17 Vital Real Estate Marketing Statistics 2023
This article is part of a larger series on How to Become a Real Estate Agent.
In a highly competitive real estate marketplace, real estate agents must know the latest marketing trends and statistics to continuously increase their brand awareness, generate leads, and drive traffic to their websites. Understanding the latest real estate marketing statistics allows real estate agents to make informed decisions about allocating their marketing budget to receive optimal marketing results and stay ahead of their competition.
We’ve researched the top real estate agent marketing statistics agents should know in 2023 for optimal business growth.
General Real Estate Marketing Statistics
Real estate agents who want to grow their business and generate more leads should look to real estate marketing data to help them determine which marketing channels to begin with. With so many marketing options available to real estate agents, focusing on the right marketing channels will provide the highest return on your investment.
1. 21% of homesellers want a real estate agent to price their homes competitively
The 2022 Home Buyers and Sellers Generational Trends Report by the National Association of Realtors (NAR) found that 21% of sellers’ top reason to hire an agent is to help them competitively price their home.
But coming in at just 1% under that is hiring an agent to help market the property to potential buyers. This includes tasks like creating online listings, taking professional photographs, and developing a marketing strategy to attract potential buyers.
- Beyond being able to access available listings or showing properties, sellers are more interested in having an agent assist with selling a property because of their marketing skills.
- Agents who have strong marketing skills and can effectively promote their clients’ properties are likely to be more successful in attracting and retaining clients in the future.
2. 41% of homebuyers’ first step during the buying process was to look at properties online
This statistic is crucial for experienced and aspiring real estate agents to understand that before a client contacts them, they have already completed their own research online. For the first step of the buying process, 41% of homebuyers looked online for properties for sale, and 10% of homebuyers looked online for information about the homebuying process.
These numbers emphasize the role that the internet and digital marketing play in the homebuying process and how it’s essential for real estate agents to have a solid online presence and effective digital marketing strategies to attract potential buyers.
- A comprehensive online marketing strategy is required of real estate agents to promote their sales listings. Listings now must include detailed property information, professional photographs, and virtual tours to provide a clear and engaging view of the property.
- Real estate agents must be up to date with the latest technology. This includes using digital signatures, client relationship management (CRM) systems, and other tools to make the buying process as efficient and stress-free as possible.
3. 53% of sellers used the same agent to buy & sell their homes
The NAR report found that 53% of sellers use the same agent to buy and sell their homes. However, as the seller’s age increased, using the same real estate agent declined as the distance an individual moved increased.
- By providing exceptional service and maintaining regular communication with clients, real estate agents can build trust and loyalty with their clients and increase the likelihood of repeat business and referrals.
- Add clients to an email marketing campaign or monthly newsletter. This will foster deeper connections and encourage future business.
- Implementing a CRM can help facilitate communication between you and your clients.
Agents don’t need to invest in the most expensive CRM for it to be effective. CRM platforms like HubSpot have free tools for agents to test out some of their foundational marketing, sales, and operation tools before committing to an annual plan. The free plan even allows agents to build a website with a custom domain. The platform provides agents with a visual dashboard to help track and analyze sales activity, and it offers 24/7 support.
4. 451% increase in qualified leads through marketing automation software
Marketing automation software helps real estate agents increase efficiency by automating repetitive tasks, such as lead nurturing and follow-up. According to Act, marketing automation tools increase lead engagement and improve sales. marketing alignment. and productivity by 451%, and lead quantity increases by 80%
- Automating daily repetitive tasks like lead nurturing with marketing automation software, real estate agents can save time and increase productivity to focus on other important tasks that require their physical presence.
- Invest in marketing automation tools to streamline your business.
Marketing automation software has significantly changed how real estate agents approach their marketing efforts. Some of the best real estate marketing companies listed below are equipped with the right tools to assist with effectively implementing marketing automation:
Email marketing and drop campaigns
Customizable real estate websites
Creation of listing marketing materials
Generating and nurturing leads
Real Estate Social Media Statistics
Social media is a powerful and effective marketing tool for real estate agents. Real estate agents who use social media can build their brand following, engage with buyers and sellers digitally, and generate leads by showcasing their services and skills. Understanding the real estate facts for social media marketing allows agents to focus on the social platforms that will reach a wider audience.
