Editor’s note: This is a recurring post with regularly updated card details.
Business owners can use airline credit cards to earn miles when traveling for work. You can redeem your miles for free airline tickets as well as travel perks like airport lounge passes, seat upgrades, and priority boarding. The best of the bunch also pay rewards on non airline-related purchases.
The best business airline credit cards are:
- Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business: Best overall for redeeming miles for any airline or travel-related purchase
- UnitedSM Business Card: Best for earning miles on United Airlines
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card: Best for Delta Airlines enthusiasts
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Business Mastercard®: Best for American Airlines frequent flyers
- Alaska Airlines Visa® Business credit card: Best for west coast-based businesses
- Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard: Best for frequent Hawaiian Airlines travelers
Tip: Many business travel cards, such as those listed in this article, have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, some airlines affiliated with these cards may have additional travel restrictions or changes to travel-related policies. Be sure to visit the credit card issuer’s website, along with the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), for the best ways to travel safely.
For details on how we evaluated business credit cards for this list, see our methodology.
Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business: Overall Best Business Credit Card for Miles
Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business
Unlimited 2x miles with every swipe
- Introductory reward worth $500 in travel after you spend $4,500 within the first three months
- 2x miles per $1 spent
- 5x miles on hotel and rental car bookings through the issuer
- Issue employee cards for free
- No foreign transaction fees
- TSA Pre✓® or Global Entry application fee credit
- You’ll pay an annual fee after the first year
- Doesn’t offer interest-free financing
- Airport security screening reimbursement: Either a $100 statement credit for Global Entry or an $85 statement credit for TSA Pre✓® once every four years.
- Purchase assurance: Most purchases made entirely with your card are covered if damaged or stolen within 90 days from the date of purchase. Coverage is limited to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per cardholder account per 12 month period.
- Extended warranty coverage: Doubles the original warranty time period and duplicates the coverage of the original manufacturer’s warranty up to a maximum of 12 months on most items you purchase.
- Travel medical emergency assitance: Provide referrals to medical services if you have a medical emergency while traveling. You’re covered if you’re 100 or more miles away from home and from the day you leave until midnight of the 60th day of your trip, or the day you return to your city of residence, whichever is sooner.
Why we like it: If you’re a business owner who wants to earn miles and have the freedom to book travel anywhere, Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business is your go-to card. It not only earns unlimited miles on all purchases, including nontravel-related purchases, but it also sets no blackout dates This means you’re free to book travel whenever and wherever you want. Plus, you can earn a welcome bonus offer to help cover travel expenses.
Capital One Eraser is one of the easiest and most useful features on a business credit card that offers miles, making it easy for any business to redeem rewards with flexibility. Pay for travel-related expenses, such as car rental and airfare, using your Capital One card, then use the Purchase Eraser option to redeem your rewards for those transactions. Because there are no minimum miles for redemption, you don’t have to save up rewards before using them.
Although the beauty of this card is that you don’t have to transfer points to book travel, Capital One still offers more than 10 travel partners where you can transfer miles to directly. These partners include United States-based and international carriers like JetBlue, AeroMexico, Air France, and Air Canada. However, your miles’ redemption value will take a 25% hit if you transfer them.
Tip: You can also use this card’s miles from now through September 30, 2020, for restaurant delivery and takeout, including DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Postmates.
UnitedSM Business Card: Best for Earning Miles on United Airlines
United℠ Business Card
Earning miles redeemable toward United Airlines travel
- Earn 60,000 bonus miles after qualifying purchases and enjoy $0 intro annual fee.
- Receive a 5,000-mile better-together anniversary bonus when you have the United Business Card and a personal United credit card.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on United purchases, at gas stations, office supply stores, restaurants (including eligible delivery services), and on local transit and commuting.
- Earn 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases. Enjoy no blackout dates - plus, miles never expire for MileagePlus® members.
- Free checked bag - save up to $140 per roundtrip. (Terms apply.)
- 2 United ClubSM one-time passes after account opening and on each anniversary* - over a $100 value per year.
- $100 United travel credit after qualifying purchases, 25% back on United in-flight purchases and priority boarding.
- Add employee cards at no additional cost - miles earned from their purchases accrue in your account and you can set individual spending limits on each card.
- Introductory bonus miles offer
- 2 free passes each year
- Below average ongoing travel rewards
- No introductory APR offer
- Comes with an annual fee
Why we like it: The UnitedSM Business Card is a great option for owners who fly frequently with United Airlines. It not only earns top miles on United Airlines purchases—standard for most co-branded cards—but you’ll also earn its best rate on gas station and office supply purchases. Plus, with access to more than 500 destinations across five continents, it’s amazing that you can use your miles to book airfare without blackout dates and restrictions.
