Editor’s note: This is a recurring post with regularly updated card details.
Business owners who frequently go on work-related trips can access top-tier rewards and luxury perks through travel credit cards. The best cards can make business travel more enjoyable through free airport lounge access, free checked bags, and annual travel credits. While some of these travel cards charge high annual fees, they typically give you access to more robust benefits and features.
The best business credit cards for travel are:
- American Express Business Platinum Card®: Best overall for premium travel rewards and benefits
- Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business: Best for booking hotels and rental cars
- Chase Ink Business Preferred®: Best for maximizing rewards with low annual fees
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business: Best for business travel on Southwest Airlines
- Marriott Bonvoy BusinessTM American Express® Card: Best for hotel stays at Marriott properties
- American Express Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card: Best for Delta Air Lines business travel
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®: Best for business travel on American Airlines
- Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard®: Best for no annual fee
Tip: While these business travel credit cards offer stellar rewards and perks for people who travel for business often, it’s crucial to understand COVID-19 travel-related restrictions that may impact your business trips. Before planning business-related travel, be sure to review the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) travel guidelines.
American Express Business Platinum Card®: Overall Best Business Travel Credit Card
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
Gaining access to unrivaled travel rewards and luxury travel perks like airport lounge access
- Welcome Offer: Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's an extra half point per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year when you book on amextravel.com.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- PAY OVER TIME OPTION: A flexible payment option to help manage cash flow on purchases of $100 or more.
- Terms Apply.
- Free access to over 1,200 airport lounges worldwide
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® membership fee reimbursements
- Balance is due in full monthly
- Steep $595 annual fee
- American Express lounges: Free access to American Express’ network of Centurion lounges located in slightly less than one dozen U.S. airports.
- Other airport lounges: Priority Pass Select membership, which gets you free access to more than 1,000 lounges worldwide for you and two guests.
- Airport screening: Either a $100 statement credit for Global Entry every four years or $85 statement credit for TSA Pre✓® once every 4½ years.
- Travel credit: A $200 annual statement credit toward air travel expenses like baggage fees and inflight food and drink.
- Rental status: Elite status at a number of car rental agencies.
- Free Wi-Fi: 10 annual free Gogo inflight Wi-Fi passes.
- Rebate for redeemed points: 35% points rebate if you book a business or first-class flight, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Dell statement credit: Up to $200 in statement credits annually for Dell purchases.
Why we like it: Not many small business credit cards offer a comprehensive set of travel-specific perks like this card does. You can use this card to access 1,200 airport lounges worldwide for free and receive Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® membership reimbursements. Beyond these luxury benefits, you can also earn extraordinary rewards for airfare and hotel stays at 5x points per dollar spent. There’s not another card on the market that can match these features.
With this lounge access credit card, you’ll also tap into an annual travel credit worth $200 that can help offset travel expenses like baggage fees and in-flight food and drink. The perks don’t stop there, however. You can also benefit from elite status at several car rental agencies, free in-flight Wi-Fi, and flight rebates on business or first-class tickets.
Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business: Best for Booking Hotels and Rental Cars
Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business
Unlimited 2x miles with every swipe
- Introductory reward worth $500 in travel after you spend $4,500 within the first three months
- 2x miles per $1 spent
- 5x miles on hotel and rental car bookings through the issuer
- Issue employee cards for free
- No foreign transaction fees
- TSA Pre✓® or Global Entry application fee credit
- You’ll pay an annual fee after the first year
- Doesn’t offer interest-free financing
- Airport security screening reimbursement: Either a $100 statement credit for Global Entry or an $85 statement credit for TSA Pre✓® once every four years.
- Purchase assurance: Most purchases made entirely with your card are covered if damaged or stolen within 90 days from the date of purchase. Coverage is limited to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per cardholder account per 12 month period.
- Extended warranty coverage: Doubles the original warranty time period and duplicates the coverage of the original manufacturer’s warranty up to a maximum of 12 months on most items you purchase.
- Travel medical emergency assitance: Provide referrals to medical services if you have a medical emergency while traveling. You’re covered if you’re 100 or more miles away from home and from the day you leave until midnight of the 60th day of your trip, or the day you return to your city of residence, whichever is sooner.
Why we like it: If you find yourself spending business funds across a variety of categories every month, a travel card with strong fixed-rate rewards like this card suits you best. You’ll benefit from unlimited 2x miles on all spending, including travel-related purchases. However, what moves the needle for this card is you can earn an even higher rewards rate—5x miles per $1 spent—if you book hotel nights or rental cars through the issuer.