5. In 2023, there are 4.9 billion social media users in the world
With social media users continuously increasing, it’s forecasted that the number of users will increase to 5.85 billion by 2027, up from the current 4.9 billion users in 2023.
The increasing number of social media users is a huge opportunity for real estate agents to expand their reach to generate new business. Not only should agents advertise on social platforms, but it’s an opportunity for real estate agents to showcase their expertise by providing valuable content and insights on the real estate market.
- Social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, offer powerful marketing and advertising tools that let agents target specific demographics and increase the visibility of their listings.
- Check out the 9 Best Real Estate Social Media Marketing Companies that help with content creation, advertising, and automation expertise to ensure your marketing produces quality leads and engagement.
Constant Contact is a robust digital marketing platform that offers a plethora of tools and services to help real estate professionals expand their businesses and establish strong relationships with their clients. With Constant Contact, agents can execute effective marketing campaigns on email and social media. The platform’s intuitive interface and customizable features make it an ideal solution for real estate agents of all experience levels, allowing them to focus on growing their businesses and connecting with prospective clients.
6. 90% of agents use Facebook to promote real estate listings
Facebook is the most popular social media platform for real estate marketing. In fact, 90% of real estate agents use it to promote their listings to the public.
Instagram comes in second, with 52% of agents using it, and 48% of agents using LinkedIn. Agents who are not leveraging the top three social platforms popular with real estate agents are missing out on a market share of prospective clients.
- Facebook’s advertising tools allow agents to target specific demographics and interests, increasing the likelihood of reaching potential buyers who are most likely to be interested in the listing.
- The visual platform and social nature of Facebook make it ideal for sharing and promoting real estate listings. Listings with video content, professional photos, and detailed property information can generate strong engagement and sharing, leading to more visibility and potential leads.
Visit our article 6 Most Effective Ways to Generate Facebook Real Estate Leads to gain a further understanding of how you can leverage Facebook for your real estate business.
7. Video content on social media generates 1,200% more shares than text & image content combined
Video content on social media generates 1,200% more shares than text and image content combined, highlighting the powerful impact that video can have in social media marketing.
By incorporating video content into their social media strategies, real estate agents can increase engagement and shareability, ultimately leading to more visibility and leads. Video content can also help build trust and credibility with potential clients, as it provides a more authentic and personal way to connect with them.
- Video content is highly visual and can provide a more comprehensive view of the property, allowing potential buyers to get a better sense of the layout and features of the home.
REDX is a real estate lead generating platform. In addition to its calling lists, it has a BrandBuilder tool that allows real estate agents to build and manage their brands across different social media channels. The brand builder tools allow agents to create and customize their social media videos, ads, posts, and edit their profiles. Agents looking to establish a strong and effective brand presence online can leverage REDX’s BrandBuilder to help convert social leads into new business opportunities.
Email Marketing Statistics
With a well-crafted email marketing campaign, real estate agents can engage with their audience, promote listings, and build long-term client relationships. Email marketing allows agents to reach a large audience with targeted and personalized messages at a relatively low cost. The latest email marketing trends can help agents maximize the impact of their campaigns and generate more leads and sales.
8. The average expected return on investment for email marketing is $40 for every $1 you spend
This represents a significant return on investment (ROI) for real estate agents who invest in email marketing campaigns. Several factors contribute to the high rate, like the ability to send campaigns to a targeted list of clients, track and analyze email campaign performance, and have a high engagement and conversion rate. Agents can take advantage of the high $40 ROI and get more leads on email campaigns by ensuring their email messaging matches their curated audience list.
- Email campaigns are highly trackable and measurable, allowing real estate agents to analyze the performance of their campaigns and make adjustments as needed.
- Purchasing targeted email marketing lists can be a useful strategy for real estate agents looking to expand their reach and connect with potential clients.
9. In 2022, the average open rate for real estate emails was 21.7% & the average click-through rate was 3.6%
Email open rate refers to the percentage of recipients who open an email, while click-through rate refers to the percentage of recipients who click on a link within the email.
The 21.7% open rate for real estate is a bit higher than the average of 21.5%. Knowing the average open and click-through rates for real estate emails can help agents understand how well their email campaigns perform and make data-driven decisions to improve their results. These provide insight into the effectiveness of the email’s subject line, content, and call to action.
