This article is part of a larger series on How to Become a Real Estate Agent.
Obtaining your Alabama real estate license requires over 90 hours of high-quality pre- and post-licensing education and more for continuing education (CE) and broker licensing. To choose the right school, you need to evaluate the best online real estate schools in Alabama that provide engaging content, reasonable pricing, excellent ease of use, and course format variety to excel your educational experience in the Heart of Dixie.
- Best customizable continuing education and reciprocal education: The CE Shop
- Best for a variety of learning formats: Colibri Real Estate
- Best for upgrading to a broker’s license: MY Real Estate School
- Best for self-paced prelicensing education: Kaplan
- Best for the most affordable education for every stage of your career: Alabama Real Estate Institute
Best Online Schools in Alabama at a Glance
Education Provided & Starting Price
Broker licensing: $335
Exam prep: $79
Phone, email, and live chat
(Use Promo Code: FSB30 for 30% off)
Exam prep: $115
Phone, email, and live chat
(Promo Code: FSB25 for 25% off)
Broker licensing: $399
Exam prep: $95
Phone and email
Exam prep: $99
Phone, email, and live chat
(Use Promo Code: Kapre5 for 5% off)
Broker licensing: $295
Exam prep: $75
Phone and email
Things you need to know before enrolling for your Alabama real estate license education: Along with education requirements, there are additional steps to completing your real estate licensure. Check out our Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming a Real Estate Agent in Alabama to get started.
The CE Shop: Best for Customizable CE & Reciprocal Licensing
- No live webinars course formats
- No mobile app
- No 1:1 coaching and training
Our Expert Opinion on The CE Shop
The CE Shop ranks first as the best online real estate school in Alabama for its customizable CE courses. You can choose CE courses from a premade package or hand-pick from individual courses unique to The CE Shop to fulfill your Alabama license renewal hours. In addition, Alabama has reciprocity with all 50 states.
With the reciprocal courses at The CE Shop, you can easily earn your license in other states and Alabama.
The CE Shop offers extensive instructor and customer support to help students before, during, and after taking a course, guaranteeing that students get the highest return on their investment in education. Plus, students can effortlessly keep track of their progress due to its unique LEAP platform. Furthermore, its pass and money-back guarantees provide students with successful training resources to help them become real estate agents. To improve, The CE Shop should offer a mobile app for more convenience and flexibility.
- Accreditations: Association of Real Estate License Law Officials (ARELLO) and Alabama Real Estate Commission (AREC)
- Refund/cancellation policy: If you’re unhappy with a course, you have 30 days from the date of purchase to request a full refund as long as you’ve completed less than 50% of the course.
- Course access and extension: The CE Shop offers access to prelicensing and CE courses for six or 12 months after the date of purchase. Students who don’t finish the course within the access period can repurchase it within 30 days after the expiration for 50% of the retail cost.
- Agent essentials: Free materials for building a profession that can help you thrive in real estate. A few of these free resources are blogs, e-books, webinars, videos, and podcasts.
The CE Shop obtained a 4.05 out of 5 customer review rating for its clean, user-friendly, and direct teaching methodology. Many students applauded the ease and convenience of completing courses with The CE Shop, and many were repeat customers.
However, some individuals were not super-enthusiastic about the layout of the course or the materials and said its system was glitchy. Several students also wanted more narration within the class materials, so if that is something you’re looking for as well, try Kaplan’s on-demand options or the livestream format offered by Colibri Real Estate.
Read how our experts feel about this real estate school in our The CE Shop Review.
Similar to Kaplan and Colibri Real Estate, as a national provider, The CE Shop offers tiered packages tailored to your educational needs.
Colibri Real Estate: Most Course Format Variety
- No broker prelicensing courses
- No interactive study groups
- No mobile app
Our Expert Opinion on Colibri Real Estate
The Alabama real estate classes online format varieties available from Colibri Real Estate provide the educational support you need to get your real estate license. If you feel you can tackle the requirements independently, the self-paced courses allow you to navigate the classes and contact instructors for support if needed.
Meanwhile, the livestream courses can help hold you accountable by engaging with classmates and dedicated instructors. Both course formats have the unique add-ons of “Smart Bites” for retention assistance and classroom interactivity through the Learning Management System (LMS). Colibri Real Estate could enhance its services by offering interactive study groups to make classes more entertaining and engaging.
- Accreditations: ARELLO, International Distance Education Certification Center (IDECC), and AREC
- Pass or don’t pay guarantee: Students may submit their test results to Colibri Real Estate for a refund of the purchased package if they fail the state exam.
- Course extension: Colibri Real Estate enables you to extend the course, giving you access for an additional seven, 30, or 60 days, all for an additional cost.
- Exam prep resources: There are numerous practice examinations and flashcards included in the exam preparation. The Exam Prep Master course offers study materials, additional practice tests, and exam prep courses for students needing extra assistance with exam preparation.
