Voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) business phone systems are internet-based services that provide calling and texting service at substantial cost savings compared to landline systems. They also provide advanced features like automated attendants and built-in video calling. We evaluated a dozen systems based on pricing and features to determine the best for small business.
6 Best Small Business VoIP Services 2020
(Best Overall) Businesses that want a powerful phone solution for an affordable price
Teams that want a free, professionally recorded voice greeting with their phone service
Companies with international contacts that need unlimited overseas calling
Businesses looking to add individual features on an a la carte basis
Companies seeking a flexible range of a la carte plans
Small businesses looking for a service with simple, streamlined pricing
How We Evaluated Small Business VoIP Providers
The best small business phone services should offer a high-quality call experience with pricing plans teams of 20 or less can afford. Systems should also be easy enough to set up and use for workers who are not tech experts. Advanced functionality, including mobile apps, file sharing, and toll-free numbers, separate the best systems from their competitors.
We evaluated VoIP systems based on the following:
- Initial setup and on-going ease of use
- Call management features and added functionality like auto-attendants
- Customer relationship management (CRM) or similar business tool integration
- System reliability and overall sound quality
- Customer support options
Based on the above factors, we find that RingCentral is the best overall choice for the majority of small businesses in the market for a new VoIP service. The system has a powerful set of features and different pricing plans to meet most budgets. It also has an exceptionally smooth user interface and advanced features like video conferencing accommodate remote teams.
Take our quiz to find out if RingCentral is the best service for you.
Which VoIP Provider Is Right for You?
RingCentral: Best Overall Small Business VoIP Service
RingCentral is a small business VoIP system that comes standard with unlimited domestic calling and an automated attendant to handle your incoming calls without human intervention. Pricing starts at $19.99 per user, per month for two to 19 users on an annual basis. This is our best overall pick for VoIP systems because it offers the ideal balance of affordability, features, and usability.
Exceptionally easy to use
Could be overkill for smaller teams
Local, toll-free, and vanity numbers available
No free professional voiceover recorder
Video conferencing for up to 200 people
Integrations locked behind more expensive packages
- Essentials: $19.99 per user, per month for up to 20 users, unlimited calling, and unlimited texting*
- Standard: $24.99 per user, per month with unlimited audio conferencing and video meetings for up to 100 participants*
- Premium: $34.99 per user, per month with unlimited call recording, analytics, and integrations with outside business software*
- Ultimate: $49.99 per user, per month with device status reports and unlimited storage*
*Pricing is on an annual basis for two to 19 users. Volume discounts are available, and so are monthly plans that come at an extra cost.
In an attempt to ease some of the strain caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, RingCentral has temporarily made their Office Premium tier free for K-12 educators, healthcare providers, and nonprofit organizations. This provides, among other things, a free automated attendant, and video conferencing for up to 100 people. You can read their COVID-19 offer page for more details.
- Automated attendant: RingCentral can greet and route all incoming callers without human intervention, just like many of its alternatives.
- Software integration: Intermediate and advanced versions of the service offer the ability to connect call data with Slack, Salesforce, and other popular business software applications.
- Video conferencing: RingCentral offers HD video meetings with up to 200 people at once, saving businesses from needing to use a third-party meeting service like GoToMeeting or Join.me.
- Robust mobile app: Many of the service’s robust features are also supported by its mobile app, which allows businesses to support bring-your-own-device (BYOD) initiatives. This also makes the service a flexible business cell phone plan for teams.
For more information on RingCentral and its wealth of features, check out our RingCentral user reviews page.
Nextiva: Best Small Business VoIP Phone Service for Professional Greetings
Nextiva is a small business VoIP service that offers unlimited calling, robust call management features, and outstanding customer service. Pricing starts at $27.95 per user, per month for five to 19 users on an annual basis. Perhaps best of all, Nextiva offers a free professionally recorded voice recording for your phone system in its more premium plans. This is great for teams that want to command a more professional and personal telephony presence.
Mobile apps for iOS and Android
Somewhat dated interface
Free professionally recorded voice greeting in advanced plans
Annual plans require a 36-month agreement
Unlimited domestic calling
Lacks unlimited international calling
- Essential: $27.95 per user, per month for unlimited calling and a free local or toll-free number*
- Professional: $30.95 per user, per month with conference calling for up to four people, team messaging, peer-to-peer video calling, and a free professionally recorded voice greeting*
- Enterprise: $37.95 per user, per month with voicemail transcription, voice analytics, and call recording*
*Pricing is on an annual basis for five to 19 users. Volume discounts are available as you add more users, and so are monthly plans at an additional cost.
- Professionally recorded voice greeting: Select plans offer the ability to hire a professional voice-over artist to effectively be the “voice” of your system.
- Unlimited domestic calling: Call any number in the U.S. and Canada at no extra cost.
- Mobile app: Nextiva’s mobile app supports many of its robust call management features, but also includes the more unusual ability to turn a smart device into a mobile fax machine.
For more information on Nextiva, go to our Nextiva user reviews page.