Advertising & Marketing
Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing & Hunting
Consumer Packaged Goods
Restaurant, Food & Beverage
Government & Politics
Logistics & Wholesales
Media, Entertainment, Publishing
Real Estate, Design, Construction
Travel, Hospitality, Leisure
Wellness & Fitness
Email Marketing Benchmarks and Statistics for 2022 (Source: Campaign Monitor)
- By creating compelling subject lines and content that resonates with their audience, agents can increase the likelihood that recipients will open their emails and engage with their message.
- One way to improve email open and click-through rates is to focus on personalization. By addressing recipients by name, segmenting email lists by interests and behaviors, and tailoring content to the needs and preferences of the audience, real estate agents can increase the relevance and engagement of their email campaigns.
Check out our 8 Ready-to-Use Real Estate Email Marketing Templates for inspiration.
Real Estate Video Statistics
Video marketing has become an essential tool for real estate agents, showcasing properties and providing virtual property tours to potential buyers. The rise of social media platforms with audiences that desire short-form and long-form videos like those on YouTube and Facebook makes using video in your marketing a powerful tool. Video real estate marketing can increase engagement and generate more leads, as video content is more likely to be shared and viewed than text-based content.
10. In 2023, over 80% of internet traffic is projected to come from video content
According to Statista, online videos can reach 93% of the global internet users, making it the most popular online format. The type of content can range from educational to tutorials and product review videos. Real estate agents who can produce online videos can capture 20% to 30% of worldwide users plus maximize exposure in their local markets.
- Given that over 80% of internet traffic will be generated from video content in 2023, real estate agents must shift their static marketing to accommodate capturing new opportunities.
11. Real estate listings with video receive 403% more inquiries than those without video on real estate-specific websites
Real estate-specific websites benefit from having videos because they generate 403% more inquiries than similar websites without listings. Agents can provide a more immersive and interactive experience for potential buyers by using video content to showcase properties which will ultimately lead to more inquiries and sales.
- Video allows clients to visualize themselves in the property and get a better sense of the property’s features and layout. This increased engagement can lead to higher conversion rates and, ultimately, more sales.
To learn how to create your own video for virtual property tours, visit our article How to Create a Virtual Tour for Real Estate in 8 Steps (+ Examples).
Print & Direct Mail Marketing Statistics
In today’s fast-paced digital world, print and direct mail marketing may seem like outdated strategies for real estate agents. However, these traditional marketing channels continue to play a vital role in the industry, offering unique benefits that cannot be matched by digital channels alone. From postcards to brochures, print and direct mail effectively reach potential clients and promote real estate listings.
Continue reading these real estate agent marketing statistics and learn how to leverage more traditional strategies to reach and convert leads.
12. 63% of Gen Z consumers are more excited about direct mail now than they were in 2021
A recent report by RRD Marketing Solutions states that 63% of Gen Z consumers are more excited about direct mail now than a year ago. This represents a significant shift in the preferences of this younger demographic, who are often thought of as being more digitally focused.
The report suggests that Gen Z consumers are drawn to the tactile and personalized nature of direct mail, which can offer a unique and engaging experience compared to other marketing channels.
- Real estate agents should not overlook the Gen Z demographic when considering their target audience for direct mail strategies.
- Creating personalized and engaging direct mail campaigns allow agents to connect with potential clients in a meaningful way.
ProspectsPLUS! is a direct mail marketing provider that allows real estate agents to send physical mailer campaigns. Agents can select from a variety of mailer formats like flyers, postcards, door hangers, etc. For agents who don’t have already established contact lists, they can purchase various contact lists through ProspectsPLUS! based on interests, demographic, or through Every Day Door Mailers service. The high-quality printing and mail services offered ensure agents’ direct mailers stand out for better lead generation.
13. 70% of real estate agents mailed postcards in quantities of 750 cards or less
The higher the quantity of mailers or larger the contact list for print mailers doesn’t always mean you’ll get more leads. In 2021, PostcardMania found that three out of every four direct mailer batch was 500 pieces or less, and less than 1% of their mailing was sent out to 10,000 contacts at a time.
Given most agents send mailers in quantities of 750 or less, agents who are just starting out or don’t have a large contact list should not be discouraged from executing direct mail marketing strategies. As the business grows and you collect more contact information, agents can gradually increase their direct mail efforts.
