This article is part of a larger series on VoIP.
The best voice-over-IP training certifications offer comprehensive multimedia courses and online exams. They’re a good fit for many professionals, including business owners, system administrators, and information technology (IT) consultants. Plus, successfully completing industry-recognized voice-over-IP training provides credentials to enhance your resume and reputation.
Based on our research, the best voice-over-IP training certifications and courses are:
- The SIP School Voice and Video over IP (SSVVP): Best overall, and top choice for businesses wanting vendor-neutral, voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) training
- Cisco Certified Network Professional Collaboration (CCNP): Best for individuals wanting to expand their career prospects in the VoIP engineering industry with one of the most widely recognized certifications
- Avaya Certified Implementation Specialist (ACIS): Top option for freelance techs, Avaya users, and job seekers looking for vendor-specific training
- Telecommunications Certification Organization (TCO) Boot Camp: Best for non-engineers wanting live sessions about VoIP and session internet protocol (SIP)
- RingCentral MVP Training: Great choice for small to mid-sized businesses needing admin or user training for VoIP installation and management
Best Voice-over-IP Training Certifications & Courses at a Glance
Voice-over-IP Training Courses
Access Time to Course Materials
Networking 4 VVoIP* training and exam: $384
CLCOR** training: $1,500, Core exam: $400
ACIS-6202 Avaya Aura Contact Center training: $3,500, Exam: $125
No stated limitation
CVA Certified VoIP analyst: $459 for training, exam, and certification
No stated limitation
Virtual RingCentral MVP 2-hour training: $800, Full-day advanced admin on-site training: $2,500
No stated limitation
*Voice and Video-over-IP
**Implementing and Operating Cisco Collaboration Core Technologies
SIP School SSVVP: Best Overall Voice-Over-IP Training Certifications & Courses
*SIP School may offer discounts for groups.
**Voice and Video over IP
***SIP School VVoIP Professional
****SIP School Certified Associate
*****Web Real-Time Communication and WebRTC School Qualified Integrator
SIP School earns first place in our list of the best voice-over-IP training certification programs, in part because it’s affordable and flexible. SIP School Voice and Video over IP (SSVVP) certification costs less than TCO, Cisco, or Avaya. Plus, they offer a range of courses well-suited for beginning through advanced users.
The SSVVP program includes 13 hours of training, lab exercises, and sample quizzes. It covers voice, video, local area networks (LANs), and wide area networks (WANs). You can even learn how to set up a VoIP system and troubleshoot it.
Other certifications range from four hours for the SIP School Sales Professional (SSSP) course to 30 hours for the SIP School Certified Associate (SSCA) program. The SSCA certification is similar to Cisco’s CCNA course at a much lower cost. Both the WebRTC and the WSQI exams test your knowledge of the infrastructure involved in WebRTC.
SIP School also gives you access to the program materials for 12 months, considerably longer than the 180 days provided for Cisco’s self-paced sessions. The SIP School’s courses are industry-recognized programs endorsed by Avaya, AT&T, Phone.com, Verizon, and several others.
SIP School SSVVP Features
- Crypto payment options: SIP School is the only training provider on our list that accepts cryptocurrency payments as well as credit cards and PayPal. Accepted cryptocurrencies include Bitcoin, Dogecoin, and Ethereum.
- Modules: If you need to concentrate on VoIP, video, or troubleshooting networks, you can choose the modules you want to learn about first. This option lets you prioritize training for real-life applications.
- CE credits: Completing the SSVVP certification course earns you 11 continuing education credits toward Building Industry Consulting Service International (BICSI) certifications, globally recognized programs for information and communications technology (ICT) professionals.
Cisco CCNP: Best for Individuals Focused on Career Advancement
*Core exam and one concentration exam is required to obtain the Cisco CCNP certification. Training courses are optional.
Cisco, a major provider of IT products and services, offers 20 professional certifications. Among these is one of our top picks for voice-over-IP training, the Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) Collaboration.
Cisco’s certification stands out for giving you a competitive advantage when applying for jobs. It’s commonly listed as preferred or even required in job posts for network or VoIP engineers and VoIP technicians. According to Enlyft, Cisco VoIP has 24% of the market share, and an estimated 13,956 businesses use it. In comparison, 3,696 use Avaya while 2,643 use RingCentral.
Cisco’s voice-over-IP training certification consists of two exams. The core exam is required, but for the second you can choose your preferred specialty, such as conferencing, collaboration applications, or call control and mobility services. Cisco provides optional training courses for all exams with prices starting at $1,000 for a self-paced, on-demand, e-learning class.
Cisco CCNP Features
- Multiple certifications: While many employers request the CCNP, others accept the associate-level Implementing and Administering Cisco Solutions (CCNA) certificate. This is one exam and employers specifically recommend it for IT techs.
- Individual specialist certification: Along with learning about collaboration infrastructure, all CCNP Collaboration programs let you pick a niche. Options include collaboration applications, advanced call control and mobility services, cloud and Edge solutions, conferencing, and automation for Cisco solutions.
- Various training formats and materials: Cisco offers virtual, in-person, group, and self-paced learning sessions. Courses take roughly eight days to complete, but the self-paced courses allow up to 180 days. You can buy practice tests and physical textbooks, view digital content like videos, or participate in online discussions.
Avaya ACIS: Best Vendor-specific Support Training
*Additional labs or courses may be offered for an extra charge, depending on the chosen learning track.
Avaya ACIS’ voice-over-IP training is a top choice for IT consultants wanting to provide implementation and support services. Take the training course or skip right to the test that certifies that you understand how to install, deploy, and troubleshoot the implementation of Avaya products.