In addition, this card comes with a rather large introductory offer and a chance to earn a yearly travel credit of $100 after qualifying purchases. So, you’ll have plenty of miles to use to cover travel expenses as long as you meet the spending requirements. You can use your miles to cover more than plane tickets by cashing in for in-flight purchases, airline seats, and hotel room upgrades if comfort is a high priority.
You’ll also get priority boarding for you and a companion, along with checking your first bag for free. Plus, you can visit two United Clubs for free each year.
Tip: If you already own a personal Chase United card, contact Chase to ensure it’s notated on your business card account. That way, you’ll get the 5,000-mile anniversary bonus automatically.
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card: Best for Delta Air Lines Enthusiasts
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
Frequent Delta flyers who want to access premium business Delta features
- Welcome Offer: Earn 60,000 bonus miles, 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs), and a $100 statement credit after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3 Miles on every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta and on every eligible dollar spent on purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 1.5 miles per dollar on single eligible purchases of $5,000 or more (that’s an extra half mile per dollar), up to 50,000 additional miles per year. 1 Mile on every eligible dollar spent on other purchases.
- With Status Boost®, earn 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year, up to 2x per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Plus, throughout 2021 earn an additional 2,500 MQMs after making $25,000 in purchases, up to 2x. That’s in addition to the 10,000 MQMs that you would earn with Status Boost.
- Status-like benefits: First Check Bag Free on Delta flights + Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- Check your first bag for free on Delta flights
- Receive priority boarding
- Eligible for a Delta companion certificate
- $250 annual fee
- No free access to Delta Sky Club
- No interest-free financing period on purchases or balance transfers
- Delta benefits: Receive your first checked bag for free and access priority boarding.
- Travel accident insurance: Provides card owners with travel accident insurance up to $100,000.
- Purchase protection: Provides coverage for purchases that are damaged or stolen up to 120 days from the date of purchase. Coverage is limited to $1,000 for an item and up to $50,000 for all claims for one year.
Why we like it: For frequent Delta Air Lines travelers, the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card unlocks a lot of amazing perks. You’ll have access to more than 300 Delta destinations across more than 50 countries. Plus, you’ll earn up to 3x miles on every dollar spent on Delta airline and hotel purchases, have access to in-flight savings, and receive a yearly complimentary companion certificate, good for a domestic round-trip ticket for one guest.
Depending on your membership, Medallion Status gives owners access to additional flight perks. These perks include seat upgrades, priority boarding, Global Entry and TSA PreCheck membership fee reimbursement, and free checked luggage on every flight.
You can redeem miles for airfare with no blackout dates. However, you can only redeem miles in 5,000-mile increments, typically worth $50.
Tip: Offset this card’s annual fee by taking advantage of the complimentary annual companion ticket and free checked luggage. The money you save on luggage for three round-trip tickets and one companion fare will be more than the annual card fee.
AAdvantage® Aviator® Business Mastercard®: Best for American Airlines Frequent Flyers
AAdvantage® Aviator® Business Mastercard®
Business owners that frequently fly American Airlines
- Earn up to 60,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles Earn 50,000 miles after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days. Earn 10,000 miles when a purchase is made on an employee card.
- Earn 2X AAdvantage® miles for every one dollar spent on eligible American Airlines purchases, eligible office supply, telecom and car rental merchants.
- Earn 1X AAdvantage® miles for every one dollar spent on all other purchases.
- 5% AAdvantage® mileage bonus earned every year after your account anniversary date based on the total number of miles earned using your card.
- A large introductory bonus offer
- Discounted companion certificate
- First free checked bag
- No 0% APR offer
- No lounge access
- No TSA Pre✓®
- First free checked Bag: Get one free checked bag for you and up to four companions.
- Companion Certificate: Receive one discounted companion ticket, each card anniversary after meeting spending requirements.
- Preferred boarding: You and o to four companions can board before economy boarding.
- Inflight discounts: You’ll receive a 25% discount on inflight food and beverage purchases.
- AAdvantage Elite Status Benefits: Earn Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) that can be applied toward American Airlines tiered elite statuses and benefits including upgrades and free checked bags.
Why we like it: The AAdvantage® Aviator® Business Mastercard® is best for any owner that flies with American Airlines. It doesn’t just earn its best rewards on American Airlines purchases but also on office supply, telecommunications, and car rental purchases. In addition to the ongoing rewards, you can take advantage of free checked bags and preferred boarding as well.
With nearly 1,000 destinations in 150 countries, American Airlines and its partners let you choose between international and domestic flights. Cardholders also earn one discount certificate that can be redeemed for one $99 companion ticket and an additional 5% bonus miles each card anniversary. You will see your miles balance on your AAdvantage® account each billing cycle, which you can redeem for flights, seat upgrades, vacation packages, and airport lounge club membership.