Most students found that Kaplan’s self-paced courses fit perfectly into their lifestyle and highly recommend the live virtual components. One student also commented that the extra practice tests prepared her well for the state and national exams. As a result, Colibri Real Estate garnered a 4.15 out of 5 customer review rating.
Nevertheless, a student was unhappy and strongly suggested updating Colibri’s curriculum on the ethics portion for the state exam. Plus, Colibri Real Estate doesn’t offer interactive study groups and 1:1 coaching and training, so if you’re looking for more support and assistance, try Kaplan.
Read how our experts feel about this real estate school in our Colibri Real Estate Review.
Although the pricing may appear complicated, Colibri Real Estate differs from the other schools in giving you not only a choice of packages but also a choice of individualized courses from which to choose.
MY Real Estate School: Best for Upgrading a Broker License
- No refund policy
- Tiered packages or add-ons are not available
- No live chat customer support
Our Expert Opinion on MY Real Estate School
Mark Yarbough (MY) Real Estate School, which goes by MY Real Estate School, is a famous local real estate school in the Heart of Dixie. It offers Alabama real estate license courses online for aspiring and experienced agents, but in contrast to many other providers, it also provides broker prelicensing courses for agents ready to take their careers to the next level. Its broker licensing course covers 14 topics and multiple Alabama-specific topics, including Agency Relationships and Agreements and RECAD Law.
MY Real Estate School also partners with The CE Shop to deliver self-paced content for agents to complete the 60 hours of broker’s education according to their schedule. If you prefer a live classroom setting where you can be interactive, MY Real Estate School offers classroom courses. You can attend the class in person at one of its many locations or participate from home via a livestream webinar. It could improve its services by providing 24/7 and live chat customer support.
- Accreditation: AREC
- Refund/cancellation policy: MY Real Estate School only issues refunds within seven days of purchase and only if the course is not over 50% completed.
- Course extension policy: If you cannot complete your course within the six-month access period, extensions can be purchased through your online course portal. But the additional course access cannot exceed 18 months from the date of purchase, and time limits may also depend on state mandates.
- Veterans discount: All veterans receive a 10% off. You have to call 205-822-9322 for the discount voucher.
MY Real Estate School received a high customer review rating of 4.8 out of 5 for its highly experienced and knowledgeable instructors, real-life examples, and informative and engaging classes. A student praised MY Real Estate School for its excellent content that’s easy to comprehend and understand, helping her feel prepared for the exam.
Although there is endless praise online for the MY Real Estate School instructional team, some students needed help with the material and more instructor assistance. If you need more guidance and assistance with your education, look at Kaplan.
MY Real Estate School offers only one option for each licensing course. It’s worth noting that its prelicensing, post-licensing, and broker prelicensing courses are also offered in person.
*The CE courses are offered through its partner, The CE Shop.
Kaplan: Best for Self-paced Prelicensing Education
- No post-licensing and broker licensing courses
- No live webinar learning format
- No pass guarantee
Our Expert Opinion on Kaplan
Kaplan is an excellent choice for Alabama online real estate courses if you have a busy schedule. The 60 hours of required Alabama prelicensing education are available in various learning formats—self-paced and on-demand video. You can also choose from a basic package with just the required hours or higher tiers that include exam prep and live webinars with classmates and instructors.
Kaplan also features a simple learning management system (LMS) platform that reduces all the difficulties when taking an online course. Plus, Kaplan provides Interactive Study Groups—weekly live webinars covering the real estate exam’s state and national portions. These webinars allow you to engage with Kaplan’s expert instructors and classmates for a lively discussion of topics. Kaplan should consider offering post-licensing and broker licensing courses to improve its education quality.
- Accreditations: ARELLO, IDECC, and AREC
- PassProtection retake policy: Within six months of the date of purchase, students may retake the same programs if they fail to pass their license exam. Kaplan’s PassProtection Retakes are unlimited, although new course materials might be required.
- Virtual exam proctoring: The final exam will be proctored in Kaplan’s virtual classroom on the student’s LMS platform, allowing students to not worry about commuting and focus instead on passing their final exams.
- Exam prep tools and add-ons: Kaplan offers customizable drills, practice banks, a performance tracker, and additional study tools—math on-demand refresher course, real estate flashcards, exam prep apps, and study packages to help you ace the exam.
Kaplan Real Estate school students are happy with its highly qualified instructors, praising their professionalism, friendliness, and responsiveness. The interactive study group, in-depth explanations, and weekly resources provided by Kaplan are praised by students for helping them pass the real estate exam on their first attempt. With this, Kaplan received a 4.5 out of 5 customer review rating.
However, some students were disappointed, saying it has outdated content, and several students complained about system issues they faced while completing their course. We suggest The CE Shop if you’re seeking reasonably priced real estate education with intuitive navigation and straightforward dashboards.
Read how our experts feel about this real estate school in our Kaplan Review.
Kaplan provides tiered packaging, but on a simpler level than providers like Colibri Real Estate, making it easy to pick your courses and get the help you need.
