nearly 50 countries
Specific countries locked behind premium tiers of service
Mobile video calls for up to 100 people
Limited online media storage
Call center functionality
Somewhat outdated interface
- Express: $12 per user, per month for unlimited domestic calling and a basic automated attendant
- X1: $15 per user, per month for a multilevel automated attendant, visual voicemail, and call recording
- X2: $25 per user, per month for unlimited calling for up to 14 countries, VoIP faxing, and integrations with outside business software
- X4: $45 per user, per month for up to 47 countries
- International calling: 8×8 allows unlimited calling for up to 47 countries at no added cost.
- Call center features: The system comes with functionality such as call queuing, reports, logs, and call recording that lend themselves well to call center environments.
- Video conferencing: The X2 and above editions of 8×8 come standard with video calling for up to 100 people at once.
Phone.com: Best VoIP App for Low-volume Calling
What it is: Phone.com is a business phone system that offers both unlimited and limited monthly plans.
Why it is great for businesses: Most mainstream business phone services force unlimited calling plans on users, even if they don’t need them. Phone.com, which starts at just $9.99 per user, per month on an annual basis, offers plans with limited monthly minutes at a lower cost. The mobile app is also rich in features and easy to use. As such, it could be a perfect fit for teams with low call volumes that are looking to save money.
Limited plans can add up in cost
Video conferencing optional
Standard automated attendant
Unlimited plans are expensive
- Base: $9.99 per month for 300 monthly minutes or $24.99 per month for unlimited calling*
- Plus: $14.99 per month for 500 monthly minutes or $32.99 per month for unlimited calling*
- Pro: $29.99 per month for 1,000 monthly minutes or $49.99 per month for unlimited calling*
*Pricing is on an annual basis. Monthly plans are available for an additional fee.
- Mobile calling: Phone.com’s mobile app offers most of the functionality found in the desktop version.
- Automated attendant: Manage and deploy your automated attendant right from your mobile device.
- Conference calling: Phone.com comes with conferencing for up to 300 people at a time.
Mobile capability is perhaps one of the best things about a VoIP service, especially when compared to a landline setup, where mobile apps are impossible. They let you effectively take your work phone wherever you go, and they don’t force you to use your personal line to make important calls. And in 2020, many of them are just as powerful as their desktop counterparts.
RingCentral is our top recommendation for anyone looking for a new VoIP app for their business. The system is affordable, capable, and exceptionally easy to use. Click the button below to start your free trial today.