This article is part of a larger series on Payroll Services.
What We Recommend NannyChex For
NannyChex is an all-in-one payroll solution for household employers clueless about domestic employment requirements. It’s on our list of the top nanny payroll services because it offers comprehensive payroll and tax services, including new hire reporting.
What’s also great about it is that it helps you set up employer tax accounts if you’re new to paying household staff. Additionally, its payroll service isn’t limited to nannies—it can process payments and taxes for housekeepers, caregivers, personal chefs, private nurses, gardeners, and personal assistants among others.
In short, NannyChex is best for:
- Employers with temporary household employees: NannyChex, a pay-as-you-go payroll solution, doesn’t have a contract that you need to sign, especially if you only hire temporary household employees. You don’t have to worry about preparing direct deposit payments, either, because it will handle this for you—provided you get the Full Service package.
- First-time household employers: NannyChex will set up all your employer tax accounts, including your federal employer identification number (EIN). It also has more than 20 years of managing household payroll and taxes, so it is well equipped to handle the unique requirements of the city and state in which you reside.
When NannyChex Would Not Be a Good Fit
- Families on a tight budget: Although NannyChex has no registration and setup fees, household employers may find its service fees quite steep. Its “Taxes Only” option (where you prepare employee paychecks yourself) charges $125 for quarterly tax filing and $195 for W-2, W-3, and Schedule-H filing. The tax filing fees are quite lower for its Full Service plan, but you have to pay $6.25–$12.50 for each deposited paycheck. For a reasonably priced option, consider SurePayroll, as the monthly fees of its nanny payroll services already include direct deposit payments and payroll tax filings.
- Employers wanting payroll software with multiple integrations: NannyChex can’t integrate with multiple systems. So, if you have existing third-party software (such as an accounting solution) you would like to use with your payroll software, check out our guide to the best HR payroll solutions for options.
Looking for something different? Read our guide to the best payroll services for small businesses to find a service or software that’s right for you.
|No registration and setup fees||No self-service portal|
|Handles new hire reporting and payroll tax filings||No in-house printing of paper checks|
|EIN setup for new household employers||Expensive year-end tax preparation|
|Dedicated account specialist|
What I appreciate about NannyChex is its fully transparent pricing and lack of setup and registration costs. It follows a pay-as-you-go pricing scheme for its two service options (Taxes Only and Full Service Payroll). Depending on the plan selected, it charges fees for payroll tax filings and each deposited paycheck.
Full Service Payroll*
Registration and Setup Fees
Free payroll assistance
Client prepares paychecks
$6.25 per paycheck
(for weekly payroll)
$12.50 per check
(for biweekly, semimonthly, and monthly payroll)
Quarterly Tax Filings
Year-end Tax Filings
Dedicated Account Specialist
*Includes preparation and direct deposit of employee payments
NannyChex specializes in household payroll, which has rules and regulations different from business payroll. The provider has 20 years of payroll and tax expertise with clients in all 50 states. Aside from helping you pay household employees, it ensures that you remain compliant with all employment and payroll tax laws. Here are some of its essential features.
With a payroll solution that can handle multiple pay schedules, NannyChex can help you pay household employees (via direct deposits) on a weekly, biweekly, semimonthly, and monthly basis. It can handle overtime pay calculations based on the requirements set by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the state you live in. Plus, it calculates, withholds, and pays your health insurance premiums (if any) and other contributions.
While it doesn’t offer workers’ compensation insurance plans, it can handle workers’ comp audits for you. It also offers employment verification for no extra cost.
Payroll Tax Management
NannyChex calculates and withholds your household employee’s local, state, and federal payroll taxes. It also deposits taxes to the appropriate agencies and files quarterly and year-end tax reports. It even prepares W-2 and Schedule H tax forms for you.
If you have questions about payroll taxes, you can contact your dedicated account specialist for assistance. And if you receive notices and correspondence from tax agencies, NannyChex will help handle this for you.
HR Tools & Support
NannyChex can help monitor household employees’ sick and vacation leave, including paid time off (PTO) accruals. Although, as a household employer, you generally don’t have to offer these unless the city or state you reside in requires you to provide sick pay or leave.
In addition to leave management, NannyChex files state new hire reports for you. If you’re a new household employer, it also assists you in setting up your EIN and employer tax accounts.
NannyChex Ease of Use
- Easy to use
- Knowledgeable payroll specialists
- Full-service package includes direct deposit payments
- Handles correspondence with tax agencies
- Unlimited and responsive customer support
NannyChex is very easy to set up and use. As soon as an agreement is reached, the company immediately sets up your EIN and tax accounts for both local and state levels. Also, payroll assistance and customer support are available.
What Users Think About NannyChex
As of this writing, there are very few up-to-date NannyChex reviews online. The ones I found are from several years ago and none are from popular reviews sites like G2 and Capterra. However, client testimonials on NannyChex’s website show positive feedback, with many users commending its responsive support team and excellent payroll services that make paying household employees easier for them.
Top NannyChex Alternatives
Best for: Households wanting a hands-off approach to nanny payroll
Best for: Households needing one point-of-contact for help managing their nanny payroll
Best for: Families requiring HR and tax support
Base monthly fee from: $75
Base monthly fee from: $39 plus $5 per employee
Base quarterly fee from: $150 to $225
If you need help evaluating which software is right for you, use our step-by-step guide on how to choose the best payroll service.
NannyChex is an all-in-one payroll service designed for household employers. It handles pay processes efficiently while providing reliable and expert support to fit your household staff’s unique payroll tax needs. You even get a dedicated specialist who can help you navigate the complexities of processing salary payments and taxes. Sign up for a NannyChex account today.