Similar to our top pick, this business credit card for miles also offers application fee reimbursements for Global Entry ($100) or TSA Pre✓® ($85). This perk gives you access to expedited airport security screening lines and can make your business travel more enjoyable. If you travel often, this is one of my favorite hacks that help you to unlock a more enjoyable travel experience.
Although this card lacks the airport lounge access some other cards offer, there is a lucrative sign-up offer waiting for you. You can earn a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles—equal to $500 in travel—once you spend $4,500 on purchases within the first three months from account opening.
Chase Ink Business Preferred®: Best for Maximizing Rewards With Low Annual Fees
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Maximizing travel rewards at a lower annual fee
- New Offer! Earn 100k bonus points after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 toward travel when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year
- Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases - with no limit to the amount you can earn
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Redeem points for travel, cash back, gift cards and more - your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- No foreign transaction fees
- Employee cards at no additional cost
- $95 Annual Fee
Note: The information related to the Chase Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card has been collected by fitsmallbusiness.com and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card.
- Opportunity to boost the value of reward points
- Offers cellphone protection and trip cancellation insurance
- Does not offer an interest-free financing period
- Charges an annual fee
- Auto rental collision damage waiver: Coverage is primary—meaning it replaces any coverage your personal insurance might offer—when renting for business purposes. It provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage for most cars in the U.S. and abroad.
- Cellphone protection: You and the employees named on the phone bill you pay for with your card are covered for up to $600 in theft or damages per claim. You are limited to three claims per 12-month period, with a $100 deductible per claim.
- Trip cancellation and delay insurance: If your trip is canceled, you can be compensated up to $15,000 for prepaid expenses such as airfare or hotels. If your trip is delayed for 12 hours or more, you can be reimbursed up to $500 for your hotel room, meals, and transportation.
Why we like it: Most of the top travel cards charge annual fees that may scare many business owners away. However, let me introduce you to a card that does the opposite. Chase Ink Business Preferred® is your go-to card if you want to avoid those high annual fees while earning comparable rewards.
This card’s annual fee gets more bang for the buck compared to some of the other cards on this list. It not only pays top rewards in travel but in other categories too, including shipping, online advertising, and internet, cable, and phone services.
Plus, you can travel outside the United States worry-free as this is a no foreign transaction fee card. Most issuers charge foreign transaction fees up to 3%. Avoiding these fees when you’re traveling outside the US can save your business tons of cash. This feature makes it an ideal fit for any international business travelers.
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Card: Best for Southwest Airlines Loyalists
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business
Southwest flyers who want a Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® application fee credit
- Earn 80,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
- 9,000 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary.
- 3 points per $1 spent on Southwest Airlines® purchases.
- 2 points per $1 spent on social media and search engine advertising, Internet, cable and phone services and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- 4 Upgraded Boardings per year when available
- Inflight WiFi Credits
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit
- Employee cards at no additional cost, earn points on employee spending.
- Free Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® membership
- Large sign-up bonus that can help qualify for the companion pass
- Receive the best rewards for Southwest purchases compared to other Southwest cards
- High annual fee that isn’t waived in the first year
- Reward redemption value is poor outside of Southwest flights
- Limited options for international travel
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck reimbursement: Receive application fee credits up to $100 for Global Entry or $85 for TSA PreCheck.
- Upgraded bookings: Southwest will reimburse you each anniversary year for the purchase of up to four upgraded boardings,
- Baggage delay insurance: Reimburses you for essential purchases like toiletries and clothing for baggage delays over six hours; up to $100 a day for three days.
Why we like it: This is the first co-branded airline card on the list, which means it’s designed specifically for those who do most of their traveling with Southwest Airlines. This card offers enhanced rewards for Southwest Airlines purchases as well as travel perks like in-flight Wi-Fi credits and reimbursement for the cost to enroll in TSA Pre✓® or Global Entry.
You’ll not only earn top rewards for purchases made directly with the airline, but you also have the chance to earn ongoing rewards elsewhere. For example, you can expect to earn rewards on hotel and car partners, online advertising, and internet, cable, and phone services. Some airline-affiliated credit cards only pay rewards on purchases made directly with the airline, which you can avoid if you open this card.
There’s also a sign-up bonus worth 80,000 points for business owners who spend $5,000 within the first three months.
Tip: Co-branded airline and hotel cards are not meant for everyone. If you’re looking to redeem your points or miles for rewards outside the specific airline or hotel, such as Southwest Airlines in this case, then look toward opening a traditional travel card like our top two picks.
Marriott Bonvoy BusinessTM American Express® Card: Best for Marriott Stays
Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card
Owners who choose to stay at Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn up to $150 back in statement credits on eligible purchases made on your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 5/12/21.
- 6x points at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
- 4x points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping. 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status with your Card. Plus, earn Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
- Terms apply.