Alabama Real Estate Institute: Most Affordable Licensing Education
- No live webinar learning format
- No pass guarantee
- No live chat or 24/7 customer support
Our Expert Opinion on Alabama Real Estate Institute
Alabama Real Estate Institute (AREI) boasts the most affordable salesperson broker prelicensing and post-licensing courses for Alabama real estate agents, starting at $30. All these courses are available through its partner company, The CE Shop, in a self-paced and on-demand video format so you can learn on your own schedule. Unlike other online real estate schools, AREI includes exam preparation as part of its packages, so you’ll be extra-prepared on exam day at no additional cost.
Aside from these, AREI provides AREC-approved education for general courses and reciprocal sales and broker licenses. It also offers training classes, training boot camps, productivity coaching, and motivational speakers for specialized events. The school could improve by offering career assistance and interactive study groups.
- Accreditations: ARELLO and AREC
- Refund/cancellation policy: Following the date of purchase, you have seven business days to cancel your registration. Registration cancellation requests must be made by contacting the school by phone or email. The cancellation fee is 15% of the total purchase price.
- Reciprocal license: AREI offers a reciprocal license course if you want to practice real estate in Alabama as a salesperson or broker yet are already licensed in another state.
- Technical support: AREI’s hours of operations are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. Eastern Time to 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time, while its email support is available during regular business hours.
Although the Alabama Real Estate Institute has very few online reviews, it has a perfect 5 out of 5 customer rating that indicates a great learning experience. Students commented that they loved the school’s informative course, knowledgeable instructors, and easy-to-navigate and understand course materials that helped her prepare for the state real estate test.
Yet, students wished for more real-time and live interaction with their instructors and classmates. As Alabama Real Estate Institute courses are completely self-paced, we would recommend Colibri Real Estate or Kaplan if you’d prefer more live interactive features.
The packages provided by Alabama Real Estate Institute are simple compared to other national providers because it only offers limited add-ons and standard course materials.
*All self-paced courses are offered through its partner company, The CE Shop.
How We Evaluated the Best Online Real Estate Schools in Alabama
Earning your real estate license in any state is a challenging feat. With online real estate schools, you can enhance the learning experience as these education providers include interactive features, live virtual instruction, self-paced options, and customer service accessibility right from your favorite spot on the couch. National and local online providers offer Alabama Real Estate Commission-approved (AREC) courses to ensure you fulfill the state’s requirements and are well on your way to starting or continuing a promising real estate career.
Although there are many accredited online real estate schools, The CE Shop is our top pick for real estate schools in Alabama due to its self-paced online prelicensing option, customizable courses, downloadable content, and interactive platform. In addition, it offers live components to enhance your familiarity with course material, expert faculty assistance, and reasonable pricing.
Further criteria we used to determine the best online real estate schools in Alabama are:
25% of Overall Score
Consists of various formatting and learning styles for each course to meet the specific needs of the agent as well as ease of course accessibility.
20% of Overall Score
Pricing is based on the cost and availability of pre- and post-licensing, continuing education courses, and exam prep for each online institution.
15% of Overall Score
The availability of each level of education for different stages of licensure. This would include pre- and post-licensing, continuing education courses, broker prelicensing, and exam prep.
15% of Overall Score
Extending services past licensure, such as coaching and training and career assistance. Also, whether the provider offers pass or refund guarantees for its courses.
10% of Overall Score
Based on customer feedback for each program, with particular attention given to reviews of the product and popularity of the provider, to certify the course meets user satisfaction.
10% of Overall Score
Expertise in the field and firsthand experience with the providers allow us to evaluate the standout features, value for the money, and ease of use for each school.
5% of Overall Score
We looked into the convenience and attainability of customer service for technical support and instructor assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, you can complete almost all the requirements for obtaining a real estate license online. You can take and finish your prelicensing courses online and pass your final exam at home with an online proctor. However, the real estate license state exam must be taken in person, but you can submit your application online.
Getting a real estate license in Alabama can be challenging. But follow these nine easy steps, and you’ll launch your career in Alabama real estate in no time.
- Complete a 60-hour salesperson prelicensing course
- Pre-register with the Alabama Real Estate Commission
- Pass the prelicensing course final exam (passing rate: 70%)
- Schedule and pass the Alabama Real Estate Exam (passing rate: 70%)
- Complete a background check
- Find a sponsoring broker to hire you
- Apply for a temporary Alabama real estate license
- Complete 30-hour post-licensing education
- Apply for a real estate salesperson’s original license
To obtain and become eligible to get a real estate license in Alabama, you have to meet all the following requirements below:
- You must be 19 years of age and above.
- You must be a citizen of the U.S. or have documentation from the federal government establishing a permanent resident status.
- You must be a resident of the State of Alabama or agree to other provisions, which you can explain upon request.
- You must not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty or nolo contendere to a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude.
- You must be a high school graduate or the equivalent.
- You must complete a 60-Hour Salesperson Prelicense Course before applying for a temporary license.