MileageWise Review: Features, Pricing & Alternatives 2023
This article is part of a larger series on Accounting Software.
MileageWise is a mileage tracker app that features IRS compliance in mileage tracking. It highlights features that can help users avoid fines and problems with the IRS with respect to claiming mileage deductions. It has a built-in IRS auditor that checks all mileage logs for inconsistencies. You can try MileageWise for 14 days for free. Plans start at $9.99 per vehicle per month.
- Past mileage recovery feature
- Supports mileage tracking for electric cars
- Volume discounts for annual plans
- Tax-focused mileage tracking features
- Pricing is only available after signing up for the free trial
- Long-term plan commitment for higher plans
- Lacks expense tracking features
When To Use MileageWise
- Tracking IRS-compliant mileage logs: MileageWise focuses on tracking mileage for tax reporting purposes. It’s a mileage tracker that emphasizes IRS compliance in tracking miles per vehicle. It also has a built-in “IRS auditor” that checks errors and conflicts in your mileage data to avoid IRS fines.
- FreshBooks users: MileageWise offers a seamless integration with FreshBooks. You can export mileage data easily to FreshBooks for accounting and recording.
- Companies with electric cars: Electric cars have a built-in mileage tracking system. You can directly import mileage data from your car to MileageWise.
- Companies using Google Maps Timeline: Google Maps Timeline is a service within Google Maps that can help you measure distances. You can import Google Maps Timeline data into MileageWise, and the app will convert them automaticallyto IRS-proof mileage logs.
When To Use An Alternative
- Companies needing expense tracking: Expense and mileage tracking are somewhat inseparable. MileageWise is great in tracking mileage, but it doesn’t have an expense tracking module where you can see fuel and mileage expenses. We recommend choosing TripLog, our overall best mileage tracker app. TripLog also integrates with QuickBooks Online and Xero.
- Individuals without complex mileage tracking: If you track mileage for client visits occasionally, MileageWise’s features would be too much for your needs. MileIQ is our recommendation for a simple mileage tracking solution for occasional drivers.
- Companies looking for an affordable solution: Mileage tracker apps often come with different features and add-ons. If you’re seeking an affordable alternative, you should choose an option that has all the features you need in a business. Our recommendation would be Hurdlr, which has accounting, invoicing, annual tax filing, and mileage tracking features.
MileageWise Deciding Factors
Supported business types
Businesses whose main purpose for tracking mileage is to avoid fines and inquiries from the IRS
Phone, email and knowledge base
Best for: Businesses looking for a mileage tracking app with invoicing and multiple integrations
Best for: Small companies looking for an affordable and simple mileage tracker
Best for: Self-employed individuals and rideshare drivers
Cost: $10 per user per month or custom priced for Business plans
Cost: $5 to $10 per user per month for Teams
Cost: $0 to $200 per year
MileageWise vs Competitors
MileageWise vs Competitors FSB Case Study
Touch the graph above to interact Click on the graphs above to interact
MileageWise Starts at $9.99 per vehicle, monthly
TripLog Starts at $10 per vehicle, monthly
Hurdlr Starts at $0
MileageWise’s pricing is less flexible compared to TripLog and Hurdlr. Its most basic plan is the only plan with a month-to-month contract, whereas higher plans are bundled in either one-, two-, or three-year plans. Getting plans with MileageWise can be a burden financially because of the initial large cashout. We recommend TripLog or Hurdlr if you’d like monthly options.
In terms of mileage tracking and related app features, MileageWise lags behind because it lacks features like invoicing, reimbursements, and accounting. Though we don’t see this as a major miss, we believe that this app fits perfectly with businesses or individuals looking for IRS-proof mileage logs.
Overall, MileageWise performs well in our evaluation. Amid its missing features, we still praise it for designing features that can help during the tax season.
2 chosen years
3 chosen years
Recurring Payment per Billing Cycle
Monthly Price per Vehicle
Built-in IRS Auditor Feature
IRS-proof Mileage Log Creator
Past Mileage Log Reconstruction
Google Timeline Import
MileageWise is accessible via web browser and app. You can use the mobile app to track mileage via GPS and the web dashboard to organize your trips.
Headquarters & Branches
In MileageWise, you can create multiple branches and set your headquarters. The address you choose upon setup becomes the headquarter by default. The main purpose of setting your branches is to track mileage for trips to and from branches efficiently. Later on, you can edit the category of this address.
