Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business is a no-annual-fee travel credit card that offers unlimited 1.5 miles on every business-related purchase. This business credit card lets you transfer miles to any of its travel partners. Its other travel features include roadside assistance services and zero foreign transaction fees on purchases made outside of the United States.
Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
Travel rewards and annual spending less than $19,000
- Introductory reward worth $200 in travel after you spend $3,000 within the first three months
- 1.5x miles per $1 spent
- 5x miles on hotel and rental car bookings through the issuer
- Issue employee cards for free
- No foreign transaction fees
- Interest-free financing on purchases
- No 0% APR balance transfer offer
- Limited list of airline partners
- Purchase assurance: Most purchases made entirely with your card are covered if damaged or stolen within 90 days from the date of purchase. Coverage is limited to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per cardholder account per 12 month period.
- Extended warranty coverage: Doubles the original warranty time period and duplicates the coverage of the original manufacturer’s warranty up to a maximum of 12 months on most items you purchase.
- Travel medical emergency assitance: Provide referrals to medical services if you have a medical emergency while traveling. You’re covered if you’re 100 or more miles away from home and from the day you leave until midnight of the 60th day of your trip, or the day you return to your city of residence, whichever is sooner.
How We Evaluate Travel Rewards Business Credit Cards
When grading fixed-rate travel rewards small business credit cards like the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business, we weigh ongoing rewards the heaviest. We rate introductory rewards as slightly less important, but they’re considered the second biggest factor in this evaluation. We also take into consideration the annual fee, introductory and ongoing APRs, and additional features.
Introductory Annual Percentage Rate (APR)
Who Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business Is Best For
- Business owners who have an annual credit card spending total of $19,000 or less: With the no-annual-fee Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business, you will earn $285 in rewards if you spend $19,000 in one year. If you have more than $19,000 in annual credit card expenses, you would benefit more from the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business.
- Business owners who frequently travel for business: You can redeem your rewards from this Capital One business credit card to book flights, rent cars, and pay for hotel stays, making this an excellent option for frequent business travelers.
Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business Fees
- Introductory APR: 0% on purchases for nine months
- Ongoing APR: 13.99% to 23.99% variable, which changes with the prime rate
- Annual fee: None
- Balance transfer fee: None
- Foreign transaction fee: None
- Cash advance fee: $10 or 3%, whichever is greater—cash advance APR is 26.99% variable
Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business Rewards
- Unlimited 1.5x miles on every purchase: There are no blackouts or seat restrictions and no minimum to redeem.
- Welcome offer: Earn a one-time bonus of 20,000 miles, equivalent to $200 in travel, when you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first three months after opening an account.
You can redeem your rewards to book flights, rent cars, and pay for hotel stays and past travel purchases within 90 days of the date of the travel purchase. You can also redeem your rewards as cash back in the form of a statement credit or check by mail or redeem them as gift cards for restaurants, retailers, or hotels.
Your rewards may be worth more in free travel when you transfer your miles to a partner’s loyalty program. Capital One’s partners include Air Canada, JetBlue, Aeromexico, Emirates Skywards, Qantas, and Qatar Airways.
Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business Features
Your purchased items will be protected against theft or damage within the first 90 days of your purchase. This coverage is limited to $10,000 per incident and $50,000 per year. Some transactions aren’t included in this coverage, such as the purchase of animals, living plants, computer software, collectible items, jewelry, medical equipment, perishables, pre-owned items, and more.
Extended Warranty Protection
The extended warranty protection on the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business card provides additional coverage on warranties of three years or less. It’ll double the length of the original manufacturer’s warranty for up to one additional year. The coverage is limited to $10,000 per item and $50,000 per year. Items not covered by this protection include computer software, medical equipment, real estate, pre-owned items, motorized vehicles, leased items, and items purchased for resale.
Travel Accident Insurance
Travel accident insurance is available through Visa® Signature Business Benefits, offering up to $250,000 in coverage for you, your spouse, and your unmarried dependent children. It covers accidental loss of life, limb, sight, speech, or hearing while riding as a passenger in or entering or exiting any licensed common carrier. It doesn’t cover any losses resulting from emotional trauma, mental or physical illness, suicide, intentionally self-inflicted injuries, war, and travel between the insured person’s residence and regular place of employment.
Lost Baggage Reimbursement
The lost baggage reimbursement is only available through Visa® Signature Business Benefits. It covers the value of your checked luggage or carry-on baggage up to $3,000 per trip. New York residents will only receive coverage up to $2,000.
Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
Capital One offers rental car insurance that protects you against damage due to collision or theft. The coverage is primary when you use the car for business purposes, which means that you won’t need to use your personal auto insurance or accept the insurance offered by the rental agency. Capital One may reimburse you up to the cash value of the car. Rentals of 31 consecutive days or less are eligible.
Travel and Emergency Assistance Services
Capital One allows you, your family members, or business employees to access a 24-hour hotline that connects you to travel, emergency, medical, and legal assistance. It also offers roadside assistance services like jump-starting, tire changing, and towing. You’ll be responsible for the cost of any goods or services provided.
Price Protection Plan
You can receive a price difference refund if you see a previously purchased item listed at a lower price in another store’s printed advertisement within 60 days. This coverage is limited to $500 per item and $2,500 per account. Capital One’s price protection plan is an additional feature that you can only receive through Visa® Signature Business Benefits.
Pros and Cons Explained
Pros of Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
- No annual fee: With Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business, you can earn travel rewards for every purchase you make without having to pay an annual fee. If you travel often for business, you can take advantage of this card and use your rewards for flights, car rentals, and hotel stays.
- No foreign transaction fees: Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business is truly designed for business travelers because it offers zero foreign transaction fees on purchases made outside of the United States.
