NannyChex is an exclusive pay-as-you-go payroll and tax solution that caters to household employers. You get a dedicated payroll specialist who handles your account every time—they even set up your tax accounts. Overall, it’s priced higher than some nanny payroll services. It does offer a cheaper alternative to full-service that includes tax management and help with payroll, but it’s on you to cut the checks.
What We Recommend NannyChex For
NannyChex is an all-in-one solution for first-time household employers who are clueless about domestic employment requirements. It has a comprehensive set of payroll, tax, and HR features that employers can trust if you want to have a total hands-off nanny payroll experience.
In short, NannyChex is best for:
- Parents/Families with temporary household employees: As a pay-as-you-go payroll solution, NannyChex doesn’t have a contract that you need to sign, especially if you just hire temporary household employees.
- Household employers who choose to withhold their employee’s income tax as a favor: You’re not legally obligated to withhold federal income taxes for household employees; however, if they request for you to do so and you agree, it’s a nice benefit. NannyChex doesn’t charge extra for withholding and paying that on your behalf; some providers refuse to include it with nanny payroll services.
When NannyChex Would Not Be a Good Fit
- Families on a tight budget: Although NannyChex has no registration and setup fees, household employers may find its service fees quite steep. It charges $125 for quarterly tax filing and $195 for W-2, W-3, and Schedule-H filing for the Tax-Only plan. The tax filing fees are quite lower for the Full-Service Plan, but it charges $6.25 to $12.50 for each deposited paycheck. If you want cheaper options, check out some of our other recommended nanny payroll services.
- Employers who want payroll software with multiple integrations: NannyChex can’t integrate with multiple systems. So, if you have existing third-party software that you would like to use with NannyChex, check out our guide to the best HR payroll solutions for more options.
Looking for something different? Read our guide to the best payroll services for small businesses to find a service or software that’s right for you.
|No registration and setup fees||No self-service portal|
|New hire reporting||No In-house printing of paper checks|
|Dedicated account specialist||Expensive year-end tax preparation|
NannyChex Pricing and Features
With NannyChex, the client has two service options: Taxes Only and Full Service Payroll. Both have free registration and setup.
Clients can get free payroll assistance for Taxes Only, but you will pay the employee on your own. Depending on the payment schedule, payroll assistance for Full Service costs $6.25 per check (weekly payroll) or $12.50 per check (biweekly to monthly payroll). There is a separate fee for quarterly tax filing and year-end report preparation, depending on the plan.
Registration and Setup fee
Free payroll assistance but the client pays the employees
$6.25 per check (weekly payroll) or $12.50 per check (biweekly, semimonthly, and monthly payroll)
$150 per quarter (tax filing); $195 for year-end tax preparation
$80 per quarter (tax filing); $150 for year-end tax preparation
NannyChex offers a comprehensive solution for household employers with minimal experience handling payroll and tax filing. It provides a dedicated account specialist that knows your account better than anyone. They can answer your questions about your taxes right away at no additional cost.
Here are some of NannyChex’s top features:
- Employer tax account and EIN set-up
- New hire reporting
- Processes payroll
- Pays and files federal, state, and local taxes
- Maintains all payroll and tax records
- Prepares and files year-end report including W-2, W-3, and Schedule H
- Sends reminder email requesting employee work hours each period
- Provides an easy-to-use paycheck calculator
- Tracks sick, PTO accruals, and vacation time
- Handles workers’ compensation audits, employment verifications, and unemployment insurance claims at no charge
- Dedicated account specialist
Let’s dive deeper into the features NannyChex offers:
NannyChex processes payroll for any pay schedule, and it can also:
- Handle overtime pay calculations based on the requirements set by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the state you live in
- Calculates, withholds, and pays your health insurance premiums and other contributions; plus automatically transfers the information to your payroll records
- Enables you to pay your employees via paycheck or direct deposit
Payroll Tax Management
NannyChex does the following:
- Helps you set up your EIN and local and state tax accounts
- Calculates, withholds, and deposits your local, state, and federal taxes on time
- Generates and files your quarterly and year-end federal and state tax reports
- Prepares your W-2 and Schedule H on your behalf
- Provides a team of payroll and tax experts that can assist you if you want to communicate with the IRS or any state taxing authority
HR and Time Management
NannyChex takes care of new hire reporting for you. It can also monitor your household employees’ sick and vacation leave, including PTO accruals.
NannyChex Ease of Use
- Easy to use
- Knowledgeable payroll specialists
- Payroll processing is fast
- Handles correspondence with tax agencies
- Responsive customer service
NannyChex is very easy to set up and use. As soon as an agreement is reached, the company immediately sets up your EIN and tax accounts for both local and state levels. Also, payroll assistance and customer support are available.
Top NannyChex Alternatives
Best for: Households that want a hands-off approach to nanny payroll
Best for: Households wanting one point-of-contact for help managing their nanny payroll
Best for: Families that need HR support
Base monthly fee from: $75
Base monthly fee from: Customized pricing
Base quarterly fee from: $150 to $225 per quarter
Year-end tax filing fee: $100
Year-end tax filing fee: Customized
Year-end tax filing fee: $100
If you need help evaluating which software is right for you, use our step-by-step guide to choosing the best payroll software.
What Users Think About NannyChex
Most NannyChex users left positive reviews. They pointed out that it is very easy to use and praised its very responsive payroll specialists. Meanwhile, others mentioned that it has a robust set of payroll and tax filing tools that can help process nanny payroll efficiently and accurately.
When reading through user reviews, I noticed some of these trends:
Users Don’t Like
No registration and setup fees
Charges fees for quarterly tax filing and year-end preparation
Robust payroll and tax features
In-house printing of paper checks is not available
Unlimited assistance from a personal account specialist
Limited third-party integrations
NannyChex is an all-in-one payroll service exclusively for household employers. It helps you handle payroll efficiently while providing reliable tax information and tax advice that’s unique to your needs. You can even provide an extra benefit and withhold federal income tax for your workers.
Schedule a free demo today.