- You’ll enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status
- Earn 6x points per $1 spent at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- You’ll pay a $125 annual fee
- Points are worth less when redeemed for less expensive hotels
- Baggage insurance: Covers the loss of any checked or carry-on baggage in direct transit from a common carrier or terminal. Coverage is limited to $1,250.
- Purchase protection: Covers purchased items from theft or damage for the first 120 days from purchase. Coverage is limited to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per year.
- Extended warranty protection: Offers up to an additional two years of warranty coverage on U.S. manufacturers’ warranties of five years or less.
- Complimentary Silver Elite status: Receive complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status and have access to exclusive benefits, such as 25% bonus points on purchases at participating hotels, priority late checkout, and access to an elite reservation line.
Why we like it: If your company spends a lot on Marriott hotels, then this is the best business travel rewards credit card for you. It can be your way into luxury business features and big savings. You’ll not only save big at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels, but you can also earn premium rewards at restaurants, gas stations, and telecommunication services.
This card holds tons of value beyond its rewards. For instance, it offers top-tier Marriott-related features that can elevate your business travel. You’ll receive one free night every card anniversary, complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status, and premium on-property Wi-Fi access.
American Express Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card: Best for Delta Air Lines Flights
Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
Delta Air Lines flyers and earning rewards outside of Delta purchases
- Welcome Offer: Earn 50,000 bonus miles and a $50 statement credit after spending $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Additionally, take $100 off your next Delta flight – after you spend $10,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you will earn a $100 Delta Flight Credit to use toward future travel.
- Earn 2 Miles on every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta, on every dollar spent on eligible U.S. purchases for advertising in select media, on every dollar spent on eligible U.S. shipping purchases, on every eligible dollar spent at restaurants. Earn 1 Mile on every eligible dollar spent on other purchases.
- Check or stow your bag with ease: First Checked Bag Free + Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel overseas.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms and limitations apply
- Earn a $100 Delta flight credit
- Your first checked bag is free
- Never pay foreign transaction fees
- $99 annual fee after the first year
- Doesn’t offer free Delta Sky Club access
- No introductory financing offer
- Free checked bag: Check one bag for free for you and up to eight companions
- Savings on inflight purchases: Receive a 20% discount on inflight purchases you make with your American Express Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card
- Baggage insurance: If your luggage is lost, damaged, or stolen, you’re eligible for coverage of up to $1,250 for carry-on baggage and $500 for checked bags
- Car rental insurance: Coverage is primary, which means it replaces any coverage your personal insurance might offer when renting for business purposes; it provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage for most cars in the US and abroad
Why we like it: If you want to level up your Delta Air Lines travel experience, there’s no reason to look anywhere besides right here. Frequent Delta flyers will appreciate the two free checked bags and the ability to earn 2x miles per $1 in several different categories, including Delta Air Lines purchases. Plus, if you spend at least $2,000 within the first three months of account opening, you’ll be eligible for a welcome offer of 50,000 miles and a $50 statement credit you can use to help offset travel expenses.
When you open this card, you’ll enjoy priority boarding, no foreign transaction fees, and savings on in-flight purchases. You can also earn a $100 Delta credit voucher if you spend $10,000 on your card in a calendar year. These features are unique to this travel card, so if you typically spend big on Delta flights, you should consider applying for this option.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®: Best for American Airlines Purchases
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®
Frequent American Airlines flyers who want premium airline perks
- 2 AAdvantage® miles on telecommunications, car rental, gas station purchases
- 2 AAdvantage® mile on eligible American Airlines purchases
- 1 AAdvantage® mile on other purchases
- First checked bag free
- Terms Apply
- Excellent introductory bonus offer
- Free first checked bag
- Priority boarding on American Airlines flights
- No airport lounge access
- Blackout dates for select booking
- Some rewards redemption fees may apply
- Free checked bag: Check one bag for free for you and up to four companions traveling with you to domestic itineraries if they are listed on the same reservation
- Preferred boarding: You and up to four traveling companions will be able to board once priority boarding is complete but before the rest of economy boards
- American Airlines companion certificate: Earn one $99 domestic economy fare—plus $21.60 to $43.40 in government taxes and fees—after you make at least $30,000 in eligible purchases each 12-month period before your card anniversary date
- Savings on inflight purchases: Receive a 25% discount on inflight food, beverage, and Wi-Fi purchases you make with your CitiBusiness credit card
Why we like it: If you find yourself booking several business-related trips through American Airlines, you should consider applying for this travel credit card. You’ll be able to check bags for free and access priority boarding on American Airlines’ flights, something nonairline branded cards can’t offer.
