FreedomVoice Review: Features, Alternatives & Pricing for 2023
This article is part of a larger series on VoIP.
FreedomVoice is a low-cost virtual phone system offering local, toll-free, and vanity numbers. Pricing starts at $9.95 per month, with options for unmetered and metered call plans. All subscriptions include robust inbound call management features like auto-attendant, after-hours greeting, and call queue. In our FreedomVoice review, we found it ideal for businesses wanting easy-to-set-up and budget-friendly virtual phone numbers.
FreedomVoice Review: At a Glance
What We Liked
- 30-day free trial
- Low-cost and fixed monthly rates
- Unlimited text messaging
- Quick online setup
- No international phone numbers
- Outdated mobile app
- Hold music library requires extra fees
- Lacks instant chat
When to Use FreedomVoice
- Cheap virtual phone numbers: Subscribing to FreedomVoice gives you a choice of a local and toll-free number at a starting price of $9.95—all for a fixed monthly rate. Vanity numbers only require a $30 one-time activation fee.
- Fluctuating call volumes: FreedomVoice offers two metered plans: 400 and 1,200 minutes per month. If you start getting more calls, you can upgrade to an unlimited plan.
- Seasonal businesses: FreedomVoice lets you temporarily pause its services and pick it up at a later time with all of your settings and recordings preserved. You only need to pay a nominal monthly holding fee per local or toll-free number.
- Bulk SMS campaigns: All FreedomVoice plans include a mobile app with unlimited texting. Create your mass texting campaigns without extra fees.
When to Use an Alternative
- Creating a local presence overseas: Your customers overseas are more likely to call your business line if it looks identical to a local phone number. Consider Phone.com, one of the best small business voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) services offering local phone numbers in 39 countries.
- Full-featured unified communications solution: RingCentral is the market’s leading business phone system with rich collaboration capabilities and out-of-the-box integrations. Host video meetings, start a group chat, and manage tasks all in one app.
FreedomVoice Deciding Factors
FreedomVoice is designed for solopreneurs and small business owners needing a full-featured, easy-to-use virtual phone system that fits their budget. Choose between metered and unlimited calling plans based on your call volume. All plans have the same feature set, including a choice of one local or toll-free number, giving you the best value for your money.
Small teams looking for an affordable, feature-packed virtual phone system
Annual or Volume Discounts Available
While FreedomVoice stands out for its cheap pricing, it has several missing features essential to team collaboration. These include third-party integrations, video meetings, and team chat. If these limitations potentially affect your workflows, here are alternatives to consider:
Teams looking for a VoIP provider with robust video meeting tools and team chat
Companies looking for automation features to enhance customer engagement
Small teams needing multiple local and toll-free numbers for a fixed monthly fee
Monthly Starting Price (per User)
While FreedomVoice doesn’t provide discounts, it earned extra points for its lengthy free trial and a budget-friendly starting price of $9.95 per month. It employs a flat rate charge for all plans regardless of the number of users. Two versions are metered, while the third option offers unlimited calling. A per-minute fee of 3.9 cents applies if the monthly limit has been exceeded.
FreedomVoice Pricing & Plans
Solopreneurs wanting a toll-free business number
Growing businesses with average call volumes
Companies with large call volumes
Inbound Call Management
FreedomVoice enables users to add specific services to enhance their virtual phone system’s functionality. Each premium feature comes with extra fees to be added to your monthly subscription.
- Call recording: Pay $5 monthly to record conversations on selected phone extensions. All recordings can be viewed or downloaded on the call report tab.
- Professionally recorded greetings: FreedomVoice works with CDF Media Inc. to help you create professional recordings for your auto-attendant. Prices start at $100 per page, but you can request a custom quote.
- Hold music: For only $5 monthly, get access to FreedomVoice’s hold music library and choose from a large selection of genres, such as jazz, rock, house, and easy listening.
- Voicemail transcription: Pay an additional $10 per month for unlimited voicemail transcription
- Name and address capture: Capture the name and address of selected incoming calls (only 10 cents per successful lookup).
- Toll-free directory listing: Have your toll-free business line listed in the national directory.
- Voice broadcasting: Send a voice message to a list of phone numbers. Contact the sales team for a quote.
FreedomVoice earned additional points for this category as it provides up to 36 business phone features on all plans. This means you get all the call management capabilities you need without upgrading to higher tiers. While it lost points due to the lack of productivity tools like video conferencing, FreedomVoice works well for calling and texting.