- Rather than sending mass mailings to a broad audience, agents use postcards as a targeted tool to reach specific demographics and neighborhoods. This approach can result in a more engaged and receptive audience.
Take a look through the Top 27 Real Estate Postcard Templates & Examples to start creating your own postcards.
Mobile Real Estate Marketing Statistics
Mobile devices have become an essential part of modern life, and this trend is particularly evident in the real estate industry. Today’s consumers use their smartphones and tablets to search for properties, connect with agents, and browse real estate listings. As a result, real estate agents must adopt mobile-friendly marketing strategies to meet the needs of this increasingly mobile audience.
14. 74% of homebuyers used mobile or tablet search devices to search for properties in 2022
Real estate agents must ensure that their website and marketing content are mobile-friendly and easily accessible to potential clients on the go. Even though real estate agents were the number one source of information for homebuyers at 87%, 74% of homebuyers used their mobile or tablet for information searches.
- Leverage mobile-friendly marketing strategies to get your consumers from print marketing to mobile or desktop to mobile by using QR codes.
- Marketing materials should be optimized so consumers can view your listing information and have contact information readily accessible on smartphones and tablets. If the mobile user experience is too difficult, and consumers cannot quickly get the information they want, they will move on to the next property or agent website.
15. 54% of consumers will pay attention to your mobile ad because of brand familiarity
Agents are 54% more likely to get the attention of their target audience with stronger brand recognition than creative content or a promotional offer. This statistic shows the importance of building brand awareness in your market strategy. However, at 52%, interesting and creative content is a close second to grabbing consumers’ attention.
- Instead of bombarding your clients with mobile ads, real estate agents should invest in high-quality, targeted ads that showcase their brand and reputation.
- Create matching brand material on all platforms both online and offline to bring awareness through recognition of your brand.
To help create and develop brand familiarity, real estate agents can hire independent freelance marketers on Fiverr to assist with creating their brand identity. Items like a designated color palette, logo, and branded marketing materials can contribute to your overall brand identity. The freelancers at Fiverr also can work on a project-to-project basis, depending on your marketing budget without needing to hire full-time team members.
Leveraging Artificial Intelligence for Marketing
Artificial intelligence (AI) is rapidly transforming the marketing industry, and real estate agents can benefit from utilizing this cutting-edge technology to improve their marketing efforts. Using AI-powered tools, agents can analyze data, personalize marketing messages, and automate tasks, ultimately resulting in more effective and efficient marketing campaigns.
16. In 2023, 44% of marketers plan to increase their use of AI in marketing
For real estate agents, AI-powered tools can provide a range of benefits like automating tasks, analyzing data, and personalizing marketing messages. Marketing professionals have listed other popular uses of AI.
According to Artificial Intelligence (AI) Marketing Benchmark Report, in addition to the 44% of marketers who use AI, 12.3% use AI for conversion optimization, and 11.7% use AI for chatbots and customer service. The increase in leveraging AI in marketing could help agents free up manual tasks while also helping new agents communicate and understand their clients better.
- These real estate statistics reflect a growing recognition of the value of AI in improving the efficiency and effectiveness of marketing efforts.
- With 36.6% of the marketing world still not leveraging AI, agents who incorporate AI into their business can help them stay ahead of the competition with enhanced marketing strategies.
17. 33% of people believe AI & machine learning (ML) tools save time & enhance customer experiences
AI can power a real estate agent’s lead generation, personalized marketing, and customer engagement. In fact, tasks that normally would require a larger team or substantial time to complete are now being completed by AI and ML tools.
According to Statista, 33% of individuals are saving time with these tools, 33% are using them to enhance customer experience, and 31% are getting better insight into their audience through AI and ML. Agents who learn to embrace AI and ML as tools to help their productivity will see a significant increase in their ability to utilize their time better and deliver more value to their clients.
- Agents could use AI to help them analyze their real estate sales data to help determine where they should focus their efforts.
- In addition to AI, other significant automation trends involve using machine learning and data analytics to improve marketing campaign performance, complete internal workflows, and increase customer engagement.
The real estate marketing landscape is continuously evolving with the increase of social media, video marketing, and the need for more personalized content. Although the marketing landscape is moving toward digital platforms, there is still power in direct mail marketing that shouldn’t be overlooked. It’s essential to understand these latest real estate marketing stats and trends so agents can generate more leads, increase brand visibility, and ultimately grow their business.