8×8: Best Business VoIP Service for International Calls
8×8 is a business VoIP service that comes with unlimited calling, texting, and voicemail. However, what makes 8×8 special is that international calling for up to 47 countries around the world is included for a starting price of $25 per user, per month, making it perfect for organizations that want to stay in touch with overseas contacts.
Unlimited international calling for nearly 50 countries
Video meetings capped at 100 people
Cloud media storage
Call center features locked behind premium service plans
Host of call center features in advanced plans
Not as intuitive as competing systems
- X2: $25 per user, per month with unlimited calling for up to 14 countries
- X5: $35 per user, per month with unlimited calling for up to 35 countries
- X8: $55 per user, per month with unlimited calling for up to 47 countries
- International calling: 8×8 lets you make unlimited calls to up to 47 countries at no additional cost.
- Call center features: Select 8×8 packages have call queuing, monitoring, and other modules that lend themselves well to call center environments.
- Online file storage: 8×8 offers up to 10GB of online file storage for your important media files and call recordings.
For more information on 8×8, you can take a look at our 8×8 user reviews page.
Vonage: Best Business VoIP Service With a la Carte Pricing
Vonage is a VoIP service that comes with all of the calling, texting, and voicemail functionality of its competitors. However, it also comes with the ability to add specific features such as toll-free numbers and call recording. Pricing starts at $17.99 per user, per month for five to 19 users. It is a good fit for teams that want to effectively craft a bespoke solution for their exact needs.
Add features a la carte
A la carte features could add up to be expensive
Video calls for up to 100 people
Not as intuitive as other systems
Mobile apps for iOS and Android
Video calling capped at 100 people
- Mobile: $17.99 per user, per month with unlimited calling, mobile app, and team messaging*
- Premium: $27.99 per user, per month for video calling for up to 100 people, software integrations, and a multilevel automated attendant*
- Advanced: $37.99 per user, per month for 15 hours of on-demand call recording, visual voicemail, and company-guided setup of your system*
*Pricing is for five to 19 users. Volume discounts are available as you add more users.
- A la carte features: Features like toll-free numbers and voicemail transcripts can be added for an additional monthly fee.
- Video calling: The Premium and Advanced packages come with video calling for up to 100 people.
- Team messaging: Start text-based conversations with your team members on desktop and mobile apps.
Read more the service’s benefits for small businesses by visiting our Vonage reviews page.
Phone.com: Best VoIP Service With Pay-per-Minute Plans
Phone.com is a business VoIP system that separates itself from other services by offering both pay-per-minute and unlimited plans. Pricing starts at just $9.99 per month on an annual basis. Phone.com, which is one of our picks for best low-cost VoIP service, is the perfect solution for teams seeking a bit of flexibility via pay-per-minute options.
Offers unlimited and unlimited plans
Somewhat clunky interface
Audio and video conferencing available
Expensive unlimited plans
Automated attendant functionality
Pay-per-minute plans can add up
- Base: $9.99 per month for 300 monthly minutes or $24.99 per month for unlimited calling*
- Plus: $14.99 per month for 500 monthly minutes or $32.99 per month for unlimited calling*
- Pro: $29.99 per month for 1,000 monthly minutes or $49.99 per month for unlimited calling*
*Pricing is on an annual basis. Monthly plans are available for an additional fee.
- Flexibility: The fact that Phone.com offers both limited and unlimited calling plans gives businesses a wide range of price plans to meet their budget.
- Automated attendant: Phone.com can answer incoming calls and route users to their desired extension without your human employees having to step in.
- Conferencing: The service accommodates phone conferences for up to 300 people.
To learn more about Phone.com and its features, check out our Phone.com user reviews page.
Ooma Office: Best Business VoIP Service With Streamlined Pricing
Ooma Office is a small business VoIP system that offers unlimited calling, call recording, and an auto-attendant. The service only has one pricing tier, which costs $19.95 per month. This makes it a fantastic option for teams that find the range of plans in other systems overwhelming and want something with streamlined pricing.
Ooma Office Strengths
Ooma Office Weaknesses
Simple pricing structure
No video chat
Standard automated attendant
Lacks call record module
Ooma Office Pricing
- Ooma Office costs $19.95 per month
Ooma Office Features
- Automated attendant: Let Ooma handle all of your incoming call traffic with its automated attendant, which the company refers to as a virtual receptionist. This is similar to how Ooma’s competitors work as well.
- Voicemail-to-email: Check your voicemail messages from within your email inbox.
- Virtual fax: Send and receive virtual fax documents through the internet.
For more details on what Ooma Office can offer your business, check out our Ooma Office user reviews page.
Business VoIP systems are a modern, more powerful alternative to traditional landline systems. With a fast internet connection, VoIP services offer a complete office communications system without the need for expensive hardware or wiring. They also do things landline cannot, such as video calling and mobile app capabilities.
We recommend RingCentral to anyone looking for an intuitive, capable VoIP system. It is both powerful and affordable, and it wraps up its features into a package most workers can use painlessly. Click the button below to start your 15-day free trial.