- Interest-free financing on purchases for the first nine months: This card offers an introductory rate of 0% APR for the first nine months after opening an account. This means you can enjoy interest-free financing on business-related purchases as long as you pay your full balance before the introductory period ends.
Cons of Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
- No 0% APR balance transfer offer: While Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business doesn’t charge balance transfer fees, you’ll still be charged an APR ranging between 13.99% and 23.99%, which may vary with the market based on the prime rate.
- Limited list of airline partners: Overall, there are only 17 available travel loyalty programs offered by Capital One. Some business owners may find these options a bit limited.
Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business Alternatives
Chase Ink Business PreferredSM Credit Card
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Maximizing travel rewards at a lower annual fee
- Earn 100k bonus points after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 cash back or $1,250 toward travel when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year. Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases
- With Fraud Protection your card transactions will be monitored for possible signs of fraudulent activity using real-time fraud monitoring.
- With Zero Liability you won't be held responsible for unauthorized charges made with your card or account information.
- Redeem points for cash back, gift cards, travel and more - your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Purchase Protection covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- $95 Annual Fee
- Opportunity to boost the value of reward points
- Offers cellphone protection and trip cancellation insurance
- Does not offer an interest-free financing period
- Charges an annual fee
- Auto rental collision damage waiver: Coverage is primary—meaning it replaces any coverage your personal insurance might offer—when renting for business purposes. It provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage for most cars in the U.S. and abroad.
- Cellphone protection: You and the employees named on the phone bill you pay for with your card are covered for up to $600 in theft or damages per claim. You are limited to three claims per 12-month period, with a $100 deductible per claim.
- Trip cancellation and delay insurance: If your trip is canceled, you can be compensated up to $15,000 for prepaid expenses such as airfare or hotels. If your trip is delayed for 12 hours or more, you can be reimbursed up to $500 for your hotel room, meals, and transportation.
If you can spend at least $15,000 on purchases within the first three months of opening an account, you should consider Chase Ink Business Preferred® as an alternative option. This small business credit card offers 100,000 bonus points, which are equivalent to $1,000 cash back or $1,250 worth of travel rewards when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
American Express® Business Gold Card
American Express® Business Gold Card
Maximizing rewards in the two categories where you spend the most
- Welcome Offer: Earn 70,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.*
- MORE REWARDS: Get 4X Membership Rewards® points on the 2 select categories where your business spent the most each month. 1X is earned for other purchases. **
- **4X points apply to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these 2 categories each calendar year.*
- AIRLINE BONUS: Get 25% points back after you use points for all or part of an eligible flight booked with Amex Travel, up to 250,000 points back per calendar year.*
- PAY OVER TIME OPTION: A flexible payment option with interest to help manage cash flow on purchases of $100 or more.*
- *Terms Apply
- Earn 4x points in two categories every month
- Pay eligible charges over time with interest, or pay your balance in full monthly
- You’ll pay a high annual fee of $295
- No interest-free financing opportunities
- Premium roadside assistance: Free of charge up to four times a year. You can receive towing up to 10 miles, winching, jump starts, flat tire change, lockout service when the key is in the vehicle, and delivery of up to two gallons of gas
- Return protection: American Express will refund you for eligible purchases when the store doesn’t accept returns of undamaged items. Coverage is limited to 90 days from purchase, up to $300 per item, and up to a maximum of $1,000 per year.
- Baggage insurance: If your baggage is lost, damaged, or stolen, you’re eligible for coverage of up to $1,250 for carry-on luggage and $500 for checked bags
- Extended warranty: Receive one additional year of coverage on purchases with eligible warranties of five years or less
- Purchase protection: Covers new purchases against damage or theft within 90 days of purchase. Coverage is limited to $1,000 per incident.
If your business spends more on certain categories, you may earn more rewards from American Express® Business Gold Card. With this business credit card, you can get 4x points on the two select categories where your business spends the most each month. You can also earn 1x points for other purchases.
Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard®
Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card
Earning top rewards on travel purchases booked through Bank of America
9 billing cycles
- Earn 30,000 bonus points when you make at least $3,000 in net purchases within 90 days of your account opening which can be redeemed for a $300 statement credit towards travel purchases.
- Earn unlimited 1.5 points for every $1 spent on all purchases everywhere, every time-no matter how much you spend. Points don't expire.
- Earn 3 points per every dollar spent on travel purchases (car, hotel, airline) booked through the Bank of America® Travel Center.
- No annual fee and no international transaction fees.
- 0% Introductory APR on purchases for your first 9 billing cycles.
- Redeem points for travel with no blackout dates, cash back or gift cards.
- Get 75% more points on the base earn of every purchase you make when you’re a Preferred Rewards for Business Platinum Honors tier member. That means you will earn 2.62 points for every $1 you spend and 4.12 points per every $1 you spend at the Bank of America® Travel Center.
- 3x points on travel
- 0% APR on purchases
- No blackout dates on travel
- Low ongoing rewards on non-travel
- Low introductory bonus
- No 0% APR on balance transfers
Bank of American does not disclose details of its additional card features. To find out more about these additional features, review your guide to benefits when you receive your card in the mail.
The Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® offers 30,000 bonus points when you make at least $3,000 in net purchases within three months from opening an account. This can be redeemed for a $300 statement credit towards travel purchases. For the same amount of purchase requirement, you can get bigger rewards points compared to Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business.
Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business is best for business owners who prefer to earn fixed-rate travel rewards without having to pay an annual fee. Business owners who spend $19,000 or less annually and often travel for business will benefit more from this travel rewards credit card. If this isn’t the right one for you, check our list of top credit cards to find others that may be a better fit for your business.