You’ll also earn 3,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs), which you can accumulate for AAdvantage® elite status and even more perks. That’s enough to earn Elite Gold Status automatically, which offers added perks like free checked bags, seat upgrades, and 40% more elite miles when you fly.
Alaska Airlines Visa® Business credit card: Best for West Coast-based Businesses
Alaska Airlines Visa® Business credit card
Travel rewards on Alaska Airlines travel
- Get 40,000 bonus miles plus Alaska's Famous Companion Fare from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from just $22) with this offer. To qualify, make purchases of $2,000 or more within the first 90 days of opening your account.
- Get Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ from $121 ($99 plus taxes and fees from $22) every year! That's right, EACH YEAR on your account anniversary get a companion fare from $121 ($99 plus taxes and fees from $22). Valid on all Alaska flights booked on alaskaair.com with no blackout dates.
- Save with a free checked bag on Alaska flights for you and up to six other guests on the same reservation.
- Earn 3 miles for every $1 spent directly on Alaska Airlines purchases and 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- NEW! 50% off Alaska Lounge day passes and 20% back on inflight food, beverage and Wi-Fi purchases when you pay with your card.
- Get exclusive access to discounted redemption levels when you redeem miles for hotel stays at over 400,000 properties using Alaska Airline Hotels.
- Earn unlimited miles and travel with no blackout dates and no international transaction fees.
- Enjoy many money saving benefits, 800+ destinations, more than a dozen global airline partners and a low annual fee of $50 for the company and $25 per card.
- Introductory bonus miles offer
- Discounted companion fare
- Free checked luggage
- Miles aren’t transferrable
- Some blackout dates
- Employee cards aren’t free
- Free checked bag: Get a free checked bag for you and up to six guests on the same reservation.
- Purchase security: Bank of America may replace, repair, or reimburse you for purchased items that have been stolen or damaged.
- Extended protection: Receive an additional warranty coverage period in addition to the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Auto rental collision damage waiver: Receive coverage for car rental vehicles when you use the card for the entire purchase.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance Services: Includes up to $1,000,000 in travel accident insurance and emergency ticket replacement.
Why we like it: This Alaska Airlines co-branded card lets you fly to more than 800 destinations with hubs located in Seattle, Portland, Anchorage, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. That makes it a great option for West-Coast-based business owners. You’ll earn unlimited rewards on Alaska Airlines. Plus, with no blackout dates, it’s easy to redeem miles for flights on the dates you need. However, they expire after two years of inactivity.
You’ll also get discounted companion fare, airport lounge passes at $25, and 20% off in-flight purchases. Plus, it extends free checked bags to you and up to six other guests on the same reservation－ more than most airlines. You’ll gain access to all of these perks while paying the lowest annual fee on this list.
Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard: Best for Frequent Hawaiian Airlines Travelers
Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard®
Hawaiian Airlines loyalists
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles after spending $1,000 on purchases within the first 90 days, and earn an additional 10,000 miles after a purchase is made on an employee card in the first 90 days
- Earn a one-time 50% discount on one companion pass
- Earn 20,000 bonus miles with $50,000-$99,999 in annual purchases, OR 40,000 bonus miles with $100,000 or more in annual purchases
- Earn 3x miles on Hawaiian Airlines purchases
- Potential 20,000-mile bonus each anniversary
- Receive a one-time discounted companion fare for one guest
- Only services flights to Hawaii
- Doesn’t waive the annual fee for the first year
- Companion ticket: Receive a one-time 50% off companion discount for roundtrip coach travel between Hawaii and North America on Hawaiian Airlines
- Share Miles: Allows you to send and receive miles from family and friends through HawaiianAirlines.com, without a fee
- Complimentary employee cards: Employee cards help you earn rewards faster and control business spending
Why we like it: With its excellent introductory offer and high ongoing rewards, the Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard is a must-have card for steady Hawaiian Airlines travelers. You won’t have much use from this card if you don’t travel to Hawaii regularly as it only services flights from North America, Asia, and the South Pacific to Hawaii. However, those who travel to Hawaii will get a one-time discounted companion fare for one guest and earn top rewards on airline purchases.
Plus, owners who spend on gas, office supplies, and dining will earn this card’s second-highest rewards. What’s more, if your business spends more than $50,000 each year on Hawaiian travel, you’ll earn a 20,000-mile bonus each anniversary.
How We Evaluated the Best Business Credit Cards for Miles
Business owners looking for airline credit cards are typically concerned about annual fees, reward programs, redemption options, and flight destinations. We looked at these factors, along with additional travel perks, such as free checked bags, when ranking cards that offer miles-based rewards. While all these cards have annual fees, they are reasonably priced, considering the added benefits.
When using a business credit card for travel, it’s best to earn rewards you can redeem easily for flights and travel-related expenses. It’s also crucial that the card you use offers not only a strong reward redemption rate on more than just airline purchases but also on other travel expenses that you incur along the way.