Check out other features offered by FreedomVoice:
- Call blocking
- After-hours greetings
- Call screening
- Unlimited extensions
- Call forwarding
- Ring groups
- Simultaneous ring
- Custom hold music
- Call whisper
FreedomVoice received a lower rating due to the lack of integrations, international phone numbers, and an interactive voice response system (IVR). Still, it has a few specialized features to increase the efficiency of your inbound call management. These include name and address capture, smart number routing, and immediate forwarding.
Click on each item below to discover other FreedomVoice features:
Virtual Phone Numbers
CloudNumber is a professional phone number service by FreedomVoice. Users pick a phone number of choice—an 800 number, a toll-free vanity number, or a local virtual number. Install the FreedomVoice mobile app to make calls and send and receive text messages using your CloudNumber.
Access your FreedomVoice phone system through your smartphone device. The mobile app is available for Android and iOS users and is offered in all three subscription plans. Enjoy unlimited text messaging and use the app to present your business phone number as caller ID and check your messages and voicemails on the go.
CloudPhone is a plug-and-play business phone service remotely hosted by FreedomVoice. Choose between three CloudPhones: Polycom VVX 250, Polycom VVX 350, and Polycom VVX 450. Pricing starts at $29.95 per phone, monthly. After checkout, FreedomVoice will ship the phone to you (included with service). Plug it into your internet connection and get unlimited calls and a professional-sounding dial tone.
FreedomVoice customer service operates on extended business hours from Monday to Saturday via phone and email. Agents are available on weekdays from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Saturdays from 6:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Pacific Time. Unfortunately, there is no self-service for account configuration and troubleshooting.
The FreedomVoice system is specifically designed for simplicity and high usability. The web app allows quick access to sections like messaging, settings, reports, account, and call streams. The mobile app, on the other hand, has dedicated sections for recent calls, contacts, dial pad, voicemail, and text. However, we deducted points due to frequent app crashes and an outdated interface.
FreedomVoice offers excellent value for money with its flexible pricing and budget-friendly plans. All subscriptions include unlimited SMS and a variety of call management features. However, its user interface looks outdated compared to other cloud phone systems. It also scored poorly in popularity, as most businesses prefer a VoIP provider with rich collaboration capabilities.
Here are the most recent ratings earned by FreedomVoice on popular review sites:
- Trustpilot: 4.9 out of 5 based on 1,462 reviews
- Google Play: 2.4 out of 5 based on 132 reviews
How We Evaluated FreedomVoice
We tested FreedomVoice and checked user feedback on popular review websites. As the basis for our evaluation, we compared it with other popular virtual phone systems in the market. From there, we created a scoring system divided into a set of criteria: pricing, general features, niche features, customer service, ease of use, and expert score.
Learn how we evaluated FreedomVoice by clicking on the tabs below:
20% of Overall Score
We checked for the availability of a free plan, free trial, and discounts for annual billing and volume purchases. We provide additional points if the provider’s base plan costs $30 or less.
30% of Overall Score
We looked at capabilities essential to a virtual phone system, such as unlimited calls, audio/video conferencing, and a mobile app. We also considered the type of uptime service level agreement (SLA). FreedomVoice gets an additional point for the availability of any of these features.
15% of Overall Score
We checked the niche features of FreedomVoice to see the additional value users get by subscribing. In evaluating phone systems, we check if they offer overseas calling, international numbers, and an IVR system. We also give additional points if it has robust integrations.
10% of Overall Score
We assess the quality of customer service by checking the number of hours and days the support team is reachable. Higher points are given if it operates 24/7. We also looked at the availability of customer support channels, including email, phone, and live chat.
10% of Overall Score
We evaluated FreedomVoice’s user interface based on its usability and the technical skill required to set up and operate its entire platform. We explored its web portal and mobile app and considered the firsthand experience of its users.
15% of Overall Score
We came up with our expert score by comparing FreedomVoice against other leading virtual phone systems. We also consulted recent FreedomVoice reviews to see what others say about its features, ease of use, cost-effectiveness, and popularity.
FreedomVoice is an excellent solution for small businesses looking for a budget-friendly virtual phone system with rich call management features. It offers metered and unlimited calling plans with free local, vanity, or toll-free numbers. However, those looking for collaboration features, international numbers, and third-party integrations should look for alternatives. Take advantage of its 30-day free trial to see if it fits your business needs.