This card not only pays rewards on American Airlines purchases, but it also offers AAdvantage® miles at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants, and gas stations. These category rewards will help you maximize your rewards outside of purchases you make directly with the airline. What’s more, you can cash in big on 65,000 bonus miles if you spend at least $4,000 within the first four months of owning your card.
Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard®: Best for No Annual Fee
Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card
Earning top rewards on travel purchases booked through Bank of America
9 billing cycles
- Earn 30,000 bonus points when you make at least $3,000 in net purchases within 90 days of your account opening which can be redeemed for a $300 statement credit towards travel purchases.
- Earn unlimited 1.5 points for every $1 spent on all purchases everywhere, every time-no matter how much you spend. Points don't expire.
- Earn 3 points per every dollar spent on travel purchases (car, hotel, airline) booked through the Bank of America® Travel Center.
- No annual fee and no international transaction fees.
- 0% Introductory APR on purchases for your first 9 billing cycles.
- Redeem points for travel with no blackout dates, cash back or gift cards.
- Get 75% more points on the base earn of every purchase you make when you’re a Preferred Rewards for Business Platinum Honors tier member. That means you will earn 2.62 points for every $1 you spend and 4.12 points per every $1 you spend at the Bank of America® Travel Center.
- 3x points on travel
- 0% APR on purchases
- No blackout dates on travel
- Low ongoing rewards on non-travel
- Low introductory bonus
- No 0% APR on balance transfers
Bank of American does not disclose details of its additional card features. To find out more about these additional features, review your guide to benefits when you receive your card in the mail.
Why we like it: Although at the bottom of our list, this Bank of America travel card offers a unique feature: no annual fee. Not only will you never pay an annual fee, but you’ll also earn 3x points per dollar spent on travel purchases. If those rewards aren’t enough for your liking, you can increase your rewards rate by enrolling in the Preferred Rewards for Business program.
When you enroll in the bonus program, you can get up to an additional 75% rewards bonus every time you swipe your card. You’ll earn up to 2.62 points per $1 spent on all purchases and 4.12 points per dollar at the Bank of America® Travel Center. To earn that rate, you have to have at least $100,000 deposits or investments with the bank. You can still earn a rewards bonus with fewer deposits, but the rate will be less than 75%.
How We Evaluated the Best Business Credit Cards for Travel
Business travel credit cards are suited for owners seeking top rewards for spending on airfare, hotels, or rental cars. For this reason, we prioritized the reward potential for each card as that can help reduce overall travel expenses. Annual fees and perks like companion passes, free baggage checks, and access to airport lounges were also taken into account. Cards that provide these features are ranked higher on the list, but they typically charge higher annual fees.
Reasons to Consider a Business Travel Credit Card
- Earn lucrative travel rewards: While many business travel credit cards charge high annual fees, they also offer some of the best rewards on the market. If you travel often for work purposes, it’s best to open one of these cards to earn rewards on your travel expenses.
- Access luxury travel perks: The perks that come with a travel card are truly one of a kind. With the best cards, you’ll be able to tap into annual travel credits, free airport lounge access, and even expedited airport security lines.
- Earn free flights and hotels: Not only will you earn top rewards for travel expenses, but you can also redeem them for free flights or hotels. This can save your business hundreds of dollars when it comes to traveling for work.
- Save money on typical travel expenses: Some of the best travel cards let you save money on common travel expenses, including checked baggage, priority boarding, and onboard Wi-Fi fees.
How to Choose a Business Travel Credit Card
- Review the type of traveling you do for business: Before choosing a card, it’s crucial to understand where you spend most of your money during a business trip. There are three areas to consider: airlines, hotels, and miscellaneous travel expenses.
- Decide on a rewards structure: Based on the type of travel you do, you’ll want a card that offers the best rewards for those purchases. For example, if you spend big on flights, consider an airline-specific card. If you spend big on hotels, consider a hotel card. If you have a variety of expenses, consider a nonco-branded card.
- Consider annual fees and perks: Once you’ve narrowed down the rewards structure that best fits your type of travel, consider annual fees, foreign transaction fees, and any additional perks like free checked baggage or airport lounge access. You’ll want a card that offers the perks that your business can take advantage of.
- Apply for your card: After choosing the business travel card that best suits your needs, you can apply online through the provider. Cards on this list typically require a personal credit score of at least 670.
Travel credit cards can help business owners like you tap into premium rewards and features that make business travel more enjoyable. While they tend to charge higher annual fees, they also offer excellent perks like free checked bags and access to airport lounges. Comparing the best cards can help you find a card that has a rewards structure that aligns with your spending habits.
For rates and fees on the American Express Business Platinum Card®, please click here.
For rates and fees on American Express Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business, please click here
For rates and fees on the American Express® Business Gold Card, please click here.