You will typically find around 40 or more jobs listed requesting ACIS certification (compared to more than 3,500 for Cisco CCNP). While Avaya’s certification tests cost less than Cisco’s, you’ll pay more than double for the training sessions. Depending on your chosen track, sessions range from 24 to 40 hours.
Avaya offers online or proctored exams that you can take in-person at many community and state colleges. The voice-over-IP training certificate is good for two years, similar to SIP School but a year less than Cisco. It’s advisable to have familiarity with an Avaya product to take this course. Otherwise, the Sip School’s Voice and Video over IP (SSVVP) may be a better choice.
Avaya ACIS Features
- Digital badges: Both Cisco and Avaya provide digital badges that include your name, the date certification was issued, when it expires, and the core skills associated with the ACIS. Display badges on your resume and your website, LinkedIn, and other online channels.
- Career path visualization: Avaya ACIS certification provides several ways to advance your career. Programs fall into three categories: sales and design, implementation and support, and administrator and developer. Each track includes a visual graph showing growth possibilities.
- Individual courses: Take Avaya training sessions without taking the certification exam, choosing from entry-level to advanced classes to fill knowledge gaps. Key instructional areas include contact centers, messaging, networking, small-medium enterprises, and unified communications.
TCO Boot Camp: Best Live VoIP & SIP Training for Non-engineers
*Group rates available when buying courses for five or more employees.
The Telecommunications Certification Organization (TCO) offers industry-recognized voice-over-IP training certification and courses for non-engineers. Unlike SIP School, TCO delivers live seminars in online and in-person events. The best value is TCO Boot Camp, which comes with three certifications: Certified Telecommunications Network Specialist (CTNS), Certified VoIP Analyst (CVA), and Certified Telecommunications Analyst (CTA).
The TCO Boot Camp includes five full-day classes. TCO designed them with non-engineer professionals in mind, so the courses and related materials use plain English rather than highly technical language. TCO’s curriculum isn’t designed for engineers. Instead, expect coursework teaching how to perform analysis, write reports, and make recommendations about VoIP systems rather than directly repairing or upgrading them.
TCO Boot Camp Features
- Flexible options: If you already have a handle on the fundamentals of telecom, broadband, datacom, and networking, attend only the last two days of Boot Camp. Learn about VoIP, security, 5G, and the internet of things (IoT) and earn your CVA certificate.
- Content formats: In-person sessions also include 29 online multimedia classes and two full-color printed manuals. According to Teracom Training Institute, the guides have been called “the best on-the-job reference tool around.” Plus, you have the option to buy an optional Telecom 101 textbook in print or as an e-book.
- Non-engineering approach: The courses explore technical jargon, fundamentals, and the latest technologies in the networking, telecom, and datacom sectors. They’re a good fit for professionals making technology decisions. However, if you’re an IT technician, you may prefer SIP School’s SSVVP certification.
RingCentral MVP Training: Best for RingCentral System Administrators & Users
RingCentral’s MVP user and administrator training programs provide two learning paths: basic and advanced. The courses focus on how to implement, use, and troubleshoot your small business phone system.
Unlike the lengthy sessions offered by Cisco or Avaya, RingCentral’s classes run about 128 total minutes plus the extra time required to practice your skills in real life. Best of all, RingCentral doesn’t charge a fee to participate in RingCentral University programs unless you want on-site or live virtual training sessions.
The RingCentral training program is a great choice for small to mid-sized businesses switching to a VoIP system. It helps your IT team prepare for a seamless transition, and the training videos offer support to current team members and can become part of your new employee onboarding plan.
RingCentral MVP Training Features
- Analytics: Data visualization helps businesses by providing information on important metrics like user productivity and overall performance. Using RingCentral for report generation helps provide these types of essential metrics. The 60-minute analytics webinar and supporting content covers report types and use cases for each.
- Employee training: Switching from a public switched telephone network (PTSN) to a cloud-based VoIP system can be challenging for employees. The user basics and advanced programs include four 15-minute video trainings in core categories like message, video, phone, and fax.
- Security: Learn how to set user roles and permissions while managing devices using RingCentral’s MVP training. There’s a short video series and a template for creating user profiles.
How We Evaluated the Best Voice-Over-IP Training Certifications & Courses
While there are many VoIP training certifications and courses, only a few are industry-recognized. We specifically looked for voice-over-IP training programs referenced in job ads as either required or preferred. However, we also considered entry- and mid-level courses that provide a good general overview of VoIP, video, and SIP systems.
We considered criteria such as:
- Overall costs for training and exams
- Core technologies covered
- Certification expiration dates
- Course ranges and levels
- Availability of continuing education credits
- Amount of time given to access classes and materials
- Value provided depending on specific use cases
The SIP School SSVVP certification earns the top spot based on our criteria for the best voice-over-IP training certifications and courses. It offers individual modules and course content is accessible for 12 months. The SSVVP is also the least expensive, vendor-independent certification on our list, making it an excellent choice for yourself or your IT staff.
According to Cisco, 78% of technology executives and managers consider technical certifications to be vitally important for success. In short, voice-over-IP training certifications and courses from industry-recognized programs can improve your team’s skill set or boost your own career outlook.
Our top pick for best voice-over-IP certification is SIP School’s SSVVP program, which delivers VoIP and SIP fundamentals in a multimedia format. The cost is reasonable, and the full course outline and a video demonstration is available to view on their website. If you’re interested in a certificate for yourself or your staff, check out SIP School.