Clients & Locations
Under Clients and Locations, you can record all the locations and clients you visit. Locations can be hardware stores, client’s address, meeting venues, warehouses, storage units, and many more. Adding locations helps MileageWise track vehicles’ visits to given locations.
You also need to record the refueling or charging stations that your vehicles visit—having a record of these stations helps MileageWise match fuel charges in every trip. Whenever you visit a fuel station along the way while tracking mileage, MileageWise will recognize your current location automatically as long as the fuel station is recorded in the app.
Before using MileageWise, you need to record all company vehicles. MileageWise will use vehicle data for matching locations or clients visited. Moreover, companies with electric vehicles (EVs) can use MileageWise to compute mileage deductions for electric vehicles. Aside from that, you can also perform the following:
- Vehicle-client pairing: This allows users to categorize clients by vehicles. You can assign which vehicle can visit the headquarters, branch, client, or filling station.
- Client-vehicle pairing: This lets users categorize vehicles by clients. You can use this feature to manage headquarters, clients, or filling stations with specific vehicles.
MileageWise comes with a default list of trip purposes that helps categorize trips. Some trip purposes can be deleted or modified like those in gray boxes in the image below. However, if your company has specific purposes, you can add them to the Trip Purposes window.
Setting up recurring trips can help MileageWise identify trips automatically. Outward Trips are trips from your office to any other location like a client address or your home address while return trips are trips from any other address to the office address. By default, Saturday and Sunday aren’t considered workdays. You can adjust them in the settings if you work on weekends.
All recurring trips are set for each vehicle. You need to set up recurring trips individually for all company vehicles in this window.
MileageWise integrates with Waze for navigation. When recording trips on MileageWise, you’ll see the Waze icon on the top right portion of the screen. Pressing the icon will record the trip in MileageWise automatically, and you’ll be redirected to the Waze app to see your directions.
MileageWise integrates with FreshBooks to export mileage data from MileageWise seamlessly. To integrate MileageWise, you first need to have a FreshBooks subscription, and it’s sold separately on FreshBooks’ website. Once you have a subscription, go to settings and look for Apps and Integration. Search for MileageWise and allow connection.
On your MileageWise Dashboard, go to Print IRS-proof mileage log and click the FreshBooks icon. If you’re doing this for the first time, MileageWise will prompt you to create a connection between the two apps. After that, you’ll see mileage data recorded on FreshBooks.
MileageWise User Reviews
There are only a few MileageWise reviews online. Users noted how MileageWise helped them accurately track business mileage and mentioned that it’s a good mileage tracker for reporting mileage deductions during tax season. We have seen only a few negative comments about the software. In our expert opinion, we can’t fully rely on the information due to the limited number of reviews.
- Trustpilot: 4.7 out of 5 stars based on around 30 reviews
- G2: 4.8 out of 5 stars based on about 5 reviews
How We Evaluated Mileage Tracking Software
We evaluated TripLog based on five major categories that should be present in mileage tracker apps.
20% of Overall Score
Affordability is a primary concern for small businesses. Hence, we’re giving pricing a significant percentage to give more points to mileage tracker apps with a more affordable price point.
30% of Overall Score
In this area, we’d like to see basic mileage tracking features including income and expense tracking and trip categorization. Aside from these major features, it would be a plus to see features like receipt capturing, route planning, scheduling, and other minor features.
20% of Overall Score
Ease of use score measures how easy and convenient for users to use the web or mobile app. Part of this is customer service in case customers want technical assistance.
10% of Overall Score
We considered the ratings of actual users from review websites. This score helped us gauge feedback from current users of the software.
10% of Overall Score
Our expert score is a summative measure of all app features as a whole. We look at the harmony of its features, accessibility, ease of use, reporting, and popularity.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does Mileage Wise have a free plan?
No, but you can try it for 14 days with no credit card needed to sign up.
What level of support does MileageWise offer?
MileageWise offers unlimited customer support to customers. Customer service is open on weekdays from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern time.
MileageWise offers a mileage tracking solution for businesses and individuals who want to avoid fines and problems with the IRS. Through its built-in IRS auditor, the software can spot inconsistencies in mileage logs that would cause IRS fines if left unspotted. We recommend MileageWise if your company has a large fleet of vehicles needing mileage tracking and if you use FreshBooks.