This article is part of a larger series on Accounting Software.
A mobile accounting app should let its users access, encode, and process accounting data wherever and whenever, regardless of the device used—so you’ll want one that’s easy to use and accessible through different platforms. With this premise, Zoho Books is our best overall mobile accounting app because of its functionality and integration with iOS and Android operating systems.
Here is our complete list of the best mobile accounting app choices:
- Zoho Books: Best overall mobile accounting app
- QuickBooks Online: Best for entering bills and generating reports from within the app
- Sage Accounting: Best for businesses or individuals working onsite
- FreshBooks: Best for freelancers and solopreneurs
- Zoho Invoice: Best free mobile invoicing app
Best Mobile Accounting Apps Compared
$0 to $275
$30 to $200
$10 or $25
$17 to $55
Assign Expenses to Customers & Projects
Mileage Conversion Only*
Categorize Expenses in Bank Feed
Record Time Worked
Assign Time Worked to Customer or Project
All the apps above can send invoices, receive payments, and capture receipts.
*Zoho Books uses mileage data taken from Apple Maps and GPS to determine mileage. The app doesn’t have a built-in mileage tracker.
Zoho Books: Best Overall Mobile Accounting App
- $50,000 revenue limit for the free version
- Limited invoicing for the free and standard plan
- Cannot track fixed assets
- Reconcile bank accounts with or without bank integrations
- View reports in the mobile app
- Multiple customer support channels
- Send recurring invoices regardless of the plan tier
- Customize invoices
- Create estimates and manage project costs
QuickBooks Online: Best for Entering Bills & Generating Reports From Within the App
- Limited users
- Cannot view or pay outstanding bills using the mobile app
- Cannot record hours worked
- Track income and expense using classes and locations
- Reconcile bank accounts with or without bank integration
- Access a vast network of certified public accountant (CPA) with ProAdvisor certifications
- Track sales tax
Compare the features of each plan in our QuickBooks Online comparison guide.
Sage Accounting: Best for Businesses or Individuals Who Work Onsite
- Below average app rating in the Apple App Store
- Cannot track mileage
- Cannot create transactions from scanned receipts
- Clean user interface
- Enter product and services including taxes and discounts in invoicing
- Assign bills to ledger accounts
- Send quotes and assign costs to projects
FreshBooks: Best for Freelancers and Solopreneurs
- No inventory and COGS features
- Can’t assign expenses to projects
- Requires bank integration to assign transactions to multiple payment accounts
- User-friendly interface for users without accounting or bookkeeping experience
- Excellent invoicing features with professional invoice templates
- Project accounting features that can track and assign costs
Zoho Invoice: Best Free Mobile Invoicing App
- Must purchase Zoho Books for accounting functions other than invoicing
- Not a full bookkeeping system
- Cannot process incoming invoices (or bills from suppliers)
- Track invoices from clients or projects
- Track billable hours using the app
- Send invoices to clients
- Invoice statuses for faster invoice tracking or filtering
Zoho Invoice has no score because it is not a complete bookkeeping system. However, we believe that Zoho Invoice is a good mobile accounting app for invoicing customers.
In our case study, we created 13 key areas for features that we want to see in small business accounting software. Mobile app functionality is one of the 13 key areas, and we used the scores of the mobile app section for this article.
Here are the criteria we used in evaluating mobile app functionality:
- Sending invoices to customers (15%)
- Receiving payments from customers (10%)
- Entering bills from vendors and suppliers (15%)
- Capturing or scanning receipts (10%)
- Assigning expenses to customers and projects (5%)
- Entering bill payments (10%)
- Categorizing expenses in bank feed (10%)
- Recording time worked (10%)
- Assigning time worked to customer or project (5%)
- Viewing reports (10%)
Most accounting programs don’t allow you to do all of the bookkeeping functions from a mobile app. Things like bank reconciliations and general journal entries are done infrequently and are much easier on a bigger screen. However, when choosing your app, think about the things you do daily that the app should allow.
A good mobile accounting app should let you:
- Issue invoices: You should be able to generate and email invoices to customers quickly.
- Receive payments: You can record payments received from customers and apply them against outstanding invoices.
- Pay bills: Inputting bills received may be easier on your PC, but you should be able to pay the bills through the mobile app.
- Scan receipts: Many apps will allow you to scan receipts and then extract the data to create new accounting transactions. For more information, check out our guide to the best receipt scanner apps.
- Categorize transactions: Good bookkeeping programs will transfer transactions automatically from your checking account. The mobile app should allow you to categorize these transactions.
- View reports: A good app will allow you to view financial reports without the need to print them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
With mobile accounting apps, you can access accounting information in real time without having to open your laptop or log in via web browser.
Mobile accounting is the process of performing accounting tasks through a smartphone or tablet. Through mobile bookkeeping apps, you can input accounting data into the system and generate reports when needed without having to use the web-based or desktop application.
We’ve provided a list of the best mobile accounting apps to help your small business succeed. Before choosing your bookkeeping software, consider which functions you’ll want to perform directly from the app, like invoicing. If you want to do most accounting functions on the go, Zoho Books may be your best choice.